Derrick May (comments about Melbs)

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

breaksRbest wrote:I kind of see your point about lots of little parties, but then to use the Kenny Larkin party as an example of the opposite is waaay wrong IMO. There was no working together with other crews, it was a Soma Corp party and held in a venue with a capacity of 300. I'd call that small.
the other thing is kenny larkin is an absolute legend. no surprise he packed out a gig.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
nic

Post by nic »

*cough* 33 & 1/3 *cough*

Just coz they let dnb acts play doesn't make it any less a Breaks party.
opps yes, i had quiet teh best little time at BLIM... :oops: (its friday)
dust

Post by dust »

sneaky hands wrote:
breaksRbest wrote: Speaking of which, when was the last time a major DNB night had a Breaks room? I can't think of a single one.
not trying to start a debate about which is intrinsically better, but it seems that generally, while breaks fans can tolerate dnb, dnb heads cant stand breaks.
I love breaks. But yeah, I think generally this statement has validity. Lots of d'n'b heads are 'purists'. Whatever the hell that means.

And as for d'n'b parties not having breaks rooms, i think this might change in the future. Its no longer finacially viable to have exclusively d'n'b nights.
deviant

Post by deviant »

breaksRbest wrote:
nic wrote:Where are the breaks parties on the same scale and level of interest as calyx, pendulum etc ?

The ones everyone loves that are rammed.

I cant remember the last 'big' breaks party I went to like that.
*cough* 33 & 1/3 *cough*

Speaking of which, when was the last time a major DNB night had a Breaks room? I can't think of a single one.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
breaksRbest wrote:
Miss Bee wrote:Half the problem (IMO) is there is far to many little nights competing over the same small pool of people that have always gone out, rather than people working together to put on something mid sized and decent and attract a new crowd.

Kenny Larkin last week was a prime example of a party that was excellently promoted, support line up was excellent (with a variety of DJs from different genres and different social circles) and playpen was RAMMED with punters.

I kind of see your point about lots of little parties, but then to use the Kenny Larkin party as an example of the opposite is waaay wrong IMO. There was no working together with other crews, it was a Soma Corp party and held in a venue with a capacity of 300. I'd call that small.

[/i]
True. Mind you Miss Bee raises a valid point about collaboration.... even if the example wasn't totally right.

:thinkingcapon:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

dust wrote:
sneaky hands wrote:
breaksRbest wrote: Speaking of which, when was the last time a major DNB night had a Breaks room? I can't think of a single one.
not trying to start a debate about which is intrinsically better, but it seems that generally, while breaks fans can tolerate dnb, dnb heads cant stand breaks.
I love breaks. But yeah, I think generally this statement has validity. Lots of d'n'b heads are 'purists'. Whatever the hell that means.

And as for d'n'b parties not having breaks rooms, i think this might change in the future. Its no longer finacially viable to have exclusively d'n'b nights.

as long as there is two rooms it works. one room with both genres doesn't work at all imo and observations.
argument

Post by argument »

jbs wrote:That is probably the best electronic music interview I have ever read.
no it isn't!!!
An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

marcus wrote:
Miss Bee wrote:
Half the problem (IMO) is there is far to many little nights competing over the same small pool of people that have always gone out, rather than people working together to put on something mid sized and decent and attract a new crowd.
Melbourne is blessed with talents DJ's. A number of my mates are wicked DJ's who don't usually play out. How are they all supposed to get a gig? The little nights provide a perfect outlet for those to get out and strut their stuff, learn the trade, and be available for those bigger events. It also provides healthy competition amongst all DJ's which will help them to improve their skills. So I don't think there being too many little nights causes too much of a problem. Granted, those small events on the same night as another event will cause a problem, but that can be worked out with promoters carefully choosing when they have their event and the lineup they choose.
Yeah, I agree with that as well. Small nights most definatley have their place, and full kudos to the people that have started them and then gone on to make them become really successful. There is just a heap of smaller sized nights around (in all different genres) that think promotion is about putting a thread on an internet forum and maybe an add in beat. Thats it. Then wonder why no one is showing up to their events. Different promoters of these smaller events dont talk to each other, so sometimes events clash. Again = no people going to your gig.

I am generalising a bit here, there are plenty of smart cookies in the scene that know the benefits of working together. But would be nice to see more of it. Maybe more events where promoters from different genres and social circles work together.

Another example of how networking and working together can work - Recent gig at Pappa @ F4 on anzac day eve. That was three crews working together - Private Function, Darkbeat, Inprogress. Place was packed and there was a real mix in the crowd.

Should be interesting to see how Luke Fair goes on Jun 3rd - cause thats another gig put together with a collection of smaller crews. (It is also however up against Zabielia @ Sunny... :? so who knows!)

/end rant
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

sneaky hands wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:I kind of see your point about lots of little parties, but then to use the Kenny Larkin party as an example of the opposite is waaay wrong IMO. There was no working together with other crews, it was a Soma Corp party and held in a venue with a capacity of 300. I'd call that small.
the other thing is kenny larkin is an absolute legend. no surprise he packed out a gig.
Fair point, and it prob was the wrong example. See post above for some more - they are all prog focused though. Would be nice to see more collaboration from a lot of different crews from different social circles and see if it would work?
marcus

Post by marcus »

Miss Bee wrote: Would be nice to see more collaboration from a lot of different crews from different social circles and see if it would work?
Probably didn't give enough credit to this point before. Yeah it would be great to organise some parties with other parties that would promote whatever type of music you are playing. I think Lizkins point re different rooms are a good one. There is only so far you can go having different genres of music being played in a room - you really need a venue with two rooms to enable a party like that. I've heard of a few collaborations where this may be happening in the future, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
lynt

Post by lynt »

I'm glad I went outside today. I bought a new lense for my camera.

:)

Blackcat anyone? :jager & play records:
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

sneaky hands wrote:
Micky Finn - Nov ?? had Kraak n Smaak
Andy C - Jan 28th had Kid Kenobi

I think the Melbourne "Scene" is dope! Its really healthy and currently it is in a state of development that will see it in the future become a diverse music culture that will be relevant on a worldwide scale.

Its great that people care as much as this about their music culture

I'm not being sarcastic and that is all I'm going to say.
Last edited by ShiKung on Tue May 30, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

lynt wrote:I'm glad I went outside today. I bought a new lense for my camera.

:)

Blackcat anyone? :jager & play records:
:scr1pt:

8)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Citizen Smif wrote: gotta admit its the first time ive enjoyed a breaks set.
whatever type of breaks karl plays is dope.
Fents wrote: I actually caught Honzo at Bunker last sat night. Was playing the best breaks i've ever heard. Deep Deep basslines n shit, was wicked.
The times, they are a changing.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

ShiKung wrote:Micky Finn - Nov ?? had Kraak n Smaak
don't foget dopmine on that one!!!! it was December too I believe :)
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

Detroit never had the bickering, my ass....

thats what happened with saunderson over demf, and craig and may...

but i do agree about the vast wasteland of music, its very true.

its the difference between electronic music you can dance to and dance music
nickdivision

Post by nickdivision »

dust wrote:
I love breaks. But yeah, I think generally this statement has validity. Lots of d'n'b heads are 'purists'.
dnb purists are the same as the techno nazis - the ones that used to be all "if it isn't from detroit it's shit". better to hear as many different sounds as possible, as opposed to many slight variations of the same theme.
dust wrote:
that'd be good for a change, the more flavours the better.....
the house is riddled with whiteants and the lane is covered in chicken shit..........
KAmis

Post by KAmis »

Shepherd, I have a story for you.

Once upon a time there was a kind old man called Arthur. He lived in the woods and his little wooden cabin was nestled next to a creek with tall weaping willows surrounding the banks. He was a jolly fellow, always singing to himself and laughing as he wandered thru the woods. Occasionaly he would find a rabbit in trouble with it's foot caught in the branch, or a baby foe who had lost its mum. He would always help them out and all the animals in the woods loved him for it. One day while out on a stroll he heard a loud crack and a terrible scream come from just over the hill. He hurried as fast as his little legs could carry him to see what had happened. Upon reaching the crest he let out a gasp of suprise and terror as his eyes lay upon what was before him. There, standing not far from him, was the most terrible and loathsome.......

There, you've wasted a portion of my time reading your insightful words, and I just wasted some of yours in return.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

KAmis wrote:Shepherd, I have a story for you.

Once upon a time there was a kind old man called Arthur. He lived in the woods and his little wooden cabin was nestled next to a creek with tall weaping willows surrounding the banks. He was a jolly fellow, always singing to himself and laughing as he wandered thru the woods. Occasionaly he would find a rabbit in trouble with it's foot caught in the branch, or a baby foe who had lost its mum. He would always help them out and all the animals in the woods loved him for it. One day while out on a stroll he heard a loud crack and a terrible scream come from just over the hill. He hurried as fast as his little legs could carry him to see what had happened. Upon reaching the crest he let out a gasp of suprise and terror as his eyes lay upon what was before him. There, standing not far from him, was the most terrible and loathsome.......

There, you've wasted a portion of my time reading your insightful words, and I just wasted some of yours in return.
Kamis (let me address you in bold to raise attention to my witty retort),

Awesome dude, well done. That said, I enjoyed the story so I don't consider it wasted time.

Work on the execution next time hey ;)
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

i'm sorry, but the remarks about dnb heads being elitist, purist and discouraging to other genres is not only divisive and counter-productive, but steaming, steaming horse shit.

(didn't want to post but no one else has said it, don't want to argue, not gonna read. ez)
flippo

Post by flippo »

Citizen Smif wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:
nic wrote:Where are the breaks parties on the same scale and level of interest as calyx, pendulum etc ?

The ones everyone loves that are rammed.

I cant remember the last 'big' breaks party I went to like that.
*cough* 33 & 1/3 *cough*
let haha what. combined party.
your making it sound like a breaks superiority party :)
haha, now now Steve, I thought it was very sweet how the breaks mafia let 33 1/3rd have Andy C play. Was a very humbleing and charitable gesture. :teef:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

valuetime wrote:i'm sorry, but the remarks about dnb heads being elitist, purist and discouraging to other genres is not only divisive and counter-productive, but steaming, steaming horse shit.

(didn't want to post but no one else has said it, don't want to argue, not gonna read. ez)

Well said Dave, i couldn't word it right without wanting to rip through a few breaks people for their pathetic attitude. damn see, i can't hold back my temper on it.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Lizkins wrote:
valuetime wrote:i'm sorry, but the remarks about dnb heads being elitist, purist and discouraging to other genres is not only divisive and counter-productive, but steaming, steaming horse shit.

Well said Dave, i couldn't word it right without wanting to rip through a few breaks people for their pathetic attitude. damn see, i can't hold back my temper on it.
I think it's perfectly true. I used to be like that, all of my drum and bass friends used to be like that.

Not to say everyone who likes Drum and Bass dislikes breaks. But amongst punters that feeling definately exists. Not as much in Melbourne as elsewhere I've been - but it's still there.

Not to say it doesn't exist in breaks at all the other way round either though.
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

Direktor wrote:You don't wanna dickride him?

Why not?
yeah, i mean, hes black and prob packing it large :wink:
almax

Post by almax »

breaksRbest wrote: [
Speaking of which, when was the last time a major DNB night had a Breaks room? I can't think of a single one.

NYE Teebee at the Hi Fi, upstairs was playing breaks
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

jbs wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

I think it's perfectly true. I used to be like that, all of my drum and bass friends used to be like that.

Not to say everyone who likes Drum and Bass dislikes breaks. But amongst punters that feeling definately exists. Not as much in Melbourne as elsewhere I've been - but it's still there.

yeah i know jbs, i am just tired of breaks people saying such things as:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are purists (though this one was true for some, but the only people i knew who were like that was Will and Quick, and both have changed heaps over the years in relation to music)
- that we are whinges.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Lizkins wrote: yeah i know jbs, i am just tired of breaks people saying such things as:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are purists (though this one was true for some, but the only people i knew who were like that was Will and Quick, and both have changed heaps over the years in relation to music)
- that we are whinges.
First one pisses me off too.

Second one for sure, but I'm willing to bet you knew / know a lot more if you think about it. I know I do. Although times are changing.

Third one I don't think you can attribute to the breaks community. Individual people might say that. And those individual people are idiots. You can't pin it on a type of music.
Don't hate me for house
flippo

Post by flippo »

music pwnz 8)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

jbs wrote:
Lizkins wrote: yeah i know jbs, i am just tired of breaks people saying such things as:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.

Second one for sure, but I'm willing to bet you knew / know a lot more if you think about it. I know I do. Although times are changing.

Third one I don't think you can attribute to the breaks community. Individual people might say that. And those individual people are idiots. You can't pin it on a type of music.
second one, yeah maybe, but i honestly cannot think of anyone at the moment who fits the bill.

true regarding the third one, good point made jbs 8) :D
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

almax wrote:
Direktor wrote:You don't wanna dickride him?

Why not?
yeah, i mean, hes black and prob packing it large :wink:
lol. Derrick May PhD
flippo

Post by flippo »

Lizkins wrote:
jbs wrote:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.

second one, yeah maybe, but i honestly cannot think of anyone at the moment who fits the bill.

true regarding the third one, good point made jbs 8) :D
interesting, id like to add

fourth one, don't go there girlfreind

fifth one, oh snap!

pemth one, beefy
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

i miss melbourne
it is a good place

there is so much good music
there are so many good people

not all the people are the same
not all the people think the same things
not all the people express the things they think the same way

not all the people like the same music
not all the music is the same

i miss melbourne
it is a good place
deviant

Post by deviant »

Lizkins wrote:yeah i know jbs, i am just tired of breaks people saying such things as:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.
wasn't it only BRB who said the first thing once?

you have admitted to the second point being true within the brackets

aren't you whinging now?

:teef:
flippo

Post by flippo »

deviant wrote:
aren't you whinging now?

hahaha. snap!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

deviant wrote:
Lizkins wrote:yeah i know jbs, i am just tired of breaks people saying such things as:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.
wasn't it only BRB who said the first thing once?

you have admitted to the second point being true within the brackets

aren't you whinging now?

yes

not really, two people constitute the statement being correct? Gees you would generalise a lot if you thought that Deviant.

i didn't feel like i was whinging, in fact i felt anger at the time when i posted that, it felt more of a statement really.
deviant

Post by deviant »

just bacause you were angry doesn't mean that you weren't whinging.

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

deviant wrote:just bacause you were angry doesn't mean that you weren't whinging.

i'm so gonna kick you when i see you next :P :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

mwahahahahahaha good luck!! ;)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

thanks! :smt023

[insert kicking emoticon: kick kick kick]
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Gotta agree with JBS, as a stereotype and generalistation a lot of d'n'b heads take the 'my music's better than your music' type of vibe. (Call it passion, or whatever you like...)
Now if you're taking offence to this - perhaps it's a little too close to home for you. Because this is just a broad, sweeping generalisation and may not apply specifically to you - or the horse you rode in on :lol: -- in fact, I hope it doesn't. Pls bear in mind that d'n'b is definately my preferred of the two, but I love them both.

I think big fuck-off broken-beat combo parties are a fantastic idea. 33 1/3 and MBU (don't forget Kombat Beats) were prime examples of this. Imagine a party with different crews, representing different styles running different rooms. More bang for your buck - fantastic!

PS: drum'n'bass is better :wink:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lizkins wrote:
jbs wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.

jeebus farken christ, and ya reckon I can't take a joke :roll:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

breaksRbest wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
jbs wrote: I think it's perfectly true. I used to be like that, all of my drum and bass friends used to be like that.

- 33 1/3 let dnb in
- that we are whinges.

jeebus farken christ, and ya reckon I can't take a joke :roll:
that was a joke? :? didn't seem funny. nor your "drama and bass" comments you have made on the MBU thread. If you are joking, no sweat matey, but it just doesn't seem like you are.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I wish I'd invented 'Drama & Bass' :lol:

but that honour goes to Shepherd.

btw - when did you read the MBU thread?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Happy times, happy times
Strawberries and limes -
Rhyme with happy times!
deviant

Post by deviant »

"Drama and Bass" is a pisser, I'm sorry, it just is :lol:

I like the fact that you are creating a "drama" over "Drama and Bass" :lol:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

breaksRbest wrote:I wish I'd invented 'Drama & Bass' :lol:

after the event of course. was interesting to see the discussion about the name, and whether to change it or not.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

deviant wrote:"Drama and Bass" is a pisser, I'm sorry, it just is :lol:

I like the fact that you are creating a "drama" over "Drama and Bass" :lol:

kick kick kick
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

drama&bass is the bestest!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lizkins wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:I wish I'd invented 'Drama & Bass' :lol:

after the event of course. was interesting to see the discussion about the name, and whether to change it or not.
:roll:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

:bs:
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

what a wank :roll: