What monitors should I buy for under $1000?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
a1studmuffin

What monitors should I buy for under $1000?

Post by a1studmuffin »

I'm looking for my first pair of studio monitors and I guess a sound card to boot. I don't mind if I get them second hand, just wondering what are the better brands/models for a rough price range of $500-1000? One of my mates is selling 2 x Behringer Truth 2032s, also another friend just got a pair of Alesis M1s for just over $700. Like I say it'll be my first pair, so any suggestions would be helpful. Also, does the sound card make a big difference to the result? I'm used to having digital speakers so sound card quality was never an issue, but do professional studio monitors generally only take in an analogue input, hence the quality of sound card mattering a lot more?
Fents

Post by Fents »

I dont know too much prob wanna speak to Dan Motive or Spherix but i reckon the M1's are the way to go.

Also soundcard does make a diff, but im not techy enuff to tell u which one or how.

EZ :)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Fents wrote:I dont know too much prob wanna speak to Dan Motive or Spherix but i reckon the M1's are the way to go.

Also soundcard does make a diff, but im not techy enuff to tell u which one or how.

i have alesis m1 actives..they good.

others will tell you they are shite.

same old same old.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Under a grand? Thats tough.

not the truths, anything but the thruths.

M1's are not bad, but saving up more money is even better 8)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
Fents wrote:I dont know too much prob wanna speak to Dan Motive or Spherix but i reckon the M1's are the way to go.

i have alesis m1 actives..they good.

others will tell you they are shite.

same old same old.
I have these too. happy with them
Don't hate me for house
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

me too.

:smt023
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

i think M1s are a bit muddy around the low end personally, and give off fake bass, but you can do with them, depends on the room, some i heave hear sounded ok, some sounded a bit flat.....

for around a grand these days you could get tannoy reveals i guess, motive uses them i think
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Spherix wrote:i think M1s are a bit muddy around the low end personally, and give off fake bass, but you can do with them, depends on the room, some i heave hear sounded ok, some sounded a bit flat.....

for around a grand these days you could get tannoy reveals i guess, motive uses them i think
I've noticed with the M1s that you get a lot worse sound if you are sitting at your computer and they are on the same desk (or close to you).

You have to be about 2 meters back for the bass to kick in proper.
Don't hate me for house
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

thats odd seeing as they are direct/nearfield
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Spherix wrote:thats odd seeing as they are direct/nearfield
Maybe it's my room then?

I dunno, I know jack about this stuff - just what I hear. I always have to go and sit on a couch a bit away to have a listen cause it sounds better.
Don't hate me for house
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

billy hydes have teh m1's for 1/2 price at the mo.

and allans have a sale on. i got mine for 1/2 price there ages ago
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Check out: M-Audio's BX8's -- big bang for your buck (not like those lasses in St.K!!!)... Sound-card quality is gonna make a big difference to what comes out of your speakers, as well as what goes into it.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

tapco are mackies sister brand, their 8 inch actives are pretty chepa and decent enough (better than truths or alesis m1 anyways)
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

Never compared them to the truths but a mate of mines got tannoy reveals which i thought were awesome value for money, just a little bit muddy in the low mids, but really direct and balanced in the prescence and highs. I got a set of Dynaudio BM5 passives which r about a grand but u gotta get an amp as well of course. Swear by them though, just could go down a little lower. Real easy speaker to listen to.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

again and again :P
jules

Post by jules »

do u have them on either side of your monitor? if so i find it bad, cause its fuks up your center image. also speakers work best if they are recessed into a concrete wall.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

jules wrote:also speakers work best if they are recessed into a concrete wall.
...only if they are designed to be soffit mounted. but yes sofit mounted monitors sounds great because they cut out some of the placemnet issues etc. (but they would be no where near $1000 :wink:)
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Cheers for all the info, still not sure what I'll get but sounds like it'll be Tannoys or M1s. Any advice for positioning them? I've been told to space them as far apart as you are from each speaker (equaliateral triangle) at ear height and have them toward at you. What's the best way to separate them from whatever they're sitting on? I've just stuck a couple of folded up towels under the speakers I've got at the moment but I'm really dressing a turd, they're such shitty quality.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

jules yes they are on either side of the monitor, at a great enough distance that the stereo image is all good, got them centered so im in the sweet spot
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

a1studmuffin wrote:Cheers for all the info, still not sure what I'll get but sounds like it'll be Tannoys or M1s. Any advice for positioning them? I've been told to space them as far apart as you are from each speaker (equaliateral triangle) at ear height and have them toward at you. What's the best way to separate them from whatever they're sitting on? I've just stuck a couple of folded up towels under the speakers I've got at the moment but I'm really dressing a turd, they're such shitty quality.
---> put em on the foam end that they come in inseide the box, i find it works well
lynt

Post by lynt »

Spherix wrote: ---> put em on the foam end that they come in inseide the box, i find it works well
word, put some black cloth over the foam and you got instant cheap but slick looking cushions :P
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

bleedat