Justice Cancelled Fabriclive 37 Mix

Post links to mixes here.
nic

Justice Cancelled Fabriclive 37 Mix

Post by nic »

The Justice mix that was supposed to be Fabriclive 37 was rejected by Fabric due to it not meeting their rules on mixes (too short) Justice have given it away for free anyway...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6400116de5f697

01 Sparks – Tryouts For The Human Race – Virgin
02 Rondo Veneziano – La Serenissima - Universal
03 Goblin – Tenebrae - Cinevox
04 Daft Punk – Ouverture - Virgin
05 Surkin – Next Of Kin – Institubes
06 SymbolOne – Love Juice - SymbolOne
07 Korgis – Everybodys Gotta Learn Sometimes – Angel Air
08 Midnight Juggernauts – Ending Of An Era – Mindight Juggernauts
09 The Paradise Ft Romauld – In Love With You – Vulture
10 Justice – TTHHEE PPAARRTTYY (Acapella) – Ed Banger
11 Chic – Everybody Dance – Atlantic
12 Frankie Valli – Who Loves You – Warners
13 Das Pop – Underground – Das Pop
14 Julien Clerc – Quand Je Joue – EMI
15 Daniel Balavoine – Vivre Ou Survivre – Barclay
16 Richard Sanderson – Reality - Barclay
17 Zoot Woman - Grey Day - Wall Of Sound
18 Fucking Champs – Thor Is Like Immortal – Drag City
19 The Rave – Mother – The Rave
20 Fancy – You Never Know - Fancy
21 Frank Stallone – Far From Over - Universal
22 Sheila – Misery – Warners
23 Todd Rundgren – International Feel - Warners
Stray

Post by Stray »

nice one. will download in the future.
nic

Post by nic »

Actually we made the mix without caring about the second rule because we think it is quite obsolete for 2007. We did something we considered good and dynamic but it only lasted 45 minutes. We thought it was correct enough, but they are picky about that. But we didn't want to extend the songs because it sounded ridiculous. So we made a few copies that we give away as Ed banger Xmas gift. Plus, they have been astonished when they heard the mix, they thought it was a joke but it was a very a sincere Top 25 of our favourites tracks. Even if we didn't put all the tracks we wanted such as "another man's woman" from "supertramp" or "dim all the lights" from "Donna summer". But the real problem was this 70 minutes thing...
nic

Post by nic »

another intresting insight into the fabriclive series from spankrock
its a pretty rigid set of rules.

70-75 mins
20-25 tracks

wouldnt work too well with producers whose dj sets often only have 1-2 mins cuts of a song. fine for boring bastards who mix end to end tho.
There's a good explanation of the rules and shit from Spank Rock, who had their first attempt rejected...

"...the licensing is a huge process that has a big influence on how the mix ends up. with Fabric it worked like this:

first you make a wish list of stuff, then they try and license all that stuff. about half of the requests will get turned down and another quarter will come with specific instructions (more on this later). so, if you've tried to make any kind of coherent statement with the tracks you've picked on the first round you're gonna need to compensate for all the holes on the second round of wish-listing.

to avoid unnecessary arguments and confusion I took over nearly the entire selection / licensing process on our side of things. that's probably why this mix ended up being a more electro stuff /obvious hits and less rap / obscure rock stuff than our previous mixes, just 'cause that's the way my taste runs.

some of the stuff that got turned down was really suprising, we tried to get two seperate tracks by MU but apparently they deny everything on general principal. "cola bottle baby" got turned down and all kinds of other obscure shit got turned down...people who you'd figure would be clamoring over each other to get that licensing money...! justin timberlake of course got turned down but, rick ross got approved. go figure...

owner of a lonely heart" got approved. but we weren't allowed to re-edit it in any way so, i had to hire Tyler Pope to come in and re-play the guitar parts for that and the justin timberlake song. we also had to make a fake version of MU's "Paris Hilton" which happens underneath the "technologic" acapella. in the end, the easiest companies to work with were the smaller, more dance oriented ones like, ed rec, institubes and, gigolo, who are actually familiar with the Fabric mix cd series.

this one is way more stretched out than the rest of our mixes, in terms of letting each track actually play for a while etc...

fabric requires you to fill 70 minutes with only about 25 tracks licensed, which means each track has to play for about 2 and a half minutes. this format, I feel, is a little bit outdated and is probably better suited to doing a compliation cd rather than a mix cd. However, since it's impossible for fabric (or scion, or whoever) to make any money off these cd's if there's more than 25 tracks lisenced, we're all stuck trying to fill that space with that amount of songs. so it's nice to pick 12"s that have the acapellas and bonus beats and all that other good shit to play around with...

so, while finishing the mix, I forgot about the 70 minute length requirement ( the other dudes were on tour by this time) and, I turned in a 54 minute one. so, they made me go back and re-do it but, were nice enough to license a few more tracks (over their normal limit) to help me fill it out. in the end we figured out how to make it work but left the experience ready to do another "fun" ( apparently now also illegal) mixtape as soon as possible"
johnnynostars

Post by johnnynostars »

It's a real shame that they can't put what they really want in their mixes, but it is understandable cos of licensing and monies. Loving this freebie though!
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Great freebie! That is a fairly limiting set of rules though.
flippo

Post by flippo »

I must say, I do get the feeling from a few stories, interviews and press bit's that Justice are fielstly little arogant cunts. I wonder if they did it with intent to rock the boat?
flippo

Post by flippo »

you often delete your replies nic.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

thats funny cuz the caspa rusko one had the most tracks ever on a fabric live series
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Yeah, they do come across as a little arrogant to be honest. I mean if you get asked to do a Fabric CD, why wouldn't you just do it, meeting their criteria? Tonnes of other artists have from all different subgenres of electronic music, so why can't they?
RK

Post by RK »

sAme'0 wrote:thats funny cuz the caspa rusko one had the most tracks ever on a fabric live series
Cant imagine that licensing tracks would be an issue for them tho $$ and permission wise - heaps of their own and their mates tunes.
On the mish.....
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

RK wrote:
sAme'0 wrote:thats funny cuz the caspa rusko one had the most tracks ever on a fabric live series
Cant imagine that licensing tracks would be an issue for them tho $$ and permission wise - heaps of their own and their mates tunes.
DUBSTEP IS BIG BIZNESS
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

flippo wrote:I must say, I do get the feeling from a few stories, interviews and press bit's that Justice are fielstly little arogant cunts. I wonder if they did it with intent to rock the boat?
They can't help it, they're French.
Hatsudai

Re: Justice Cancelled Fabriclive 37 Mix

Post by Hatsudai »

nic wrote: 02 Rondo Veneziano – La Serenissima - Universal
Love this song, video is a classic too
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I love this mix.
Don't hate me for house
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »