logged out

Got a question about Melbourne Beats? Got some feedback or suggestions for us? Post a message here.
Friday

logged out

Post by Friday »

i keep getting logged out of my account.

i'll be using mb.c and posting and i'll hit reply and all of a sudden it asks me to log in again.

it' seems to be happening a heap in the last two weeks.

is this just me or something to do with the site?

sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

happens to me loads.. try checking the "always log me in" checkbox when you sign in and it seems to fix it, at least temporarily.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
Friday

Post by Friday »

i've tried that but it doesn't help :( :smt102

lucas, karl: you know why this is? is it something to do with my set up, firewall or something? or something to do with the site?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Trying to trace this now. Not quite sure what would cause it. Will keep you posted.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lucas wrote:Trying to trace this now. Not quite sure what would cause it. Will keep you posted.
i never seem to get logged out mid-session, but when I change IP (home -> work), going to the new posts search directly asks me to log in. after I do that, it always claims no new posts.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
lucas wrote:Trying to trace this now. Not quite sure what would cause it. Will keep you posted.
i never seem to get logged out mid-session, but when I change IP (home -> work), going to the new posts search directly asks me to log in. after I do that, it always claims no new posts.
as it should. ;)

the phpBB session information associates you with a particular IP. when your client IP changes, so does your session information - hence the forced logout.

:nerd:

not sure about Friday - perhaps the cookie information in her browser is borked slightly?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
as it should. ;)

the phpBB session information associates you with a particular IP. when your client IP changes, so does your session information - hence the forced logout.
argh, sux. but it still doesn't explain the newposts thing: when I need to log in after directly requesting search.php?search_id=newposts, all the posts are marked read.
:nerd:

not sure about Friday - perhaps the cookie information in her browser is borked slightly?
it wouldn't been the first time I'd seen a borked DHCP setup that assigned you new IPs mid-flight ...
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
system wrote:
fooishbar wrote: i never seem to get logged out mid-session, but when I change IP (home -> work), going to the new posts search directly asks me to log in. after I do that, it always claims no new posts.
as it should. ;)

argh, sux. but it still doesn't explain the newposts thing: when I need to log in after directly requesting search.php?search_id=newposts, all the posts are marked read.
yeah, it does - from what you said, when you change IPs you are immediately logged out. the time from when you were logged out, to when you are logged back in, is what is calculated when you request a search for all new posts.

:)
Friday

Post by Friday »

thanks for looking into it peeps :D

let me know if you come up with any ideas about what could be causing it....
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:argh, sux. but it still doesn't explain the newposts thing: when I need to log in after directly requesting search.php?search_id=newposts, all the posts are marked read.
yeah, it does - from what you said, when you change IPs you are immediately logged out. the time from when you were logged out, to when you are logged back in, is what is calculated when you request a search for all new posts.

almost, but if I log in as usual, then search for new posts, all is fine. but if I'm brought straight to the login page by newposts, then it all goes sideways? :smt102
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

you haven't installed any new or recent firewall software or anything of the sort? could be a factor.
soundcloud.com/sternumbreaks
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Risky wrote:you haven't installed any new or recent firewall software or anything of the sort? could be a factor.
no, that's not it.
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

No worries.
Similar occurances happened to me when i hadn't set rules etc for firewalls.
soundcloud.com/sternumbreaks
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:argh, sux. but it still doesn't explain the newposts thing: when I need to log in after directly requesting search.php?search_id=newposts, all the posts are marked read.

almost, but if I log in as usual, then search for new posts, all is fine. but if I'm brought straight to the login page by newposts, then it all goes sideways? :smt102
your IP changed. the security model in phpBB is set to log you out if your IP changes mid-session. ;)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:your IP changed. the security model in phpBB is set to log you out if your IP changes mid-session. ;)
so your last visit is your original hit to search.php, before it can notice the IP change and invalidate your session ... damn.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
system wrote:your IP changed. the security model in phpBB is set to log you out if your IP changes mid-session. ;)
so your last visit is your original hit to search.php, before it can notice the IP change and invalidate your session ... damn.
yep and yep. it's the right approach, otherwise I'd be spoofing your session right now, baby! :)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
yep and yep. it's the right approach, otherwise I'd be spoofing your session right now, baby! :)
eh, given that people can just inject random shit into the db anyway, I'd be lying if I said I cared about people stealing my cookies and stealing my session from a different IP. :P
maybe I should start GPG-signing all my posts :teef:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

nerds

:teef:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
system wrote:
fooishbar wrote: so your last visit is your original hit to search.php, before it can notice the IP change and invalidate your session ... damn.
eh, given that people can just inject random shit into the db anyway, I'd be lying if I said I cared about people stealing my cookies and stealing my session from a different IP. :P
maybe I should start GPG-signing all my posts :teef:
Neal Stephenson called. he wants his royalties now.