The new MP3: Better than the new Black?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Blaxter

The new MP3: Better than the new Black?

Post by Blaxter »

I'm still not not sure what I think about MP3's, audio solution versus sonic quality. Perhaps destined to be superseded or improved upon much like magnetic tape.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/ ... e_continue

Some boffins are proposing a multi channel digital file format that allows the user to manipulate volume levels of different

Destined too hit the mobile phone market as early as next years tracks/instruments..MT9-equipped devices are promised for as early as next year.

Music.Guardian wrote:
That means they'll arrive just in time for the next Black Eyed Peas album.
First we'll be able to mute Fergie
... then Will.I.Am .
.. then the backing track ...
and before we know it ... bliss!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sure, it sounds cool as a toy.

But - it's fucking ridiculous IMO.

Professional mix engineers in professional studios are employed for a reason.

Also, by solo'ing a channel - imagine the pandora's box of sampling issues that would arise?

Good for budding producers - not good for the original artists or music in general IMO.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Agreed. Most people just want to listen to music that's been well engineered by someone else... that's what they're paying them for. Interactivity is fun, but for a lot of people completely unnecessary. Not to mention the file size overhead this format would incur (even if they used compression, it'd still be like storing 10-20 MP3s for one song since you've got all the individual parts). Plus I guarantee a shitload of artists/labels wouldn't want individual tracks from a song to be available to the general public. It seems like they're trying to answer a question nobody asked. If any consumers are vaguely interested in this sort of stuff, they should just play with GarageBand.

To say this will be an MP3 killer is marketing hyperbole... the only reason MP3s became a standard was because of compression - all of a sudden you could store a track digitally at 12:1 ratios, at a quality that the average Joe found acceptable, and play it back in real time.

Now that it's become a standard, it's going to be very hard to replace. Formats have tried - even free + superior ones with no DRM like ogg - but ultimately failed. What makes them think a file format - which will result in even larger files than MP3, simply to enable a feature that 95% of the general public won't care about - is going to take over? :)
Last edited by a1studmuffin on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiral

Post by spiral »

i saw an ad for a sony phone that did this this morning at flinders st
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Mash Up culture might be the final nail that the corporate music industry requires so we can finally wrestle control from Mortgage Managars with prehistoric business practices that rarely favored musucians.

To some extent issue of sampling is tied up with the way royalties are distributed. I don't know if this proposed media is going to create more of an issue for musicians than at present.

I guess clever producers/ engineers and recording artists will split the mixes in creative ways without allowing tracks to be stripped naked completely, or even embed the audio tracks with a small perecentage of the rest of th mix so there not a bundle of multitracks ready to be sampled/ remixed/ mashed into other tunes etc.

Imagine being able to rip your own tunes to 8 tracks of audio and take them to a gig on portable player and remix on the fly......
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

You can do that already! :) Seriously, I reckon this format is only going to appeal to a vague, niche area of "prosumer" musicians... kind of like the Pacemaker... anyone serious about music would just be doing this stuff in a sequencer with WAVs/on a mixing desk.

The only vaguely useful thing I can think of is that you could download a track and get the dub/full vocal versions at the same time. But seriously, that's not going to cause an industry-wide format shift.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

new audio formats usually have limited success convincing the public they are better or necessary.

for this format to be successful it would need to convince producers & engineers to change they way they work in as well.

hardly an mp3 killer.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I can't mix 8 tracks of audio on a mobile phone or interface a USB stick to plug into standard DJ mixer to perform that kind of LIVE set that I imagine this format offers.
Technology is driving consumerism, so I believe MP3's will roll over and make way for another format.

Who knows what people will buy. Who would of thought that you would be taking photos on a portable phone back when ghetto blasters were the size of a pair of 1200's, a monitor speaker and the mixer they kind of replaced as far as youth culture cared,

MP3 didn't convince any producers or engineers that I know of, Why should its successor?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

MP3's convinced record labels (see iTunes).

And really, that's all that matters.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

sure, but any of the current digital formats (mp3, flac, ogg, aac, etc...) are just another way of encoding the work you have already done (a final stereo mix).

this format would require you to put some thought into mixing stems (in addition to the stereo mix), and in the process leaving the final sound up to some preset on a mobile phone...
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

FLAC for the win.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

It's no different than thinking about surround sound and placing audio on multiple channels instead of just the stereo field or even mono mix downs.
The idea seems interesting but not really anything I'd pay money for any time soon.
eg DJ mixing tunes in back room to pumping dance floor, front bar has ambient mix and the toilets could have a complete remix in sync with the original song structure. Even being able to rip audio files synced to visuals and pan between visuals whilst music plays like a high tech slide show and the gadget is no bigger than a cigarette lighter - doubles as a bottle opener and can browse on the web to download more tunes and visuals while you are playing.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Also it's a vibrator.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

vorbis is technically brilliant, and you don't have to try to mix it down yourself. sounds criss and beautiful. point is though, everyone (except iriver/iaudio, and really, who cares) is still mp3-only, so whatever.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Direktor wrote:MP3s convinced the software developers and hardware manufacturers.

edited for clarity and truth.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
Direktor wrote:MP3s convinced the software developers and hardware manufacturers.

eh, not really. all sorts of weirdshit formats were floating around, but not only was mp3 the de facto music sharing platform back in the day, napster made it absolutely impossible for anything else to ever become the standard. at the point where mp3 is a shorthand for recorded digital music, it's pretty hard to overcome. and pointless to ship a device that doesn't support it.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
system wrote:

eh, not really. all sorts of weirdshit formats were floating around, but not only was mp3 the de facto music sharing platform back in the day, napster made it absolutely impossible for anything else to ever become the standard. at the point where mp3 is a shorthand for recorded digital music, it's pretty hard to overcome. and pointless to ship a device that doesn't support it.
and the rio had nowt to do with this?

pshaw.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
system wrote: edited for clarity and truth.
and the rio had nowt to do with this?

pshaw.
the rio would never have been the rio if it didn't support mp3. it would've been yet another marginal player no-one cared about, and some other company would've made the rio.
nic

Post by nic »

Special Hegg wrote:FLAC for the win.
hmm i always see them on bleep n boomkat but never get them. i spose (without a google) they are uncompressed / lossless etc? u buy them as opposed to mp3s then?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

nic wrote:
hmm i always see them on bleep n boomkat but never get them. i spose (without a google) they are uncompressed / lossless etc? u buy them as opposed to mp3s then?
Free Lossless Audio Codec, so yeah. it's pretty pimp. compresses nice, but still utterly lossless, and not patentfucked or any of the other horrors that legal idiots like to entertain themselves with these days.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Just think of a FLAC as a zipped up WAV which you can play, rather than having to unzip it first.
deviant

Post by deviant »

LOL, as I was reading the first few posts in this thread I was thinking I was going to post this EXACT message to make myself seam really smart n stuff.....

you beat me to it :(
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

are there free/decent flac audio cd burning softs for mac?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:make myself seam really smart n stuff.....
failed twice imo.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol:
saintberry

Re:

Post by saintberry »

fooishbar wrote:
nic wrote:
Free Lossless Audio Codec, so yeah. it's pretty pimp. compresses nice, but still utterly lossless, and not patentfucked or any of the other horrors that legal idiots like to entertain themselves with these days.
Worst thing about ScratchLive. It supports AAC but not FLAC. Won't be long until file-sharing puts a stop to that though (one of the best things about it, you get de facto standards that are forced on industry).
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Lephrenic

Re:

Post by Lephrenic »

Traktor supports FLAC. Bloody iTunes and iPods don't though.
FoundationStepper wrote:are there free/decent flac audio cd burning softs for mac?
xACT
tactik

Re: The new MP3: Better than the new Black?

Post by tactik »

Does no-one remember stereo and quad 8-track carts?

The mp3 version sounds like a brainchild of middle-management's ignorance and the blatherings of a group of 'creatives' clutching at a heady mixture of straw and terrible ideas...

It is blatantly obvious (listening to their chosen audio out of distorting mobile phones and the backside of iPod headphones) that consumers like their commercial music to sound like arse, with cheesy production values and little artistic merit.

On the other hand... you can't really make those kind of releases sound worse, so I say.... Go For It!

OGG for portable audio
FLAC or Wavpack for highend

It is all summed up nicely in this statement from someone above...
"...and in the process leaving the final sound up to some preset on a mobile phone..."
should read
"...and in the process leaving the final sound up to some munter with a mobile phone..."