Laptop Djing

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Flash

Laptop Djing

Post by Flash »

I have always wanted to give djing a go, but money and motivation have always put me right off taking it up.

I fairly recently purchased a Mac book Pro lappy for video work and am wondering what my options are djing with the thing..

what hardware/software would i need to get started? a friend was telling me i needed a midi controller?

some advice would be fantastic as i am keen as mustard to start
cheers :)
flippo

Post by flippo »

yeh Midi controler a really good idea, pain in the ass otherwise.

for software like tracktor, Behringers ( :lol: ) BControl DJ is a good option, if you want to do more traditional style mixing.

If you want to get more into effects, loops, semi live production side of things, Ableton, with something like M-audio Trigger finger or X-session.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah, all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Your usual Final Scratch, Connectiv setup will usually require you to have at least one turntable or CDJ in order to operate the timecoded vinyl or CD - might be an idea to invest in one of these, that way you can play CD/vinyl also.

If you just want to DJ within you computer, perhaps Ableton hooked up to some sort of MIDI controller, or the new Numark Cue DJ software might be what you're after.

Depending on what program you go for, will determine what hardware is required, and what your limits/capabilities are going to be.
deviant

Post by deviant »

m-audio torq has some great controller options too. I was playing with torq and one of these on xmas day, very addictive and fun....

no vinyl imput required :)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Traktor 3 looks the goods, aparently the internal mixer is based on the Allen&Heath Xone:92
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... raktor3_us

But live is also looks awsome, just it looks pretty fiddly, as i am not familiar with using ableton for producing.

Time to test the demos me thinks...
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i have one of these
use a soundcard with 2 outputs and a dj mixer
badness
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

torque is unreal!
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
spiral

Post by spiral »

ms pinky FTW
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:m-audio torq has some great controller options too. I was playing with torq and one of these on xmas day, very addictive and fun....

no vinyl imput required :)
Connectiv Vinyl will be in Australia very soon!!! Very excitement! :shock:
aerobiotic

Post by aerobiotic »

unsoundbwoy wrote:Image

i have one of these
use a soundcard with 2 outputs and a dj mixer
badness
I would also recomend this midi controller, I have a Novation X-station 25... although I havent used it for djing yet I will in the future.

You will need a sound card - A sound card with A-B channels so you can switch between the two. Im thinking about getting a Native instruments Audio Kontrol1, ive had a good read on this product and it looks the goods for laptop DJing...

heres a page with all the details on Audio Kontrol 1

Just about every live set you see will most likely be done with Ableton Live, Ive used both Live and Tracktor and would choose live over the latter any day, its pretty good for production I think. Rolling connection use it for DJing and production.

Live6
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

i just got one of these, think flippo did too and foundation stepper had mine for a while. so far very impressed. sound quality is very high. definitely prefer it to the edirol fa-66 i was using for last coulpe of weeks, seems sturdy, all metal construction. preamps have great reviews if you do any recording, haven't tried them out yet.
came in at just under $500, pretty cheap, so you don't have to be too precious about carrying it to gigs and stuff. also is about the size of your hand

this novation keyboard is the bizness, can create a string of effects and have fitlers hooked up to the rotary then a row of delays on the faders and tweak the crap out of stuff ...
flippo

Post by flippo »

yeh I've got a firebox. Sounds great, preamps are clean as fuck.

But, it does not run well on my system, drop outs galore. took a while to figure out what was wrong, but it's because my graphics card, network card, and firewire all share IRQ 9. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it, might keep it till I get a new computer. :(
flippo

Post by flippo »

ok they're probably not 'clean as fuck', but for the price I recon they are prolly the goods.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

flippo wrote:ok they're probably not 'clean as fuck', but for the price I recon they are prolly the goods.
I'll be keen to give these pre's a listen, coz you usually can't even buy a good stand-alone pre for that price. Sounds good.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Direktor wrote:
flippo wrote:ok they're probably not 'clean as fuck', but for the price I recon they are prolly the goods.
I'll be keen to give these pre's a listen, coz you usually can't even buy a good stand-alone pre for that price. Sounds good.
well I'm not really experienced, but from the pre amps I've used in my band days, and just going on how the signal sounds to me, I think they are pretty good.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Cool.

What did u play in your band?
flippo

Post by flippo »

guitar, electric and acoustic (yes sometimes nylon Little Evil :o)

Bit depressing really, wrote alot of shit that never got put together because I didn't have the musicians for it. Composed string and piano parts and shit. I could probably put them together now on the computer, but I've no idea where the transcriptions got to :cry:.

Really miss working with live instruments, was so excited to get the firebox, as cut as a bilby selling knives now that I cant get the bastard to work.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

That's a bummer man. What sort of music did you guys play?

And what sort of music did you write, if it's any different to Question No.1.
spiral

Post by spiral »

the only thing stopping me getting the firebox is the issue with firebox and Mac Book Pro's, not getting power from fw port..
cos i know im going to upgrade to MBP soon
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

yeah, that is with particualr mbp 17 models

the bus powering thing is just on start up so if you dont mind the friggin around you can make a battery pack (a few AA's) into a portable Dc power supply. plug it in for boot up and then remove...

problem worked around, a bit fucked but keep in mind (as i have) all the positives.
spiral

Post by spiral »

nice idea..
where did you pick up yours?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

tristan at soundcorp in south melbourne... tell him eliot sent you, he will sort you for sure

i havent done the battery thing myself becuase i dont have a lappy yet, but ive seen documented cases of people doing it. and there is no reason it wouldnt work
spiral

Post by spiral »

cheers for that
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks for the great responses so far guys!
I think ive got my head around the basics of what i need now.
how is this for a setup?

Lappy with:

with the AUDIO KONTROL 1 or Firebox

and the m-audio X-Session Pro USB MIDI controller

unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

well, dont feel like you need to spen $$$$ to have fun.
i saw fucknose play an awesome set using a mouse and traktor, totally interesting beatmixes and cool textures

do whatyado and have fun mate. tek ya time
aerobiotic

Post by aerobiotic »

$300 on ebay at ark
Stray

Post by Stray »

Check out this baby - $300 AUD

http://www.behringer.com/BCD2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
The BCD2000 features a full-speed USB 4-channel audio interface plus high-resolution 24-bit A/D and D/A converters. It perfectly complements the included BEHRINGER B-DJ software or most other DJ software. And don’t let the cutesy looks fool you: this is an integrated, full-fledged audio mixer with a premium quality mic preamp, 3-band kill EQ per channel, ultra-precise faders, super-smooth crossfader and talkover function. The BCD2000 is packed with 2 state-of-the-art phono preamplifiers, one of which is switchable to a CD player. Its sophisticated headphone section includes PFL Mix, Split options and direct listening to master output mix. Play, Pause, Cue, Loop and Pitch Bend functions are regulated via dedicated controls for intuitive Djing, and 4 user-assignable controls and buttons are available for an integrated FX section. Take advantage of the enormous processing power of modern PCs and mix, scratch and manipulate digital music in real time—regardless of the format!
Last edited by Stray on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Stray wrote:Check out this baby - $300 AUD

The BCD2000 features a full-speed USB 4-channel audio interface plus high-resolution 24-bit A/D and D/A converters. It perfectly complements the included BEHRINGER B-DJ software or most other DJ software. And don’t let the cutesy looks fool you: this is an integrated, full-fledged audio mixer with a premium quality mic preamp, 3-band kill EQ per channel, ultra-precise faders, super-smooth crossfader and talkover function. The BCD2000 is packed with 2 state-of-the-art phono preamplifiers, one of which is switchable to a CD player. Its sophisticated headphone section includes PFL Mix, Split options and direct listening to master output mix. Play, Pause, Cue, Loop and Pitch Bend functions are regulated via dedicated controls for intuitive Djing, and 4 user-assignable controls and buttons are available for an integrated FX section. Take advantage of the enormous processing power of modern PCs and mix, scratch and manipulate digital music in real time—regardless of the format!

Looks interesting!
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

...or Torq's new Xponent.... due to arrive soon...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/T ... -main.html

From M-Audio.com:
Torq Xponent is a cutting-edge performance system that brings professional-grade control to the world of the computer-based DJ. Engineered by M-Audio’s SynchroScience Design Group, the package includes the Torq DJ software that’s revolutionizing digital DJing and the Xponent hardware control surface that puts all that power right at your fingertips. With full-size tactile controls, an integrated USB audio interface and intuitive MIDI-learn capabilities, Torq Xponent bridges the gap between traditional DJ hardware and today’s powerful performance software once and for all. This completely integrated system combines the features of a standard two-channel DJ mixer with the controls of a pair of DJ CD players, letting you cue, mix and scratch digital files without touching the host computer.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Direktor wrote:...or Torq's new Xponent.... due to arrive soon...

From M-Audio.com:
Torq Xponent is a cutting-edge performance system that brings professional-grade control to the world of the computer-based DJ. Engineered by M-Audio’s SynchroScience Design Group, the package includes the Torq DJ software that’s revolutionizing digital DJing and the Xponent hardware control surface that puts all that power right at your fingertips. With full-size tactile controls, an integrated USB audio interface and intuitive MIDI-learn capabilities, Torq Xponent bridges the gap between traditional DJ hardware and today’s powerful performance software once and for all. This completely integrated system combines the features of a standard two-channel DJ mixer with the controls of a pair of DJ CD players, letting you cue, mix and scratch digital files without touching the host computer.
that's what I'm talking about! 8) .

how many billion it going for though :?
Stray

Post by Stray »

$750 US :?

The behringer is awesome for the price.
But.. does anyone know where I can get one?
It seems they are out of stock everywhere.
flippo

Post by flippo »

store DJ on ebay always seemed to have them
aerobiotic

Post by aerobiotic »

I couldnt find store dj on ebay...? Link???
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

flippo wrote:
that's what I'm talking about! 8) .

how many billion it going for though :?
Haven't worked out the AUS RRP yet my friend, it's not actually available yet....
aerobiotic

Post by aerobiotic »

grooki

Post by grooki »

all those knobs! i wish i had a knob or two to fiddle with!
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

Direktor wrote:Yeah, all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Your usual Final Scratch, Connectiv setup will usually require you to have at least one turntable or CDJ in order to operate the timecoded vinyl or CD - might be an idea to invest in one of these, that way you can play CD/vinyl also.

If you just want to DJ within you computer, perhaps Ableton hooked up to some sort of MIDI controller, or the new Numark Cue DJ software might be what you're after.

Depending on what program you go for, will determine what hardware is required, and what your limits/capabilities are going to be.
im using Traktor 3 and it's great but requires a sound card with more than one output plug in order to cue.. I am on a crappy onboard stereo so no cueing..

Also I am desktop... and occasionally my 2nd hard drive decides to not accept power if I vibrate case at all... is even WORSE if I have the case siding on..

Anyone had experience with taking a desktop without case siding to a gig and not having it overheat or blow up?? Also I only have a 17" CRT that's a bitch to carry..

NOT TO MENTION I don't have a car...

Do venues ever provide computer monitors?! LOL

I would love to do digital more than vinyl. I mean VINYL REPRESENT but.. SO MUCH CHEAPER! You can download wav's of tracks for a couple of bucks nowadays...
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think i just lost my load...

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4066

KORG ZERO4

KORG ZERO8

It's like everything in the one package...
Im just hoping the zero4 will come in under $1800
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

As if there weren't enough options already, here's Traktor Scratch.

http://www.native-instruments.com/filea ... mfinal.zip
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

system wrote:
Stray wrote:Check out this baby - $300 AUD

Looks interesting!
$100 beans on ebay atm if someone is looking for one...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Behringer-BCD200 ... dZViewItem
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

From M-Audio.com:
Mad unit.
I want one! 8)
spiral

Post by spiral »

the behringer bcr2000 bcf2000 are good cos of Mackie control emulation, that dj one look interestin
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

spiral wrote:behringer... are good...
Those two words do not belong in the same sentence as each other.

:lol:
spiral

Post by spiral »

lols
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Isn't latency an issue with laptops though? Especially if you want to do fast cuts? Using a real mixer with CDJs/vinyl - there's something great about the immediacy of it. Or do these mixers actually mix the audio in the analogue realm within the controller device?
(Rather than sending the information back to the PC, and letting it to the mix internally, thus creating latency equal to the size of your audio buffer.)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Wow. AudioKontrol1 looks gooooooooooooood.
By design

Post by By design »

Direktor wrote:
spiral wrote:behringer... are good...
Those two words do not belong in the same sentence as each other.

:lol:
HA HA :lol:
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Little Evil wrote:

From M-Audio.com:
Mad unit.
I want one! 8)
For real - I think I just made my mind up on one too - You can get there anywhere between $1090 and $1400 if you shop around online (although I'll check what DMC have/can do of course) ;-)

If you ever need to play at a house party etc, it so portable and will not take up too much room at home. Looks pretty nifty too!!!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I guess the only thing I'm wary about is the fact that in a lot of club situations there's no room in the tiny dj booth to put this sort of thing anywhere.

Maybe it should come with a guitar strap. :teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Check Store DJ/Vinyl Warning out for pricing also.

www.storedj.com.au