What drum machine do you use - and why?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Little Evil

What drum machine do you use - and why?

Post by Little Evil »

Hey!
Just really concentrating on getting a fast workflow going with production, and find the thing that slows me down most personally is drum sequencing. (Laying the drums out over the whole tune, the re-editing them to suit the final feel of the song))
Used a few different drum machines, but was wondering what most use - and why?
Want something that I can program easily, then knock it straight into one of my sequencers midi tracks with as little fuss as possible.

Also, are there any things you don't like about your drum machine sampler/sequencer? Maybe a few things that could be improved?

Would be very interested to know.
Thanks. 8)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Redrum. It's simple'n'easy and with a nice ol' school interface.
Sure, it's not the most powerful package out there - but for what I need - it does the job adequetly.... I'd prefer a bit more control over my ADSL envelopes but other than that, she's all good.

Getting Battery later this week all going well.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

I learnt on Redrum, but I find it has lots of limitations.
Love it too - but I want something a little bit better.
Been using Battery, and its a wicked sampler - but I find it a bit of a pain in the arse.
It has lots awesome features, and I'd rather use it as a sampler, than actually use it for drums.
The lack of a sequencer in the actual program sort of puts me off.
I like to see all my drum pattern going at once, and then commit them to midi track.

Anyone used Guru? What do you think? Just trying it out.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

whoops i have had too many coffees this morning :D
Last edited by LuKo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

I been using guru for a while

I find its like lightening for 4/4 stuff - absolutely killer

but for breaks it falls down significantly
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Why no good for breaks mate? 8)
What lacks?

Having a crack at the demo tonight when I get home. Haven't used it yet.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

Stylus RMX is great to get some inspiration - even lift the MIDI and cut it up in your sequencer with own samples.

After that I use Battery with an MPD24 to bash around on. Drums are about the only thing I can do, as I like making beats to skratch over.

Personally I rkn getting a pad controller will speed you up way more than any program. It did for me. The more fucking around the better.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
flippo

Post by flippo »

I'm dieing to get a korg padkontrol, it's aabout $2k back on the list though.
calstro

Post by calstro »

I prefer straight on to audio channels.
Plot em out / FX em the way you want
Group them etc..
Total control.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Got some pads on my Axiom, but will be getting an MPD in the near future.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I usually just work with audio in the track. I like looking at waveforms rather than solid bars.

But I must say the Redrum is quite handy for getting ideas out quickly. Battery's envelopes are good and Kontakt 2 has a lot of features, though I've barely used them.

I'm told Short Circuit is quite a good sampler. I'll be keen to check it out when the OS X version finally appears.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

All good,
But don't you guys like to use MIDI until the track is complete up to basic mixdown, then knock it all down to audio once everything is perfect (or your rolls are in the right order/velocity is perfect on everything, etc) - just so, in the intial stages, you can edit things easier?
(Redrum is good for this if your using the Reason sequencer - but I hate the Reason sequencer, (all except the 'copy to track' function) and use protools as my main sequencer - via re-wire.

I used to work with just audio for drums too - but MIDI allows for a lot more change if you finish your tune, then realize something aint right.
I like that option of being able to go back and tune/re-edit things with relative ease.

Hence me wanting to use something that prints the midi data from the drum machine to the sequencer very quickly.

From what I've seen of Guru - this might be the one. Just had quick play then - but I may be wrong.
Will give it a red hot tonight.
8)
Last edited by Little Evil on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

cubase audio channel
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

I stopped using stylus a while back

i question the quality of the loops - but thats just me and its all subjective so Stylus users dont jump on me - i dont care :lol:

Guru's kits are naff, and for the most part unusable untill you adjust the levels and tuning within, hats are louder than kick etc.. its all backwards..

pretty much all audio across multiple channells over here
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Fruity Loops
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

black star wrote:Fruity Loops
Ol' Fruity's aye?

Good program Fruity's... 'cept my version fucks with my registry so it is currently uninstalled.
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

Notice how, noone has mentioned how there machine/Program sounds ?

mainly just talked about features / useability

Interesting..
flippo

Post by flippo »

that's probably got more to do with what you feed it and how you drive it really.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

agreed
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

Little Evil wrote:All good,
But don't you guys like to use MIDI until the track is complete up to basic mixdown, then knock it all down to audio once everything is perfect (or your rolls are in the right order/velocity is perfect on everything, etc) - just so, in the intial stages, you can edit things easier?
(Redrum is good for this if your using the Reason sequencer - but I hate the Reason sequencer, (all except the 'copy to track' function) and use protools as my main sequencer - via re-wire.

I used to work with just audio for drums too - but MIDI allows for a lot more change if you finish your tune, then realize something aint right.
I like that option of being able to go back and tune/re-edit things with relative ease.

Hence me wanting to use something that prints the midi data from the drum machine to the sequencer very quickly.

From what I've seen of Guru - this might be the one. Just had quick play then - but I may be wrong.
Will give it a red hot tonight.
8)
i think most mean having each individual hit as audio, which means it's just as easy to shift around as a midi note if it aint right
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Even at the mixdown stage I leave my drums as MIDI - they're the only thing I don't bounce to audio as I like being able to play with fills right up till the end.

I use Battery w/Ableton Live, but the way I set up my channels is:

MIDI Kick
MIDI Snare
MIDI Hats
MIDI Clap
Battery
AUDIO Kick
AUDIO Snare
AUDIO Hats
AUDIO Clap

I route all the MIDI channels into the Battery channel which has the Battery VST instance on it, then route the kick to Battery audio out 3/4, snare to 5/6, etc. Then set the audio in on the AUDIO Kick to be battery audio out 3/4, AUDIO Snare to 5/6 etc.

That way I've got separate MIDI channels for each drum part, one instance of Battery to tweak everything in, and the ability to put individual compressors/processing on each drum part afterwards.

I've heard good things about FruityLoops if you prefer a step-based sequencer.
Luka

Post by Luka »

ultrabeat
problem child
messycreations
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Direktor wrote:
black star wrote:Fruity Loops
Ol' Fruity's aye?

Good program Fruity's... 'cept my version fucks with my registry so it is currently uninstalled.
what version? windows XP?
I've had the same dramas.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah I've got XP SP2.

Not sure on the version of Fruity's though mate... I load her up (it's a crack) and it run's in demo mode, then if I click the registry file (which I shouldn't, I know) - it registers the product to Jenny somone - work's a treat, but my other app's shit themselves.
Stands to reason when you're messing with the registry.
llupa

Post by llupa »

Little Evil wrote: (Redrum is good for this if your using the Reason sequencer - but I hate the Reason sequencer, (all except the 'copy to track' function) and use protools as my main sequencer - via re-wire.
I use Logic to run the midi that triggers Redrum via rewire - works great. Get the the simple 'sample' management, with the midi capabilities of logic. Then each channel on Redrum plugs straight into an audio channel in Logic - 20 in all, so I can use all the logic FX and automation.

seems to work well for me
mrj

Post by mrj »

a1studmuffin wrote:Even at the mixdown stage I leave my drums as MIDI - they're the only thing I don't bounce to audio as I like being able to play with fills right up till the end.

MIDI Kick
MIDI Snare
MIDI Hats
MIDI Clap
Battery
AUDIO Kick
AUDIO Snare
AUDIO Hats
AUDIO Clap

I route all the MIDI channels into the Battery channel which has the Battery VST instance on it, then route the kick to Battery audio out 3/4, snare to 5/6, etc. Then set the audio in on the AUDIO Kick to be battery audio out 3/4, AUDIO Snare to 5/6 etc.

That way I've got separate MIDI channels for each drum part, one instance of Battery to tweak everything in, and the ability to put individual compressors/processing on each drum part afterwards.

This makes intuitive sense. smart way to do things IMO.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
jenny

Post by jenny »

Direktor wrote:, then if I click the registry file (which I shouldn't, I know) - it registers the product to Jenny somone - work's a treat, but my other app's shit themselves..
Tee hee

Sorry about that. I stuffed up the crack because I was too busy looking at myself in the mirror and pouting every thirty seconds :giggle:

Still, a girls got to look her best. :pout:
don't ask me, Im just a girl
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

jenny wrote:
Direktor wrote:, then if I click the registry file (which I shouldn't, I know) - it registers the product to Jenny somone - work's a treat, but my other app's shit themselves..
Tee hee

Sorry about that. I stuffed up the crack because I was too busy looking at myself in the mirror and pouting every thirty seconds :giggle:

Still, a girls got to look her best. :pout:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Smile on Impact

flippo wrote:that's probably got more to do with what you feed it and how you drive it really.
Not tryin to kill a point. but Madtracker2 sounds a hit load differant to Fruity loops. even with the same samples.
flippo

Post by flippo »

mrj wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:Even at the mixdown stage I leave my drums as MIDI - they're the only thing I don't bounce to audio as I like being able to play with fills right up till the end.

MIDI Kick
MIDI Snare
MIDI Hats
MIDI Clap
Battery
AUDIO Kick
AUDIO Snare
AUDIO Hats
AUDIO Clap

whena re we going to hear some of your creations man?
flippo

Post by flippo »

feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:
flippo wrote:that's probably got more to do with what you feed it and how you drive it really.
Not tryin to kill a point. but Madtracker2 sounds a hit load differant to Fruity loops. even with the same samples.
odd. Same pattern/tempo? no manipulation?
Smile on Impact

flippo wrote:
feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:
odd. Same pattern/tempo? no manipulation?
Trackers, like MT2 are just damn Crunchy. that's why I use it.

It's like how a sampler sounds differant to software.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

flippo wrote:
mrj wrote:

MIDI Kick
MIDI Snare
MIDI Hats
MIDI Clap
Battery
AUDIO Kick
AUDIO Snare
AUDIO Hats
AUDIO Clap

whena re we going to hear some of your creations man?
Who, me? Check my Myspace pages :)
flippo

Post by flippo »

no no I've heard yours, I meant MRJ. :) I've seen him buzzing around productio forum a little.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Where's yours flippo? :)
marcus

Post by marcus »

On stuff drum programming related, this thread is a sticky in the ITM production forum:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showth ... p?t=193415
TheBrains

Post by TheBrains »

I have a question:

Anybody using an electronic kit?

I've seen electronic kits for 700 new and want one for drum programming (and screwing around on).

I can play a bit and I know two decent drummers who can grove well to a click.

Anybody used one for midi input? Good results or no?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

TheBrains wrote:I have a question:

Anybody using an electronic kit?

I've seen electronic kits for 700 new and want one for drum programming (and screwing around on).

I can play a bit and I know two decent drummers who can grove well to a click.

Anybody used one for midi input? Good results or no?
I've thought about getting one.... I mess about on the Alesis DM5 Kit here at work daily, but I'm holding out till the DM5 Pro Kit arrives here shortly and will then make up my mind.
Sure, the pads aren't that of a Roland V - but nor is the price!
The DM5 brain itself though is awesome, Ben Gillies (Silverchair) picked one up the other week. Beauty of electronic kit is the MIDI capabilities and of course the fact that you can live in an apartment block and not upset the neighbours.
Hep

Post by Hep »

MPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...mofo's!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Without a doubt MPC rule, more so for hip-hop than anything else (unless you're just using it as a controller) but I'd much rather an electronic kit any day.
flippo

Post by flippo »

fuck ive never though about an electric kit for midi.... im just thinking now how wicked it would be
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Or for the realists out there w/out room or coin, this fella should be landing in the country within the month, and you can hit it with your hands or sticks... as in that junglist on Youtube a few months back:

Will be RRPing under $499inc.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=103
almax

Post by almax »

Hep wrote:MPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...mofo's!
scripticles
lynt

Post by lynt »

Battery + my microKontroller w/ drum pads, sound as a pound. All midi.

I also use Battery as my sampler if it's fitting.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Lyntos, have you got all the battery drums libraries ?
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

lynt

Post by lynt »

Nope
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

Direktor wrote:Or for the realists out there w/out room or coin, this fella should be landing in the country within the month, and you can hit it with your hands or sticks... as in that junglist on Youtube a few months back:

Will be RRPing under $499inc.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=103
been eyeing one of those off for quite some time - i figure its only a midi controller, surely they couldnt have fucked that up

and they are half the price of a roland unit too - i think they'd be the goods
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

why do you snowie??

i got the:

studio drums set
electronic set 1 & 2 (forget what they are called)

if you have the new battery 3 kits - i will be round for the hookup
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

^^ Luko, Get your arse over biarch

Karl, i'll catch you at Anytime mate, with a cd of goodness.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ooh.... CD of goodness...

If that's your home movie CD Snowman, I'd rename it mate as I didn't find it to be a CD of goodness.