Any one wrighting minimal

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
same o
peteybear™

Any one wrighting minimal

Post by same o »

i have just started making tunes.. started wrighting minimal just learning how to do shit.. ny way wondering if ny one else was wrighting it..
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Yeah I've tried.
Don't hate me for house
flippo

Post by flippo »

best technique is to make a banging tune and then just randomly delete most of the channels.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I find the best technique is to reassign 40 - 70% of your drum hits with hihat samples.
Don't hate me for house
flippo

Post by flippo »

but yeh seriously, I guess it's a similar writing style to dub, I'm far from experiences but, my tip would be to put effort into changing some of the more subtle instrument and effect parameters as the tune progresses. If you have a few very bare sounds repeating the brain picks up on the fact they they sound exactly the same and starts tuneing out, so you need to change things like the EQ on your reverbs, delay feedback level, subtle changes in release/attack/sustain of your amp and filter envelopes, pretty much everything, the kinda stuff that is not very noticable, but enough to trick your brain into enjoying it, if that makes sense. If you got a midi controler, asign a whole bunch of parmeters to heaps of knobs, get a chunk of your tune and repeat it for ages in your sequencer, hit record and just sit there recording really long envelope clips for those parameters for a while untill you think you are onto something.
Sick Aunt Slip

Re: Any one wrighting minimal

Post by Sick Aunt Slip »

I have been dabbling with production mainly working on minimal and im about to release my first track. Some of the things I have picked up on from trial and error and a bit of self education is get the drums right first nice kicks withe pulsing bass lines on the off beats make for a nice sound. What progam are you using, I use ableton and find that side chaining really helps to get a nice wide sound which is what you want and then go from there see what works and what doesnt. I experiment and am trying to come up with stuff a little different to the normal minimal thats kicking around so if you have any specific Questions msg me and ill see if I can Help.

Also Remember Less is More so work on unique sounds rather than huge long melody's.