MB.COM: Your thoughts...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Is MB.com becoming less interesting these days?

Hell no, MB.com is the shiz!
50%
Yes, it sends me to sleep
50%

Total votes: 68

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Excuse me for paraphrasing and destroying Bob Marley's original lyrics, but....

"You can keep some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't keep all the people happy all of the time."

Shit's never gonna be perfect my brothers and sisters, but it sure evena bad day on MB.com beats the bestest of day on ITM in my honest opinion.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

or would use it more for music if it was formatted that way....
Carlz

Post by Carlz »

Joe Seven wrote:A split forum with a page for music related promotion, be it upcoming gigs, radio shows, new record releases, etc sounds like a good idea to me.
Agreed!
I love this forum & shootin the breeze with other bored workers during the day but would be cool to have quick & easy access to upcoming events, news, releases etc for those that come on here for that sole intention, then another 'lounge type' area which is bit more casual. The first time I came on here was just before a melb trip and we wanted to check out what to do when we were here and got recommended this site, so was a bit lost for just a minute trying to find events section, but yeh now you're stuck with me haha.
alcohol may not be the answer.. but at least I can't remember the question!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

BUMP
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mecka

Post by mecka »

I reckon we at least need a sticky with shows & links to their respective threads on the forum.

There's nothing wrong with promotional threads in amongst all the other crap we post on here - I'd prefer to be able to see the promo threads here instead of having to go to another page. People are right though, once promo threads slip to page 2 it's a little ... i dunno but those threads always, always get bumped by somebody.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

There was or is a whats on section but none of the promoters used it!!

http://melbournebeats.com/whatson/
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Yeah, first thing i saw was an option to post a gig but no listings of other gigs...

at first glance, doesn't look like anyone pays attention to it.

not very attractive is it?

plus its good to have related chat linked to the gig, not just an anonymous listing.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

How about a sticky or thread in the main forum that promoters put a link in that takes you to the thread located in the whats on section, that way you can be selective of what you look at, its up to date and you are still in the main thread. Or something to that effect anyway.
deviant

Post by deviant »

nic wrote:Make everything good 'sticky' I reckon.

Then introduce a new type called 'slippy' that gets put on shit threads. Then they slip away quicker into oblivion. The logo for this will be a drip

Melbeats is always boring when you press refresh again and again, and mildly titillating when you visit once every few hours or days.

Lol and teef are also the most boring things ever, teef especially. Wouldnt it be more exciting to insult someone than trying to cover it with a teef and pretend its lol? lol. Perhaps the biggupping needs to be reeled in though, its outta controlol.

Melb beats is about as exciting as forums get though, and is ultimately only as exciting as the people online and then the people you have a personal connection with.

More arguing would be best. everyone loves trouble on teh interent, it can make the most trivial things very exciting.
you're a drip

lolnic....
-------------------------------------
shepherd.... bumping threads DOES help, it's not a"lack of interest" in the gig that necesarily pushes it off the page 1... it's more like a greater interest in threads that are posted in more during work hours.

Example, there was a thread on here about some live dark electro gig on this friday. I had forgotten about it until one of the promoters bumped it and now I am definately going. I also don't see how this could "annoy" you, it is a music forum.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

It's neck-a-neck.... who's going to win?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

agree to disagree deviant ... i personally find it annoying and it makes the promoters look desperate. there's more ways to market something than ramming it down peoples throats imo.

may i qualify there's varying levels of bumping.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i don't cry anymore about it dude ... those days are behind me.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

i still cry
nic

Post by nic »

citcizen smif: I can see you are passionate about teh music. What else do you have to say?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

... and doves cry too
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

masturbating makes kittens cry
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Lizkins wrote:masturbating makes kittens cry
randomness like whut
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

VOTE 1: QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

:lol:

PS: I hate kittens
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Last edited by Lizkins on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

shepherd wrote:agree to disagree deviant ... i personally find it annoying and it makes the promoters look desperate. there's more ways to market something than ramming it down peoples throats imo.

may i qualify there's varying levels of bumping.
I agree with the bold part.

I bump on here, but I am on here posting 20 something posts a day. I bump every few days on thescene, inthemix, etc etc becuase just simply don't hang around those forums.

in any case, internet promo is only reaches about %20 of the people who are likely to come (in my observation).... so yeah :?
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

We cant all talk about music all the time, even if we do love it. When we go to parties we dont just talk to eachother about music, we talk about other random shit as well.

MB is an extention of those parties and well as a medium to promote such parties. So we need to do both talk shit and talk/promote music.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Maybe if peeps wrote shit in rhymes and anyone reading it could hum along to their favourite tune or somthing.

I like the randomness, banter, scuffling etc but not at the cost of not hearing/ seeing/ reading promo threads.

Agreed there are varying degrees of bumps. Speed bumps. Packed clubs whre drinks get bumped out of peeps hands. Bumps that get inhaled.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
flippo

Post by flippo »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:hire a team of dedicated bumpers?

:roll:
HAHAHAH!!!! I just woke up my housemate because I spat wine everywhere as I cackled reading that..
lynt

Post by lynt »

How good is wine!

omg.
nic

Post by nic »

We cant all talk about music all the time, even if we do love it. When we go to parties we dont just talk to eachother about music, we talk about other random shit as well.

MB is an extention of those parties and well as a medium to promote such parties. So we need to do both talk shit and talk/promote music.
whenever i see you speakin kronz i lol to myslef because it seems Dr Phil is spekaing for you in a concise and convincing self assured manner.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

nic wrote:

whenever i see you speakin kronz i lol to myslef because it seems Dr Phil is spekaing for you in a concise and convincing self assured manner.
Thats fucking right!!! And dont you forget it!!! Now lets get back to the problem at hand..........
flippo

Post by flippo »

shepherd wrote:yeah but on the other hadn foundation stepper - it means sometimes there's a glut of meaningless/useless event threads at the top of page 1 ...
are any event threads usless or meaningless?

so, a new comming logs onto the site after searching for a forum or other website about the dance music scene in melbourne, you yould rather they find threads with people saying goodmorning to eachother and shareing their passion for emoticons than to find information on parties that they can go to?

I just don't see what is so offensive about events, which I would think are a priority, being bumped to the first page.
mecka

Post by mecka »

on the flip side...

PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

I'm with Liz I'm 50/50 as well.
Do you go out to a gig and just talk about the music that is playing? (Well yell talk more likely)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Mecka - you is well funny! :lol:
mrj

Post by mrj »

Geeeeeeeeez would you like some cheese with your whine?

My understanding is Lucas and co wanted to keep most the action in one place and have a high noise board, rather than many many boards barely moving.

I think its the right idea. I love that I can jump into the main threads page and look at info on events that I want to go to, and engage in some endless random banter as well.

I think splitting the board up would be a bad move as it would only stifle.

Nothing broken here IMO. And who is to say what is broke and what aint?

Fake him away toys!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

Joe Seven wrote:A split forum with a page for music related promotion, be it upcoming gigs, radio shows, new record releases, etc sounds like a good idea to me.

This is a Music forum isnt it, Im sure im not the only one who just uses this forum to keep up to date with whats happening in the local music scene and to promote the stuff im involved with.

If you seperate it, then people who are interested in what's happening music wise can check out that forum, and people who are more interested in nonsense can enjoy their mb experience without pesky promotional threads bothering them.

Id be interested to see how many people on here actually use the forum for music info.
:scr1pt: nuff said
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I must admit on the production side of things I've started posting more at nuskoolbreaks.co.uk simply cause there's way more producers on there procrastinating from writing music who are happy to share tips + advice :D
deviant

Post by deviant »

I cannot beleive how many people choose the "boring" option. If it's that crap and boring then why do you hang out here? Old times sake? nothing better to do?

Only truly boring people continue to do boring things.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

people who voted that its boring, start being more interesting, thank you.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

MY Mum's old adage: boring thing's dont exist, only boring people. Or something like that....
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

Removing some of the bullshit spam threads is a good idea imo. I Like MB, but their needs to be a bit more moderation.
soundcloud.com/sternumbreaks
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Lizkins wrote:people who voted that its boring, start being more interesting, thank you.
people who voted interesting, start being more intersting, you may be boring and not know it.

we can all help with this, posting in the right threads. not hating on others ideas or maybe trying to be more constructive with comments.
Will

Post by Will »

I reckon leave all threads in the one basket.

But get the 'What's On' working properly and have links in each listing to an appropriate thread.

That way people can keep track of what's happening without segregation. Easy.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

factory worker wrote:
Lizkins wrote:people who voted that its boring, start being more interesting, thank you.
people who voted interesting, start being more intersting, you may be boring and not know it.

we can all help with this, posting in the right threads. not hating on others ideas or maybe trying to be more constructive with comments.
:?

but we seem to be fine with the way we are and the way MB is, so why don't the people who find the place boring do something about it.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Lizkins wrote:
factory worker wrote:

but we seem to be fine with the way we are and the way MB is, so why don't the people who find the place boring do something about it.
check the poll Liz. you migth think it's fine.
Last few days have been interesting fo sure.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Will wrote:I reckon leave all threads in the one basket.

But get the 'What's On' working properly and have links in each listing to an appropriate thread.

That way people can keep track of what's happening without segregation. Easy.
:scr1pt:

+ a bit more keeping to the topic of the thread would be good too. A little sideways banter is good but most of the time on here threads get totally out of control with the off-topic ramblings.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

factory worker wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
factory worker wrote: people who voted interesting, start being more intersting, you may be boring and not know it.

check the poll Liz. you migth think it's fine.
Yeah i know matey, its not what i mean. I am more referring to those people who are saying its boring but not saying why, or who even post much. I am finding the poll interesting too.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

factory worker wrote:check the poll Liz. you migth think it's fine.
True. But has it been music based interesting?
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

DBoy wrote:
factory worker wrote:check the poll Liz. you migth think it's fine.
True. But has it been music based interesting?
Mostly apart from all the silences between posts.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Music related or not, is interesting = is good IMO.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Risky wrote:Removing some of the bullshit spam threads is a good idea imo. I Like MB, but their needs to be a bit more moderation.

Really?

We (lucas and I) like to think the people can moderate themselves really... we're not anyone's parents.

Let the people run free. I guess we maintain more than moderate, no point being a post nazi... it's not our place, really. That is unless it directly affects MB.C and it's members.
marcus

Post by marcus »

lynt wrote:
Risky wrote:Removing some of the bullshit spam threads is a good idea imo. I Like MB, but their needs to be a bit more moderation.

Really?

We (lucas and I) like to think the people can moderate themselves really... we're not anyone's parents.

Let the people run free. I guess we maintain more than moderate, no point being a post nazi... it's not our place, really. That is unless it directly affects MB.C and it's members.
:scr1pt:

I'd have to say that it appears there has been less moderation of late, and the board still operates itself well. I think the moderators are doing a great job in ensuring that the board runs effectively.

A few spam threads, who cares?? They'll drop off the board soon enough. I'd prefer there to be spam threads than strict moderating.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I'm a newcomer to this forum, as you can most likely tell. :) (first emoticon?).

I got put onto this place by someone at a totally unrelated forum.

I like it here, I come past every day or two and checkover the mix section and see what people are talking about.

I don't really understand half of what the crew talk about so I tend to lurk primarily. I like the 'soup' format of this joint though, its nice to not have strict guidelines and formats.

Big ups MB.C crew. It's good having the tangents like street art thread and whatnot. Keep it up.

-lachie
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
mecka

Post by mecka »

*catalyst wrote: I got put onto this place by someone at a totally unrelated forum.
That someone was me! You can all thank me for catalyst's presence!

I'm bored. :lol: