mackie emulation

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
spiral

mackie emulation

Post by spiral »

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Actually, while we're on this topic, I'd like to ask a question - is it really *easier* working with a control surface instead of a mouse + keboard + a widescreen monitor, or is it just a preference thing, ie. useful for those transitioning from the analogue to the digital realm of DAWs?

I've only really ever known the digital approach (as a lot of people new to the music production scene would), so I've gotten pretty efficient at using a mouse + keyboard to drive my sequencer, but if there's a huge advantage to a control surface, I'd be willing to consider it. But to be honest I can't see how it would be heaps easier, given that I normally have 20-30 tracks in a track anyway, and the control surface only maps to 8... ?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Control surface HEAPS better.

But what do you mean that a control surface only maps 8 tracks? It depends on your control surface really.

The ol' Tascam US-2400 (fucking awesome unit!) had/has 24-seperate channels and a master - all with motorized faders.

So yeah - for mixing, control surface FTW.

I guess it all depends on the usual factors of: budget, amount of tracks/channels your running and your preferred method of mixing.
flippo

Post by flippo »

best thing about having control surface for mixing, I recon, would be being able to close your eyes and just listen to what you are doing.
grooki

Post by grooki »

I find being able to control things like filters and things with a physical knob (ho ho, chuckle) is much better. It feels more like I am in control, you can do more varied things because you can play it a bit like an instrument.
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

grooki wrote:I find being able to control things like filters and things with a physical knob (ho ho, chuckle) is much better. It feels more like I am in control, you can do more varied things because you can play it a bit like an instrument.
Can be done with a basic MIDI controller, not really case-specific to a DAW control surface.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Direktor wrote:The ol' Tascam US-2400 (fucking awesome unit!) had/has 24-seperate channels and a master - all with motorized faders.
Phwoar, that does sound pretty sweet.

What do you do if you exceed the number of tracks the mixer has faders for?

Oh and really good point flippo, I'm *totally* about closing my eyes and tweaking shit, makes a huge difference when you force yourself to really listen to what's going on.

Might have to think about it.... ;)
Stray

Post by Stray »

I close my eyes when I have a tweak too.. wait.. which thread is this again?
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

a1studmuffin wrote:
Direktor wrote:The ol' Tascam US-2400 (fucking awesome unit!) had/has 24-seperate channels and a master - all with motorized faders.
Phwoar, that does sound pretty sweet.

What do you do if you exceed the number of tracks the mixer has faders for?
I'd imagine it has multiple banks of faders (most other daw controllers do), so you can just flick between say 8 banks of 24 faders.

The Tascam US-2400 was discontinued though...

But a controll suface of some kind is the go really, especially when you put the time into mapping otu the buttons to usefull taks to minimise the mouse usage. Great for just mixing obvisouly 8)
spiral

Post by spiral »

my synths are set up away from computer so its good to be able to control synth filters and effects etc all from one place
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

A real shame it was discontinued also (the US2400 that is).

Wasn't cheap, for a USB control surface you were looking at an RRP just under $3,700inc - and apparently they were discontinued as they were only going to be more expensive to produce!

And yes, it did have multiple bank buttons so you could control more than 24 tracks.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

that's crazy cheap! decent motorized faders don't come cheap, usually around the $100+ mark just for the part (more for p&g), without any of the other bits required for the unit.

but i guess they didn't sell enough
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Mate - sold lots of them!

Getting stock out of Japan was more the problem.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

wonder why they canned them? shame; as there's nothing else in that price range really.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

They were apparently canned for the reason already said... they were becoming too expensive to produce, there wasn't enough money in them...

Dunno, but that's what we were told by Tascam Japan.

You'd reckon they'd just raise the price - but no go, and no replacement either.
flippo

Post by flippo »

I've been looking into the bahringer unit with the endless roatries with LEDS spinniing around them, comebined with a frontier resign tranzport. Out to all my povo cew. Would be nice to never have to touch the mouse.
flippo

Post by flippo »

but I also need monitors, and a new computer, and a kaos padkontrol.....

:( should have become a fucking tradie I swear.
grooki

Post by grooki »

Direktor wrote:
grooki wrote:I find being able to control things like filters and things with a physical knob (ho ho, chuckle) is much better. It feels more like I am in control, you can do more varied things because you can play it a bit like an instrument.
Can be done with a basic MIDI controller, not really case-specific to a DAW control surface.
ah sorry, I thought that was what they were talking about :oops:

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

grooki wrote:
Direktor wrote:
ah sorry, I thought that was what they were talking about :oops:
It can be confusing... not much difference between the two mate.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

i really dont mind both

i think sometimes with knobs youre lookin for such a fine change in the sound that you might as well not be touching the thing anyways, and you dont get that fine tuning, but with the mouse + ctrl you can get it on any knob/slider etc

you can close your eyes with a computer too
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
flippo

Post by flippo »

i just like the idea of having all the sliders there at my fingertips when i close my eyes, instead of having to look around for the mouse. Also it's just way cooler :D
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

It's not too bad with the mouse though - at the moment I just click down on the fader I want, close my eyes, then move it up and down. Live won't lose the fader selection regardless of too much horizontal movement so it's all good.
spiral

Post by spiral »

grooki

Post by grooki »

flippo wrote:Also it's just way cooler :D
lol indeed

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Thinking about the Novation Remote SL, either the Zero or the 25 key version if I can afford it.
spiral

Post by spiral »

i would have got SL but i found bitstream 3x in cashies