requests

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

requests

Post by deviant »

I know this is a touchy topic for a lot of DJs.....

Post you request stories here....

I get the usual ones.....

Flaunt it..... :pukeright:
Maddona....
something we can sing along to
Mylo

I usually say something like "look I do have that record, but for some reason I didn't bring it along tonight"..... this way I don't have to get nagged any more and the people asking don't feel like I'm putting down their favourite music because I actually own the record (as far as they know). WIN-WIN

The reason I posted this thread is because last weekend I got THE best request I have ever got......

"Play some more Tipper!!!" and this from some random dude I don't even know :) Made my night :D

(Tipper is one of my fav all time producers ; )
Fents

Post by Fents »

Kylie Minouge by some chick last night at Lounge. Fikuss says "fents u got any kylie in ur bag" so i pulled out and ed rush and optical tune and said this is the closet thing i have...

Tim dropped All good by De La after the kylie request and the same chick came and danced about 10 cm's away from Mine and Tims face singing every lyric and making us feel rather uncomfrtable.

It Aint all good...thats the truth.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

"Can you play the music so I can dance like the Dolphin"
Don't hate me for house
marcus

Re: requests

Post by marcus »

deviant wrote:I know this is a touchy topic for a lot of DJs.....

Post you request stories here....

I get the usual ones.....

Flaunt it..... :pukeright:
Maddona....
something we can sing along to
Mylo

I usually say something like "look I do have that record, but for some reason I didn't bring it along tonight"..... this way I don't have to get nagged any more and the people asking don't feel like I'm putting down their favourite music because I actually own the record (as far as they know). WIN-WIN

The reason I posted this thread is because last weekend I got THE best request I have ever got......

"Play some more Tipper!!!" and this from some random dude I don't even know :) Made my night :D

I don't mind people requesting tunes, but prefer they didn't. I could go on some large discussion about this, but won't at this stage.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
marcus

Post by marcus »

But it is nice when people come up and congratulate you on a tune you played. A couple of months back I dropped Kasha - U, and had some guy come up and tell me he hadn't heard a Melb DJ drop that in a while. Felt pretty happy about that.
johnnynostars

Post by johnnynostars »

Always a funny topic.

One from a friend's party:

Slow Cousin: Hey you got any dance music?
Me: This is dance music. You can dance to it. (playing dnb)
Slow Cousin: I mean do you have any hard-house?
Me: Sorry, nah.

I made a t-shirt for a friend that says "I hate deck pests", but I never made one for myself. Also, "Got any Chisel?".
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I tend to get

"can you please leave"

and

"who the fuck do you think you are"

a lot.

:teef:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i always like overhearing

'can you play something GOOD?"

:)
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

drives me nuts sometimes...
'got any ministry of sound?' is one i get a lot.
soundcloud.com/sternumbreaks
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i always get asked for 'when is the next dj starting'

i've tried to find it online for years but no one seems to stock a record by that name

:?
deviant

Post by deviant »

Risky wrote:drives me nuts sometimes...
ummm :? :?: wtf

that could be anything!!! :lol:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

One time I got "do you have that ministry of sound mix cd"
Don't hate me for house
marcus

Post by marcus »

Once I got - "can you play some Kid Kenobi music? I love Kid Kenobi"

also from another girl on the same night - "can you play some pendulum?"

First request was met quite easily, second one I was pissed off because I didn't bring the record along...
betson

Post by betson »

You guys have it easy, try DJ'ing in the sticks. :?

"play something we can dance too?"
"like what"
"Er ahh, got any Paul Simon"

:x :x
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Another good one.

Old Lady : "Right. I see what you're doing here but It;s not working. I'm from a dance background. Lets get this party going. When I wave at you from the dancefloor, drop something with a Michael Jackson beat and I'll get some feet moving"
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

jbs wrote:"Can you play the music so I can dance like the Dolphin"
Or like a pony if Chicken's on the floor...

:smt043
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

:lol: jbs. that's brilliant
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

To her credit she actually did dance like the dophin
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

witty_pseudonym wrote::lol: jbs. that's brilliant
I have so many more.

one time some guy told Adam that he could see Adam didn't like the tunes he was playing. He could see it in his eyes. Why didn't he man up and play some Aussie rock.
Don't hate me for house
marcus

Post by marcus »

jbs wrote:Another good one.

Old Lady : "Right. I see what you're doing here but It;s not working. I'm from a dance background. Lets get this party going. When I wave at you from the dancefloor, drop something with a Michael Jackson beat and I'll get some feet moving"
I find it funny people never have any respect for what you do sometimes. Requests don't so much bother me at gigs where you're supposed to being playing crap, but when you're at a breaks gig and people request that shit, it's hard not to shout abuse at people.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

gnat wrote:
jbs wrote:"Can you play the music so I can dance like the Dolphin"
Or like a pony if Chicken's on the floor...

:smt043
or an octopus if g_m's on the floor.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Also one guy rocked up with records one time and told tom to step aside because he'd just finished playing at the provincial, had a crate full of tunes from England and was in the Zone.

Ahh Bimbo. I miss it sometimes.
Don't hate me for house
CoB

Post by CoB »

hrm..
well I had someone ask me to play something like.. "maria" or.. *shrugs*
I had no idea what she was on about.. then she started saying.. cmon you know it.. then starting trying ot say the words, and still.. i had no idea.. so I said somin like. if it doesn't sound like the music I'm playing, I doubt i've heard it.. I have a very closed mind when it comes to music.. then she said somin crap like "you're a dj and you dont know this song"
so i punched her in the face..
well.. i should have.. she was pissing me off..
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

"Do you have anthing with words in it... You know, singing?"

And in response to dnb: "Do you have anything that doesn't go like 'boom chit, badoom badoom chit?" :lol:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i got the old 'play some tunez with words man' request a few times last night.

it was awesome.
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

deviant wrote:
ummm :? :?: wtf

that could be anything!!! :lol:
EXACTLY!
AJ

Post by AJ »

Annoying drunk girl: "You got any De La Soul?"
Me: "Sure, I'll put it on for you."

*5 mins later, plays De La Soul*

ADG: "When are you gonna play De La Soul?"
M: "This is De La Soul"
ADG: "I wanted a different one."
M: "...seriously, fuck off."
nic

Post by nic »

"Play some more Tipper!!!" and this from some random dude I don't even know Smile Made my night Very Happy

im noit random dude!.

play some sibegg
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

haha AJ
thats also what shits me.
when i get a pendulum request at a party, i'll play the pendulum track i want to play.

which most likely isn't on hold your colour, so they come back saying 'when when?'
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

shepherd wrote:i always get asked for 'when is the next dj starting'

i've tried to find it online for years but no one seems to stock a record by that name

:?
i think it got a repressing have you checked out Sub Strata?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Risky wrote:haha AJ
thats also what shits me.
when i get a pendulum request at a party, i'll play the pendulum track i want to play.

which most likely isn't on hold your colour, so they come back saying 'when when?'

so you're really saying you don't take requests ;) ... cos my interpretation of a request is that it involves an artist AND a song title ...
calstro

Post by calstro »

jbs wrote:
One time I got "do you have that ministry of sound mix cd"
Thats GOLD. :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

dude, that happened to me @ honky tonks.... was hilililiararararious :lol:

not :?

This older chick was going "You need to build us up, you know, like the good DJs"

bloody hell :roll:
deviant

Post by deviant »

:lol:

the google ad I saw in this thread just now was

"kylie Minogue Ringtones" :lol:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

"Build me up Buttercup" when playing breaks is always good too.
Don't hate me for house
Stray

Post by Stray »

deviant wrote: "You need to build us up, you know, like the good DJs"
Ahahaha.. owned!
deviant

Post by deviant »

you are
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

they should set up digital jukeboxes 5m away from the console, if you ain't happy with what the dj is playing, put on the headphones, $1 for 2 songs.......

hmmmm, you can make a fortune....
ImageImage
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I just tell people that whats playing right now is what they asked for.

At a bar called barry they have a sign saying
"for requests text 04...." then they go on Barry's text out list. Every good dj in Melbs needs a copy of that sign so they can just point to it and go "sorry mate venue policy..." then the crub sack requester will go on Barry's text out list!! and hey its probably a meeting of lost souls.

I've tried most techniques like "yeah yeah" then blatant ignoring them, blatantly ignoring them from the start, explaining to people etc. they pretty much dont work at all 100% of the time.

What Dan said earlier works pretty much guaranteed "oh I think i have that I'll just check come back later." then if they even bother you go "sorry bro, i didnt pack it tonight, would have been perfect too!"

Only a few times have requests been a good thing.
Once i saw a dude ask for a tune that was cued up waiting to play and my mate went "oh yeah sweet as" and dropped it right then.

I once had a dude request a tune that so perfectly mixed into what i was playing i still use it today and i have a double so its even better.
flippo

Post by flippo »

I was at the nash in geelong on a friday night, really pissed. Dude was playing some cool hiphop, Was not the usual DJ, I shoulted "play drum n bass!" and with 30 seconds I was listening to Seba. Cocks were taken out.
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

marcus wrote:

I find it funny people never have any respect for what you do sometimes. Requests don't so much bother me at gigs where you're supposed to being playing crap, but when you're at a breaks gig and people request that shit, it's hard not to shout abuse at people.
You can't get too angry at them, most of the time they mean no offense,...when I was playing dnb at e55 a couple of weeks ago some guy came and asked if I had any Jason Midro..., at the same time he complimented me on the tunes I was playing,...and this was after I said 'no' so all in all it was quite positive. If it bothers you alot, just explain to them why its not cool to request,...unless they are blind drunk...just look busy mixing.
JdN

Post by JdN »

I think this is the right place but I'm not sure :

http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7305
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

google ad for me is "Fleurville Diaper Bags"
Escape Pod & Mothership Bags A variety of colours available <<< is that a joke
marcus

Post by marcus »

Scholtzy wrote:
marcus wrote:

You can't get too angry at them, most of the time they mean no offense,...when I was playing dnb at e55 a couple of weeks ago some guy came and asked if I had any Jason Midro..., at the same time he complimented me on the tunes I was playing,...and this was after I said 'no' so all in all it was quite positive. If it bothers you alot, just explain to them why its not cool to request,...unless they are blind drunk...just look busy mixing.
Hehe, quite true. I'm always polite dealing with requests, as anybody who knows me can attest, I usually even crack a joke with them, apart from the time when I ...... (j.k.)!

Yeah the blind drunk persistent deck pest is something you have to deal with I suppose :lol: .
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

I played in a lot of crap pubs years ago and was at one out in Hastngs. It was a weird place because it's near the Navy barracks. So I'd have navy sailors blowing me kisses requesting Kylie on one side of the room, and red necks wanting Cold Chisel on the other. One night a biker came up and asked if I had "Jailbreak" ACDC. It must have had some sentimental value!!
Now, obviousy I didn't have it so I gave him the normal "sorry mate, left at home" speech and he reached over the perspex barrier (to protect the DJ) and lifted me up by neck. He kept repeating, "play Accadacca you c..t" but I couldn't breathe let alone say anything. Eventually he let go (the bouncers just looked the other way) and walked off.
Anyway, the next DJ arrrived and I said "have you got Jailbreak ACDC?' He just looked at me and said "yeah...(pause)....did the bikers rough you up?" I said "yeah how did you know?", and he replied "why do think I f....ing bring the best of ACDC every week!!!!?"
Iv'e got more stories like this, if the threads still going I'l post some more later. :lol:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Great thread and I have heard many Scotrod stories, so hopefully he'll reprint them.

To me, I dont get offended by people requesting tunes...even if they're shit or wrong for the vibe or time. They're just pissed punters and dont know any better most of the time. Comes with the territory IMO.

I'm always extremely nice about it and just lay blame on the faceless manager. "Sorry the manager booked me to play funk all night long...I would though if I was in control" or "Believe me, I love that tune, but the manager's trying to move the night in a differenet direction." That usually works, but not always.

A few weeks ago I was playing downstairs at Weedhopper and it was a bit slow earlier in the night...so hip hop and soul was what I was playing. Drunk dude walked down with his girl and jumped in my personal space (2 inches away) and nicely told me that they wanted to dance. Mind you, nobody else was on the dancefloor at the time, but there were a bunch of people in the room. So I played some more upbeat hip hop (De La, etc) and 3 songs later there was now an OK dancefloor (only about 10 or so, but a good vibe). He comes into my personal space again and says not-so-nicely that this wasn't what he wanted and to play some house music. I ignored him this time and continued to play to the room. So he comes up a third time and demands house music or him and his girl are leaving. Perfectly timed, a large group of women roll downstairs and completely pack out the place (which isn't hard there) while he's got his back to the dancefloor. He's telling me how shit I am and that I dont know what I'm doing while a packed room of nubile females are rockin out behind him. I just pointed and said, "Sorry, man. This is what THEY want!" He left.

But the all-time greatest request any DJ in this town will ever have to endure...

"Mate, when's Boogs comin on?"

:D
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

"Mate, when's Boogs comin on?"

Now that would be a dope t-shirt!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

ShiKung wrote:"Mate, when's Boogs comin on?"

Now that would be a dope t-shirt!
I reckon it'd sell well. :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

TheOperatives wrote:they should set up digital jukeboxes 5m away from the console, if you ain't happy with what the dj is playing, put on the headphones, $1 for 2 songs.......

hmmmm, you can make a fortune....
I've heard that Molly Meldrum takes SMS requests at heat :) :lol:

I might start an Alias DJ name.... DJ REQUEST

I could set up one of those 19 text thingys.... 19 REQUEST (19 7378378)
I'd charge people $3.50 per song request. I could use serrato and get one of those wireless broadband connections... If I didn't hav the tune already I could download it there and then :)
Scotrod wrote:I played in a lot of crap pubs years ago and was at one out in Hastngs. It was a weird place because it's near the Navy barracks. So I'd have navy sailors blowing me kisses requesting Kylie on one side of the room, and red necks wanting Cold Chisel on the other. One night a biker came up and asked if I had "Jailbreak" ACDC. It must have had some sentimental value!!
Now, obviousy I didn't have it so I gave him the normal "sorry mate, left at home" speech and he reached over the perspex barrier (to protect the DJ) and lifted me up by neck. He kept repeating, "play Accadacca you c..t" but I couldn't breathe let alone say anything. Eventually he let go (the bouncers just looked the other way) and walked off.
Anyway, the next DJ arrrived and I said "have you got Jailbreak ACDC?' He just looked at me and said "yeah...(pause)....did the bikers rough you up?" I said "yeah how did you know?", and he replied "why do think I f....ing bring the best of ACDC every week!!!!?"
Iv'e got more stories like this, if the threads still going I'l post some more later. Laughing
That's gold!! :lol:

except the lifting-up-by-the-neck bit :shock:
drew

Post by drew »

@ schotlzy

"you got any hard NRG"

:teef: