What sex are you?

Got a question about Melbourne Beats? Got some feedback or suggestions for us? Post a message here.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

What sex are you?

Post by Lizkins »

Hey Lucas and Lynt

Was just wondering whether we could have a thing that was similar on MelbourneJungle where you knew what sex the person is. They also had a star sign thingy too which i thought was cool. They were just icons listed with the signature of the person i.e above "Location" and below "Posts". Does that make sense?

Anyhoo, let me know, cos i'd like ta know :D

You guys are still doing a smashing job btw :D
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hmmm I'm a bloke, if thats what you're asking......

Lucas, that featured installed my friend?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

I'll have a look into this one and see what I can find. Get back to you soon.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

another thing that i thought was good about some phpbb's was when you hover over a topic, the last post comes up as the title/alt tag of the link...

so you get the first 90 characters of the last post added when you rollover the topic text. saves a lot of clicks.
ukime

Post by ukime »

yayayy! lets make the board easier for stalking! yayay! =D
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
Fents

Post by Fents »

ukime wrote:yayayy! lets make the board easier for stalking! yayay! =D
Mate i downloaded ur mix the other day, been listening to it at work...BIGGUPS its a wikkid breaks mix.
ukime

Post by ukime »

oh heh, thank yee - nice to know someone is downloading it ;)
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

This request really opened up a can of worms. =)

[ Gender Mod ]
I have spent some time looking into the the phpBB Gender Mod. Disappointingly it has a history of privilege escalation vulnerabilities which is making me a little nervous about installing it. The last thing we want is for someone to be able to grant themselves admin access to the forum.

If I can find a version of this Mod from a trusted source I'll see if I can add it. If not we'll either have to perform a code audit on the Mod or we will need to develop our own.

Which leads me to...

[ Adding Mods/features to these forums ]
I'm actually leaning towards putting new forum features on the back-burner for the next couple of months; because:

1. There's a few (non-forum) features that I'd like to add to Melbourne Beats as soon as possible.
2. The next major revision of phpBB is on the horizon. If we are going to start heavily customising the forum I would like to do it to a code-base that is not nearing the end of it's life.
3. And, the new phpBB release just might include some of the features we're looking at adding.

So... =)

I'm sorry I don't have a definite response to this one. But, I just wanted to let you know where my head's at.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Good on ya Lucas.

Hold tight peoples!
Will

Post by Will »

I might add that one of the annoying thing about MJ, god rest it's troubled soul, was that just when things were nice and settled and cool stuff kept getting fucked with. Don't really need that to happen here. Altho title's would still be nice...
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

MJ was seriously overmodded. holding for the next iteration of phpBB is all good. it'd be nice to see a new template though..

personally, I don't think the starsign/gender/etc stuff is warranted. it's a forum - not a personals column. :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
ukime

Post by ukime »

Btw Lucas, have you checked out Invision Board?

Not saying it's better for your purposes, but we changed over from phpBB to Invision a little while ago because it had better permissions for users and user groups etc. with forums - not sure what the deal is with the newer versions of phpBB though.

Just in case you hadn't had a look, definately worth a peek. Mind you, it isn't free ... but the trial version we've been running seems to be working like a charm. Who knows though, think I might go check out phpBB again.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Yeah, I did take a look at Invision actually. I tried hard to like it but it just didn't happen. Plus the whole license fee thing put me off a bit.

Also, I think the trial version has some limitations that we have already outgrown. i.e. 200 members, 5000 posts.

The new version of phpBB is apparently going to have a new permissions system so I guess we'll wait and see what happens. You never really can tell with open-source software. I don't think we'll ever have particularly sophisticated permissions requirements here, but it may suit your purposes?

I guess the main reason why we went with phpBB is because I wanted to get the forums up and running as quickly as possible, and I knew I could do it quickly with phpBB (as I've done it a few times before).
lynt

Post by lynt »

Word.

I'm all for the don't fix what ain't broke theroy. Simplicity is the best
ukime

Post by ukime »

Yeah, we primarily changed over for the permissions (I think the skinning system at the time was a bit better too) - but if phpBB is going to fix that up that stuff in the newer version, then I think I might bite the bullet and rollback.

The trial thing does suck, but at the moment we've got 200+ members and 23000+ posts and it hasn't hiccupped - might have something to do with 200+ members once you install it (not counting whats already in the database).

But I'm with Lynt, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lucas_chan wrote:The new version of phpBB is apparently going to have a new permissions system so I guess we'll wait and see what happens. You never really can tell with open-source software. I don't think we'll ever have particularly sophisticated permissions requirements here, but it may suit your purposes?.
looks more on track now than all of last year.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=256072
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Cheers Lucas and Lynt for seeing whether this can be done :D Greatly appreciate it and all that :D

System - well dah man, i know it ain't the personals. :roll:
quick

Post by quick »

Lizkins wrote:Cheers Lucas and Lynt for seeing whether this can be done :D Greatly appreciate it and all that :D

System - well dah man, i know it ain't the personals. :roll:
Its just for fun, thats all, it wouldn't have to be mandatory thats for sure. But it looks good now, so we'll wait an see. :)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick