MelbourneBeats mix gallery

Got a question about Melbourne Beats? Got some feedback or suggestions for us? Post a message here.
lynt

MelbourneBeats mix gallery

Post by lynt »

Dont know how much space + bandwidth you got mr Chan, but would be dope to have a section for mixes that cats can download.

Or maybe a page where they're all linked to users sites, instead of putting them up in forum
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

ya reckon like a member profile page? that'd be a good idea.

btw is mbeats gonna make it's own dedicated website?! I can probably re-edit and submit my good 'ol melbourne jungle artwork if anyone wants ;)

i know you're missing the days of the dark splash screen!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Yes, the web site is coming soon but has been held up by Beat Aid. I'll post some more news on our progress as it happens.
quick

Post by quick »

I like the mixes in the forum section, as you get more interest in mixes, where as peeps who just pop in may only look in the forum and might miss a mix or two. Just my thoughts on it.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
lynt

Post by lynt »

fair call!
Forward Focus

Post by Forward Focus »

quick wrote:I like the mixes in the forum section, as you get more interest in mixes, where as peeps who just pop in may only look in the forum and might miss a mix or two. Just my thoughts on it.
absolutely.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Mixes forum. Done.

I'm not sure about actually hosting mixes yet. There would lots of things to sort out to make it work well. Put this one on the backburner and see what happens.
ukime

Post by ukime »

hosting mixes is a pain the arse - and VERY VERY costly ... especially if it gets popular. if one gets too popular before you can de-link it or delete it, you'll find yourself gigs of bandwidth down the drain before you can blink.

one way of sort of ... hosting mixes ... is through shared P2P platforms, like bittorrent.

you create teh torrent for the mix, and people download at will. certainly not as fast as hosting, but won't cost you anything because it's the users sharing the bandwidth ... not you giving it all out to people.

basically, unless you've got a good deal on bandwidth (or a company that really doesn't care and is sponsoring you to no end) i'd say look for some of the newer ways of distributed sharing.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i was jsut thinking torrent. easy and good.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ukime wrote:one way of sort of ... hosting mixes ... is through shared P2P platforms, like bittorrent.

you create the torrent for the mix, and people download at will. certainly not as fast as hosting, but won't cost you anything because it's the users sharing the bandwidth ... not you giving it all out to people.
torrenting the files is a good idea, but only if the following features were used:
  1. used the current phpBB2 user database for authentication. no point giving away mixes for free.
  2. separate site/page created giving the stats on the seeding/leeching of users. makes admin/moderationg users much easier.
some pretty active admin/moderation would be needed for a system of this nature as well, as the MB tracker server would probably have a huge amount of hits before long. ditto the need to keep older mixes regularly seeded.

the above is IMO of course, but I've worked on and implemented a torrent generation system last year that used a phpBB2 database for the authentication. the concept works well in practise. :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
ukime

Post by ukime »

Yeah, that's a good idea - hooking in authentication to torrent links with a phpBB user database.

Unfortunately, it won't be easy to keep the older mixes seeded. The only ways are that are (1) hosting those files separately, which also pimps the old mixes due to faster download speeds (2) get a server to seed them all.

It's also quite useful for photo sections (people login and post the photos under their own username, whilst setting either filesize limits, storage limits, img size limits, number of images etc).

What you may want to check out though, even with linking in the forums, is the legality of spreading the mix sets ...
DIDI

Post by DIDI »

This is starting to look really complicated, particularly for non computer literate people like myself. How about links to mixes?

Edit: How embarrassing I've just noticed that you have aready done that :oops:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ukime wrote:Unfortunately, it won't be easy to keep the older mixes seeded. The only ways are that are (1) hosting those files separately, which also pimps the old mixes due to faster download speeds (2) get a server to seed them all.
:smt018
can't have servers seeding Torrent files. that defeats the whole purpose of using BitTorrents.
ukime wrote:What you may want to check out though, even with linking in the forums, is the legality of spreading the mix sets ...
:smt023
a very good point.

I would be interested in hearing Mr Chan's PoV(s) on these points though. :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.