Planet Pendulum Live

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
elhornet

Post by elhornet »

yeah

but the live thing may not be at many shows

announcement soon
Last edited by elhornet on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

lolsteve
e

Post by e »

I dont see the problem. Does everyone have to nod their head in the same fashion? A crowd going off is a crowd going off i.m.o.
The d'n'b scene should be big enough for people to experiment with some different sounds
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

if that is a completely live kit, then i am impressed. doesn't sound like anything i've heard before, but then i guess that's what you guys have always done.

i guess it's tough to change an idea or conception you have about someone's music. i really love certain pendulum tracks from the early days right up to hold your colour, and to see it move away from my idea of pendulum feels like a loss. it doesn't deserve the response you guys got here (esp my initial reaction).

but perhaps that's why you guys polarise a lot of dnb heads; unlike most, you'd have at least a couple of tunes that appeal to every single head out there, but they all want you to remake their favourite tune over and over. i know i do.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Nice one El Hornet...

Not that you should have to explain yourself to anyone though. Shits me when people try to dictate how someone/people should have to sound.

Pls bring the live show to Melbourne!
deviant

Post by deviant »

the kick drum in that sample sounds pretty much dead on the same sound they use for their produced tracks, pretty impressive really.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Maybe it is, just triggered by an electronic kick-drum pad.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

el hornet just think - in the time it took you to respond to the armchair bedrooom dj experts you could have written another banger!!!! ;)
elhornet

Post by elhornet »

Actually I wrote it while exporting something out of sx3 :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

preview plz thnx :teef:
munt beard

Post by munt beard »

haha nice work el hornet. big ups on not being content to milk a certain sound for ever and wind up being some sort of electronic version of a classic rock band.
tactik

Post by tactik »

munt beard : big ups on not being content to milk a certain sound for ever
WTF ? What do you think they're doing currently?

re:Pendulum

My major gripe with the pop&bass crew is that fans try and work the 'They get more people coming to d&b gigs' argument.

If by 'more' you guys mean "label-brandishing, tasteless, rhythmically challenged, meat-sacks" then I agree - that is exactly what they have brought to the scene.

I have a question;

If popularity is the fathom of quality - what can be said about the 'majority voted-in' Bush, Blair or Howard?

Creatively, the issue with writing these commercially-viable, hooky/banger tunes, is that they don't seem to actually make people feel anything, unless they're munted.

It also seems an existential certainty that if it's easy to dance too and is inoffensive to the audience = certain success
(if I hear one more Aussie hiphop outfit rhyme about beer....)

More people enjoy straight drum&bass to cut-up jungle because of the simple fact that they can dance to it.

- Techno is also massively popular (like it's predecessor, Disco) for the same reason.
- It's also why Pendulum is popular, as they make drum&bass inoffensive by watering it down with commercially acceptable rock guitars and simplified rhythm.

Just compare Pendulum's audio with tunes that actually go somewhere, you know, with a truly dark or twisted aspect or even a syncopated, enjoyable drum&bossa vibe...
- the point is that those kind of tunes, done well, easily manage to be much more than just a hefty set of drum samples, catchy synth lines and characterless, studio production.

I'm just so sick of this 'Lite drum&bass' bollocks (only half the fat but half the taste).

Just give me some fucking soul...
...even if it's been sold to the devil. :twisted:
Will

Post by Will »

tactik wrote:

My major gripe with the pop&bass crew is that fans try and work the 'They get more people coming to d&b gigs' argument.

If by 'more' you guys mean "label-brandishing, tasteless, rhythmically challenged, meat-sacks" then I agree - that is exactly what they have brought to the scene.

I have a question;

If popularity is the fathom of quality - what can be said about the 'majority voted-in' Bush, Blair or Howard?

Creatively, the issue with writing these commercially-viable, hooky/banger tunes, is that they don't seem to actually make people feel anything, unless they're munted.

It also seems an existential certainty that if it's easy to dance too and is inoffensive to the audience = certain success

More people enjoy straight drum&bass to cut-up jungle because of the simple fact that they can dance to it.

- Techno is also massively popular (like it's predecessor, Disco) for the same reason.
- It's also why Pendulum is popular, as they make drum&bass inoffensive by watering it down with commercially acceptable rock guitars and simplified rhythm.

Just compare Pendulum's audio with tunes that actually go somewhere, you know, with a truly dark or twisted aspect or even a syncopated, enjoyable drum&bossa vibe...
- the point is that those kind of tunes, done well, easily manage to be much more than just a hefty set of drum samples, catchy synth lines and characterless, studio production.

I'm just so sick of this 'Lite drum&bass' bollocks (only half the fat but half the taste).

EDITED COZ I'M NOT QUITE THAT DRUNK.

Stop dissing shit just because it doesn't conform with your taste in music.
scotty woo hoo

Post by scotty woo hoo »

simplified rhythm?

that is not how i would describe pendulums sound. and also politics and music are very different subjects

IT'S JUST DRUM N BASS, DONT TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY NOW!
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

oh noes!, pendulum with be the death of drum n bass!!!

please.Image

They can sound however the fuck they want, its their tunes. If you dont like it dont buy their tunes / go to thier gigs.., better yet make your own music.
deviant

Post by deviant »

pfffft to selling your soul to the devil.....

what a load of bollocks.
tactik

Post by tactik »

@scotty and will

Exactly!
They have every right to make music however they want... just don't try to tell me that their audio is empirically good without giving any reasons.

...and Yes, pendulum's music is very, very simple, especially rhythmically - but hey, it get's munted ravers dancing?! (not exactly a shortage of 'em at Fabric)

...and the reference to politics was as an analogy to those who think that popularity somehow proves quality.

- for deviant; the soul thing... does it really have to be explained?

I do actually want to chat to you guys about this - so... I've told you why I don't like them...
Tell me what you do like about Pendulum's tunes? Write a list if you want.
jude the obscure

Post by jude the obscure »

think tactik is just lamenting what he sees as a simplistic, formulaic approach, which he finds unstimulating and cynical - and not deserving praise.

don't think his comment is about taste in music, it's about falling standards when artists compromise in face of commercial reality. which doesn't always happen, sometimes artists use their popularity to push into more inspiring, unchartered territory.
deviant

Post by deviant »

hmmm,...

Of course it needs no explaination.... I just think it's bollocks.

I understand the concept of selling your soul, selling out your integrity etc etc.... BUT I don't think it applies to pendulum.

Nobody sounds like them, no music (DnB or otherwise) has been released before them that sounds like that. So to me it would seam that means they are innovative.

Their production is clear, tight, punchy and bold. The drums have a distinctive sound to them. sure their music may be simple, but I don't see how that is an instantly negative trait.... Some of my favourite music is the most simple.

The orchestral intro to Slam is also nothing short of genius IMO

I am getting sick of people ranting about how "commercial" or "sold out" pendulum are. They make music, it just so happens to be popular, cool to have an opinion but why do you care? I mean, let's all start disscussing how kylie minogue has "sold her soul" while we're at it.
tactik

Post by tactik »

Deviant -
No, no..no.

You misunderstand me.

By selling of the soul, I don't mean selling integrity at all..... I mean dark and twisted drum&bass and jungle...

I mean... I like music that makes you feel something... anything.... has some soul, you know - even if it's evil soul.

eg;
It could be really happy/funky shit, nostalgic tunes or maybe dark/evil (that kinda selling yr soul), etc..etc... it was a play on words.

I think Pendulum's tunes are mediocre mainly in this sense, it's what I dislike most, that there seems to be no character to the music (similar to what the Freestylers did to bigbeat and breakbeat).

I think it's fine to enjoy production standards, but I guess I'd prefer my music badly recorded, badly mastered and badly marketed... but interesting.

(btw I will now have to listen to the orchestral intro to Slam and see what I reckon...)

I do actually think Pendulum were innovative... were.....Vault was a whole new take on fat tunes.. then came the next few which were still pretty nice....
...but then it just kept repeating itself... tune after tune after tune - and now we have the same production sound and synths and drums (etc) just with guitars on it or shit vocals or turned into nuschool breaks versions....

Nothing really that new going on.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

tactik wrote:It also seems an existential certainty that if it's easy to dance too and is inoffensive to the audience = certain success
what the hell do you want? bitches, weed, henny, and fo-fos?
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
tactik

Post by tactik »

henny and fo-fo.....

Not completely sure what that is... but I presume yr talkin WestCoast gangsta bollocks....

so No... obviously I abhor that shit.

I wouldn't have thought this needed clarification... but there are more than 2 types of hiphop.

There are mc's out there that actually use interesting topics, insight and creativity to create rhymes and beats - instead of just plundering the bogan bell-curve.
gaz

Post by gaz »

tactik wrote:I do actually think Pendulum were innovative... were.....Vault was a whole new take on fat tunes.. then came the next few which were still pretty nice....
...but then it just kept repeating itself... tune after tune after tune
Sh sh sharon? what about some of pendulums remixes.. Most were huge and innovative (bacteria.) Pack o wolves was a hUGE improvemnet (slight cheese), on the original, and later on the tonight remix, which was just fucking cool. more remixes please.

I agree probably one of the reasons pendulum has become so popular is that their music is very, um likeable. I remember my housemate last year (who listens to horrible music like creed n shit) took a huge liking to the hold your colour cd. I got him to listen to Bad Taste & no turning back, and he didnt like it (neurofunk or stfu). Also another friend of mine who once declared his dislike for drum n bass, found himself asking to put on 'the pendulum' in the car. jjj helped i think.

What i have come to understand is that once something that is good and 'underground' has been 'leaked" into a commercial market, its gonna get big and spread and labelled 'sold out' by heads. Hence the phrase, 'i like their old stuff better' which i do. i just fukcing hate it when ingrates ask you if you have heard of these new guys pendulum and you push your tongue underneath your bottom lip, squint your eyes and walk away. Gridlok & elhornet - hollywood is good tho, does that count as pendulum? rly

lolpendulum. If you dont like there music there is plenty more dnb out there to listen to. Im drunk. bye :lol:
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

tactik wrote:henny and fo-fo.....

Not completely sure what that is... but I presume yr talkin WestCoast gangsta bollocks....

so No... obviously I abhor that shit.

I wouldn't have thought this needed clarification... but there are more than 2 types of hiphop.

There are mc's out there that actually use interesting topics, insight and creativity to create rhymes and beats - instead of just plundering the bogan bell-curve.
What if your a bogan, should you just try and fake some sought of PM DAWN shit and save some whales?
Thats fucked man, aussie hip hop spans in all directions and if the only hip hop you hear is a bunch of bogans goin on about beer, then ya better stop getting cd's off ya mates :smt021
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

biiiiiig beats, biiiiiiiig sounds, biiiiiiiig bollocks, biiiiiiiiiiiiiig everything!
Citizen Smif wrote: It's shit music, the production values are untouchable.
But who really gives a toss about mixdowns & production.
When the ideas are so cheesy, personally I cant deal with the same old stomping drums. It's just tired.
i love you stiv. i dont agree but i gdamn love the way you spit it but
Blatently seen the $$$ and making the most of it.
not sure about this. they all did band shit before pendulum, it's not like the love died the day they discovered electronica. or that what they do now isnt stuff they all actually would like to hear from someone else. they're all getting older and no-one's tastes ever stays the same always
Scholtzy wrote:oh noes!, pendulum with be the death of drum n bass!!!

please.Image

They can sound however the fuck they want, its their tunes. If you dont like it dont buy their tunes / go to thier gigs.., better yet make your own music.
scholtz i appreciate you but i fucking hate that argument. the 'if you dont like it, just dont talk about it, pretend it doesnt exist and you have no opinion on it while you just make stuff you DO like, positivity RULEZ' thing. wtf? pendulum will not be the death of anything but to say people dont have the right to come on here and put their two cents across without worrying elhornet or anscenic is gonna pop on here and read it and therefore be gunning for a person with that username for the rest of their natural born lives, is bullshit. if cunts dont like the tunes, cunts dont like the tunes. if cunts think the live act is toy, cunts think the live act is toy. if cunts want to say as much then cunts ought have the right to say so. the only thing those cunts need is some fucking cojones to stay solid when someone disagrees. this forum is an extension of the real world, no matter what motherfuckers have to say about it and if people cant discuss things and handle situations as they come, whatever they may be, they need to fuck off to mt eliza and live a happy bohemian existence without running water. cause those cunts are living in the dark ages anyhow
gaz wrote:what about some of pendulums remixes.. Most were huge and innovative (bacteria.) Pack o wolves was a hUGE improvemnet (slight cheese), on the original, and later on the tonight remix, which was just fucking cool. more remixes please.
i both agree and disagree here. i think the pendulum remix of tonight is one of the best drum and bass tunes in the modern age of the genre. i think the bacteria remix makes me sneer involuntarily. its these two conflicting attitudes that makes me think the live show is a good thing for them and will be for many people who enjoy them now and/or will pick them up later. no matter whether they're making shit you like or no, they're an incredible phenomena to witness, in the decisions they make and paths they take. and even though i dont like the tunes i'm happy to see them do well. passing judgement on them artistically is like a makeup shotgun, chances are no matter how you slice it you're gonna end up looking like a professional wanker who spends a fair amount of time on their knees
almax

Post by almax »

gaz wrote: i just fukcing hate it when ingrates ask you if you have heard of these new guys pendulum and you push your tongue underneath your bottom lip, squint your eyes and walk away.
LOL so true! especially cats that have previously declared their dislike of dnb based on the very few tunes they have heard and then pigeon hole anything that sounds fast and syncopated as music they wont like. It dissapoints me that they cannot open their ears and minds to the full spectrum of audio bliss that dnb brings to me, but meh, its their loss in the end.

re. oz hip hop spitting bout beer, i see your point tacktic, but i mean really, its a song, would you take that approach to hearing yet another song about a girl? There are so many tracks out there that waffle on about love etc but some really stike a chord with me about a particular girl/situation that i have experienced and whenever i hear them, it triggers my memory.

nothing better than an uplifting hip hop track when your down the beach with your mates, drinking beer, that song still fresh in your mind from the car trip down. Kinda like a soundtrack to the day, tis what good memories for me are made of.

but er yeah, otherwise, gimme some fucking soul and a melody anyday, none of this drone shit.
almax

Post by almax »

sweetcheeks wrote: "cunt" a fucking lot!
wash your mouth out with soap young lady!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

almax wrote:
sweetcheeks wrote: "cunt" a fucking lot!
wash your mouth out with soap young lady!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good thing i'm not talking on a public platform here hey, i could be doing some damage to impressionable minds
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

sweetcheeks wrote:
Scholtzy wrote:oh noes!, pendulum with be the death of drum n bass!!!

please.Image

scholtz i appreciate you but i fucking hate that argument. the 'if you dont like it, just dont talk about it, pretend it doesnt exist and you have no opinion on it while you just make stuff you DO like, positivity RULEZ' thing. wtf? pendulum will not be the death of anything but to say people dont have the right to come on here and put their two cents across without worrying elhornet or anscenic is gonna pop on here and read it and therefore be gunning for a person with that username for the rest of their natural born lives, is bullshit. if cunts dont like the tunes, cunts dont like the tunes. if cunts think the live act is toy, cunts think the live act is toy. if cunts want to say as much then cunts ought have the right to say so. the only thing those cunts need is some fucking cojones to stay solid when someone disagrees. this forum is an extension of the real world, no matter what motherfuckers have to say about it and if people cant discuss things and handle situations as they come, whatever they may be, they need to fuck off to mt eliza and live a happy bohemian existence without running water. cause those cunts are living in the dark ages anyhow
My point is that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone rants about on the net, pendulum are always going to do what they do, like it or hate it. I don't own one pendulum record, but I can still respect them as producers, their production is top notch for what they do. Music taste is personal, you cant tell someone to like something, just as much as you cant expect producers to produce what you like.., just because they have the ability to.

Why complain about what some producers making 'bad' tunes when you could just listen to an artist that you do actually like.

The whole mass appeal thing, as far as I see it, if pendulum are getting people into dnb that wouldnt usually like it, maybe people like that style of drum and bass.., who are we to say they shouldn't like it? For me an Andy C / Friction / Clipz set with 5 MC's going back to back is very different music compared to a Phace, Calibre or Breakage set, completely different musical / production values. If people like to down 6 pingaz and have 'phat raves' then good for them, if they like to sit in the back corner chinstroking thats good as well.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Sholtzy - You can't sit down and chin stroke. I thought you knew that mate. You have to be standing up.

:teef:
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

tactik wrote:

I have a question;

You're funny :lol:

Keep strokin'
elhornet

Post by elhornet »

I stopped reading once he began talking about the 'darkside'.
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

^ you guys keep talking about chin stroking like its a bad thing?

:wink: :D
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

elhornet wrote:I stopped reading once he began talking about the 'darkside'.

:lol: funny

:smt006 love most of the tracks on Hold Your Colour. Listened to it so much i almost went into overkill :lol:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

tactik wrote:@scotty and will

Exactly!
They have every right to make music however they want... just don't try to tell me that their audio is empirically good without giving any reasons.

...and Yes, pendulum's music is very, very simple, especially rhythmically - but hey, it get's munted ravers dancing?! (not exactly a shortage of 'em at Fabric)

...and the reference to politics was as an analogy to those who think that popularity somehow proves quality.

I do actually want to chat to you guys about this - so... I've told you why I don't like them...
Why bother? I like it, so I listen to it. You don't like it, so don't listen to it.

If you don't like it, don't pay it attention to it by spreading hate.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hardy wrote:
tactik wrote:@scotty and will

Exactly!

Why bother? I like it, so I listen to it. You don't like it, so don't listen to it.

If you don't like it, don't pay it attention to it by spreading hate.
:scr1pt:

Fair enough to say you don't like something. But to categorically rate something as shit, ie. your opinion is final, is straight-up bullshit IMO.

Some people just like the sound of their own over-opinionated voice.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Hi everybody.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

DBoy wrote:Hi everybody.
I disagree.
wizzle-wazzle

Post by wizzle-wazzle »

Has anyone seen Trekkies?

I'm getting that wierd competitive feeling of the bidding war between the Trekkies and the Klingons.

Fan is for fanatical.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

did it scare u? lol

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

andy_hoffman wrote:
did it scare u? lol

He stopped being scared when it became commercial. :sleepy1:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

factory worker wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:
did it scare u? lol

What an unexpected comment.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Hardy wrote:
factory worker wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote: did it scare u? lol

What a dry sense of humour.
argument

Post by argument »

Hardy wrote:
I disagree.
no you don't!!!
An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

factory worker wrote:
Hardy wrote:
factory worker wrote: He stopped being scared when it became commercial. :sleepy1:

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
almax

Post by almax »

hi Dr Nick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

factory worker wrote:
Hardy wrote:
factory worker wrote: He stopped being scared when it became commercial. :sleepy1:
I had my sense of humour removed when i was a baby.

Unfortunately sarcasm and dry wit often doesn't translate well on the internet.
elhornet

Post by elhornet »

darkside was so commercial in 97

sellouts even had video clips

:shakes fist:
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

elhornet wrote:darkside was so commercial in 97

sellouts even had video clips

:shakes fist:
fuck you elhornet, my right eye is swollen and i look like Sloth from the Goonies and its all pendulum's fault i tell ya! dont ask me HOW or WHY, it just IS. you're ruining drum and bass with your bloody party vibes, what about us goths huh? HUH? BITCH?

btw, to actually be on topic for once, we do get people into the metalcore gothfest shows through mendulum. it relates to the process of refinement. peoples tastes change. maybe a year ago they loved pendulum but now they're after different sounds, maybe techno-influenced tunes or the million beats-in-a-bar current value type biz. the parties they attend reflect those changes.

peoples' tastes change. maybe mendulum's tastes have changed too?

while i'm at it, i'll take pendulum any day over current value. that's sacrilege considering what i do but there it is
elhornet

Post by elhornet »

wocky woad!