Fire:Aid - March 3rd @ Miss Libertines

The forum to discuss the upcoming event held in Melbourne to raise funds for charities currently involved with the Victorian 2006 Bushfire disasters.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I think you will find if we act on behalf of an exsisting charity (the obvious choice here) we will be able to use their reciepts for this purpose.

I think part of choosing the charity we work with will be their keeness to work with us. Let's look into a few options, I am happy to take care of that side of things.
Ani

Post by Ani »

I'm up for helping out... door bitch sounds good. Sign me up.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

breaksRbest wrote:
system wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:excellent Liz, once we have a Press Release done I'll get you to send it to your mate at PBS (and anyone else you can think of)

who's a good writer?

:wave:

What do you need in it? Give me the areas to cover and I'll have it done in a jiffy.
Thanks mate.

All we have so far is the idea, venue & date. I think we need to lock in a few more details before writing a press release

at the rate we're going we'll have alot more locked down in the next couple of days
NP - it'd be good to have a 'headline' act or two to really push the concept further and have more media outlets pick up on this quickly. I don't think that it'll be too hard to get people to support an event of this kind, but the earlier that information gets to them, the better.

That said, the idea of people burning up the dancefloor (and buying some scorching tunes/artwork) to give something back to those affected by the recent bushfires is a great concept.

Bring it!
breaksRbest wrote:btw - this is by no means 'my' party, I just got the ball rolling. Ideally this would be a community driven event, MB.C being that community.
ALL ideas and ANY kind of input is more than welcome and encouraged.

P.S - you guys ROCK!

:scr1pt: Biggups community spirit.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Fuck I love the people around this place. Mad.

So more than happy to lend a hand doing whatever needs to be done to get this up and running.

Glad to donate whatever time, energy and coin I can spare to get this thing going.

You all rock
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
betson

Post by betson »

Yeah nice one glenn,
Glad to donate anytime needed,
can help out with a simple web site if needed.

Will try and see if work will sponsor/donate goods again and make some more free keytags.
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Okay we have PBS on board.

Working on RRR right now.

I reckon if i get RRR, JJJ ain't much of a stretch further (maybe :shock: ), however names to list would be good i.e. some sort of DJ line-up.

I also got Ennio Styles wanting in on this. You all may have seen him play at Good Vibes, Fat Freddy's Drop and regularly at Honkys?!?! He rocks, but i am biased cos he is my boss :lol:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

will be ecstatic to be a part of this

count me in in any way known how :)

PS

wouldn't mind doin a set, but I'm quite handy with a trowel also......
gnat

Post by gnat »

Which internationals are in Melbs in early March?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
lynt

Post by lynt »

abstar

Post by abstar »

Awsome idea im in!! 8)
marcus

Post by marcus »

gnat wrote:Which internationals are in Melbs in early March?
I'd say it might be worth asking a couple of Australian internationals whether they'd like to play and pay for their airfare to Melbourne if need be, eg Kid Kenobi, Hook n Sling, Phil K, Dopamine, Smithmonger etc. Airfares are pretty cheap and might be able to work out some sort of sponsorship with a travel agent. Don't think it's worth pursuing "internationals" due to various promotional/exclusivity issues.

Probably should start a thread on musical direction for the night to get an idea of what people are thinking in terms of who to ask etc.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
Friday

Post by Friday »

i've got a couple of mine touring in march. will have to work out if it's gonna be possible or a conflict for them to do a second show but will work on it...

other ways to help though i'm keen too!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Hi,

The following domain name now belongs to us:

http://fireaid.net/
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

re: lineup

it's a bit early to be announcing a lineup.

Beat:Aid had a couple of International because they happened to be in town at the time. We're gonna try & do this again which is why we can't set anything in concrete just yet

As with Beat:Aid, the focus will be on acts/DJ's that can pull the biggest crowd.

There have already been a couple of acts suggested but we can't talk about that until they're confirmed

We have the advantage of the party going for 24 hours, which is alot of sets to fill.

The most important thing at the moment is the cause, not the lineup. IMO we should focus on the things that require planning and effort, e.g sponsorship, raffle prizes, artwork etc

Have a look at the lineup for Beat:Aid and that was organised and confirmed in under a week

In most the cases, the most important element of a party is who's playing. In this instance there is a bigger picture to focus on.

You can be guaranteed that whatever the final lineup is it'll be farken WICKED
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

in march there's a few events

future music
playground

so there will be loads of acts flying around ... maybe worth pursuing them or their agents to see whether it's feasible to do an unannounced/charity type thing ...

Also worth looking into the Fire benefit gig that was done in Canberra a few years back. A guy I know was involved - I might try and get him on here. It was a similar concept (albeit larger) that worked really well and people embraced the idea.

You should also speak to myspace about ways they can get involved seeing most of the audience you want there would be users. It also spreads the word to a larger audience.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

shepherd wrote:You should also speak to myspace about ways they can get involved seeing most of the audience you want there would be users. It also spreads the word to a larger audience.
Definately gonna hook up a page.

I'm sure there's a few people here that could design a good one

Got any contacts at myspace shepherd?
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I'm happy to co-ordinate and compile CD. I did MBU CD and it was great. Thanks to Gyno's art work.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

won't be around, but will donate a track if you do a cd or anything else that can help
big ups to all involved
dopamine

Post by dopamine »

marcus wrote:
I'd say it might be worth asking a couple of Australian internationals whether they'd like to play and pay for their airfare to Melbourne if need be, eg Kid Kenobi, Hook n Sling, Phil K, Dopamine, Smithmonger etc. Airfares are pretty cheap and might be able to work out some sort of sponsorship with a travel agent. Don't think it's worth pursuing "internationals" due to various promotional/exclusivity issues.

Probably should start a thread on musical direction for the night to get an idea of what people are thinking in terms of who to ask etc.
I would happily play for free for a charity event but unfortunately i'll be in the UK early March.

Cracking idea though, hope it all goes well.
nickdivision

Post by nickdivision »

keen to help in anyway we can.... :)
the house is riddled with whiteants and the lane is covered in chicken shit..........
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i can offer >

contacts for djs, and or live hip hop crossover shit.

art auction > we made over $4000 for chartiy with an art auction at the 2004 stencil festival, i can get quite a few works donated, and prolly from some heads like phibs, reka, and some others...

helping to promote > like gnatty, gift of the gab.

what else?

use me!!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

I'm getting in touch with my contacts at various alpine resorts. I know that they all feel strongly about this, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble rustling up some free tix for the raffle.

Stay chooned.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Lizkins wrote:Okay we have PBS on board.

I reckon if i get RRR, JJJ ain't much of a stretch further (maybe :shock: ), however names to list would be good i.e. some sort of DJ line-up.

I also got Ennio Styles wanting in on this. You all may have seen him play at Good Vibes, Fat Freddy's Drop and regularly at Honkys?!?! He rocks, but i am biased cos he is my boss :lol:

okay, i got a response back from Triple R, and as i thought, one of the things they want to see is the line-up.

They get a lot of these requests, so they cannot say yes just yet, they want to see the press release and line-up.

They are offering, if they take it on, to put this up on their website and have people announce it on their shows.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i'm not going to be much use in feb (which i'm assuming will be the busy promo time) because i won't be in the country, but more than happy to help out where i can on the night.

can't say i have much in the way of connections. free cloak check and drink cards at emo night? :teef:

but yeah...in like flynn. :D
gnat

Post by gnat »

lucas wrote:Hi,

The following domain name now belongs to us:

http://fireaid.net/
Fan.Tastic LC

Love your work
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lizkins wrote:okay, i got a response back from Triple R, and as i thought, one of the things they want to see is the line-up.

They get a lot of these requests, so they cannot say yes just yet, they want to see the press release and line-up.

They are offering, if they take it on, to put this up on their website and have people announce it on their shows.

Coolio 8)

but we're a long way off sorting out a lineup.

First thing we need to do is decide on a charity. I'll be putting a Poll up in a minute.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I'm in - let me know where I can help out
deviant

Post by deviant »

elflaymo wrote:PHIL K!!!!!! FARK YEAH BWWOOOYYYYEEE
Phil K actually lives in Greece at the moment :?
witty_pseudonym

andy page. pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease. :D
marcus

Post by marcus »

witty_pseudonym wrote:andy page. pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease. :D
His set at the last beataid was rad. He was on the guitar, programming beats off the laptop etc Although I think he lives overseas at the moment too.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

YES!
witty_pseudonym

marcus wrote:
His set at the last beataid was rad. He was on the guitar, programming beats off the laptop etc Although I think he lives overseas at the moment too.
he was freakin amazing!!! jaw on the floor for the whole set.

me want more. 8)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

breaksRbest wrote:
Lizkins wrote:okay, i got a response back from Triple R, and as i thought, one of the things they want to see is the line-up.

Coolio 8)

but we're a long way off sorting out a lineup.

First thing we need to do is decide on a charity. I'll be putting a Poll up in a minute.
Yeah for sure 8)

Well at least we have PBS on board no matter what :D

Should i try JJJ while i'm at it?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i'd say if you want high reach/awareness skip RRR/PBS and go to Nova - why only reach 20,000 when you can reach 200,000! :)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

shepherd wrote:i'd say if you want high reach/awareness skip RRR/PBS and go to Nova - why only reach 20,000 when you can reach 200,000! :)

I'm sure that Nova would be really into it as well.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

don't be so quick to assume system. never know unless you try. the point is to reach people isn't it ;)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

shepherd wrote:never know unless you try. the point is to reach people isn't it ;)

That's what Tom (and Rupert) say. ;)
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

HEY!!

If we have the date, the name and the venue confirmed...

is there a possibility of getting some promo material done pre Xmas/NYE party season??

Im sure everyone will gladly push posters etc. at all NY gigs.

and since its 3 months away, STICKERS would be great.

justwith name and date, no one is going to fine a charity event for Fire (victims/fighters). We could cover the city!!

I could cover $$ if need be!
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

hmm maybe PBS can broadcast from Miss Libertines for the whole 24 hours.
And have the radio announcers tell the listeners to donate via a certain phone no. etc.
I dont know if PBS would be willing cause they do need the money themselves but eyy its worth a try.
And PBS can always have a membership desk at the event.
Just my 5 cents... feel free to chuck it in the gutter if u want haha.
I can stick some posters round the cbd, eastern suburbs etc.
Lizkins wrote:

witty_pseudonym

^^ that'd be mad.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

djboganofbeatz wrote:hmm maybe PBS can broadcast from Miss Libertines for the whole 24 hours.
And have the radio announcers tell the listeners to donate via a certain phone no. etc.
I dont know if PBS would be willing cause they do need the money themselves but eyy its worth a try.
And PBS can always have a membership desk at the event.
Just my 5 cents... feel free to chuck it in the gutter if u want haha.
I can stick some posters round the cbd, eastern suburbs etc.
Lizkins wrote:

what do others think about this?

i know that PBS already have their raising-funds for pbs drive during the year.

Re: Nova - what do people think?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Can't hurt to try Nova.
Don't hate me for house
drew

Post by drew »

breaksRbest wrote:
DBoy wrote:Although it seems like a long time to organise lets not sit on our hands, seems like there is a bunch of enthusiastic peoples here... lets get any brainstorming happening.

so far what has been suggested...
BBQ / Raffle/ Art Auction
All for a good cause, such as widows of firemen, or a specific community that has been badly hit...
(i like the second one).

Obviously a shit load of DJ's to cover 24 hours of party time need to put their hands up.

Anyone got ideas for some artwork for the fliers or what not?
for Beat:Aid we had 'teams' that were headed by one person, it worked really well and I think that's the way to go this time around too

such as....

Marketing
Promotions
Raffle
CD
Art Auction
Design

and a shitload of volunteers for door bitches/bastards

as far as artwork is concerned I think a flyer & poster with a Fire Extinguisher or Fire Engine theme would be rad!

yeah...i can help out with any deisgn art work at...

or maybe something like the instructions on the side of the fire extinguiser on instruction 'about' FIREAID???
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

so does triple j do anything like this??
Maybe ABC2 would be willing to broadcast some stuff on that channel cause they are pretty music based.
if we have more genres rather than just drum n bass breaks etc. it will attract a much bigger audience....soo theres some more 5 cents from me (now you have 10 cents)
marcus

Post by marcus »

jbs wrote:Can't hurt to try Nova.
I also reckon we get John Course and Grant Smilie to play.

:lol:
Double D

Post by Double D »

Great work Glenny and the rest of the Communtiy.

Nice way to make a ¨positive vibe change¨ in this place!

I´m back in town in a couple weeks and will likely have a bit of time on my hands between then and March.

Happy to be involved anyway I can.

Agree with others that the best way to get sponsorship/promotions etc rolling is a release of somekind of line-up. It is understandable that groups would be hesitant to support an anonymous venture, even if we know the great lineup that was secured very quickly for Beat Aid.

Also understands bRb´s hesitation, but I think if at least a ¨FIRST ROUND, many more to come¨ type lineup was included in the press release it would really help. Still gives plenty of room to move and change things before the proper lineup is finalised.

Keep up the good work everyone!

D
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

marcus wrote:

I can play a John Course cover set if needed.
Don't hate me for house
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

YAY.

Awesome idea Glenn.

I was so impressed with Beat aid last time, no doubt this will be another stellar party :D

If you need contacts for joy fm, triple J, tranzfusion, the scene, destramedia, etc let me know and I can sort you out.

I know you havent worked out line up yet (and I am sure you will be inundated with offers) but if you are looking for a downtempo/trip hop act Lumiera would be happy to play :)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

marcus wrote:

all jokes aside - PBS and RRR get about 3% of that of the audience Nova does. If you are serious in reaching an audience and generating real awareness outside of the same old circles that WILL KNOW ABOUT THE GIG ANYWAY then why not step outside the comfort zone.
marcus

Post by marcus »

shepherd wrote:
all jokes aside - PBS and RRR get about 3% of that of the audience Nova does. If you are serious in reaching an audience and generating real awareness outside of the same old circles that WILL KNOW ABOUT THE GIG ANYWAY then why not step outside the comfort zone.
Good points.