Craze and Zinc photos

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
bassfreak

Craze and Zinc photos

Post by bassfreak »

Kiaora all.
Here is a link to my photos of the evening.
Looking to get out with my camera more often and get a bit more coverage of the the broken beat scene.
Let me know what ya think of the pics. Any feedback much appreciated!
Maybe we should try and get that gallery section on melbournebeats up and running....

Link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47517054@N ... 339256049/
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

love your pics! the elementz gallery should be up n running soon with pictures from most events from the last few years. also please feel free to send them on over to the DOA gallery via Timid, it's good press for the gigs and for the scene here in general
Melbourne Funk Collective

Post by Melbourne Funk Collective »

Great shots. Love the angles.
8)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

But not one looker in the bunch.

:teef:
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

great photos 4 sure!

wow, didn't appear to be that many people but the place was pretty packed.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Special Hegg wrote:But not one looker in the bunch.

:? even with teef, i don't get the point of that comment.

bass freak - nice photos 8) would using a tripod help with the crazy lights action? or is that unavoidable taking photos in a club....am actually interested to know if anyone knows the answer to this
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

better vibe in the crowd and place... Brown Alley always pulls some mega punches for atmosphere (in my one eyed opinion)! I rate it above Roni like 6 notches above. 8)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lizkins wrote:bass freak - nice photos 8) would using a tripod help with the crazy lights action? or is that unavoidable taking photos in a club....am actually interested to know if anyone knows the answer to this

a tripod would help, but in the middle of a packed club it's not really an option
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

cool pics man!

I see that the movement you get is what often happens at gig shots, especially when you take the flash out of the equation, take shots hand held when there is lots of movement and/or slow the shutter speed down.

I'm not sure a tripod would solve these issues, as you still have the movement of bodies and lights.

I think the movement provides interest and a truer representation of what a gig/party is really like.

Obviously too much movement is a bad thing, but that's why we have digitals and memory cards these days, can get rid of the bad shots and keep the gooduns!

All in all great stuff :D
mobbin'

OMG

Post by mobbin' »

Craze an zinc, OMG!! AWESOME! Had a wicked night, venue RULED, crowd was great, MC was wicked.
Big UPS Fractured for putting on somethin that good in a city where the DNB is def struggling!
Fents

Re: OMG

Post by Fents »

mobbin' wrote: DNB is def struggling!
:?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

sweetcheeks wrote:love your pics! the elementz gallery should be up n running soon with pictures from most events from the last few years. also please feel free to send them on over to the DOA gallery via Timid, it's good press for the gigs and for the scene here in general

Trisha, you take heaps of photos at nights. I have seen you with a tri-pod too. Did that help?

Also, how would you speed up a digital camera? I have sport mode. Should i use that?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^^^ WTF?

Fents, he's allowed to voice his opinion isn't he mate?

Steve - is that sarcasm? If so, and if you agree with Mobbin's comments - why bag a crew trying to at least promote some d'n'b? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe I'm reading into this all wrong! Goddamn internet.
diode

Post by diode »

Tripod def helps...Longer exposures without shaking the camera doing it handheld.
If you want to handhold the camera get a good prime lens with a large apperature ( spelling). They are a little expensive...I think some of the newer digital SLR's have anti shake built into the lens or the camera body so this helps as well.
diode

Post by diode »

You guys are a bunch of negative pricks....quite often.
Why do threads mutate into a big slagging match so much on this 'once kinda fresh' forum.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Citizen Smif wrote:if ur not in the know, ur not in the know.
What an insightful comment there.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

What are you on about?
Fents

Post by Fents »

Direktor wrote:^^^ WTF?

Never said he cant have an opion mate, im just confused as to why DNB is struggling after we have just had Fabio (great turnout on a thurs night), Zinc n Craze, Randall and many more with Storm, Krust, Subfocus and alot more to come...plus:ONE
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fents wrote:

Never said he cant have an opion mate, im just confused as to why DNB is struggling after we have just had Fabio (great turnout on a thurs night), Zinc n Craze, Randall and many more with Storm, Krust, Subfocus and alot more to come...plus:ONE
Furry muff mate... Everyone's entitled to their opinion... I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, just observing.

It's hard to tell what people mean sometimes, particularly with the emoticons - know what I mean?
Citizen Smif wrote::tooshortplanks:
Huh? You talkin' to me? I know not....
nic

Post by nic »

Fents

Post by Fents »

Heres a little hint at emoticon usage my friend. Hold your mouse over the top of it and it usually comes up with a box telling you what it means ;)
nic

Post by nic »

my very first teef.
what do you think?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fents wrote:Heres a little hint at emoticon usage my friend. Hold your mouse over the top of it and it usually comes up with a box telling you what it means ;)
Ok Mr Smarty Pants! :D Did that - nothing happened.

It's more how some people use emoticons to mean different things though.

Meh - whatever.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Citizen Smif wrote:i like stuf
Shutup mate ur the one thats gonna kill dubstep.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Citizen Smif wrote:
Fents wrote:
Citizen Smif wrote:i like stuf
Shutup mate ur the one thats gonna kill dubstep.
Your opinion doesnt count remember
:smt033 Dont confuse the spliffuation
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Who cares what peeps think.......... the Punks Not DEad movement is still alive in 2006 outside Flinders St Station. They have daily meetings around 4pm and reunions every school holidays. :teef: :wink:
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Citizen Smif wrote:
Fents wrote:
Citizen Smif wrote: Your opinion doesnt count remember
:smt033 Dont confuse the spliffuation
:tripping:

you two - get a room :P

For Direktor: This emoticon :P is used for when you being silly and sarcastic.

:wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I have no idea what's going on here....

Has someone dropped acid into my coffee again?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:smt101 :smt119 :dontknow:
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Direktor wrote:I have no idea what's going on here....

Has someone dropped acid into my coffee again?
That's not fair, I didn't get any. :smt021 (this one means smashing some one on the head for not sharing uncle sid)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Dude I didn't voluntarily take it... I've been spiked.
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

what the fuck went on in here?
Lizkins wrote:
sweetcheeks wrote:love your pics! the elementz gallery should be up n running soon with pictures from most events from the last few years. also please feel free to send them on over to the DOA gallery via Timid, it's good press for the gigs and for the scene here in general

Trisha, you take heaps of photos at nights. I have seen you with a tri-pod too. Did that help?

Also, how would you speed up a digital camera? I have sport mode. Should i use that?
having a tripod can definitely help just as long as you've got somewhere stable to set it up. the elementz people know i'll probably bring it along and let me have some space on stage to pop it up. the only thing about a tripod is that it has to be set up in a good spot, otherwise you cant get decent angles and it's pointless having the camera be stable if you cant get a good view of anything

i also rest the camera on stuff when i'm able. not speakers though as they vibrate too much and i do shitloads of long exposures [where stability is a key]

bassfreak i suggest you join the ITM contributor team! they're always looking for good photogs and more often than not can arrange for you to be in contact with the promoter so perhaps you can take a tripod along and set it up with their blessing

and just so you know, i dont bring slrs or dslrs out to clubs because they're unwieldy and apart from getting nice shots i also want to have a good time and not worry about my equipment worth thousands of bucks :) i use a specific model of the sony cybershot with infrared beam. i dont think it was ever available in australia though :/

tell me a bit more about your camera Liz hon, the make and model and such. i'll be able to suggest things a bit better knowing what kind of camera it is
:Flash:

Post by :Flash: »

ohh my gosh loving all the pics. big ups to all :smt023
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

For party shots if ya dont want to use flash then a monopod is the way to go. Much easier to move around. Most of the time I just use slow sync flash, but it always depends on the location and stage lighting. Brown alley stage was very dark and red. Not even worth using available light unless there is some decent stage lighting.

Yeah I could do photos for ITM, but i would much rather do pics for promoters websites, to help them get more hits and promote their gigs.
By taking photos for ITM who are we really promoting. THis has always been my policy! Did this sorta stuff back in NZ. As a general rule websites like ITM would prefer cheezy portraits of pretty girls...thats not what i do
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

bassfreak wrote:For party shots if ya dont want to use flash then a monopod is the way to go. Much easier to move around. Most of the time I just use slow sync flash, but it always depends on the location and stage lighting. Brown alley stage was very dark and red. Not even worth using available light unless there is some decent stage lighting.

Yeah I could do photos for ITM, but i would much rather do pics for promoters websites, to help them get more hits and promote their gigs.
By taking photos for ITM who are we really promoting. THis has always been my policy! Did this sorta stuff back in NZ. As a general rule websites like ITM would prefer cheezy portraits of pretty girls...thats not what i do
Nice to see some one with some morals.
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

bassfreak wrote:Yeah I could do photos for ITM, but i would much rather do pics for promoters websites, to help them get more hits and promote their gigs.
you dont have to take cheezy portraits of pretty girls. i've been taking photos for itm for years now and never had many shots like those in my sets. as a matter of fact my shit's much more expressive than it is figurative. ITM is the biggest EDM website in this country and most people know of it and read it, therefore having pictures of events and other information up on there can only help to educate people who arent already involved and/or knowledgable. to suggest that someone isnt thinking of how to best promote the 'scene' by putting shots up on there is ridiculous to be honest. if motherfuckers are to keep considering drum and bass as the red-haired stepchild of electronica it will be because we let them.

besides, given i shoot up to 300 pics per gig i usually have enough room to crosspollenate. i do separate culls, one set for the elementz gallery, and other sets for places like in the mix and otherwise, with no photos overlapping. sara at itm knows i work on the elementz gallery and is happy for me to do this. and like i said, if you really want to promote the gigs, send your shots to doa's gallery, it's run by a kiwi called timid and she's always on the lookout for pics.
factory worker wrote: Nice to see some one with some morals.
:roll:
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Hey I'm not saying that doing photo's for ITM is not helping the scene in anyway, but just saying I would prefer to be doing pics for promoters websites.....
But I will suss out the DOA thing and see if I can put them up there
Cheers
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

sweetcheeks wrote:what the fuck went on in here?
Lizkins wrote:

having a tripod can definitely help just as long as you've got somewhere stable to set it up. the elementz people know i'll probably bring it along and let me have some space on stage to pop it up. the only thing about a tripod is that it has to be set up in a good spot, otherwise you cant get decent angles and it's pointless having the camera be stable if you cant get a good view of anything

i also rest the camera on stuff when i'm able. not speakers though as they vibrate too much and i do shitloads of long exposures [where stability is a key]

bassfreak i suggest you join the ITM contributor team! they're always looking for good photogs and more often than not can arrange for you to be in contact with the promoter so perhaps you can take a tripod along and set it up with their blessing

and just so you know, i dont bring slrs or dslrs out to clubs because they're unwieldy and apart from getting nice shots i also want to have a good time and not worry about my equipment worth thousands of bucks :) i use a specific model of the sony cybershot with infrared beam. i dont think it was ever available in australia though :/

tell me a bit more about your camera Liz hon, the make and model and such. i'll be able to suggest things a bit better knowing what kind of camera it is

yeah that is what i thought! Cheers lovey! :D I was taking night shots overseas, and we had to rest the camera down somewhere to get a clear shot, otherwise it would come out slightly blurry. I have a Nikon Coolpix L2 (i think its an L2). Anyhoo, that is the one i gots 8) :D Its radness! Check the photos thread for some of the photos i have taken with it.
mobbin'

Post by mobbin' »

Fents wrote:

OK!!!! mondays huh OBVIOUSLY i didnt explain myself well enough to avoid some peeps getting a bit upset :oops: so hey bro its all good - im just remembering melbourne 2 -3 years ago when there was a DnB interenational playing EVERY weekend and it was ALWAYS packed... surely you remember then compared to now and see the decline???
Anyways, PEACE, i love DnB as much as you and id rather fight the decline and give everyone who puts on, promotes or goes to DnB partys mad props.
Thanks for havin' my back Direktor, you knew what was goin' on!!

:D
Nic i heart your teeth.