VJs / Visuals

On Jan 14, 2005 the Melbourne Beats crew along with some 700+ people raised around $17,000 for the Asia Quake & Tsunami appeal. This forum is an archive of the organisational discussion for the event.
lucas
emission reductionist

VJs / Visuals

Post by lucas »

Hi,

Any more word on what's happening with the VJ setup? Lucie told me on Wednesday night that POW doesn't have projectors/screens/video-mixers, etc. Someone mentioned to me after that that they do. Do we have any definite word on this?

Cubist, did you have any luck with your friend at Harry the Hirer?

Lucy (my Lucy) is keen to VJ. Did you get onto that other girl Lucie (Claire?)?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

check the tech spec sheet at www.princebandroom.com.au - i've only done one show there but when I did that they had 2 video projectors and a few mood type lighting things. that was 18 months ago though.

BTW - their lighting rig is really cool!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

http://www.princebandroom.com.au/index. ... 84&op=page

lucie was right - no mention of projectors
eskay

Post by eskay »

Ani said she'd talked to them about it yesterday, from memory the word was positive, but can't remember the details... she's sleepin now so have to wait a little while for confirmation ;)
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.

lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Cool, thanks for the tip off.

Unless someone from POW can confirm otherwise, I'm going to assume this tech sheet is correct.

So...

Let's see how cubist goes with getting projectors for us.

I'm working on the Friday of the gig, so I won't have time to go and sort the VJ setup during the day, so unless someone else can do it, we may be better off ditching the VJ thing and using the 4 still slide projectors that POW has.

Anyone got thoughts on this?
eskay

Post by eskay »

personally I'm not overly fussed about visuals - would be a bonus to have for sure but it's not the end of the world if we can't get it set up etc..

lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

OK. I'm gonna call POW and see what the go is. Then I'll make an executive decision (since I was the one that brought up this VJ thing anyway).

If you have any strong feelings about the VJ thing, now is the time to speak up.
Friday

Post by Friday »

i reckon it's gonna be too much lucas.

we have four live acts already so there's going to be a lot of stage changes going on n stuff and having a vj up there is just going to make it all that much harder!

it would be cool to have of course but i think it's just going to add another dimension of difficulty in running the night!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

OK it goes like this:

I just spoke to "Gooba" at POW. He's the guy in charge of setting everything up that day. The deal is...

They do have video projectors, but they're in service because they've been playing up and they won't be ready for when we need them.

He also said that he and his assistants have a huge amount on their plate for that day, so even if we could organise all the gear we need they probably won't be able to fit it in to their schedule.

So, looks like we have to ditch the idea.

I still say we utilise their 4 slide projectors though (he said this would be fine). We could make 35mm slides with logos for:

Red Cross
DMC
Agent Mad
Melbourne Beats?

Thoughts/comments?
Fents

Post by Fents »

If u want proper dope visuals contact DEVOLOID MEDIA boys, they have all there own gear and im sure they would be happy to DONATE there services....

Someone should have an e-mail for em, rux books these boys for all the 40hz partys...
eskay

Post by eskay »

Lucas: Sounds fine.

Re: using Red Cross logo - no go there, they won't allow it I don't think (check Red Cross info thread)

lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Fents wrote:If u want proper dope visuals contact DEVOLOID MEDIA boys, they have all there own gear and im sure they would be happy to DONATE there services....

Someone should have an e-mail for em, rux books these boys for all the 40hz partys...
Thanks for the suggestion Fents, but it looks like POW can't fit it into their schedule. We're gonna have to go with slides or nothing unfortunately.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

eskay wrote:Re: using Red Cross logo - no go there, they won't allow it I don't think (check Red Cross info thread)
Roger that.

Maybe we should just go with DMC, AM, MB? Anyone else that should/shouldn't be up in lights?

I guess we could have the beat aid logo instead of the red cross one?
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

the slide projectors do a good job at the prince.

exhibit a

just make sure you have some of Lucie's visual pics in between all the logo's or I will feel like i am at a Hardware event and must immediately go purchase a new Nokia product or see "One Perfect Day". kills me.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I spoke to friend at Harry the Hirer, they'll know on Tuesday if we can have gear or not, depending on their bookings. But I guess that doesn't matter any more.

Can still be arranged if need be.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

lucas_chan wrote:
Fents wrote:If u want proper dope visuals contact DEVOLOID MEDIA boys, they have all there own gear and im sure they would be happy to DONATE there services....

Thanks for the suggestion Fents, but it looks like POW can't fit it into their schedule. We're gonna have to go with slides or nothing unfortunately.
We have them for our Bassoids party's. They supplied they're own gear - including screens and projectors. They just rocked up when we were setting up the sound rig and did their thing. Took them about an hour or so. They have played at POW anyway. The logistics should be no issues????????????? Thoughts anyone?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

This has already been sorted. We already had proper VJ's lined up and even if we had our own gear we don't have approval from POW (see above).

The decision has been made to keep things simple and use 35mm slides instead.

Thanks again for your suggestions/interest, but there's nothing else we can do at this point.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

OK.

Slides have been sent off for development.

Will be getting them back on Friday lunch time.

Bamm.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

good work! i couldn't even find a printing place that could do it.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

I had to smile nicely and do some serious grovelling. =)
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

that worked? :)

this is the same place that said they could do it by monday, yeah?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Yep. =)
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

FYI.

The slides are ready. I'll be picking them up before work tomorrow morning.

BRB, I asked if they were mounted and the guy said yes. I asked again if they would be fine to use in a projector for a few hours and he said yes.

Thanks for the tip off.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

hey lucas, slightly off topic but would Lucia be interested in some slide mounts for the future? I have a whole bunch of slides from work that i dont need anymore and am loath to throw away because some photographer/visual artist might like the mounts. let me know if she would.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Hey PC. I'll ask her and let you know. I'm pretty sure she'd be keen. Even if she's not, I'd love to take them off your hands for myself. =)
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

excellent! :D thanks Lucas. I'll dig them up and sort them out.