MB.COM: Your thoughts...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Is MB.com becoming less interesting these days?

Hell no, MB.com is the shiz!
50%
Yes, it sends me to sleep
50%

Total votes: 68

Direkt

MB.COM: Your thoughts...

Post by Direkt »

Due to comments by people that MB.com is becoming boring and less centred around the the music we all love (see the MB.com ad thread), I thought I'd do a poll to see what everyone thinks.

(Please bear in mind that if you (or we) determine MB.com to have become a little stagnant of late, then the responsibility falls primarily on our shoulders as MB.com crew - not admin, who do all the work just for the love of it. Big ups MB.com admin!)

So feel free to voice any constructive criticism if you feel it is warranted... Likewise with any support or positive feedback.... :D
Last edited by Direkt on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ohhhh its 50/50 but no one has said anything, how dull!

well i get bored and like the sound of my own typing, so i am sweet :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hi Liz!
calstro

Post by calstro »

I remember this happening to MJ.

Then all non-dnb talk was banned / deleted...

Then no-one bothered looking half the time...

IMO- A scene isn't just the music... it's the people.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:Hi Liz!

Hi Direktor :D How YOU doin?

Cal - too right!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

A good point there Calstro!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

This conversation does not need to happen.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lizkins wrote:

Cal - too right!
I am in a good time! (said in a Borat voice).

Looking forward to Shadow and Mos Def tonight - you going?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

calstro wrote:IMO- A scene isn't just the music... it's the people.
this is what we concluded a while ago in various other circles, when everyone started putting planets (blog aggregators) up.

but if you look at all the huge threads: ttan, big ups, gripes, I think it's doing pretty alright. the only complaint (valid imo) was that a huge spam of random nonsense threads (which I didn't bother reading) were knocking legitimate music threads off, so all the random threads were actually to the detriment of people trying to find out about the music. which is fair enough imo.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

Cal - too right!
I am in a good time! (said in a Borat voice).

Looking forward to Shadow and Mos Def tonight - you going?
sweet as Sir 8)

Nah i didn't want to spend the money *ducks for cover*

I saw Grand Master Flash and Dexter which was sweet enough for me :D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Dexter is good! In fact, I'd say he;s my favourite Oz DJ and one of my fave's worldwide (I voted from him in the ITM poll).

Fooishbar: agree whole heartedly.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:Dexter is good! In fact, I'd say he;s my favourite Oz DJ and one of my fave's worldwide (I voted from him in the ITM poll).

so did i :D 8) love him! always guaranteed good night out! :smt023
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

considering the high proportion of office boredom/off topic crap on this site why is there no OT board? wouldn't it be a lot cleaner so that music stuff could actually survive on its own without being knocked four pages down in one day by talk about food snacks and shit?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

That is a good idea... but I think there was some talk of seperating music content from general banter - but I'm not sure it got the nod of approval....

I do like snacks though. In fact, next to Bacon and Eggs they would be my favourite food. Particularly fond of Choc Tiny Teddies, Barbecue Shapes and Dim Sims.... mmm snacks.....
CoB

Post by CoB »

this thread is boring!!!

u know though..
like..

To be honest..
DO NOT SEPERATE BANTER FROM MUSIC CONTENT!

erm..
just my opinion..
but..
when you do that..
people will go and sit in the general banter thread..
and htere will be people in te music content threads..
and.. well..
the people just looking at music will be bored because all they see is music, and probably wont venture into the banter threads to say random things as they might if they were seeing the banterness right infront of them.
and the banterful people may get bored because although it is nice to speak to the same people over and over, some of the random people that mainly look at the music may not say things, and therefore the people talking to each other a lot will talk less at them..

erm..
well..

*shrugs*
this just seems to be a trend i seen when this thing happens..
threads like these ones also are normally something i find destroys things..
some people say..
"OMG, MB IS NO LONGER COOL!!
I'm getting outta here!!"

or something like that..

but now im rambling, and. oh....
I was wondering why your s looked like an A direktor.. but it turns out it actually is an A.. therefore it is ok.. i guess...

like.. for the auburn sound system..
I was thinking "why does that say SAS"
then i read the words underneath, and though.. "Suburn Sound System" now I'm really confused as to why it says SAS.. and then I started typing this, and looked again, to read under that.. in real writing. where it says "Auburn Sound System"
and that makes it all OK!

I'll stop the rambling now..
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
FoundationStepper

I think that at least gig promotions could do with their own home...

sure, there is no need to seperate general banter from music banter

but a newcomer would not have a snowflakes chance of seeing whats up and coming in melbourne becuase its so buried. this then encourages people to do pointless bumps on thier promotions thread.

no-one used the events page anyhow, such information best suits a forum format I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol: @ cob
Last edited by Direkt on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calstro

Post by calstro »

perhaps actual event listings should be made sticky? at least then they wont get bumped off...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

now there's an idea... sticky up to the date after the event.... that's probably a whole lot of sticky-stuff though hey?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yeah that would be a whole page of sticky i reckon...mmmmm sticky :smt037
FoundationStepper

you would want to make sure its non-selective.

and anyways, it would probably take up a fair amount of space I think. up to a whole page of stickies at any one time perhaps?
nic

Post by nic »

Make everything good 'sticky' I reckon.

Then introduce a new type called 'slippy' that gets put on shit threads. Then they slip away quicker into oblivion. The logo for this will be a drip

Melbeats is always boring when you press refresh again and again, and mildly titillating when you visit once every few hours or days.

Lol and teef are also the most boring things ever, teef especially. Wouldnt it be more exciting to insult someone than trying to cover it with a teef and pretend its lol? lol. Perhaps the biggupping needs to be reeled in though, its outta controlol.

Melb beats is about as exciting as forums get though, and is ultimately only as exciting as the people online and then the people you have a personal connection with.

More arguing would be best. everyone loves trouble on teh interent, it can make the most trivial things very exciting.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:This conversation does not need to happen.

check the poll D, seems it does :?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

nic wrote:teef are also the most boring things ever, teef especially.
:shock:

Dude!!!

PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Lizkins wrote:
Direktor wrote:Dexter is good! In fact, I'd say he;s my favourite Oz DJ and one of my fave's worldwide (I voted from him in the ITM poll).

me, or dexta? ;)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

fooishbar wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

me, or dexta? ;)

:? ummm i don't get it. oh wait, are you the good night out? *giggles*
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i think it's fine ... some of the random gig bumping and shameless self promotion is a bit tedious ... but easy enough to ignore.

for those who love to bump - no one cares ... bumping your thread to the top of the page doesn't do you any favours.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

nic wrote:More arguing would be best. everyone loves trouble on teh interent, it can make the most trivial things very exciting.
this is one of the reasons i love Mb, becasue there isnt lots of arguing.

the other site im on daily is full of beef, and while it can be exciting, it gets shitty to when you think your part of a commnuity and then the key plyers are al trying to kill each other.
but that site has over 10,000 memebers all over the world so you get more beef with more peeps...its all relative.

and on the note of music talk vs trashtalk > music is an integral parts of everyone heres lives, be it work or play or love or hate, its just part of who we are. i think having a specail palce for events and a different one for sticky snack foods could be good, but still, there isnt so much shite on here that you fel youre wading through it.

on the whole, my intro to melb beats has been nothing but great.
ive met some of you and intend to meet more of you, so its not just random opinions in the ether but actual peoples....

props Mb....
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

shepherd wrote:bumping your thread to the top of the page doesn't do you any favours.
eh???

how many people go to page 2?
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:smt023

spot on geezer.

As much as I love my breaks, If it was all I talked about I'd be one helluva boring futha mucker

and there'd be no more random mrj, we can't have that
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

breaksRbest wrote:

:smt023

spot on geezer.

As much as I love my breaks, If it was all I talked about I'd be one helluva boring futha mucker

and there'd be no more random mrj, we can't have that
but without the music there's be no forum

and bumping threads may not make everyone care, but it sure is more likely to be seen on page 1.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

You can't stop people bumping threads (unless you can the forum), and it's true people don't check page 2 in general. I'd sooner do a 'search' than check page 2.

:lol: @ Nic's 'slippy' comments.

El scripto (coz I is a bilingual muther-fucker) to BRB's "breaks only = boring" call. Couldn't agree more (not regarding you personally of course, but all of us).
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
shepherd wrote:bumping your thread to the top of the page doesn't do you any favours.
eh???

how many people go to page 2?
no idea

but if your thread has gone to page 2 maybe there's better ways of generating interest than writing 'bump' and pushing it to page 1.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

hire a team of dedicated bumpers?

:roll:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Examples my good man?

Sounds like this is getting a bit finicky! I'm not sure exactly how detrimental/beneficial the whole art of 'bumping' is to people's actual enjoyment of the site.

I'm tipping content and maybe format would be more so.... but maybe it's just me.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I don't mind promoters bumping threads, and it is not like threads about garbage, like the Thins or Crinkles threads get bumped, they last a few days and slide of the 1st page.

What is the problem? Can people be more specific about their gripes.

Do you want us to stop talking about non-music stuff and just have less theads?

Do you want us to talk about more beats based stuff? In that case why don't you come up with the topics and start them off...?

I don't understand the issue here. :?:
FoundationStepper

I think the thing is that unless your gig is of personal interest to the smaller group people here who post chronically it is likely to get buried.

what keeps gig threads up the top is a degree of banter, not necessarily on the topic of the event itself, but tangents from there.

for someone who doesn't have a group of online associates who will randomly chat in said thread, theres not much you can do about it slipping down.

I think oppurtunities for people to view events would be much greater, and probably more balanced for music on the fringe of your normal breaks/dnb, if it was seperated from the main thread which very quickly pushes big bother, snack foods, good food, gripes, teeth music chat and props up to the top.

I have looked for event stuff one or two days after the original post only to find it three or more pages back...

now what chance would a random person who wants to find out about stuff on in melbourne have?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

yeah but on the other hadn foundation stepper - it means sometimes there's a glut of meaningless/useless event threads at the top of page 1 ... you can use the same argument as you have above but reverse it and say 'how can people find value in the site if all they are bombarded with is shameless bumps and useless info' Who wants to come back to that?
FoundationStepper

Im not in favour of pointless bumps, it doesn't have lasting power, and I they are naturally going to happen when your gig post goes back three pages in 24 hours...

i think that if they had a seperate page there would be less inclination for shameless bumps, by virtue that they are no longer competing with other dribble.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fair points IMO.

Maybe a seperate "Gigs" thread section, is that a good idea?

Where gigs only get listed, maybe in order of their scheduling and perhaps (if it's possible) we could make it so bumping 'gig' threads does not mean it moves up and/or down the page.

That way everyone is entitled to equal exposure based on the proximity of their gig to the current day.

Thoughts?
FoundationStepper

www.ozreggae.com works with a standard thread for gigs and it works nicely. i dont think it would necessarily need futher management (work for mods) than that. calanders work well though - same site has a good example of that too.

on ozreggae most people chat away in the main forum, but some come mainly for the gig element. I think it makes the music connection stronger for the greater audience who dont care about making banter on the internets
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Would not work IMO. People generally on this site know what they like and know what they are going too. I only come accross new events because they come up on the general page.

I suppose it would be interesting and meaningful to know how many people users view the site that don't post?

Surely Lucas could make these decisions based on the user info?
nic

Post by nic »

Everythign needs to be kept in the one forum. It looks busy and changes frequently. I like it that way.

I think the thing is that unless your gig is of personal interest to the smaller group people here who post chronically it is likely to get buried.
If it is of no interest to anyone then i dont see why it shouldnt slip away? I mean if no one likes it then let it die?
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Is this supposed to be a music only discussion forum? I was never under that impression, but I could be mistaken.

I did think this forum was about a community though, of diverse people with many different passions they like to discuss and share. Did I get that bit wrong too?
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
FoundationStepper

yeah, but you live here dBoy - with 5000 posts and counting. sure your point of view might be representative of most of your fellow boardies...

but it might be assuming too much of the unspoken majority, or minority out there. and you also want to think about what thier impression might be on first visit.

I remember mine - it seems like a lot of bored office workers...

and nic, I said personal interest - not musical interest - i.e. the friend or internet buddy of a person, who feels like random banter around the topic, or for the sake of banter.

anyway, my two cents as someone who doesn't have a lot to do with this place. take it or leave it.
FoundationStepper

it doesn't change that much anyways, the same 5-10 threads keep on sitting around the top... word association, thread about nothing, big bother etc

nothing wrong with any of it, just muddles the up and coming gig information
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

point taken foundation stepper, and I am sure that is why this issue has arisen.

+ I am not a promoter.

Guess the thing is MB.C should mean a lot of different things to a whole bunch of different peoples. I am indifferent so leave th people with issues to make them.

THe only reason I said anything is because part of the reason LC started MB.C was because TTAN, and those threads were being threatened on another board. So we brought them here.

But giving promoters and the scene more stregth gotta come first.
nic

Post by nic »

lol steppa.
you are probably right, I never post outside of work actually, and form teh times ov been on here after hours I aint seen anyone. noOne

But I think MB is definately 'new user friendly' sure there are alot of 'internet cliques' but that just happens when you know people, there still plenty of space to contribute and to garner information from regardless.

plenty of lol too.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

FoundationStepper wrote:yeah, but you live here dBoy - with 5000 posts and counting. sure your point of view might be representative of most of your fellow boardies...

but it might be assuming too much of the unspoken majority, or minority out there. and you also want to think about what thier impression might be on first visit.

and nic, I said personal interest - not musical interest - i.e. the friend or internet buddy of a person, who feels like random banter around the topic, or for the sake of banter.

anyway, my two cents as someone who doesn't have a lot to do with this place. take it or leave it.

ohh ohhh ohhh that's me, bored office worker :smt045

you make great points though matey, i often feel bad that gigs have to be bumped cos we are fucking around and starting new threads throughout the day, but i dunno if splitting it will work.

would it be tricky to split it for a while and do a test?
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

A split forum with a page for music related promotion, be it upcoming gigs, radio shows, new record releases, etc sounds like a good idea to me.

This is a Music forum isnt it, Im sure im not the only one who just uses this forum to keep up to date with whats happening in the local music scene and to promote the stuff im involved with.

If you seperate it, then people who are interested in what's happening music wise can check out that forum, and people who are more interested in nonsense can enjoy their mb experience without pesky promotional threads bothering them.

Id be interested to see how many people on here actually use the forum for music info.