I wanna ask the smart music people.....

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lil MiSbreaks

I wanna ask the smart music people.....

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Im getting confused with file types, ipod file types as opposed to iriver types, yada yada.

So Im asking for some help. I think i worked out that an itunes uses an ACC file?? (Gawd) But what file type works on an iriver?

The 'crux' of my problem is I have an iriver and a mac computer. I think i should be able to downnload a program to change the file type so that I can use it.... just dunno what to do from there :?

When your ready, help please!!!

Fanx :wink:
mecka

Post by mecka »

iTunes converts files into AAC format - its the Apple Lossless codec, and it takes up HEAPS of room.

You can convert the files to mp3 within iTunes itself, just select the files you want, right click (or option click) and then select "convert to mp3".

edit: I also think that it keeps copies of the original AAC files as well so u'll probably want to delete those.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

quick correction with the nerd hat on:
mecka wrote:iTunes converts files into AAC format - it uses the Apple Lossless codec, and it takes up HEAPS of room.
Apple Lossless Codec (aka ALAC) is the default music storage format for iTunes. it's not the same thing as Advanced Audio Coding (aka AAC) at all.

(ALAC files will end in '.m4a'. AAC files will end in '.aac'. Apple developed ALAC, the MPEG team developed AAC as part of MPEG-2.)

BTW, the program lets you use a range of formats (WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, etc). just change the encoding type in the preferences (Advanced -> Importing) to MP3.
mecka wrote:You can convert the files to mp3 within iTunes itself, just select the files you want, right click (or control click) and then select "convert to mp3".
that option's also under the "Advanced" menu.
mecka wrote:edit: I also think that it keeps copies of the original AAC files as well so u'll probably want to delete those.
sure does, be careful of which file you delete at the end.

:thumbup:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Cheers fellas .... im not getting the convert option on advanced tho, just an option to convert to ACC.

Although now im trying to actually get the computer to actually recognise the iriver... so far no love. :x
mecka

Post by mecka »

system wrote:Apple Lossless Codec (aka ALAC) is the default music storage format for iTunes. it's not the same thing as Advanced Audio Coding (aka AAC) at all.

(ALAC files will end in '.m4a'. AAC files will end in '.aac'. Apple developed ALAC, the MPEG team developed AAC as part of MPEG-2.)
Blah... u are 100% right system.
bobinabottle

Post by bobinabottle »

sorry to add more confusion, but aac files encoded from itunes will also end in .m4a (its in an mpeg4 wrapper or something)

if you buy tracks itunes they will be .m4p (for protected) and you wont be able to convert those into another format unless you burn it to an audio cd and rip it back

anyway, stick with mp3. itunes will convert cd audio to mp3 for you
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ain't no thing Ollie. :)

good pick up bobinabottle. :oops:
Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Cheers fellas .... im not getting the convert option on advanced tho, just an option to convert to ACC.

Although now im trying to actually get the computer to actually recognise the iriver... so far no love. :x
no worries at all. :D

the 'Convert To' option will use whatever you've set as your default encoding preference. if you change that to MP3, you'll see the conversion method change (under the 'Advanced' menu again).

the iRiver should mount as a USB drive though. might be worth grabbing the latest version of the Music Manager and installing it again.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I set my iTunes to upload all files as mp3 and then burn as audio files. Makes life very easy and works best with the cdj's. I've had a few peeps plug their iRiver into my Mac and all has been fine (through USB). Open your music folder through Finder and then it's a simple drag and drop proposition.

:D
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

this is why I destest iTunes and apple. It is like they are trying to do to music what mircosoft has done with software. Ok, bad comparrison, but you get the drift.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

I disagree, DBoy.

in my experience, the majority of computer users have huge problems going through the process of transferring files etc between their various devices and their computer. they generally also don't label files well and have them scattered all over the place.

iTunes makes it easier for general computer users - not only in moving files, but in naming them. the interaction between iTunes and Gracenote's DB for album names and the autofeed option for ripping CDs alone makes it worthwhile. iTunes is crippled in a few areas, like in the one way transfer only area between it and an iPod, due to agreements between Apple and the RIAA.

I think Apple did a good job, especially for a free product. :)

the ITMS, on the other hand, I loathe with a passion. :|
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I'm listening...
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

to music? good man. :)
gnat

Post by gnat »

:geeks:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

you laoth ITMS because of they are limiting what they are offering? because it is just a new form of pop consumerism? why?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DBoy wrote:you laoth ITMS because of they are limiting what they are offering? because it is just a new form of pop consumerism? why?
ah, sorry.

yeah, the DRM used by Apple in the iTMS is against my principles. if you buy something, in this case music, you should be able to use it anywhere and with anything you want. the limited range of music offered gets a bit silly as well, but that comes down to Apple's relationship with the various record labels.

I get annoyed by the interface of the iTMS the most though - you can't search by record label!

rant over. geek hat off. thanks for listening.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

music goes on my computer, music transfers to my iPod.

I see no problem here
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mecka

Post by mecka »

breaksRbest wrote:music goes on my computer, music transfers to my iPod.

I see no problem here
:scr1pt:
bobinabottle

Post by bobinabottle »

I've never used iTunes on windows, only on my mac and tbh I've never been able to work out why people have problems with it. I honestly think it is the best mp3 program i have ever used. it lets you completely turn off the music store so you are not bombarded by ads or anything.

maybe its just me, but sorting by metadata such as track title and artist etc seems much more natural and understandable than sorting by filenames.

as for systems arguments about the itms, i kind of agree with you about the drm. i've always wondered when the record companies are going to realise you can get a better product (no drm, higher bitrates) for free by pirating, when you can pay to get a lower rate product. seems a bit silly to me.

that said, i find the itms really convenient. alot of music i like i cant find in cd shops, and with the itms you get it straight away and easily rather than going to the shops. i've only bought a few albums and generally prefer getting the cd and ripping it myself.

also, i have a car cd/mp3 player that wont play the aac files on itms so i am reluctant to buy tracks off it