Soundcards.

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
ukime

Soundcards.

Post by ukime »

So, you get to the point that you like your beats so much you want to (1) record mixes (2) start producing your own music (3) playing live. Unfortunately, you've upgraded everything in your computer BUT your soundcard ... so you're stuck with an old piece-of-crap Soundblaster Vibra 128 (ouch =/)

Anyway, that's the stage I'm at at the moment ... and I'm looking at investing in a decent soundcard for the above reasons. But here's where everyone has something different to say ...

Of course, the old saying goes ... you get what you pay for. This is usually true in just about every facet of audio and computer equipment - but the whole $1000 sound card thing scares me off a bit. I'm looking for something that won't succum to internal noise and static ... and it's a little hard when it's stuck inside your case - even the shielding in it cant block out 100% of the electrical interferance (unless you really spend $).

So what to look for? What brands? Myself, I think I'm over Creative ... but they seem to have a decent stock (and price) for external soundcards (very usual for eliminating noise/static/interferance, and portability with laptops). Other brands (M-Audio, Turtle Beach etc.) start getting a bit pricey when you hit the external market.

At the end of the day, what I really want is something that has more than 2 channels, has a decent line-in for recording and comes with midi capabilities.

Anyone really happy with their soundcard and want to share their happiness and wisdom? Or anyone have tips for what to look for in a soundcard when used primarily from a production standpoint?
Fents

Post by Fents »

Creative Sucks...

Emu's ok, as is MAudio....But myself, im still looking for the same thing u are, if u find it let me know!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

creative audigy platinum external i use and haven't had any problems whatsoever in the past 12 months.

mainly use it with soundforge, audition and acid ... really simple and easy to use.
ukime

Post by ukime »

i've been looking at the extigy ... it's basically meant to be an external version of the audigy ... the platinum is like $600 though, probably more.

i'll be using it mainly with Cubase, Ableton and possibly Reason (not as likely though). Just need more channels for monitoring.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

EMU-X
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
ukime

Post by ukime »

Yeah that looks pretty sweet - not too overkill.

Any idea what the prices are like on those? Or who stocks them?
lynt

Post by lynt »

I got my Creamware Luna 2 on eBay for $400 .. retailed at over $1500 at the time.. not the maddest card on the market but I haven't had one once of trouble with it. ASIO2.0, onboard 16 chan mixer and DSP effects... total riot.

Only problem is paying for the licenses to use the onboard effects and synths, which I didnt get to do since the card was second hand.

It's now called the Creamware Scope Home.. www.creamware.com
ukime

Post by ukime »

haven't really come across it before - checkin it now.
Blueprint

Post by Blueprint »

Look for bit-rate (20-24bit), dynamic range and low latency..

Can't recommend Echo more highly.. http://www.echoaudio.com .. have both the Gina PCI and Indigo DJ PCMCIA for the laptop.. can pick them up cheap on eBay from the states..
quick

Post by quick »

Don't get usb sound card, I made that mistake, ASIO drivers and USB soundcards don't mix. :x
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
.sfire.

Post by .sfire. »

have a look at some digidesign equip. expensive but very user friendly and you get the pro tools software with it

im using digi 002 n works really well althouhg your lookin $2500 range..
was using the mbox but just have upgraded, mbox is currently for sale for $500 although ive got someone who already wants it, its a cool little unit and if your just recording sets, not doing production or recording then you wont need heaps of ins n outs. just make sure the soundcard you get has got good asio drivers, coz thats the most important thing
WEDNESDAYS @ BUNKER LOUNGE
LIVE HIP HOP NIGHT
407 Swanston St
Mata & Must, dj Safire Yaps & viscious (Microphone AttiX) , Urban Monk, Critical & Prima, Exact, Dj Flea .... Open Mic After sets!
ukime

Post by ukime »

Great! thanks for the help peeps :wink:
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
jules

Post by jules »

i scored an M-audio Audiophile 24/96 cheap on ebay, and im very happy with it. Im mainly using the spdif i/o. and the stereo i/o for recording to and from my computer and stereo mixdowns from the mixer. etc..

http://www.em411.com/list/product/202/h ... dcard.html
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

bro just picked up soundblaster audigy2-
(24bit adv-hd, 192kHz. 106db snr)
should do the trick right?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

stay away from the creative cards.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
ukime

Post by ukime »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:stay away from the creative cards.
werd. the main purpose of this thread really ... to find out what people are using besides Creative.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.