Audio Repairs and Servicing

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
FoundationStepper

Audio Repairs and Servicing

Post by FoundationStepper »

OK, so ive seen the same few questions appear time and time again on where to get decks serviced, amps fixed etc.

Thought it would be worth collating all the feedback from people into one thread, hopefully a sticky, so the same five answers arent repeated to every new question

For decks service and repair
Snowie wrote:Kerien(Special K) who used to own 48 records still does service repairs on 1200's. I honestly would have no hesitation in recommending him and his work, since he has been repairing them for over 15 years or so.
SoulWhiteMan wrote: JAV electronics, 65 Mackie Road, East Bentliegh
fantastic service, and the only certified Panasonic/Technics warranty service repair man. Fixed both my decks that were FRIED! and got them working like new, also fixed MissingInAction's decks as well...

Apparantly he services all the stuff from DMC (which is what he told me, and who put me onto him)

(03) 9570 4911 Ask for JIM
For more general electronic repairs including decks
Samurai wrote: I service DJ Equipment

$33 quote, which is included if you go ahead with works.

I am at 781 Nicholson St Carlton North
(Samurai also does decks - lots of talk about this here)

For decks, amps, mixers and musical equipment my recommendation is for ian - sound developments. (back of warehouse sound systems, argyle st fitzroy)
FoundationStepper wrote: his carefactor is pretty low. but ive never met anyone who knows more about audio equipment.

I used to work at warehouse and the amount of other repair companies, shops who offer repair services, big venues and studios who would bring in thier gear to him was astounding.

and there is no questioning he knows what he's doing. he just forgets to do the whole job sometimes.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Cheers Mr Steppa!

I'll head to Warehouse this weekend with my amp then...
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
FoundationStepper

ian is a seperate business only open mon to fri, id call ahead to check hours: sound developments 9419 3251

im always in two minds recommending him - he has amazing knowedge but always has a backlog and sometimes doesnt double check his work (a bit beyond that maybe) . but hes still the guru
spiral

Post by spiral »

Also logitronics for old analogue bits
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

could this do with stickiness?
FoundationStepper

unsoundbwoy wrote:could this do with stickiness?
FoundationStepper

Direktor wrote:ELFA (Electric Factory): 188 Plenty Rd, Preston (entry via red door on Plenty Rd). Ph. 9474 1000.

Authorised Alesis repairers and sellers.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

FoundationStepper wrote:
Direktor wrote:ELFA (Electric Factory): 188 Plenty Rd, Preston (entry via red door on Plenty Rd). Ph. 9474 1000.

While you're at it, ELFA is also authorised for all: Focusrite, Tascam, Nord, Waldorf, Akai Pro, Numark, Samson and numerous GMI/percussion brands.
Lil MiSbreaks

Re: Audio Repairs and Servicing

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Thankyou for doing this. Ive just been doing my head in not getting anywhere for some repairs.

Thanks.
llupa

Re:

Post by llupa »

FoundationStepper wrote:

nice - I need a new woofer for my monitors
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Beauty!

just email for price and availability: [email protected]

NB: this is ONLY for spare parts for the following brands: Alesis, Focusrite, Tascam, Nord, Waldorf, Akai Pro, Numark, Samson, Airline, Marshall, Mapex, GK, Hartke, Meinl, Pacemaker, Quiklok and Hercules.
spin

Post by spin »

best place to fix a pioneer 600
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
spin

Post by spin »

cross fader, phone jack and lost knobs...
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

edit: business changed name and domain...

http://www.expressav.com.au

spare parts for mixers/turntables/equipment etc
Last edited by bonsai on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Dingo

Re:

Post by Dingo »

I would avoid this guy- He charged me once to repair my mixer and when I tested it didnt work and I went back and it turns out he hadn't even touched it. A friend of mine put his PA in there and that was a year and a half ago! Still hasn't fixed it and its in a million pieces
FoundationStepper wrote:ian is a seperate business only open mon to fri, id call ahead to check hours: sound developments 9419 3251

im always in two minds recommending him - he has amazing knowedge but always has a backlog and sometimes doesnt double check his work (a bit beyond that maybe) . but hes still the guru
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
spiral

Post by spiral »

any of these lot fix old audiphile gear?
my QUAD 405/33 combo is giving out a horrendous noise and needs a service
spiral

Post by spiral »

anyone used Unitech in Croydon for repairs?
http://www.unitech-services.com.au/repair_services.html
Able

Post by Able »

ok who in Melb can fix my space echo 201, it runs and reverb works but delay has stopped working...?
Soundcloud.com/able8
Thecommunity.com.au/able
Uncomfortablebeats.com
arkation

Post by arkation »

Logitronics - they can service pretty much anything where they can get their hands on the service manuals/schematics/etc...They are official Roland service-ifiers.

Total Recoil - they service monitors/speakers/PAs

Mick Thomas - of the band 'Weddings, Parties, Anything' does some service work..mate of mine used to get him to service analogue desks (mixers) mostly.
peter7

Post by peter7 »

anyone knows where can repair headphones... please help
thanks
Sub7

Post by Sub7 »

After a recomedation from Musiclink I have my Tech 1200 and Vetsax mixer in for repairs at JLS Electronics. 17 Village Ave, Doncaster. 9816 3113
spiral

Post by spiral »

I got a beat up cz-5000 fixed up by Reece at http://ubiksystems.com/
Very quick turn around too
audioblue

Post by audioblue »

spiral wrote:I got a beat up cz-5000 fixed up by Reece at http://ubiksystems.com/
Just curious to know if you have a contact number for him. On his site he says to call and discuss your requirements, yet I can find no number. It also could be that I'm blind and stupid and have had very little sleep and just can't see his number.
Anywho, if you have it post or PM it, thanks in advance.
spiral

Post by spiral »

audioblue wrote:
spiral wrote:I got a beat up cz-5000 fixed up by Reece at http://ubiksystems.com/
Just curious to know if you have a contact number for him. On his site he says to call and discuss your requirements, yet I can find no number. It also could be that I'm blind and stupid and have had very little sleep and just can't see his number.
Anywho, if you have it post or PM it, thanks in advance.
I contacted them via email, which is on the site
spiral

Post by spiral »

spotted these guys today
http://www.synthservicemelbourne.com.au/

reasonable prices too
spiral

Post by spiral »

got my sh101 serviced by Luke at SSM

24 hour turnaround - sounds great now
very happy punter

spiral wrote:spotted these guys today

reasonable prices too
Decorum

Post by Decorum »

Great thread. Does anyone know where I can get Native Instruments products repaired?
Confirm 15 ring necks. Shit the bed...
eddydenton

Post by eddydenton »

arkation wrote:Logitronics - they can service pretty much anything where they can get their hands on the service manuals/schematics/etc...They are official Roland service-ifiers.

Mick Thomas - of the band 'Weddings, Parties, Anything' does some service work..mate of mine used to get him to service analogue desks (mixers) mostly.
I've been trying to get my Wharfedale powered mixer fixed and I went into Total Recoil but they said they only do speakers and home hifi repairs. I wouldn't bother going there with a guitar amp or powered PA mixer/speakers. Maybe if you needed a speaker cone replaced or something?

I was recommended Logitronics by a few places but I called them up and they said it'd be 4-5 week before they can even look at it. But they are supposed to be the shit. I'll try Ian tomorrow if he can't do it sooner I'll go back to Logitronics.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ed
james90

Re:

Post by james90 »

I also have same thoughts.

Direkt wrote:
FoundationStepper wrote:

While you're at it, ELFA is also authorised for all: Focusrite, Tascam, Nord, Waldorf, Akai Pro, Numark, Samson and numerous GMI/percussion brands.
arkation

Post by arkation »

Well I gotta say 4-5 week turnaround quote from Logitronics is pretty good...because I've been waiting almost 3 fucking years (YES THREE FUCKING YEARS) for them to finish fixing all the gear I asked them to service after my house burnt down on Black Saturday.

So, I retract my sentiments towards Logitronics being a good place to hit up, coz they are fucking ridiculous!

eddydenton wrote:
arkation wrote:Logitronics - they can service pretty much anything where they can get their hands on the service manuals/schematics/etc...They are official Roland service-ifiers.

I've been trying to get my Wharfedale powered mixer fixed and I went into Total Recoil but they said they only do speakers and home hifi repairs. I wouldn't bother going there with a guitar amp or powered PA mixer/speakers. Maybe if you needed a speaker cone replaced or something?

I was recommended Logitronics by a few places but I called them up and they said it'd be 4-5 week before they can even look at it. But they are supposed to be the shit. I'll try Ian tomorrow if he can't do it sooner I'll go back to Logitronics.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ed
Beans

Post by Beans »

Where would be the best place to get my Access virus Indigo repaired? Things got the white screen of death and has decided to be a mute :/
DMCRecords

Post by DMCRecords »

DMC Records in South Yarra offer repairs and servicing on all the main brands, especially Technics decks. We also sell the full range of Technics and Pioneer spares and have done for 20 years. All parts are on sale on our eBay store.
First of all call us and describe the fault, often the issue can be sorted over the phone without the need for a repair. If your equipment needs work, drop it in to our store at 211 Commercial Road (near Circus nightclub) for an assessment and quote.
Shop hours are 10 til 7 midweek, 10 til 6 Saturday and 12 til 4 on Sunday
Tel: 03 9824 1211
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

Found this website might help a little.. only ever went to Rumbold once a long time ago
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/valvetechs.htm - assuming more guitar and bass amps
I would recommend Carlton Audio Visual for hi fi amps repair.. I'd ask at Music Swop Shop in Carlton for a guitar amp/speaker repair/recone guy/place if Ian Rumbold isn't doing work anymore.
Turntable services I've been having lots of issues personally.. was going to go to authorised Technics/panasonic repair a decade ago - JAV.. but took a TV in and took 4 months and died from same problem a few months after getting back. Took to 'Samurai AV' in Coburg, the main guy handed it to his underling who is now the only guy there doing repairs. He did an ok job but didn't calibrate the pitch properly or mention that I needed a new slider, even after taking it back a second time to get the unattended issues sorted. Thornbury Records a year ago advised they would be willing to undertake a mod job I want on my Tech 1200 that is simple but others were not prepared to do, but now say they are too busy to undertake repairs at all.
I saw 'Bounce Audio' a year ago before ending up going to Samurai AV, Bounce is in Cato street Prahran, near where DMC used to be. They are reasonable prices when I checked and apparently it was the guy from Koolism that was doing their repairs/services. Danielsan I think he went by. I emailed them a month ago while they were away from Christmas, but they have been back 2 weeks now and still no reply, so I might try calling them soon.
Carlton Audio Visual might be a place I end up going for repairs/servicing in the end, as they are the nicest guys and super transparent and knowledgeable. But they probably won't do mods.
Logitronics have been recommended to me but when I contacted them a year ago (and from online reviews read) they seem to be always super busy. They actually emailed saying they literally couldn't help me, as had a 4 month backlog. Not sure what they are like now, you might get lucky and find them at a quiet time, but it seems they just get more and more recommendations each year.
I know you didn't mention guitars at all, but if you ever need or know someone with a guitar service/repair/modification to be done.. I HUGELY recommend 'Freddy Frettin'. He is the ABSOLUTE MAN. He totally knows his stuff and completely transparent. The prices are fair for the work, you can find cheaper people around but I won't trust my gear with anyone else since finding him. No one else seems to have his extensive knowledge of rarer stuff to work on and extended range/odd tuned/7-8+ stringed guitars too. After going to the Music Swop Shop, my old regular place to get Dalby to install some Bare Knuckle Pickups, he didn't go online and check the wiring and tried 3 or 4 different brands of wiring techniques to my pups. Was super upset he could have wrecked them. Also the time before that I went in, I took my Fernandes Sustainer guitar to get the Sustainer electronics fixed up a little. Took the job on, set up the guitar and gave it back charging me for the setup and explaining he couldn't do the soldering. Freddy can do Fernandes installs no problems btw :) http://www.frettinfreddy.com/
Lastly another option for turntable and other audio equipment repair I found recently.. Goldmine in Nicholson St Fitzroy Nth is now doing repairs and servicing, since changing from a CD to vinyl store. http://www.goldminerecords.com.au/ Always loved shopping and browsing in there two decades ago so am keen to head in and check out what they can do to help me repair some of my gear.
There are other options out there for specific things too, like I found a place in the suburbs recently that say they can do my 8 track player and cassette deck. Anyway hope this helped, I'm always on the hunt too so if anyone knows people please post them

DMC is closed now too btw

So yeah my quest for someone to replace an on/off knob, pitch slider and quartz lock platter pressure mods continue.

Not sure why but since getting my turntable from Billy after two times, the pitch (if pushed quickly from -3% to +6%) can oscillate up and down.. sounds terrible, it gets stuck warbling up and down in pitch until you move the slider. Also the %3 and 6% aren't close to where they should be at all, you can see from the dots quite easily. MAYBE my pitch slider needed replacing, or the PCB etc, but he didn't mention that at all. So after a month and two looks at it, it really upset me that Billy (at that stage apprentice still at Samurai AV) couldn't at least tell me that it was fucked and needed replacing (would have got him some more $ to fix it).. or be honest and say it can't get any better without a replacement. Also, since I was getting a detent click removal it ended up being a waste of money, getting a new slider anyway. I got a M3D slider to avoid having to remove the detent click AGAIN. The best repair guys will admit their mistakes, or hold your hand when you are a noob to some gear.