Pro Tools Knocks it up a notch......... Bam!

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Smile on Impact

Pro Tools Knocks it up a notch......... Bam!

Post by Smile on Impact »

......Last but not least, I want to give you a sneak peek at something for the future: We’re work-
ing on some major “elastic audio” features for Pro Tools that will revolutionize the ways you
can work with tempo-changing or loop-based audio material directly inside Pro Tools. This
new environment will use super-high-grade time compression/expansion to make sure your
audio quality stays intact; audio snippets will be automatically analyzed without any extra
work on your part, and you can audition elements you might want to try against the ma-
terials in your session while the transport plays, with everything “in the groove,” so work is
totally fluid. These capabilities are not an entirely new concept, but adding them alongside
all the other goodies in Pro Tools is really exciting, and offers even more flexibility for your
creative options. I’m pumped about using this stuff, and I hope you will be too...
That’s all the time I have for now... until next time!

Dave Lebolt
Digidesign general Manager
think it'll take about a 35ghz G9 or something, but it will be a big step.
For years tools users have had to do everything the long-way.
This will change the music industry.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

About fucking time.

Awesome news nonetheless.

Good work Digi, good work Arlo.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

so basically it will do what ableton has been doing for years

awesome.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

LuKo wrote:so basically it will do what ableton has been doing for years

awesome.
:roll:

It will do what Ableton has been doing for years, but most likely better. Plus the myriad of other functions that it renders Ableton obsolete with. <- :wink:

Industry standard.

Standard.

Even ACID has been doing beat-mapping for ages (longer than Ableton). Tools has had this function embedded in the 'Beat Detective', but it's just a bitch to use. A bit of R+D, bit of maths and there ya go.... looking forward to checking it out.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

:lol:

should use :teef:

i agree protools are industry standard for a reason, and will no doubt do it alot better

i just hope nuendo follows and has something similar

i actually have changed my opinion and agree with arlo that ableton effects the quality of sound, i have dropped it recently and am picking up nuendo

massive difference in alot of ways ;)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Yeah. Live definitely ain't the best sounding engine, but that probably hasn't damaged its sales too much. Ultimately it was always about user-friendliness and I hope it never loses that aspect.

As it is, I enjoy the best of both worlds with the combo of ProTools and Ableton Live Lite. 8)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Word, and associated homeboy words.

Tools, Reason and Acid for me.... but once Tools has this beat-mapping function, I see no more need for Acid ...(the program that is).
Smile on Impact

I cannot believe this is the same forum!!

word up...

great to hear guys.

I still use live for remixing ect.

but tools is my bitch.

Mind you,
I still use the same version of Cooledit pro, that I used to run on Windows 95. For Mastering, the EQ Hardlimit are great and the high qual sample rate convertions keeps my tracks pumpin at 16bit.

so, it's about what works for you and what you like the sound of.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote: I still use the same version of Cooledit pro, that I used to run on Windows 95. For Mastering, the EQ Hardlimit are great and the high qual sample rate convertions keeps my tracks pumpin at 16bit.
Wavelab for me. With the Appogee UV22HR converter... boh!
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

yeah cool, i have been on soundforge for years, dont think i will ever drop that for say wavelab, altho i am going full blown steinberg user now

i opened up ableton the other day and felt a tad embarrassed with myself to be painfully honest. It really is like a toy in comparison to Logic, Tools and Nuendo / Cubase

AND as for sound...well to me it was like someone had lifted a thin sheet from between myself and my monitors!

yes ableton still has a place in the world, its just not on my workstation pc, maybe my live-rig laptop that'd be it ;)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fo shizzle...

Used to be all over Sound Forge.... great program. Just used to Wavelab now.

Would LOVE to get into Cubase and have a crack, so many prog's - so little time...
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

^^ not as daunting as it first seems ;)

and the reason i am sticking with soundforge is its becoming multi-track in version 9

allah cool edit pro from a few years back!@

you will be able to mixdown in it etc.. but other than that there are some invaluable tools in forge i use
Smile on Impact

Direktor wrote:
Wavelab for me. With the Appogee UV22HR converter... boh!

so how does that work ?
Is the apogee Software or does wavelab use external convertion ?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I load the Apogee UV22HR into the 3rd-party dithering section on the toolbar, select the setting I want and then hit "render to track"....

I though the word Apogee might prick your ears mate!
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Apogee UV is not a sample rate converter (or any other type of converter). It's just a dithering algorithm.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Not a converter per se - my bad.

But isn't it used whilst converting to maintain audio fidelity? I.e. it's a part/process of the conversion.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Direktor wrote:Not a converter per se - my bad.

But isn't it used whilst converting to maintain audio fidelity? I.e. it's a part/process of the conversion.
Only when converting (dithering) from a higher bit depth to a lower one.

ie. 24bit to 16bit
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yes. That was the discussion at hand.

I just checked out the Apogee web site, and apparently 8/10 major recording studio's use the UV22HR dither on 80% of their releases.... wow!