Arts thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Checked out the Andy Warhol's time capsules today at the NGV. Pretty interesting stuff. Only 15 boxes of 600 on display.

Warning.. theres are lot of reading involved.. you'll need a fresh head for this and at least 2 hours :shock:

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I was inspired after my online art expedition the other day. created some wierd crap with my pen and my pad. let me know what you think.

http://www.users.on.net/~rmarko/phlog/

I'm no artist. I just dabble. btw i haven't drawn stuff since high school. (long time now) so i'm amazed i still have any drawing ability whatsoever.

especially being told (paraphrased) by my art teacher at the time I couldn't paint for shit. teachers can be cruel sometimes.

I basically draw wierd patterns and have no conceivable idea what the end picture will look like on paper. I wouldn't call it doodling, i think it's called something else. Anyway, enjoy :)
tripongale

art stuff

Post by tripongale »

apart from music anyone out there make art?
tripongale

art styles

Post by tripongale »

I wish I knew how to use this machine I could show some pics but they keep getting lost
Friday

Post by Friday »

going to the opening of this guys new exhibit tomorrow...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... m=storyrhs

very interesting pieces...
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Last edited by stovequeen on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

The Yellow Onion: New Works by Nathan Jurevicius @ Outre

Runs this Sat to 19th April

Opening night for Outre members tomorrow :D (but you need to rsvp to Outre)

There's a book and toy signing happening this sat from 12 to 2pm :D

For more info go to www.outregallery.com

Go check this out peeps 8)

Fents

Post by Fents »

Whats the name of the dude that does those pics on the web that are 3d tripped out shit.

One i remeber was like this house and ppl were walking on the floor roof and walls, i dont know what u call it...its sorta like 3d...someone must know the link!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Fents wrote:Whats the name of the dude that does those pics on the web that are 3d tripped out shit.

One i remeber was like this house and ppl were walking on the floor roof and walls, i dont know what u call it...its sorta like 3d...someone must know the link!
http://www.mcescher.com/

relativity

Friday

Post by Friday »

stovequeen wrote:The Yellow Onion: New Works by Nathan Jurevicius @ Outre

Runs this Sat to 19th April

Opening night for Outre members tomorrow :D (but you need to rsvp to Outre)

There's a book and toy signing happening this sat from 12 to 2pm :D

For more info go to www.outregallery.com

Go check this out peeps 8)

are you going fi?

i got the invite to this one too but had already commited to the cameron lindsay one...

thinking about going and checking it out on saturday though...
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I would also like to second Mr Warhol's time capsule exhibition, very interesting stuff. Do not go on a hangover....
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Can't make opening night Miss Friday.. im out of town.. will be stopping by next week tho. You should def. go to the opening....dude :shock:
Friday

Post by Friday »

i would but the other opening i'm going to is at 6.30pm and this one is 7pm... can't do both! :(
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Went to see Grotesque: The Diabolical and Fantastic in Art[\b] last weekend at the NVG

It was fantastic. Its running till 8th of May and its FREE. Some info below (taken from NVG site)....

Fantasy deserted by reason produces impossible monsters: united with it, fantasy is the mother of the arts and the source of their wonders - Goya
Fantastic creatures such as satyrs, demons, witches and monsters have featured in artistic imagery throughout the centuries. They have been used to give expression to religious beliefs, cultural anxieties, literary subjects or psychological insights and have provided fertile ground for artists' imaginings. Central to many artists' visualisations of these creatures has been the grotesque body. Characterised by the unnatural combination of body parts (human, bestial and other) or by the distortion of form, the grotesque body has featured in Christian imagery of the Devil and of Hell, in Romantic explorations of the irrational, in Symbolist divinations of man's inner world, and in twentieth-century visualisations of the alienated human condition. This exhibition draws upon the National Gallery of Victoria's rich collection of prints, drawings and illustrated books to explore the ways in which European artists have given expression to the monstrous, the diabolical and the fantastic from the fifteenth century through to the twenty-first century.

Artists in the exhibition include: Albrecht Dürer, Andrea Mantegna, Francisco Goya, William Blake, Eugène Delacroix, Pablo Picasso, Peter Booth and Jake and Dinos Chapman.

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/ngvinternational/
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

wish they were open later than 5
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
nic

Post by nic »

Grotesque: The Diabolical and Fantastic in Art
That is quiet a good exhibition! Some of those drawings and etchings at the time must have been quiet provocative...in religious and social terms.

Last year I went to the NGV late one saturday night (wish they were open later always) to see (cant remeber the name, comethign to do with four new artists?) but had a wicked Doug Aitken video installation featuring Andre 3000, and a Korean womans massive white cyber organic type robot plant things. They were amazing and looked wicked in the gallery at night all lit up.

More night gallery openings!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Pictures of the Floating World: Woodblock prints from the Japanese collection

22 April - 2 October 2005 - NGV Melbourne

^ Yoshu Chikanobu

This exhibtion features 80 works Japanese woodblock prints like the ones above. Including two of my fav's, Oju Shogetsu & Utagawa Yoshikau.

The prints date from 18th to early 20th century and represent the themes of beautiful women (bijin-ga), kabuki theatre actors, landscapes, history and mythology.

Check it out peeps :D
quick

Post by quick »

I want this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEKSINSKI-HORN-PLAY ... dZViewItem

but no money... hughbert, it would look great above you 24' widescreen... :P
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
nhd

Post by nhd »

stovequeen THANKYOU for the headsup!! woodblock prints are simply amazing, the detail is crazy, and the printing method ugh! they dont do it like that no more. 8) + i love japan
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

quick wrote:I want this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEKSINSKI-HORN-PLAY ... dZViewItem

but no money... hughbert, it would look great above you 24' widescreen... :P
they had (may still be there) in Outre for $700

i was so close to buying it for fucking months.

i have the perfect spot for it on my wall.

i shoulda go it. i still might. now he is dead and all.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
quick

Post by quick »

Too right, good investment.
jungle_tactics

Post by jungle_tactics »

I want this, but dont think its for sale :lol:

ATTACK, MY LEGION OF RADIOACTIVE CATS!!ONEshift!

:smt067
lynt

Post by lynt »

does "street" art go in here?

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

jungle_tactics wrote:I want this, but dont think its for sale :lol:

GO MY MUTANT FELINES!!! KILL! KILL!!!

LOL @ green pusses!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

jungle_tactics wrote:I want this, but dont think its for sale :lol:

heh that is fricken cool Jungle Tactics. Nice one indeed. :D
Friday

Post by Friday »

big ups to my sister in law.

she's only just moved to melbourne a couple of months ago to be with my brother (she's swedish but has been living in new york for years) and she's already got her first exhibition here this week!

awesome work: http://www.hannahgoldstein.net/

well done! :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Friday wrote:big ups to my sister in law.

she's only just moved to melbourne a couple of months ago to be with my brother (she's swedish but has been living in new york for years) and she's already got her first exhibition here this week!

awesome work: http://www.hannahgoldstein.net/

well done! :D
:D i can see your bro :wink:

You got such a talented extended family Lucie 8)
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol: yeah - i laughed when i saw some of the pics of my bro... hehe.

she really is talented! love her to bits. good choice on my brothers part ;) :P

you should check the exhibition out if you're about ;)
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Friday wrote: you should check the exhibition out if you're about ;)
yup. will try and get down there 8)
munt beard

Post by munt beard »

nic wrote:
Grotesque: The Diabolical and Fantastic in Art
That is quiet a good exhibition! Some of those drawings and etchings at the time must have been quiet provocative...in religious and social terms.

Last year I went to the NGV late one saturday night (wish they were open later always) to see (cant remeber the name, comethign to do with four new artists?) but had a wicked Doug Aitken video installation featuring Andre 3000, and a Korean womans massive white cyber organic type robot plant things. They were amazing and looked wicked in the gallery at night all lit up.

More night gallery openings!

Art After Dark

26 May 2006 until 27 May 2006

NGV International open until midnight Friday 26 and Saturday 27 May. See Pissarro after dark and enjoy the art, great food, wine and live music.

Part of Art After Dark
nic

Post by nic »

Arrrghhhh about time with teh night openings, too many kids and damn families on the weekends! Pity its Pissaro...

Get something more contemporary into ya NGV!

Theres some good / decent video work downstairs at ACMI at the moment, allthough alot of it is just underwheming and boring, its such a wicked gallery space and technology wise is 'world class' but teh work displayed there particulary the 'interactive' works just dont cut it. I suppose its gonna take a while for technology to filter down an cathc up with the facilities. Im sure the cost of utilising technology in art plays a part in this. Anyway I love AMCI.

The Particia Puccini work is worth going to check out though, its a 3 min looping animation of some fleshy hairy mass that has moving tumors running under the flesh to a swirling squlechy ambient soundtrack. At the end of the animation the fleshy mass has morphed into a awful face. Very impressive, and attractive in a weird way.
Friday

Post by Friday »

so have people checked out the guggenheim exhibition yet?

we went a couple of weeks ago and loved it. not as many peices as i expected but still a good cross section of stuff.

also went to the pixar exhibition at acmi. awesome! loved the zoetrope (sp?) particularly. big ups to the giant steel pixar lamp and ball out the front sculpted by a good friend as well. :smt023
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

SNAP DRAGON!
...and basically that's the situation
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Friday wrote:so have people checked out the guggenheim exhibition yet?

we went a couple of weeks ago and loved it. not as many peices as i expected but still a good cross section of stuff.
I went about 3 weeks ago for the Guggenheim breakfast + lecture + gallery admission. I was not so impressed with the size of my breaky as I was the art work :P The lecture was great to put it all into context.

Now the art... I really enjoyed the movie in the 2nd last room that has the women under the tables covered in grapes. Very cool stuff! I spent ages watching the other movies, but they weren't bearly as cool as that one.

My fave art work was the one constructed in the gallery of 14 panels in 4 colours (2 room). Loved it!

Also interesting was the Mapplethorpe pics, to see how old & ravaged he looked in the year before his death.

My best friend was grossed out by most of the art work in the last room. She practically ran away screaming :P
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Friday

Post by Friday »

you mean the matthew barney film? he does awesome stuff. we finally got out hands on the whole set of the 5 cremaster films.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

yep, Matthew Barney's Cremaster cycle.

It was #1 I adored with the Manolo Blahnik shoes and Izak Mizrahi (sp?) clothes.

Number 4, I perserved with but I think it did my head in after so many hours in the gallery. I don't think number 5 was working when i was there.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Friday

Post by Friday »

yeah i don't think they were playing the whole thing of any of them either. it said on the plaque thingy that it was an edited down / combined version of them all...

if you want we've got them all on dvd now so i can copy and send it to you or something!
quick

Re: Arts thread

Post by quick »

just looking through some stuff from my favourite artist on his website... so amazing, so fricken awesome... if you dont know his stuff, do your self a favour and have a look, even a quick sneak, so bril

Zdzislaw Beksinski from Poland...

http://www.beksinski.pl/

some favs

too big to post but fricken WOW

http://mst.dark-omens.com/Penguin-relat ... tof_03.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__SvNIKK8Zpk/S ... edral2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rL0851ADLv8/T ... y+-204.jpg
Sociopathic

Re: Arts thread

Post by Sociopathic »

Just in case anyone here is interested in this.
NGV website said wrote:NGV Studio

Free Entry
The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia
The newest space at the National Gallery of Victoria is NGV Studio. This unique space will celebrate Melbourne’s dynamic cultural networks and engage community groups, with a particular relevance to younger audiences.

Located at the corner of The Atrium and adjacent to the NGV Kids Corner at Federation Square, NGV Studio will present a program of fresh and lively exhibitions, installations and events that will actively involve many of Melbourne’s cultural communities.

NGV Studio will provide opportunities for community groups to present their art and culture, engage in key events and festivals and provide a space that promotes experimental art forms. This space encourages innovation and experimentation in content, context, interpretation and display.

The first event to be held in NGV Studio will present work by four of Melbourne’s leading Street Art Crews. This studio project allows viewers to watch the crews create their work from The Atrium at Federation Square until the space opens to the public in 2011.

Visitors to this exciting display will also be able to comment on these street art presentations online at the NGV’s Twitter page. #ngvstudio.

The first crew to kick off the contest in December will be Formula 1. Established in Melbourne in 2005 with just 5 members, the group has now grown to 14 artists who have collectively worked across many Australian and international street art scenes.

The artists collaborating in Formula 1 include the original members SIRUM, HOOKR, PILFA, PERSO and DETCH as well as new like-minded members SHEM, GRATER, Amelia Lackman, PHAT1 (NZ), MONSTER (FR),
GIRO, PLEA and G.ROCK.

David Hurlston, Curator Australian Art, NGV, said: “This is an exciting new development at the NGV. Watch this space evolve over the coming months as we present the work of some of Melbourne’s best Street Art Crews.”

The crew that receives the most comments via Twitter and Facebook will be selected to show their work at the NGV Studio when it officially opens in 2011.

Jeremy Gaschk, Guest Project Coordinator, said: “The NGV Studio provides a unique opportunity for Street Art to be presented as a legitimate art form. This is an exciting project for the crews to be involved in and it’s a great way to kick start this new space at the NGV.

NGV Studio is located at The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia.

Can view F1 Crew's work Here

And then leave comments about the work you likes
Here

Found out about it through facebook and some random blog link thingy, looks like it could be kinda cool to check out though.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming