Melbourne Stencil Festival

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
breaksRbest

Melbourne Stencil Festival

Post by breaksRbest »

The second Melbourne Stencil Festival launches this Friday, 25th February, at 6pm in the Meat Market, 42 Courtney St, North Melbourne.

The event features an exhibition of works by national and international artists, and an open submission expo in addition to a film night, market and public talk on ‘Public Art and Copyrights’. The event closes with a panel discussion ‘Sold out? The Future of Street Art’ and charity auction on Sunday afternoon, 6 March. The auction will include collaborative works completed by local artists.

Festival dates: Friday, the 25 February - Sunday, 6 March
Opening hours: from 3pm on weekdays and 11am on weekends. Admission is free.
For more info and program up-dates: www.stencilfestival.com

I'll be checking this out on Sunday 8)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ruby

Post by ruby »

yeh this looks like a good one- especially the talk on public art and copyrights. Word is that there are some really dope pieces up for auction so everyone one should get down there and check it out with their hands in their wallets ready to support not only charity but their local artists as well :)
Last edited by ruby on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Im going Friday night :D

Looked through the wares for sale in the gallery set up over the weekend....mostest dopest muchoiest :D
lynt

Post by lynt »

im checkin it friday before da freQ

can someone give me a lift there? :lol:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

lynt wrote: can someone give me a lift there? :lol:
dude, i told ya im NOT piggybacking ya this time :shock:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

lynt wrote:im checkin it friday before da freQ

can someone give me a lift there? :lol:
I'll drive ya
mecka

Post by mecka »

Hrm sounds interesting. While I believe that the day of the stencil is well and truly OVER - I'll prolly go and check this out.
Focus

Post by Focus »

Fuck stencils, anyone can do that shit.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

mecka wrote:Hrm sounds interesting. While I believe that the day of the stencil is well and truly OVER - I'll prolly go and check this out.
You should Ollie.. if only to check out the Meat Market.. its an awesome venue...
mecka

Post by mecka »

Haha - with a name like the Meat Market, how could I go wrong?

Unless its a gay bar. :lol:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

mecka wrote:Haha - with a name like the Meat Market, how could I go wrong?

Unless its a gay bar. :lol:
yeah... we had a club back home called The Meat Market... and it was! The club across the road was called The Black Market.....and you could :D :shock:

come check it out dude.. :D
ruby

Post by ruby »

stovequeen wrote:You should Ollie.. if only to check out the Meat Market.. its an awesome venue...
For sure, I worked there years ago as a student doing screen printing and the like, best workplace ever@!

And yes mecka the day of the stencil is well and truely over.... in fact it was about 4 years ago imo :P But it'll still be a dope exhibition with some decent stuff instead of the machine cut, stolen internet images we are seeing at the mo.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

Focus wrote:Fuck stencils, anyone can do that shit.
yes anyone can do a stencil, anyone also can do a tag or a piece of graf, yet it is the quality of the work that one should look at not the form. Multi layered stencils are often in a class of their own.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

^^^^^ w3rd to that
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

DEAN G wrote:
yes anyone can do a stencil, anyone also can do a tag or a piece of graf, yet it is the quality of the work that one should look at not the form. Multi layered stencils are often in a class of their own.
word.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

yeah, like anyone can do a gentrifuct sticker (how much those things piss me off!), but stuff like this is boh:

http://www.m-city.org/

ruby

Post by ruby »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
DEAN G wrote:
word.
I agree to some extent but unfortunatly even good multi layered pieces are few and far between these days. Technically things are getting better in the stencil world because so many people are getting their shit machine cut for them. There is of course exceptions though... Such as the one valuetime just posted... love that biznus.
mecka

Post by mecka »

I've really only ever appreciated one machine cut stencillist - those dudes who put up the REALLY intricate mecha (giant robots) about 3 years ago. There's a few in Duckboard Place, where honkytonks is.
prez

Post by prez »

will DEF be checkin this shit out. Livin in hobart we get not only no good quality stencils....but no stencils at all. have seen one in the past year that has been pretty dope. Cant wait to be surrounded by vandalistic vibes again.
SQ u gonna show me where this is?
i like my pockets fat
nhd

Post by nhd »

im thinking ill be at this, yesss. least thats what i was told was going down on a friday night.
Trailer_trash

Post by Trailer_trash »

...yep its all about the fad, wheneva it was(wtf??).....lets hope we don't hear any tunes @ 33.3 from 4 years ago :?

I'll be there...
Charlie don't surf!!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

hey- that guy looks familiar.

and big props to the Brisbane contingante, they got a mad space in the valley, prime possy and have been pushing it up there for years, great crew.
Focus

Post by Focus »

DEAN G wrote:
Post up some of these multi layered stencils, stuff that you would consider in a class of their own. I rarely see these myself, most of the ones i see are single layered often style looks copied or is a picture some well known figure.
Quality is not something i see in stencils.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

prez wrote:will DEF be checkin this shit out. Livin in hobart we get not only no good quality stencils....but no stencils at all. have seen one in the past year that has been pretty dope. Cant wait to be surrounded by vandalistic vibes again.
SQ u gonna show me where this is?
yep.. i'll show you when you get here H :D
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

in reference to above stencil (by logan) from relating forum
Threesixxty

That is undoubtedly machine cut. Suckers.

logan hicks aka workhorse

Threesixxty, fuck you. come check me and sit your fat ass in front of me for 100 hours and watch me cut it. i loath fuckers like you that cant give props for someone that is good. this is how i make my living. perhaps you should stop yapping your flap so much and begin cutting.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

right on.

i used to spend hours and fucking hours cutting. oh man, so long. so long i would lose all feeling in my fingers.

but the results are worth it.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

[quote="Focus"]
I rarely see these myself, quote]

That is all you needed to say, a mere acknowledgment that they exist.

In regards to stencils being mainly a means of projecting a recycled image, yes this is the case with the majority, however having said that i would also state that the majority of graffers are merely recycling another ones image through their techniques and styles. There isn't a great deal of artist pushing the boundary with pieces at the moment. Give it that they may be of a high quality, there are few that have developed their own distinct styles. Presto is coming up with some interesting stuff at the moment, using a combination of graf, stencil and vinyl as if it was almost a collage of street art.

Just my two cents anyway
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

and on the same tip, most of the graff you see (and art in that respect) is dead of an author, an immitation or just plain shit. like any form, there is always an next level, it is just that the basis of much of stencil art is replication, of itself or of something else, and often times it is simplistic. I respect the form and the medium, not always the artist. But there are some mad cats out there, and Melbourne has a mad scene for this.

better a painted wall than a plain wall. most times.
ukime

Post by ukime »

Wow. That above stencil is incredible :o

Missed this last year, definately checking it out this time.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
waggers

Post by waggers »

Yeah, I'm definitely heading in for this - check http://www.stencilrevolution.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=10 for more information.

I'll be there in my stencilled Y-fronts.
(hand-cut, me muckers!) :lol:
Fix up, Look sharp!
Ani

Post by Ani »

http://stencilrevolution.com/photopost/ ... ppuser=952

For pics of stencils... thanks for the lead waggers
Last edited by Ani on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Focus

Post by Focus »

^^^ I like that.

Anyways, guess i was proved wrong, I like to get proved wrong and i was kind of hoping it was going to happen after all i know jack-shit about stencilling.

Post up some more stuff.
Ani

Post by Ani »

I want this umbrella!

ukime

Post by ukime »

Haha, that's pretty damn cool. I'm not much of a blue person though I don't think.

Damn, all this is making me want to take up stenciling. Wouldn't know where to start or how to get the creative jucies flowing for it but :(
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

stencils are pretty :)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i work with the dude that organised the umbrella street art thing

http://www.umbrellastreetart.com/
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

I'll definitely checking this out. Went to this last year and it was very interesting. Only exhibition opening I've been to where you could smoke while walking around checking the work. Hip Hop all night and a bar.

As for stencil art being "easy", it's the ideas, thoughts and even emotions conveyed by the images which is the important part IMO.

Although DBoy's example shows how amazing it can be on the technical side.
Last edited by quiet roar on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Sweet! I reckon I might go buy me a stenciled peice at the auction!

Anyone know around how much a decent size one goes for at this typa thing? Last year? Be quite a bit right?
Don't hate me for house
lynt

Post by lynt »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:right on.

i used to spend hours and fucking hours cutting. oh man, so long. so long i would lose all feeling in my fingers.

but the results are worth it.

I hear ya. My DVD collection shot through the roof during my cutting sessions... now I play computers.
ruby

Post by ruby »

jbs wrote:Sweet! I reckon I might go buy me a stenciled peice at the auction!

Anyone know around how much a decent size one goes for at this typa thing? Last year? Be quite a bit right?
At the local exhibs I've been to the prices have been anywhere from $50 to $2000. But I'm guessing an auction should push prices up, esp since its for charity. If you're serious I'd say $600 should be a good starting point as most things under that are um well.... chunks of termite infested wood with some cats name scrawled across it with a crayon and then highlighted with a piece of crap Mr. T stencil or something :P

(Or you could forget the plus' of buying local art at a charity thing and look up Neck cns or Daim and spend $1500 on something that will completly and utterly blow your mind)
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Will definitely be checking this out - love it!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
ukime

Post by ukime »

ruby wrote:chunks of termite infested wood with some cats name scrawled across it with a crayon and then highlighted with a piece of crap Mr. T stencil or something :P
:lol:

Time to start saving up then I guess. So who on MB is going to have stuff on display/for sale there so I can have a closer look? :wink:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

quiet roar wrote:I'll definitely checking this out. Went to this last year and it was very interesting. Only exhibition opening I've been to where you could smoke while walking around checking the work. Hip Hop all night and a bar.

As for stencil art being "easy", it's the ideas, thoughts and even emotions conveyed by the images which is the important part IMO.

Although DBoy's example shows how amazing it can be on the technical side.
I agree whole heartedly....
Take DJing, cueing up a record and syncing it up with another and fading it in is fucking easy as fuck!!!!! Then there's james Zabiela.... know what I'm saying?
Hekuma

Post by Hekuma »

Anyone know if the opening night is open to all?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

It was last year and I would imagine it will be this year as well. I'm planning on going anyway.

My wife was telling me that yesterday there was an interview with one of the organisers on RRR, and they were saying that they got into some trouble last year (I think there weren't any permits etc.) but then also got approached by the council to put it on officially this year.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

just rock up dude, we have a handfull of invites but there are a heap of us
Hekuma

Post by Hekuma »

I've got an invite, and thus assumed it would be invite only, but there was little chance I'd be going on my lonesome...

meh, we'll turn up anyway!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

it better not be invite only or I'll be pissed

gonna be there around 7
nicnac

Post by nicnac »

im planning on heading down..yeah i hope it's not invite only...

I've been counting on it all day long!!

maybe see some of you gus there?