Places to check out :: Europe ??

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Anyone been to Portugal? I'd rather avoid the party life of Spain and find a nice lil' beach with nice food etc to chill at for a while?
LukeMcD

Post by LukeMcD »

Here is one they dont promote much.

Mar Bella beach in Barcelona Sundays from about 4pm till about 1am.

I played there last month and it was insane.

After party at a warehouse somewhere if they are still getting away with it.

Go ask for Caine from Bionikworld. He is an Aussie living there and playing most Sundays on the beach.

Loft rocks as mentioned, also try Moog and Macarena for the micro club experience.

Barcelona rules but you better like Minimal.

Enjoy.
You're the kind of person who reads things !

www.smashbangrecords.com
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

oh yeah, don't forget to check out helsinki as well. it's bangin.

:cough:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

fooishbar wrote:oh yeah, don't forget to check out helsinki as well. it's bangin.

:smt044
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Thanks All!! :D

Knew this thread would be a good idea.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
lynt

Post by lynt »

fooishbar wrote:oh yeah, don't forget to check out helsinki as well. it's bangin.

I heard you have 101 different names for snow, Dan. :teef:
gnat

Post by gnat »

Cubist wrote:Anyone been to Portugal? I'd rather avoid the party life of Spain and find a nice lil' beach with nice food etc to chill at for a while?

Lagos is the shizz I hear

LOL at foo. You're Finn-ished :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Cubist wrote:Anyone been to Portugal? I'd rather avoid the party life of Spain and find a nice lil' beach with nice food etc to chill at for a while?
Portugal is amazing. Spent two weeks driving through there in a combi.

More chilled than Spain. Really diverse country. People are beautiful. food is increadible.. and the beaches....amazing!

Here's some of my Portugal pic's

1st C Roman ruins - Evora

Medieval streets - Evora

Church made of human bones - Evora

Guicho Beach - Lisbon

Medieval Castle ruins - Sintra

Someone with $$ - Sintra
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

looks amazing Fi! def going to hit Portugal on the next trip.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

surf! :smt118 yay for surf! god i hope i get a chance to surf while o/s, twud be way radical dudes
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Lizkins wrote:surf! :smt118 yay for surf! god i hope i get a chance to surf while o/s, twud be way radical dudes
Amazing surf in Portugal Liz...

Oh.. another reason why i like Spain... mojito!

Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Thanks Stovie. Portugal it is for me. 8)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lynt wrote:

yep, and 101 different ways to say FUCK OFF SUN IT'S 2AM HAVE SOME COMMON DECENCY. :D
AJ

Post by AJ »

London - there's a great vodka bar just near the Holborn tube station that has about 100 flavoured types. Mmm, turkish delight! Tate Modern is def. worth it, as is the great court of the british musuem.

Venice - get off the main thoroughfares and you'll see the real city. plenty of little bars/clubs/trattorias worth checking out and tourists miss.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

AJ wrote:London - there's a great vodka bar just near the Holborn tube station that has about 100 flavoured types. Mmm, turkish delight!
yep, think it's called revolution? their watermelon vodka is brilliant, as is the time-honoured ginger with apple juice.

mmmm.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Rob M wrote:check out the church of dead in Prague, made out of skeletal remains and bones etc. i've seen pics from mates its wicked!

Bratislava (my hometown) is awesome too. the clock museum, danube river and radio slovak building (upside down pyramid) :)
Bone Church is in Kutna Hora bout an hour south east of Prague.
The best place outside of Prague is Ceske Krumlov. Bout 3 hours south of Prague.

Then there is Croatia. Get down to the Dalmatian Coast and let it all hang out. Dubrovnik is really something else.
Amick

Post by Amick »

listen to elysium, Baltic states are rad...

Especially Lithuania...best country ever....NOT BIASED! :lol:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

elysium wrote:If you are going to Latvia anyway I would definitely recommend a stop in Tallin, Estonia and on the coast in Klaipeda, Lithuania. Everything was so cheap (may have changed now Estonia is on the Euro) and I had an awesome time in both places.
by the way, estonia still uses the estonia kroner, not the euro. exchange rate is 1:15 for the euro, so about 1:10 for australian dollars, I guess.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Chops wrote:
Rob M wrote:check out the church of dead in Prague, made out of skeletal remains and bones etc. i've seen pics from mates its wicked!

Bratislava (my hometown) is awesome too. the clock museum, danube river and radio slovak building (upside down pyramid) :)
Bone Church is in Kutna Hora bout an hour south east of Prague.
The best place outside of Prague is Ceske Krumlov. Bout 3 hours south of Prague.
word. I posted pics of the church above.
Ceske Krumlov was like my saviour. We got there and spent 3 nights just chillin in the village drinking really cheap wine and eating large shanks of meat.
elysium

Post by elysium »

DBoy wrote: Ceske Krumlov was like my saviour. We got there and spent 3 nights just chillin in the village drinking really cheap wine and eating large shanks of meat.
How good is it!! We found this little hole in the wall place by following our noses that did the most amazing steaks over an open smokey fire. We went there pretty much every night. Mmmm mmm. I certainly was not iron deficient by the time I left.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

croatia, specifically the dalmatian coast.

I'll post photos once I get organised. anyone know which site is a good host?
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
elysium

Post by elysium »

fooishbar wrote:
elysium wrote:If you are going to Latvia anyway I would definitely recommend a stop in Tallin, Estonia and on the coast in Klaipeda, Lithuania. Everything was so cheap (may have changed now Estonia is on the Euro) and I had an awesome time in both places.
by the way, estonia still uses the estonia kroner, not the euro. exchange rate is 1:15 for the euro, so about 1:10 for australian dollars, I guess.
really?!! WICKED!! It was such a treat to go there last time... so beautiful, but so cheap. I heard it had gone on the Euro and was bummed becasue of the inevitable inflation. This is excellent news :D
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

elysium wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
really?!! WICKED!! It was such a treat to go there last time... so beautiful, but so cheap. I heard it had gone on the Euro and was bummed becasue of the inevitable inflation. This is excellent news :D
heh, god no, their entire tourism industry would collapse.

dad and I had the most incredible meal overlooking the knight and cross, right at the top of the old town. fantastic food, and the bill for the two of us (entree, main, dessert, drinks) came to just under €20. :shock:
elysium

Post by elysium »

Nice one foo! I definitely want to go back there if I move to London next year. I only got to see Tallinn, but I hear that town on the coast and also that university town in central Estonia are also worth a visit :D
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

elysium wrote:Nice one foo! I definitely want to go back there if I move to London next year. I only got to see Tallinn, but I hear that town on the coast and also that university town in central Estonia are also worth a visit :D
definitely. take a month off in summer and do the whole baltic thing. i'm planning to take a large whack of time off (really large) and see as much of eastern europe as possible, including properly seeing all the baltic states.
elysium

Post by elysium »

sounds wicked foo :smt023
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

breaksRbest wrote:www.photobucket.com
thanks chief!

komiza, vis

palmizana. (the photo doesn't do the water colour justice)
Image[/img]

sibenik. I love this town!

It's still relatively cheap and the warmer weather usually holds out through september, often october too.
Last edited by quiet roar on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

:shock: that water is beautiful!!!!!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

nice Rob. love the 1st shot.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

I hear there's great hostels in Slovakia :teef:
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

The view from a friends balcony. Vis, vis.

Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I'm hanging to go to Croatia. Your pics are further inspiration QR (and welcome home BTW!!) :D

Instanbul has jumped onto my travel list now too. Must get to Europe :D
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
numz

Post by numz »

I'm currently in Budva, Montenegro now... south of Serbia. Its great to be near the fucking beach. Eurogash galore everywhere, sometimes a little like Halfmoon bay but on a grand scale and a better backdrop. There's also Kotor nearby, which has an old fortress atop a ridge looking down onto a fjord -southern europe's deepest apparently.

Budapest was crazy. There's so much to do there (helps if you know a local). There's a breaks and drum and bass scene happening too. Mellogs - my mates coincindentally know the Fine Cut Bodies bunch.. small world as they say. Parties often happening on one of the 2 islands on the Danube. I head back up there in a few weeks to see Prodigy at the Sziget festival.

Warsaw is probably not worth it, my opinion... and it was also hell cheaper to fly into Krakow, which was nice, but didn't float my boat for too long. Auschwitz and Berkenau was a good short trip from there. Quite interesting... you know the story. Zakopane and the Tatras mountains on the Polish-Slovak border was awesome. Great if your into a little intermediate hiking and climbing.

Slovakia was boring, never even wanted to go to stag city Bratislava...my opinion. Spent time in a town in the sticks called Levoca. That was quaint. They had a great castle in ruins to check out, though I've seen enough castles by now.

Tomorrow I jet off to Dubrovnik, Croatia. Much of the old town is made of marble. The beaches are awesome and I'm just glad to spend time on the beach for a while. Its sweltering hot right now.

From there we hit Sarajevo, which I hear is quite nice albeit the shit thats gone down previously. Then back up to Budapest before heading back to the northern coast of Croatia and the islands. A short trip to Llubjana, Slovenia to check out Lake Bled then back to London...

I'm feelin eastern europe. Maybe cos it more affordable... 40 eurocents for a pint size bottle of Pivo is great! But the peeps are quite friendy and don't hold that grouch rep some may assume... Last night we found a festival on the beach here in Budva which went off. Paying for it now. Yeh, its cool here.

anyway peeps, might try post some photos when I'm settled... must pack for the 6am bus.

SQ - that you, jaq and trey in Barca?

hope you're all well.
huh
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

[quote="numz"]SQ - that you, jaq and trey in Barca?[quote]

:smt006 Si :wink:
menace

Post by menace »

nice photos stovequeen

luke let me know then u are u uk .. we will drink
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

stovequeen wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:edit: and you also MUST see the Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres. too fucking cool 8)
:scr1pt: know someone who's going there tomorrow :wink:
I hope he takes flicks of the broken eggs on the outside walls! It's an amazing place, aside from the artwork.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lynt wrote:

That's for yellow snow. :teef:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Yep, defo got to get to croatia (next trip).

Numz, Looks like u having a ball. chuck some photos up when u can.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

numz wrote: Tomorrow I jet off to Dubrovnik, Croatia. Much of the old town is made of marble. The beaches are awesome and I'm just glad to spend time on the beach for a while. Its sweltering hot right now
Dubrovnik is the most expensive place in Croatia, chief. You might be better off hanging somewhere nearby (plenty of beautiful places: mljet, korcula, for example) for beach action and pop over to check the town as you like. just my two cents.

Either way, enjoy!!!
lynt

Post by lynt »

system wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:edit: and you also MUST see the Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres. too fucking cool 8)
:scr1pt: know someone who's going there tomorrow :wink:
I hope he takes flicks of the broken eggs on the outside walls! It's an amazing place, aside from the artwork.

8)
numz

Post by numz »

quiet roar wrote:Dubrovnik is the most expensive place in Croatia, chief. You might be better off hanging somewhere nearby (plenty of beautiful places: mljet, korcula, for example) for beach action and pop over to check the town as you like. just my two cents.

Either way, enjoy!!!
we go to mljet tomorrow... it is pricey here, but relative anyway... and compared to London...
On saturday we ate next to Ian Pooley, then saw him play at the amphitheatre of this derelict hotel on the beach. Im ready to sit on an island for a bit though.
8)
huh
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

elysium wrote:
DBoy wrote: Ceske Krumlov was like my saviour. We got there and spent 3 nights just chillin in the village drinking really cheap wine and eating large shanks of meat.
How good is it!! We found this little hole in the wall place by following our noses that did the most amazing steaks over an open smokey fire. We went there pretty much every night. Mmmm mmm. I certainly was not iron deficient by the time I left.
sweet.

im there right now! :)

shame about drizzle keeping me off the river!!

Lukey - youre gonna have a ball wherever you go. just in my last week of euro-tour so still collecting my thoughts... Would stronlgy advise searching overseas sites and forüms and finding music festivals close to your destinations. August is about to explode but should be lots on in september too. Line-ups all drool-worthy and has forced me to rekindle old techno flames which youll agree is never a bad thing! :wink:

Ive been to many and still hard to leave so many great acts behind! Have found lots of cool clubs, will write more soon - or PM if anything specific you after.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

dengelman wrote: Lukey - youre gonna have a ball wherever you go. just in my last week of euro-tour so still collecting my thoughts... Would stronlgy advise searching overseas sites and forüms and finding music festivals close to your destinations. August is about to explode but should be lots on in september too. Line-ups all drool-worthy and has forced me to rekindle old techno flames which youll agree is never a bad thing! :wink:

Ive been to many and still hard to leave so many great acts behind! Have found lots of cool clubs, will write more soon - or PM if anything specific you after.
Nice one. Thanks man. :D

Yep post anything you recommend up.

Will look into forums etc tonight..
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Alright people.

Clubs in London?

Where's good ? What nights ?

:D :D :D
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stovequeen wrote: Image
Church made of human bones - Evora
Love that pic Fi and the rest of the ones from your travels.

Particularly impressed with all your Gaudi photo's and of course the 'Church made of human bones' - eerie!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

speaking of Gaudi, I just got a bunch of photos from Quinn & Neets. They got to go inside Casa Battlo (so jealous)

here's a photo of the front of Casa Battlo with some random chick standing in front...

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quinna ... FB7nYjTqKe
gnat

Post by gnat »

breaksRbest wrote:here's a photo of the front of Casa Battlo with some random chick standing in front...
Heh heh careful :P

They posted that in that Reprazent thread too

Shonks currently in Lisbon and heading to Morocco in a few days
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

breaksRbest wrote:speaking of Gaudi, I just got a bunch of photos from Quinn & Neets. They got to go inside Casa Battlo (so jealous)

here's a photo of the front of Casa Battlo with some random chick standing in front...

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quinna ... FB7nYjTqKe
dude, that's isla fisher!!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

hahahahaha, if you squint a bit you can see Sascha in the b/ground