FACEBOOK

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
CoB

Re: FACEBOOK

Post by CoB »

yeh there is no inviting to groups now, just adding
fking stupid
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

fixed my setting, they had moved, weird. now no randoms posting on my stat updates, jeebus. why would you anyways? they didn't even know me!?!?! loserville, population you!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Interesting. Not qualified to comment, would be interested in other people's thoughts on this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/2 ... 86855.html
Social networking sites are threatening the Web's core principles by collecting and retaining users' information--from their contacts to their photos to their email addresses--then offering up that information to users only within their own websites, Berners-Lee argued.

"Each site is a silo, walled off from the others," he explained. "The more you enter, the more you become locked in. Your social networking site becomes a central platform - a closed silo of content, and one that does not give you full control over your information in it.

He warned, "The more this kind of architecture gains widespread use, the more the web becomes fragmented, and the less we enjoy a single, universal information space."

Berners-Lee also defended net neutrality and criticized Google and Verizon's policy proposal, which recommended that information traveling over broadband and wireless networks be treated differently and would enable Internet service providers to discriminate against some information traveling over its networks.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

the first line- the 'core principles of the web' seems pretty funny. The interwebs was created with an ideal about sharing information,but i think the utopian ideal of everything being free & accessible to everyone has changed a long time ago. i think it depends how people use the web, it horrifies me when some people on FB have everything public to everyone, but there isnt a nice 'how to not spread your personal information all over the interwebs' document when you sign up.

FB has not stopped me being active in other places on the net, but the idea of a 'single universal information space' has long ago been compromised by google words, censorship, and basically made like everything else in this world, those with the $$, get the most airplay.

my two cents.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Lizkins wrote:fixed my setting, they had moved, weird. now no randoms posting on my stat updates, jeebus. why would you anyways? they didn't even know me!?!?! loserville, population you!
I love posting on random's status updates. usually to take the piss quite heavily.

its how I pass the time on the tram.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

lol you is in loserville mrj. i sorry
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

thats alright, I'm only here to take a couple of photos of your house. then I'll be off.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

the Town Mayor shouldn't have to take photos of his own town, you have people for that
click here fo fotos
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

If we didn't live in a world where putting your information out meant people would use it to harm you, then we could enjoy Facebook and the internet freely with out fear of our information being used against us.

Facebook was a great concept but I don't think the world was or is mature enough to handle it properly yet. Just like Napster. I think one day someone famous will accidently put too much information on Facebook then some psycho, maniac fan whose hand she didn't shake at a press conference will track her down, rape her, cut her throat and hang her from the ceiling by her nipples and everyone will say "why?" Someone else will then say "Well did you check her Facebook page? Look at all the information that was available" and then we'll maybe get charged to use Facebook or they will censor it somehow because society wasn't mature enough to handle the responsibility of it. Once again, we will be punished like children who have thrown a party whilst mum and dad are away.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

HearNoEvil wrote:If we didn't live in a world where putting your information out meant people would use it to harm you, then we could enjoy Facebook and the internet freely with out fear of our information being used against us.

Facebook was a great concept but I don't think the world was or is mature enough to handle it properly yet. Just like Napster. I think one day someone famous will accidently put too much information on Facebook then some psycho, maniac fan whose hand she didn't shake at a press conference will track her down, rape her, cut her throat and hang her from the ceiling by her nipples and everyone will say "why?" Someone else will then say "Well did you check her Facebook page? Look at all the information that was available" and then we'll maybe get charged to use Facebook or they will censor it somehow because society wasn't mature enough to handle the responsibility of it. Once again, we will be punished like children who have thrown a party whilst mum and dad are away.
Meh. Facebook is like a testing ground for common sense. If you're too dumb towork out what you should or shouldn't put on there, then you fail the life test, which will be followed by said nipple hanging.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

edited for sanity
Last edited by youthful_implants on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
aroes

Post by aroes »

Hardy wrote: Meh. Facebook is like a testing ground for common sense. If you're too dumb towork out what you should or shouldn't put on there, then you fail the life test, which will be followed by said nipple hanging.
:script:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

word.

alex, now im intrigued!

heheheh
mrj

Post by mrj »

HearNoEvil wrote:Once again, we will be punished like children who have thrown a party whilst mum and dad are away.
that reminds me, Mum and Dad are going away. I should totally have a party.
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Hardy: I agree. But it's also a testing ground for inhumane people to test their resilience. Its a very kind of, if the cakes there do you HAVE to eat it situation (The information being the cake), but in an ideal society people should be able to trust that the general population won't use their information against them. When you live in a world where knowledge is power and those who are powerless perish though, well, its no wonder people manipulate a mouse and turn into animals.

MrJ: Definately :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

what?
aroes

Post by aroes »

lol

moving right along......i discovered today that apparently it IS possible to delete a facebook account, as opposed to simply 'deactivating'

haven't researched it fully yet, but if it appears kosher i think i might do it

what i want to know is, after your account has been deleted, does facebook retain the information, and if so where do they stand when it comes to releasing/using said information

see top of menu in this link......
http://www.facebook.com/help/?search=i+ ... my+account
CoB

Post by CoB »

they use the information for however they like.

like if some advertising company purchases facebook next year, and you put a photo of you sporting something they wish to advertise, they will use said photo for profit gain.

and you will look like a chump because you will have a mong face on a billboard
it is true
it has happened before
in the future
aroes

Post by aroes »

my thinking exactly

which leads me to the conclusion that deleting/deactivating serves no purpose whatsoever
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

HearNoEvil wrote:Hardy: I agree. But it's also a testing ground for inhumane people to test their resilience. Its a very kind of, if the cakes there do you HAVE to eat it situation (The information being the cake), but in an ideal society people should be able to trust that the general population won't use their information against them. When you live in a world where knowledge is power and those who are powerless perish though, well, its no wonder people manipulate a mouse and turn into animals.
Are you asking me out on a date?
aroes

Post by aroes »

:lol:
CoB

Post by CoB »

"turn into animals"

sorry, this just made me think of all the people who keep saying
"wow, we are closer to the animals than we think!!!"

fuck off
we are just animals...
that is all we are
i wish people would just accept this and move on to attempting to discover new and wonderful things
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Hardy wrote:
HearNoEvil wrote:Hardy: I agree. But it's also a testing ground for inhumane people to test their resilience. Its a very kind of, if the cakes there do you HAVE to eat it situation (The information being the cake), but in an ideal society people should be able to trust that the general population won't use their information against them. When you live in a world where knowledge is power and those who are powerless perish though, well, its no wonder people manipulate a mouse and turn into animals.
Your not my type but I'm desperate. I spose if you're buying I can give it a chance and pray I don't remember any of it in the morning :D
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

facebook got me laid more than once.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

HearNoEvil wrote:
Hardy wrote:
Your not my type but I'm desperate. I spose if you're buying I can give it a chance and pray I don't remember any of it in the morning :D
Pray all you like, many have tried and failed before you.

You WILL remember. You can NEVER forget.
almax

Post by almax »

what has been seen cannot be unseen.

A badger in a beaded sequence g string holding a 14 inch dildo is not recommended.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

almax wrote: beaded sequence g string
a sequence like 1,2,3,4,5?

sounds spangly!

:)
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

hahaha Hardy, its all about how you CHOOSE to remember it. Was it as beautiful as it was for me
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

For me it isn't about beauty, it's about POWER
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hence the anal prolapse?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

lol at Hardy and HearNoEvil

keep going, i wants more giggles
click here fo fotos
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Hardy: The power must cumm from within!! Your power came from, without. Therefor I must send you the dry cleaners bill :D
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

mrj wrote:
Lizkins wrote:fixed my setting, they had moved, weird. now no randoms posting on my stat updates, jeebus. why would you anyways? they didn't even know me!?!?! loserville, population you!
I love posting on random's status updates. usually to take the piss quite heavily.

its how I pass the time on the tram.
:retzielikes:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

hadn't been following this thread, just caught up ...
ghetto kitty wrote:what?
and yeah, deactivating still keeps everything there. you can deactivate and then log in a day or a year later, and everything's back exactly as it was - same posts, same photos, etc.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh i know and understand that.

just some other posts have been very confusing/rambling.

;)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:oh i know and understand that.

just some other posts have been very confusing/rambling.

;)
haha sorry, i meant to say that this entire page was 'what?'. and then answered that question separately.

:brohugs:
quick

Post by quick »

HearNoEvil... back the fuck off... that Badger Hardy's ass is mine... i taught him the power he has so he could use it on me.,.. don't go taking advantage of that which is so humbling/humiliating... thats my role now... and Hardy... i am again in need of being told why i am a bad BAD bubby
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

you really do creep me out sometimes steven. :lol:
quick

Post by quick »

its a love/hate thing for most people, i know... feel privileged to be brought into the inner-circle
here you can learn many things... true, you probably don't want to learn any of it, but hey, you never want to deny yourself education
CoB

Post by CoB »

i want to deny yourself eductaiont!

ok
im not the best person to advice about eductaiont!
quick

Post by quick »

well i am pretty sure they just activated facebook email... like just then... i am the first person with my name to get it, so i have steven.quick(at)facebook.com...

i tested it by sending an email from gmail with an attachment and it came through sweet with a link to download attachment... too ez

another step towards all in one
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yeah they are rolling it out gradually. seems to be getting more rapid now tho
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
quick

Post by quick »

love mine.. there are sooo many steven quicks on facebook, so awesome that i have the proppa email address :P

u can send emails from it as well.. to users not on fb...
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

did you get a notification email or did it just start walking you thru it when you logged on?
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I want one!

Still not appearing on mine. What happens Quick? Does it just appear up the top?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

with such obvious email addresses, won't it just become too easy to spam? Hugh, comment?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

quick wrote:another step towards all in one
Yeah, can't wait till one company knows everything about me.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

well you run that risk with any name based email addy. spammers who don't have lists just generate them out of popular names from census data.

im sure facebook would have a pretty serious spam setup tho.
quick

Post by quick »

i was midway through a message when it stopped working, i refreshed page and there was an 'activate facebook email now' button... now its all different, all chat history is there, like google talk.. and on messages page, you can see quite a bit of each message without needing to open each one... a lot better

apparently u can activate it yourself... haven't tried cos i didn't need to... but try this

http://www.allfacebook.com/how-to-get-a ... ow-2010-11
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

nah that just gets you an invite.