Suggestion - REVIEWS section

Got a question about Melbourne Beats? Got some feedback or suggestions for us? Post a message here.
dengelman

Suggestion - REVIEWS section

Post by dengelman »

This site is cool and functions pretty well (thanks mods! :thumbleft:), but I think a designated REVIEWS section would make it even better. I think it works pretty well on other forums.

I would see this not only as an event review section, but a place to review anything felt worth reviewing by a member – new vinyl releases, compilations, restaurants, art shows, books or celebrity hair-dos. Following posts could then offer an alternative review on the same subject or comment on the previous reviews.

I know there are already threads for books, movies etc. but if someone wanted to write a proper 5 paragraph review on a movie rather than just “It was cool” this would be a place to do it.

Pros:
1. Event reviews allow people to comment positively and negatively (hopefully constructively) after a gig without stepping on promoters’ toes. Most threads about gigs seem to be about 80-90% pre-event hype/build-up/promotion/bumping and very little post-event discussion apart from “That was sick” or “My head hurts.” The promotion threads serve a very important purpose, ie: to spread word about your gig. However, very few of us can attend every attractive gig and I often want to know how things were, good and not-so-good.
2. Encourage more thoughtful discussion about music, something a few people here seem to be wanting.
3. Encourage the many talented writers in the community (established or dabbling) to formulate something more than a few words and an emoticon.
4. A place to post photos from events. I know I hardly ever take photos out now that I don’t contribute for itm. I know most people like to see photos.

Possible Cons:
1. It may detract from the “all-in” randomness appeal of the Melbourne Beats thread. However, I think that a reviews thread as outlined above would only enhance this, with a review of a new breaks release between a big DNB party review and someone’s take on the latest Onitsuka Tigers. And the mixes/production threads already do this. It would mean clicking back to the index though I guess...
2. It may be confusing to have 2 posts about some events in 2 different sections. But after a while people would probably get the hang of it.

I may be completely wrong about this, and there are probably other issues I haven’t even considered, so I’d like to hear other people’s opinions. Obviously the final decision will be made in Mod-ville, and I respect that. :wink:
lynt

Post by lynt »

Interesting... thoughts, people?
nic

Post by nic »

someone’s take on the latest Onitsuka Tigers
Review - 2007 Onitsuka Tiger

Intro - New take on a old favourite

Body - Doesnt translate in 2007, rinsed and repeated one to many years in a row.

Conclusion - Poor shoes

:teef:
mrj

Post by mrj »

Can't hurt IMO. Theres probably some benefit and I don't really see a downside.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

There's nothing really stopping anyone from writing a review and posting it either on the thread for the gig in question or putting a link to it in the links thread.
Quite often photos are thrown up on the thread after events, which may be better suited to being in a seperate section/ thread or link to a photo gallery site. (worksafe and all that - not everyone wants their colleagues to see images of them partying on the weekend).
Encouraging more thoughtful discussion about music can't hurt.