sound engineering courses

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Luka

Post by Luka »

i did the RMIT cert IV in 2002 and praise it highly.
it cost around 300 per semester
(with the youth allowance / health care card discount)

there were around 700 applicants for 60 positions.

I wanted to learn how to run sound systems and build some production skills. I went into the interview and pleaded with them to let me in. Even said please a few times. i had no real background other than running events and dj'ing. No substancial music background or studio experience.

i reccommend everyone does it but unless you have some killer learning styles i would reccommend spending some time in someone's studio and sussing out the basics.

i went into the coarse knowing zilch and came out with a good knoweldge of most things however i didnt have the base skills to build from. Lock down some basic concepts and get some experience on some gear then go into the coarse and you'll come out really highly trained.
problem child
messycreations
TheBrains

Post by TheBrains »

I think alot of people need to shift focus from production to song writing.

Most tunes I hear on this forum sound tight but lack the basis of a good song or have weak arrangements. Its arguable that good songs with strong arrangements practically mix themselves. Yet how many posts on various production forums ask about snares, kicks, basses, compression, EQ, whatever without a single reference to song writing.

IMO, schools like SAE are just a way to generate money from the misconception that sound production is a dark and mystical art to which few are initiated. In truth, it's not rocket science. Think seriously for a moment, do you really need to go to school to learn how to use a compressor? I don't think so. Its more often the song and arrangement that needs the attention.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I hear what you're saying, although I think they're equally important.
Xelpmok

Post by Xelpmok »

TheBrains wrote:I think alot of people need to shift focus from production to song writing.

Most tunes I hear on this forum sound tight but lack the basis of a good song or have weak arrangements. Its arguable that good songs with strong arrangements practically mix themselves. Yet how many posts on various production forums ask about snares, kicks, basses, compression, EQ, whatever without a single reference to song writing.

IMO, schools like SAE are just a way to generate money from the misconception that sound production is a dark and mystical art to which few are initiated. In truth, it's not rocket science. Think seriously for a moment, do you really need to go to school to learn how to use a compressor? I don't think so. Its more often the song and arrangement that needs the attention.
100% agreed!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I agree that strong musical knowledge is often lacking. That's why I started learning piano this year. (28, never too late)

But as far as audio goes, I say "Stay in school, kids." For one thing, more producers need to learn when NOT to use a compressor.

It also depends on your level of ambition. Personally I'm tired of people telling me "you don't need to do a course, you can figure it out yourself." If you're happy to sound like every other bedroom producer who never gets anything released, then fine, but I think my standards have always been much higher.

Unless you're the kind of person who can quickly learn heaps all on their own. I'm certainly not one of those. Without structure, focus and deadlines, I never seem to get anything done.

All about individual needs, innit.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I take it all back. Looks like I didn't get into RMIT, so it's the snail's pace again for me.

:cry:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

buck up chap

remember, the focus on these courses is pretty disparate. you learn a little about a lot of things, and wouldnt necessarily have heaps of quality time on specific production techniques...
flippo

Post by flippo »

Hegg your tunes are wicked. Production is def up there, compositions expecially are mint. You just need to churn out more I recon :)
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

dun worry lee
just be more disciplined and you'll pick it up no problems
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Cheers guys. I did wanna learn about recording and live sound as well, but I guess that'll have to wait.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

TheBrains wrote:I think alot of people need to shift focus from production to song writing.

imo the arrangement and songwriting is from the artist within, the production is the science of getting the ideas to work that needs teaching. ideas should be ones own, thats why they call musicians "artists"
i agree a lot of concepts for tunes are fucking weak, however.
you probably shouldnt be producing if u dont have any decent ideas :P
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue