Result of discussion with POW concerning 2nd Room

On Jan 14, 2005 the Melbourne Beats crew along with some 700+ people raised around $17,000 for the Asia Quake & Tsunami appeal. This forum is an archive of the organisational discussion for the event.
Ani

Result of discussion with POW concerning 2nd Room

Post by Ani »

After speaking to the POW, it looks like a 2nd room will not be viable. I am disappointed, but for the following reasons, I do think that we need to go with their experience and advice. The reasons are as follows:

1. The sound system in the smaller room will need to combat the system in the main room, which then makes it too strong for the small room.

2. There is a gap between doors that is difficult to close, which again causes problems with sound.

3. The dynamics in the main room will be compromised.

4. Once we have 400 people, it becomes uncomforable in the Main room, which is where the majority of people will be, due to the big names.

5. The band room is not an option because, again, with so many big acts, they need somewhere to be.

This is disappointing because I was looking forward to the local lineup coming together. But for the sake of things running smoothly, it may be the best way to go. The reality is, the people on the bill (see flyer) at present fill the hours of 9-6, and they are all crowd pulling acts, which means that most of the crowd will be in the main room at all times. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. This does change the nature of the gig, but we do still need everyone to stay together on this to make it work. Comments are welcome, but I think we are compromising the gig if we split the room....

*waits for onslaught :? *
lynt

Post by lynt »

Ultimately it's not our call, and POW have raised some fair points. Fucking unfortunate though.

Keep on truckin'
mkultra

Post by mkultra »

werd, it was worth a try....

but POW have pretty much got it sussed....
I could eat alphabet soup and shit better lyrics
lucas
emission reductionist

Re: Result of discussion with POW concerning 2nd Room

Post by lucas »

Ani wrote:I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

*waits for onslaught :? *
Hey! Don't think of it like that. If anyone gets upset then they can go eat some belly-button lynt.

We're lucky to have the POW at all, let alone a 2nd room. And, you're right, it's the crowd-puller's that are going to count on the night.

It's all good.
Ani

Re: Result of discussion with POW concerning 2nd Room

Post by Ani »

lucas_chan wrote: If anyone gets upset then they can go eat some belly-button lynt.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're right... lucky to have the POW! Plus they are paying for 2 extra sound guys, and someone to work the lighting and not charging us. I guess the ultimate aim is to raise money... gotta face reality
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Ani you were always going to have more people volunteering to play than slots available, just because of people's overwhelming generosity and desire to be part of the party. I think the lineup as it stands today is fantastic in that you've scored an international and got some of the best in local talent, it really is a lineup to be proud of!!

People should take it on the chin if they don't get a slot :D They'll be plenty more opportunities to play in the future and the whole point of the gig is to raise money for charity. Everyone is still welcome to come along, show they care and participate in the night.

you can have a huge local lineup for your 2nd venture!! ;)
mkultra

Post by mkultra »

There have been so many positives from this whole exercise, I don't think anyones nose will be out of joint....
eskay

Post by eskay »

dissapointing indeed - in an ideal world we would have loved to have *everyone* who volunteered play. however I too would hesitate to compromise everyone's comfort etc so would concede that this would be the best thing to do.

Sorry guys :(

We were really lookin forward to hearing you all play for a good cause.

Like Ani said we still need you to help out on the night with door duty, selling CDs, raffle tix etc...
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.

Ani

Post by Ani »

Polecat wrote:
you can have a huge local lineup for your 2nd venture!! ;)
:shock:

Thanks for the support PC-- hope everyone sees it this way, as disappointing as it is.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

bit of a poop :?

Perhaps the BW guys might have some 'guest spots' for their benefit gig?
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Who the hell do BLIM, Tali, NuBreed etc think they are bumping the rest of us off.......LOL :lol:

Its a shame cause I woudla loved to play but for the greater good, its the way its gotta be. Of course, will still help out though.
mkultra

Post by mkultra »

nice work miles.....