Tips for newbie recording

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
aimsg90

Tips for newbie recording

Post by aimsg90 »

Hi All,

I was hoping for some tips on recording from some peeps with a bit of knowledge.

Please listen to my track and let me know.
http://amyganter.bandcamp.com/track/mamma

I've got a Mac book with garage band so have been using that to record.

Equipment:

Basic Mixer
Shure Mic

Tips and pointers would be great so I can try and improve on the sound.

Thanks
unsoundbwoy

Re: Tips for newbie recording

Post by unsoundbwoy »

sounds fine as a demo to work ideas out before recording in a studio...

but, its sounds like you've used the internal pickup in an acoustic, sounds kinda middly/boxy and has no high end sparkle, i'd think about chucking a condenser (can get a studio projects b1 fairly cheap) in front of it going direct into your interface (the lower end of the focusrite saffire series have nice pres for really cheap) then putting the vocal over that in a second take with the same mic, don't think the mixer pres will be doing you any favours.
also try recording the guitar with the mic placed at a few different places in front of you and see what sounds how you want it to sound, depending on whether you want more string sounds, more body, etc etc.
also its a little unprocessed, could do with more eq and definitely some more verb in the vocal