Mixer to travel with?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
quick

Mixer to travel with?

Post by quick »

hey guys, I have never looked into this but I would love to get something to plug into my netbook so i can mix tunes when i am over in Europe. I only have a simple lappy, 2gig ram, win 7 32 bit, so i am not even sure it will run that well on it.

I have played briefly with the m-audio mixer, which i am pretty sure i would need to combine with extra sound card usb thing for cueing tunes... i like the idea of all in one mixer but they are probably too big to lug around the world with...

what is simple and small and would be suitable to just mix tunes from lappy? cheap is better cos it will only be for some fun whilst overseas...

cheers for the help
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
quick

Re: Mixer to travel with?

Post by quick »

also, what do people find better interfaces, torq or traktor?
deviant

Post by deviant »

this thing is only $279 and has sound card built in...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCD3000.aspx
mrj

Post by mrj »

Prior to the Kontrol S4 being announced I was looking at the Hercules mixers as these integrate a sound card.

Prior to my S4 tho I was using a 2 channel m audio mixer, a Kontrol X1 and Traktor.

I reckon for travelling a Kontrol X1 combined with Traktor is perfect. No faders or anything but lots of control over cue points and loops which I find more appealing.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
quick

Post by quick »

so traktor is preferable to torq or is it much of a muchness?

i do like the kontrol x1 but it is more pricey than the m-audio x-session pro... Josh yo have both, what makes kontrol x1 worth the extra? is it traktor or mainly the unit... i kinda like the faders and have never been into doing the looping thing while mixing... effects are fun tho.

plus, isn't the x-session a lot smaller?

an all in one unit is probably too big, the ones suggested do seem pretty massive in comparison to just mixer, having a separate usb sound card, like the numark dj I/O http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5 ... BUUVZ49AZ4
would suffice and may even save space... unless there is a smaller more compact all in one... but i couldn't find one...

i just hope it runs on my eeepc, don't want to waste moneys on shitty laggy mixing tools...

any chance i could borrow yours for a day or so J, to see if it works? :D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Dude, if it's just for traveling/self entertainment purposes - buy yourself a Pacemaker: http://storedj.com.au/products/TON-PACEMAKER - it's like an iPod classic on steroids. Two decks, mixer, effects and fuckloads more. They're stupidly cheap now too.

In regards to your other questions, I prefer Traktor streets ahead of any other system.

Some other units that may interest you (that can run with Traktor):
http://www.numark.com/omnicontrol
http://www.numark.com/mixtrackpro (both have inbuilt soundcards and are smaller than S4).
All the NI stuff is good quality also. I'd be hesitant looking at Hercules tbh.
quick

Post by quick »

cheers for that... price is a bit of an issue with those other units... the omni control looks pretty good, so if i could get a second hand one of that, would be nice...

i think i will just got for the m-audio x-session pro with the numark dj io... both small and can probably get each for under $100 if i am lucky... it will mean i will go with Torq, but from what i can tell, there are pros and cons for both so it comes down to what u get used to i spose...

will keep lookin for a cheap omni control tho, anyone used it?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yep. Have used the Omni. Decent controller (as far as controllers go). Built like a tank too - it's got a metal casing from memory.
dingus

Post by dingus »

Omni is my brand