EKS OTUS

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Kaiproject

EKS OTUS

Post by Kaiproject »

Just interested in what people think of the OTUS? Actually doing a marketing assignment on it at uni.

Both digital DJs and traditional - if you're anti-digital or controllerism or just don't see yourself getting into it why not? Does the OTUS come closer at all to being desirable than past controllers like those by Vestax, M-Audio, Numark etc??

Has anyone purchased it, or thought about doing so? Why/why not?

If you've had a play with it or went to a product launch what do you think?

http://eks.fi/product.php?p=products&id=34

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2302
nic

Re: EKS OTUS

Post by nic »

its very very ugly and looks very very nasty
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

nic wrote:its very very ugly and looks very very nasty
hahah, interesting, agree to disagree, thx for the detailed response :P

looks aside, how you reckon it compares to other controllers (mostly designed for a single piece of software like traktor, serator itch, numark one etc) what do you think of EKS' claims of "future-proof technology" lulz
deviant

Post by deviant »

check out my synopsis here...
mrj

Post by mrj »

i think it looks crap
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I've got no use for somethign that goes on top of my decks that isn't a record.
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote:i think it looks crap
as in aesthetically? Or funtionality?
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote:
mrj wrote:i think it looks crap
as in aesthetically? Or funtionality?
as in aesthetically.

functionality wise I can't say as haven't had a play. altho tbh i don't really see the point functionality wise either, unless perhaps you were using it for tracktor scratch or serato itch. Then maybe having the platter I guess is a good idea.

But other than that why have the platter at all. Something like the Kontrol X1 controls everything like play, cue, pitch bend, looping, efx etc, and is heaps more portable.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.
deviant

Post by deviant »

serious?

So that it feels and plays like a CDJ1000, something familiar to most DJs. The top of the platter can be used for scratching/cueing and the sides used for jog/scrub and push/pull to get tunes bang in time. I can't think of anything worse than DJing with a bunch of buttons.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy one of these asap :)
mrj

Post by mrj »

Heh well I guess part of it is I don't need the push/pull cos I have my good old friend the sync button. yes its cheating but im fine with that.

and for scratching I see the value. and I guess for cueing. altho i always have hot cue's setup so I just use those for cueing.

i dunno, i guess its a personal preference thing, but for me there are better solutions out there.

The Kontrol X1 does everything i need to do besides controlling the mixer itself, which of course you have the mixer for.
deviant

Post by deviant »

is the kontrol x1 also a sound card? or purely a controller?
flippo

Post by flippo »

I think I can definatley see the point in this.
if I where using serato or tracktor in a club environment I recon that would suit me really well. Mainly because I hate burning/writing on/flicking through/trying to read/loosing CDs but like the feel of CDJs for controlling pitch. The fact that you can plonk it ontop of a 1200 easily is a bonus and the mouse trackpad is a great idea. The fact that it's not trying to replicate a mixer is also conducive to club use i think.

I think it's quite a smart bit of kit if you're doing a lot of gigs with a digital non-cd setup. Yeah it looks ugly but meh.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I like the look, better than most plasticy crap from numark, m-audio etc etc.
flippo

Post by flippo »

yeah well build quality looks pretty solid.
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote:is the kontrol x1 also a sound card? or purely a controller?
purely controller. i think you are supposed to use it with those NI traktor audio 4 and audio 8 units or whatevers which act as the sound card in this situation.

i just plug it usb style into my laptop and use the lappy soundcard.

the upshot of all this i guess is i'm no dj. i don't play out, i'm just mucking about in my bedroom making my own mixes for fun, and to listen to when i go running or at the gym. i can't comment on what works in a club scenario, but lappy + traktor + kontrol x1 + mixer definitley works for me.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

^ have used traktor + kontrol x1 + audio8-dj + club mixer at a few gigs now and its a good setup.

the x1 is great if having problems with the decks/needles etc (and even if not its great for browsing track collection, looping and even cueing if need be..defo for jumping between cue points...can even jam out a beat with it)

would like to see the otus in action, can def see the merit (that its soundcard too, and the jogwheel) but its still good to use vinyl or cdj control . and altho setting up the audio8 soundcard can be a bit of a pain you still needa fiddle with the mixer/RCA cables with Otus too right?

one thing that would be great would be if clubs would get those serator switcher units.
or at least if Serator DJs would all get NI Multicore Cables, making changovers way quicker (unplug middle bit, plug yours in, done). better quality cables anyway.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Kaiproject wrote: one thing that would be great would be if clubs would get those serator switcher units.
look, they're even on sale! http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/specials/ ... chbox.html
deviant

Post by deviant »

Imma gunna wait until they bring the next one out that has drum pads on it AND two physical pitch faders.

WIN