tips for newbies?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
sarahsausage

tips for newbies?

Post by sarahsausage »

Hey guys I'm about to get myself set up for the first time and there's a hell of alot of options out there. I was hoping some of you might have some pointers for me.. maybe something you wish someone had have taught you in the beginning.. or which sort of set up would be a great starter. i was initially thinking I'd go vinyl but with all this music already on the laptop, it'd be cheaper and easier to use this, a controller and tractor? cerado? are there any advantages or disadvantages that are worth taking into consideration? any ways too of cutting costs with the software? 2nd hand?
Direkt

Re: tips for newbies?

Post by Direkt »

Welcome!

Yeah, I'd definitely look at going digital. If you want the feel of vinyl, perhaps look at getting a vinyl-driven digital system, such as Traktor Scratch or SSL (Serato Scratch Live). You would need to combine this with at least two direct-drive turntables and a mixer. OR, there are some controllers out there that do a pretty good job of functioning like a vinyl turntable (Numark's NS7 and V7 in particular, they feature moving platters with a real 7" vinyl surface).

I only advocate digital because it is HEAPS cheaper than vinyl, around 1/10th the price. It's more accessible, it's more portable and it's where things are headed. Vinyl is great, don't get me wrong, but it's not cheap and it's not as prevalent as it used to be.

My only advice is, if you're serious about doing it - buy quality. If you're not sure about stepping into DJ'ing, then perhaps a cheaper alternative is more viable. I only advocate quality because if you buy something cheap - you won't have the best experience, and you'll probably just have to fork out more money down the track to upgrade.

Hope this helps you out, let me know if I can be of any more help. :D
mrj

Post by mrj »

i got traktor s4 a few months ago and its the bizness. if you have a laptop and a stereo then all you need is the s4 and off you go.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
sarahsausage

Post by sarahsausage »

sweet :) thanks guys! they all sound really cool.. i like the idea of the s4 hey. i was tempted just to buy it but man they're expensive. $1000 AUD yeah? Is that a fairly decent price considering? how long does it usually take for prices on this sorta gear to go down? maybe i'd be better off picking up something second hand (keeping in mind Direkt's suggestion on buying quality first time round-thank you by the way). orrr. could i not just install/download tractor (or any other software) and just use my laptop as the controls? i'm guessing it would be fiddley and I'd be limited in what i could do but if i was familiar with the software and knew that i could handle it then maybe forking out 1000 + bucks wouldn't seem so crazy. yeah? i like that idea.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Haha thats a lot of questions

When I first got tracktor i did what you describe. Just used the software and basically DJ'ed with the mouse. It was good fun and fine for mucking around making mixes and the such (in fact my most favourite mix I made in this way, link is here - http://dubstep.com.au/mixes/mrj-March_2010.mp3).

But I quickly became frustrated because its quite limiting. Using Traktor in this way you can only change one paramter at a time, and its hard to quickly flick between actions. When DJing you often want to be changing 2 or 3 things at once (ie, Fader, EQ, Effects or Looping) or may want to do many things in quick succession. For this you really need a controller.

By the time you buy Traktor + midi controller + maybe a Kontrol X1 you will be looking at close to a grand anways.

The S4 is great value, solid and awesome. It really opens up the possiblities of the software and is just heaps of fun. I can't recommend it highly enough. To be honest I was suprised they priced it so low, I reckon they would have sold just as many units at $1500.

Also the thing to remember here is ongoing cost. Sure you can go out and buy turntables, but then you need to spin vinyl which is going to cost $20 a tune. Its expensive to build up a good collection of tunes in this way. If you go digital you instantly have access to every tune you already have on CD or on your computer + tunes are going to cost you $1-$2 per tune from there. Its a lot cheaper in the long run and you will have access to so many more tunes rather than trying to hunt down your favourites on vinyl - a difficult proposition.

Final thing is portablity. Ever had to lug turnables + mixer + vinyl to a friends house for a party - PAIN IN THE ARSE. With something like the S4 you just chuck the laptop in the bag and carry the controller, then plug into your friends stereo when you get there. easy as.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

The Australian wholesaler of Traktor had to price it at $999inc. RRP, as N.I. (Germany) priced the S4 @ $999, delivered freight free into Australia, direct from their website. Pretty rude of N.I. to do this to the AU wholesaler in their own market place imo.

I wouldn't envision the price dropping for some time.
sarahsausage

Post by sarahsausage »

hmmm i mighta made up my mind.. i'm gonna have to put a bit of money aside first :) yay
thanks so much for your help guys!
nice mix by the way, i'm only 10 mins through but i like. very much so.. Radiohead? even better