Melbourne's water wallies exposed

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
almax

Melbourne's water wallies exposed

Post by almax »

Melbourne's biggest water guzzlers have been exposed - and the residents of Caroline Springs and inner-city Fitzroy have emerged as the worst offenders.

Water use by residents in postcode 3023, which covers the western suburbs of Cairnlea, Deer Park and Caroline Springs, leapt by 20.6 per cent between July and September this year, compared to the same period last year.

And the trendy suburb of Fitzroy, which includes three Greens representatives on Yarra Council, was a surprise second in the list.

Residents there used 19.9 per cent more water than they did last year.

The postcode-by-postcode breakdown was released today by the State Government.

With Victoria in the grip of a vicious drought and stage two water restrictions in force across Melbourne, the figures showed huge anomalies in water use across different suburbs.

The outer northern suburb of Doreen produced the best result, cutting its water consumption by nearly 25 per cent compared to last year.

Residents in Park Orchards and Camberwell East also managed to slash their use by more than 20 per cent.

As of January, breaches of stage-two water restrictions will attract on-the-spot fines of $322

Stage two restrictions
- Watering of lawns is banned for residents, businesses, local councils and sports grounds.

Specified playing surfaces can be watered, e.g. cricket wickets, golf greens.

- Hoses cannot be used to wash cars. Cars can only be washed using a bucket that has been filled directly from a tap, with a high-pressure cleaning device or at a commercial car wash.

- Watering systems can only be used to water gardens on alternate days during specific times.

- Manual (non-automatic) watering systems between 6am and 8am and 8pm-10pm; Automatic watering systems between midnight and 4am.

- Gardens can be watered at any time using a hose fitted with a hand-held trigger nozzle.

personally, im such a militant with water, i hate watching people waste it
Lil MiSbreaks

Re: Melbourne's water wallies exposed

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

almax wrote:personally, im such a militant with water, i hate watching people waste it
Word. The guys at the restaurant behind us absolutely wally it every night.

Im tempted to dob them in, its not good enough.

Its amazing how many people, a lot of them old, think it doesnt really matter if I waste water, im only one person. One world man, one person does make a difference.... :roll:

I want 'dob in a wally day'. 8)
Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout »

I'm just guessing, but that increase in water usage probably has something to do with growing populations in those two suburbs - i.e. multistory developments in Fitz and planned housing estates in Caroline Springs, etc.
IMO, the current policy of putting the responsibility for saving water on households is pretty weak anyway, given that household water usage accounts for something like 9% of water consumed in Victoria. Meanwhile, farmers are growing ridiculously water intensive crops like cotton in the middle of the dessert :roll: .
I'm all for saving water, but industry's gotta lead the way. Or, more to the point, government's gotta make them.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

OMG LOOK OUT FOR THE WALLIES! COME BACK NAOMI ROBSON! YOU'RE WORK IS NOT YET DONE!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I have no faith in the State Government when it comes to water saving, unless they are prepared to:

- install recyled water systems for watering lawns, parks, nature strips etc.

- stop logging in water catchment areas.

Until then Bracksy can shove it up his arse.
mecka

Post by mecka »

its the fuckin kiwis!

:teef:
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

mecka wrote:its the fuckin kiwis!

:scr1pt: LOL pucking Kiwi's :sheepteef:
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

how about cutting down shower time?
How about the council allowing large property owners to build or at /least/ fix their dams' so that they can use that water for livestock and not the mains!!!!

How about every dripping tap being stopped? Silly landlords not wanting to bother... they should /have/ to bother

That's wasting way too much already :evil:

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

mixtress

Post by mixtress »

My house has three massive vats out the back that we string the washing machine hose to, so the water from every load of washing gets distributed into each until they're full. Then we water the garden from these with a basic watering can. I hate the idea of wasting drinkable water on the garden. I reckon every house should get at least one big tub from the council for this purpose to help prevent wastage.

Great thread :wink:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
lynt

Post by lynt »

The Mixtress wrote:My house has three massive vats out the back that we string the washing machine hose to, so the water from every load of washing gets distributed into each until they're full. Then we water the garden from these with a basic watering can. I hate the idea of wasting drinkable water on the garden. I reckon every house should get at least one big tub from the council for this purpose to help prevent wastage.

Great thread :wink:
Me and SQ were saying the same thing, especially with all the new apartment blocks going up - it should be law that there's a excess water distribution system for watering gardens / washing cars etc from household useage.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Hardy wrote:OMG LOOK OUT FOR THE WALLIES! COME BACK NAOMI ROBSON! YOU'RE WORK IS NOT YET DONE!

bahahahah!
...and basically that's the situation
jungle_tactics

Post by jungle_tactics »

What we need is a good stint of 'name and shame' campaigns.

Ray Martin, DO YOUR THING!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Confucius say

If you spin an awesome bedroom set and no one is around to hear it, did you still spin an awesome bedroom set?
mrj

Post by mrj »

Kilgore_Trout wrote:I'm just guessing, but that increase in water usage probably has something to do with growing populations in those two suburbs - i.e. multistory developments in Fitz and planned housing estates in Caroline Springs, etc.
IMO, the current policy of putting the responsibility for saving water on households is pretty weak anyway, given that household water usage accounts for something like 9% of water consumed in Victoria. Meanwhile, farmers are growing ridiculously water intensive crops like cotton in the middle of the dessert :roll: .
I'm all for saving water, but industry's gotta lead the way. Or, more to the point, government's gotta make them.
:sctripticles to that!!!:

never a truer word spoken. Ausralian farmers grows RICE in the desert for fucks sake, and then wail in despair when they "through no fault of their own" fall on hard times.

Australia needs to much smarter about water. Industry, parituclarly agriculture, is the first step.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

one of my clients makes these...

www.aussiebladda.com.au

now there's no excuse for evey home not to have a water tank
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

mecka wrote:its the fuckin kiwis!

OU BULLSHIT OU!
"Do you want to spend your life just in order to function? Or do you want to stand up and FIGHT for it?" - NIc Endo
gnat

Post by gnat »

I'm the biggest water Nazi. I get homicidal when people leave the tap gushing water down the drain to brush their teeth

I fill buckets from my rinse cycle and water my garden with that. I'd love a tank but it's not my house and there's simply nowhere to fit it. I've cut down shower time and wash less loads of clothes each week- save em up and jam em all in

I talk to rural folk every day and their account of how desperate it is out those ways is frightening.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

At the cafe i work in we fill a bucket up with water from all the glasses that people fill and never drink - i take heaps of it home for my plants etc...

I cant stand the amount of idiots that sit down at restaurants and fill their glasses right to the top (and everyone else's at their table) and have 2 sips and leave it..... even worse are the staff who then pour it down the sinks afterwards.
"Do you want to spend your life just in order to function? Or do you want to stand up and FIGHT for it?" - NIc Endo
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

HotChipps wrote:At the cafe i work in we fill a bucket up with water from all the glasses that people fill and never drink - i take heaps of it home for my plants etc...

I cant stand the amount of idiots that sit down at restaurants and fill their glasses right to the top (and everyone else's at their table) and have 2 sips and leave it..... even worse are the staff who then pour it down the sinks afterwards.
Good point, I never thought of that. Every little bit helps ay? I'm a big water drinker so I always try to finish my glass :D .
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

gnat wrote:I fill buckets from my rinse cycle and water my garden with that.
I tried this til I flooded the house!
I wish I had the money to install one of these tanks or any kind, have wanted to for years but paying the bills/loan is evil. The subsidies offered by the gov't needs to increase so that we have greater access. Really every new house should have a compulsory tank, or it should be a perk of building IMO!

My poor plants suffer cos I am never home during the times when I can water them (odd days) and I can't be snuffed doing them with a bucket. :(
HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

ulyssian wrote:
gnat wrote:I fill buckets from my rinse cycle and water my garden with that.
I tried this til I flooded the house!
I wish I had the money to install one of these tanks or any kind, have wanted to for years but paying the bills/loan is evil. The subsidies offered by the gov't needs to increase so that we have greater access. Really every new house should have a compulsory tank, or it should be a perk of building IMO!

My poor plants suffer cos I am never home during the times when I can water them (odd days) and I can't be snuffed doing them with a bucket. :(
OH Ulyssian i will adopt your plants!!! seriously! I absolutley love plants and hate to hear of any that are lacking TLC! Alternativley i iwll donate some water to you from my work ok! :)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

One of my Mum's neighbours asked he how she managed to keep the garden looking so lush and she told them about the tubs. He goes "I just water mine whenever I want to...they would cost more to replace than the fine I'd get if I got caught". My Mum ripped through him...it was awesome :wink: