TEN YEARS OF NOTHING - not one fucking thing!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

mrj wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:Autism growth rate progression in the US.

Here is a simple chart to help understand the Autism growth rate progression

(Past rate approximately doubles every 2 years)

1994 1 in 10,000
1996 1 in 5,000
1998 1 in 2,500
2000 1 in 1,250
2002 1 in 625
2004 1 in 312
2006 1 in 166
2007 1 in 150

Here is how the future may look
based on the past progression rates unless something is done today

2009 1 in 75
2011 1 in 38
2013 1 in 19
2015 1 in 9

But, is it

a) that the occurence of Autism is increasing?

or

b) that the diagnosis of Autism is becoming better?

or

c) that the definition of Autism is becoming broader (again linked to diagnosis

just because there are more cases doesn't mean that there is some sort of epidimic of Autism. Although I'm certainly not an expert, I didn't even finish watching Rain Man.

K-mart sucks.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
gnat

Post by gnat »

Bwahahahahaha mecka you kill me

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Friday

Post by Friday »

mrj wrote:

1994 1 in 10,000
1996 1 in 5,000
1998 1 in 2,500
2000 1 in 1,250
2002 1 in 625
2004 1 in 312
2006 1 in 166
2007 1 in 150

2009 1 in 75
2011 1 in 38
2013 1 in 19
2015 1 in 9

But, is it

or

or

just because there are more cases doesn't mean that there is some sort of epidimic of Autism. Although I'm certainly not an expert, I didn't even finish watching Rain Man.
i reckon a bit of both b and c.

that would include people with some autistic tendancies throught o full blown autism. my boy teaches at a school that while it's a regular state school is known for taking on lots of kids with learning imparements and he sees the full spectrum.

they have a room which has a folder on all the kids that have either a learning impairment, severe allergy or home issue they need to be aware of (ie the dad is to have no contact and not to collect them after school etc) and he said it is just walls and walls of folders. about 50% of the kids have either an impairment or allergy and another 20% have home issues :(
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

The true incidence of autism spectrum disorders is likely to be within the range of 30–60 cases per 10, 000, a huge increase over the original estimate 40 years ago of 4 per 10, 000. The increase is largely a consequence of improved ascertainment and a considerable broadening of the diagnostic concept. However, a true risk due to some, as yet to be identified, environmental risk factor cannot be ruled out. There is no support for the hypothesis for a role of either MMR or thimerosal in causation, but the evidence on the latter is more limited.

Conclusion: Progress in testing environmental risk hypotheses will require the integration of epidemiological and biological studies.

Source: Rutter, Acta Paediatricia, vol 94, 1, 2005.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mrj

Post by mrj »

double post
Last edited by mrj on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
mrj

Post by mrj »

well there you go eh!
Friday

Post by Friday »

aspekt

Post by aspekt »

A koala is sitting up a gum tree smoking a joint when a little lizard walks past ,
looks up and says "Hey Koala ! what are you doing?"

The koala says: "Smoking a joint, come up and have some."

So the little lizard climbs up and sits next to the koala and they have a few joints.
After a while the little lizard says his mouth is 'dry' and is going to get a drink from the river.
But the little lizard is so stoned that he leans too far over and falls into the river.
A crocodile sees this and swims over to the little lizard and helps him to the side, then asks
the little lizard: "What's the matter with you?"
The little lizard explains to the crocodile that he was sitting smoking a joint with the koala in
the tree, got too stoned and then fell into the river while taking a drink.
The crocodile says he has to check this out and walks into the rain forest, finds the tree where
the koala is sitting finishing a joint, Image
and he looks up and says
"Hey you!" So the koala looks down at him and says:
"Fuuuu - k dude.......how much water did you drink?!!"
There's no justice, just us.
gaz

Post by gaz »

needs more ELECTRONIC COMPUTER
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
DBoy wrote:

and ya point? you saying you don't fit the bill D?
I just never knew what it meant.
8)

ahhhh gotcha, i was kind of doing more of a motley crue reference ages ago and has now stuff, still, it works :wink:
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

cold lunch = sad JGal
These are the days of our lolz
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

J Gal wrote:cold lunch = sad JGal
Hi lady :love:

Lunch @ Kenzan GPO makes happy Fiwi :D
Last edited by stovequeen on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lynt

Post by lynt »

:scr1pt:

Kenzen ftw.
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

Oh tasty... We have to go soon... I miss ya babe!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

J Gal wrote:Oh tasty... We have to go soon... I miss ya babe!
miss ya too lady! Want to go sat? they only open lunch mon - sat and early dinner thur and fri 8)
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

...and basically that's the situation
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

stovequeen wrote:
miss ya too lady! Want to go sat? they only open lunch mon - sat and early dinner thur and fri 8)
Fo shore... It's a date! :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

J Gal wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
Fo shore... It's a date! :D
ok.. consider it locked... depending on post AT hangover...o! :P
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

O! ill be in pain wid ya! AGWA any one?
lynt

Post by lynt »

NO
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

J Gal wrote:O! ill be in pain wid ya! AGWA any one?

"For over 4000 years among the native Andean population the coca leaf has been used for ancient rituals and for everyday gift giving. Today it is drunk as a tea and chewed for hours by farmers and miners. The result is similar to a prolonged caffeine or tobacco buzz. But it's more than that. It improves stamina, is a sacred symbol central to community life and provides essential nutrients. 100 grams of coca would more than satisfy the daily-recommended allowance of calcium, iron, phosphorous, vitamin A and riboflavin. The World Health Organisation and the UN's Inter Regional Crime and Justice research institutes cocaine project maintains that coca users show none of the classic signs of addiction. In fact coca is not a major component of cocaine as only 0.5% of the alkaloid cocaine is found in coca and 41 chemicals are needed to extract cocaine from the coca leaf. "

IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!
Last edited by stovequeen on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

lynt wrote:NO
HARDENTHEFARKUPMRLYNTOS
OMG you should see my bartab from fri :shock:
lynt

Post by lynt »

J Gal wrote:
HARDENTHEFARKUPMRLYNTOS
But we were only there for like 10 minutes weren't we? :oops:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Friday wrote:
mrj wrote:

1994 1 in 10,000
1996 1 in 5,000
1998 1 in 2,500
2000 1 in 1,250
2002 1 in 625
2004 1 in 312
2006 1 in 166
2007 1 in 150

2009 1 in 75
2011 1 in 38
2013 1 in 19
2015 1 in 9

But, is it

or

or

that would include people with some autistic tendancies throught o full blown autism. my boy teaches at a school that while it's a regular state school is known for taking on lots of kids with learning imparements and he sees the full spectrum.

they have a room which has a folder on all the kids that have either a learning impairment, severe allergy or home issue they need to be aware of (ie the dad is to have no contact and not to collect them after school etc) and he said it is just walls and walls of folders. about 50% of the kids have either an impairment or allergy and another 20% have home issues :(
The irony is that they have the best immuhnization programme in the world to ensure their children don't die of some horrid "3rd world" disease. No proven connection, but in a lot cases the onset of autism coincides with imnmunisation jabs. Does it bring it on, cause it or just occur aroudn the same time? Back to you MRJ.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i'm still in my jammies. :)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

black star wrote:
Friday wrote:
mrj wrote: But, is it

or

or

The irony is that they have the best immuhnization programme in the world to ensure their children don't die of some horrid "3rd world" disease. No proven connection, but in a lot cases the onset of autism coincides with imnmunisation jabs. Does it bring it on, cause it or just occur aroudn the same time? Back to you MRJ.
There is no support for the hypothesis for a role of either MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella) or thimerosal in causation, but the evidence on the latter is more limited.

There have been loads and loads of epidemialogical studies on the impact of MMR on prevalence of autism, and the current consensus is pretty much "MMR don't cause no Forrest Gump, y'all hearin me??"
mrj

Post by mrj »

black star wrote:
Friday wrote:
mrj wrote: But, is it

or

or

Coincidental IMO (which is based on nothing but pure postulation, I have absoutley no knowledge or training in this arena).

I think that from a behavioural perspective you really wouldn't be able to notice autism really until a child is say 2 or 3 or 4. Its at this point that it would become noticable that perhaps your child isn't developing as fast or in a way that they should. It just so happens that kids get immunised around this time (dont they???, I don't know because I don't have kids). I'd say there is unlikely to be a causative link.

so yeah I'm going with just occur at the same time

EDIT - didnt see Cia's post. gawd, do we ALWAYS have to agree :roll: :lol:
Last edited by mrj on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I wish I was special, but I make do with pretending to have disabilities in public. It's a good way to get across busy roads and a bit of attention from the staff in a cafe.

:waits for flaming:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

On that same note, a study in Japan found the following evidence that MMR doesn't cause autism:

Autism rises despite MMR ban in Japan
10:35 03 March 2005
Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition.

Parents need have no more fears about the triple vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella. A study of more than 30,000 children in Japan should put the final nail in the coffin of the claim that the MMR vaccine is responsible for the apparent rise in autism in recent years.

The study shows that in the city of Yokohama the number of children with autism continued to rise after the MMR vaccine was replaced with single vaccines. "The findings are resoundingly negative," says Hideo Honda of the Yokohama Rehabilitation Center.

In the UK, parents panicked and vaccination rates plummeted after gastroenterologist Andrew Wakefield claimed in a 1998 study that MMR might trigger autism, although the study was based on just 12 children and later retracted by most of its co authors.

Soon the vaccine was being blamed for the apparent rise in autism, with Wakefield citing data from California, US (see graph). In some parts of the UK, the proportion of children receiving both doses of the MMR vaccine has dropped to 60%. This has led to a rise in measles outbreaks and fears of an epidemic.

Not one epidemiological study has revealed a link between the vaccine and autism. But until now they have all concentrated on what happened after MMR vaccination for children was introduced. Honda's is the first to look at the autism rate after the MMR vaccine has been withdrawn. Japan withdrew it in April 1993 following reports that the anti-mumps component was causing meningitis (it plans to introduce another version).

[/quote]
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I read that autism can be spurned on by high levels of mercury in the mother's blood. Considering the ridiculous amounts found in our fish these days, the increase in cases could be linked.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
mrj

Post by mrj »

There you go.

Seems so bloody obvious though doesn't it. I find it terrifying that a country would change their immunisation regime because they thought there thought might be a link to Autism, without actually doing a full blown study first.

Further to that I would have thought that all these factors would have been obvious in determining whether there might be a link or not.

meh
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

The only strong causational evidence that can be gleaned is generally derived from large-scale epidemiological studies. Statistics should be approached with a large stick:

:smt075

:Nerd:
mrj

Post by mrj »

Hmmm.....yes....thats what I thought too......

:smt017

i dont even know what that means
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

mrj wrote:Hmmm.....yes....thats what I thought too......

:smt017

i dont even know what that means

:oops:

I'm going to shut up now.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A. wrote:The only strong causational evidence that can be gleaned is generally derived from large-scale epidemiological studies.
AKA: keep survey group dem fuckoff massive blud seen pon the data intake.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

system wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:The only strong causational evidence that can be gleaned is generally derived from large-scale epidemiological studies.
AKA: keep survey group dem fuckoff massive blud seen pon the data intake.
:smt043

das a massif "w3rd", bro.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

The chick on Deal or No Deal tonight's name is...

...wait for it....

Summer Burns

Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

The Mixtress wrote:I read that autism can be spurned on by high levels of mercury in the mother's blood. Considering the ridiculous amounts found in our fish these days, the increase in cases could be linked.
There's mercury in the immunizations as well.
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

lynt wrote:
J Gal wrote:
HARDENTHEFARKUPMRLYNTOS
But we were only there for like 10 minutes weren't we? :oops:
@ Miss L's for about an hour i fink... Tab was @ $140. Heaps of agwa... YUM
nic

Post by nic »

lol trying to foward through a streaming radio show because i didnt liek the song and closing media player as a result.

der
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Wide awake!! Why?? Walking to work!! :D

w00t!!
gnat

Post by gnat »

morning jane saville

:smt006
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

gnat wrote:morning jane saville

:smt006

:smt039 Morning Lady!!
spiral

Post by spiral »

morning ppl
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

meh morning.... Little kiwi is struggling today. eyes basically glued together... :coffee:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Morning,
2nd day of hauling ass to work on packed train,
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

good morning kats and kittens.

I'm so tired. How tired?? I had a dream that I went to bed and had a dream, that's how tired :smt015
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

fucking awful business about the massacre in a US uni. 33 confirmed dead. :?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/car ... 88268.html
elysium

Post by elysium »

Hey people! :D
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

witty_pseudonym wrote:fucking awful business about the massacre in a US uni. 33 confirmed dead. :?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/car ... 88268.html
Bad ay? It was the first thing I heard this morning when my radio alarm went off. Yay for American gun laws :not: