Who should we donate to? UPDATED PLEASE READ!

The forum to discuss the upcoming event held in Melbourne to raise funds for charities currently involved with the Victorian 2006 Bushfire disasters.

Who should we donate the Fire:Aid money to?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:44 pm

V.R.F.B.A
8%
C.F.A
54%
Wildlife Victoria
31%
Red Cross
6%

Total votes: 48

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DBoy wrote:we are not still debating who the money goes to are we. Thought it was decided.

An official announcement would be a good idea then, to reduce confusion. (Also, locking this thread. ;))
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

system wrote:
DBoy wrote:we are not still debating who the money goes to are we. Thought it was decided.

An official announcement would be a good idea then, to reduce confusion. (Also, locking this thread. ;))

:scr1pt:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Sorry guys, been a bit flat out for the party season

A few people who originally voted for CFA have PM'd me to say they have changed their votes to Wildlife Victoria.

Seeing as the results are almost equal I would suggest we donate to both.

We'll make an official decision in the next day or so
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

:smt038 Go animals
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

D Boy, I'll have a press release tomorrow and it'll be 90% finished, we'll have a chat over a steak tomorrow night and I'll let you know what's needed for the other 10%
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

cool.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I just spoke with Wildlife Victoria and they are STOKED with the idea

Apparently they're finding it really hard to make ends meet and the funds would be very, very well received.
gnat

Post by gnat »

breaksRbest wrote:I just spoke with Wildlife Victoria and they are STOKED with the idea

Apparently they're finding it really hard to make ends meet and the funds would be very, very well received.

that is wicked glenny

BU the animals
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

breaksRbest wrote:I just spoke with Wildlife Victoria and they are STOKED with the idea

Glen your a champ. need any help
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Channel 9 News just ran a story about animals affected by the bushfires, there's a shelter in Warrnambool that's looking after Koala's and they're hoping to save 3/4 of them

Looks like the Bushfires are about to flare up again too :(

kronz, I'll send you the details of the contact from Wildlife Vic', if you would like to liaise with them between now & the event that'd be awesome
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Fantastic that we are doing the split then.
kronz

Post by kronz »

No probs Glenn
GO CATS! GO CATS!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

SO the CFA have siad that most of there areas are recieving good funding at the moment, not in desperate need of cash. One area that does need cash is their education unit, which travels around to small towns and teaches kids and families about what to do in cause of fire and preperation etc.

This is not what we originally intended money to go to really, but sounds like a good program.

On the other hand, with the Safeway charity day and all the support CFA seem to be getting are we better off just hleping out wildlife vicotria, who are struggling big time?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

the program sounds like a great idea! though i like it mostly because they are actually doing it. help prevent people losing their homes with better education. good stuff.

..especially after seeing one farmer using only a tea-towel to get out flames the other day when the fire got close. i thought that wasn't very prepared.
gnat

Post by gnat »

DBoy wrote:SO the CFA have siad that most of there areas are recieving good funding at the moment, not in desperate need of cash. One area that does need cash is their education unit, which travels around to small towns and teaches kids and families about what to do in cause of fire and preperation etc.

This is not what we originally intended money to go to really, but sounds like a good program.

On the other hand, with the Safeway charity day and all the support CFA seem to be getting are we better off just hleping out wildlife vicotria, who are struggling big time?
yes, animals or stfu
kronz

Post by kronz »

:scr1pt:
GO CATS! GO CATS!
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

i read somewhere that the "volunteers" from outside of victoria are getting paid up to $600 a day for fighting the fires...
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

DBoy wrote:SO the CFA have siad that most of there areas are recieving good funding at the moment, not in desperate need of cash. One area that does need cash is their education unit, which travels around to small towns and teaches kids and families about what to do in cause of fire and preperation etc.

I read an article on the education unit last week in the paper and it seemed like a really good idea. If people know about fires and how to save their properties and life, that's got to be a good program. Nothing is more heartbreaking than reading new stories of people who flee at the wrong time and get trapped and die in their cars :(

Regarding Safeway, their appeal day was for DROUGHT RELIEF, with most of the money going to the Country Women Association (CWA, not CFA) and some towards research.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

page 3 of herald sun is worth looking at today (I think it's page 3 ... that or page 5)

A koala being rescued from an area wiped out by the fires. I think the animal donation thing is awesome 8)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I'll grab a copy of the Herald Sun today.

I think they also did a front page article last Thursday about saved koalas from Warrnambool
flippo

Post by flippo »

I think educating the public, and getting rid of this "Fire; enemy of man" and "houses exploding! Fireballs!" bullshit that the media spits out or quotes from the mouths of the traumatised public is much more effective way of stoping fires from causeing property damage and injuring people than driving around squirting water at them. At least that's the very strong idea I got from the experts who research this kinda stuff when I did bushfire managment and ecology in undergrad.