Best place to buy monitors in Melbourne?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
a1studmuffin

Best place to buy monitors in Melbourne?

Post by a1studmuffin »

I'll be in the market for a pair of Mackie HR824s when I get back to Melbourne. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get a pair. I don't mind if I have to wait a couple of weeks, so getting them from overseas or somewhere else in Oz is on the cards.

Can anyone recommend some competitive retailers in Melbourne/online websites that might be worth checking out? I only know of Allans Music which are a total rip.

Also, if I get active speakers from say the US, will I need a power transformer? Or can I just swap the power cables for ones that fit aussie plugs? Or will that go bang?

And will I have to pay customs tax?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

EDIT: double post.
Last edited by Direkt on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

i have found the guys down at awave to be really helpful :wink:

either that or go see Direktor ^^ at Factory Sound

they are the only two places in town, they both stock different products obviously so it depends what your after as to where you head ;)

on a side note, you coming to Melbourne mate? are you an ex-pat returning or coming over here for a holdiday?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'm not at Factory Sound, but it's a good store nonetheless.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

LAUL!!1!
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

arent ya mate? sh*t i thought you were..

either way my comments stand, Factory Sound or awave :wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Electric Factory be my joint - but we're wholesale distributors, not retailers as such.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Thanks for the info lads.

For those interested, I did a bit of hunting yesterday on Googizzle and came up with the following links:

www.majormusic.com.au
www.allansmusic.com.au
www.storedj.com.au
www.awave.com.au
www.soundcorp.com.au

Looks like someone there should be able to meet my needs.

And now, onto some more monitor discussion, which every production forum needs more of... ;)

I did a bit of research on the monitors that people have recommended/that I was interested in. I'm just after the flattest, widest frequency response I can get, with the best value for money. Here's what I found, listed in order of quality (and price, unsurprisingly):

Mackie HR824: A$1,999.00 - Listed once at 39 to 22kHz (±1.5 dB), once at ±1.5 dB, 39Hz to20kHz. The official Mackie catalogue lists it as 39 Hz–20 kHz, ±1.5 dB. There's external evidence to back this up too:

http://mixguides.com/studiomonitors/Rev ... itors-498/

Now that sure is flat. But twice the price of other monitors.

KRK RP8: A$959.00 (storedj) - The official KRK product catalogue lists it as 45Hz -20kHz +/- 1.5dB.

Pretty good value for the price, very even response, but a little short on the bass end.

Rubicon 8A: A$899.00 - 40Hz - 27KHz (±3 dB), although I didn't find the official product catalogue, this info came from a retailer.

A decent freq range but the deviation of the response curve is twice as bad as the other two. Plus they're ribbon monitors, which I've heard can make things sound a little sweeter than they actually are, something I want to avoid. All I want is something that lays out my mixes bare.

Conclusion: I reaaally want to go with the Mackies, but at twice the price I'm going to have a hard time justifying it. So maybe I'll get the KRK RP8s. Regardless, I'm spending an extra A$1000 on some acoustic treatment - probably an Auralex Roominator kit, plus a few bails of fluffy fiberglass stacked to the ceiling in the corners of the room to even out the bass, as I'll probably be setting up in a reasonably small spare room.

It's a lot of money - A$3000 - but hopefully the results will be worth it. I'm just sick to death of having to go back and tweak mixes over and over because they don't translate well. Can't wait. :D
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Hey man. Do u know where u can buy the rolls of fluffy fiberglass? I looked around but couldn't find anywhere that sells it in rolls. Or does anyone have tools and interested in making bass traps one day?
llupa

Post by llupa »

a1studmuffin wrote: I reaaally want to go with the Mackies, but at twice the price I'm going to have a hard time justifying it. So maybe I'll get the KRK RP8s. Regardless, I'm spending an extra A$1000 on some acoustic treatment - probably an Auralex Roominator kit, plus a few bails of fluffy fiberglass stacked to the ceiling in the corners of the room to even out the bass, as I'll probably be setting up in a reasonably small spare room.

It's a lot of money - A$3000 - but hopefully the results will be worth it. I'm just sick to death of having to go back and tweak mixes over and over because they don't translate well. Can't wait. :D

mmmmm, jealous.....

Mate has the RP8's and they are sweet, he coupled them with the 10' sub and it's a v nice sound. as a result I reckon his mixes have gotten a lot cleaner.

out of curiosity - nobody rates Mannys as a store? It's the only one I know of as I pass it on the way to Brunswick st.

re. import tax - I imported my Virus from NZ and got hit with the duty charge. I imported 2 x Electrix units from the states and did not. I think it just depends on how you label it and seriously, how big and noticeable the item is - random I know

re. power supply - you should be able to check the online manual of the monitor for this info?

Tom
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

As I've said before, don't buy the Rubicon 8A's. They have an overly exaggerated bass response.

5A's or 6A's will suit, add a sub if it's bass-heavy music you're writing.... which you most likely are...

PS: I really think you would be a fool to be basing your purchases on manufacturers spec's... go into a store and have a listen. Even better, go into more than one store - and A/B all the monitors in your budget's price-range - and then have a word to the reputable salesman.
It's always a good idea to take a CD with you that you know extremely well.
Last edited by Direkt on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

RE: import tax.

If the total sum of the item is under $1,000 - you shouldn't have to pay import tax.

If it's over you will, and you'll most likely have to have it cleared through customs.

However, there are different import agreements with different countries, and it is dependent on the actual product being imported.

Re: Manny's.

They're a good store IMO. They have a nice hi-tech area upstairs.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

mannys shit me, the sales guys can be real pricks - that attidue of "if you dont know as much as me you aren't worth my time"

there is an good, custom designed monitor demo room at soundcorp in sth melb, but most of them are more on the exxy side
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

Cubist wrote:Hey man. Do u know where u can buy the rolls of fluffy fiberglass? I looked around but couldn't find anywhere that sells it in rolls. Or does anyone have tools and interested in making bass traps one day?
you want rigid fibreglass...not fluffy
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Seen. But I don't have tools...Anyone?
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Cubist wrote:Hey man. Do u know where u can buy the rolls of fluffy fiberglass? I looked around but couldn't find anywhere that sells it in rolls. Or does anyone have tools and interested in making bass traps one day?
cubist, go to bunnings, and ask the bloke their where "expansion joint foam" is,

it comes in about 12 cm strips, about 2cm thick, and about 10metres loan.'

it's styrofoam/polyester.... erm.... think of the stuff laptops and expensive shit is "caged" in a box if it is mailed long distance....

this might be a cheaper alternative. I'm no audiophobe, so not sure if this kinda foam would surve your purpose, but is is cheap and gos a long way.....
Lephrenic

Monitors

Post by Lephrenic »

Adam A7 and Dynaudio BM5 or BM6 are pretty sweet. Genelecs are good too. The ribbons in the Adam monitors are way better than the Rubicons.

However, I listened to the Dynaudio BM6's and the PMC TB2s side by side at Manny's and the difference was incredible. As expensive as the TB2s were, I could not go back to anything else after hearing them. So if you don't want to spend that much, I'd say don't listen to the PMC's. :lol:

Also, whatever brand you choose, keep an eye on ex-demo lists. I saved $600 off the price of my PMC's by buying display models - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with them at all.
Direkt

Re: Monitors

Post by Direkt »

Special Hegg wrote: The ribbons in the Adam monitors are way better than the Rubicons.
They probably are mate, I haven't heard the Adam's. But out of curiosity, what's the price difference?
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

LuKo wrote:
you want rigid fibreglass...not fluffy
Actually, that's not strictly true.

You want rigid fibreglass for most applications, but the fluffy fibreglass is still useful too, it's just less dense than the rigid fibreglass, so you need more of it to absorb at lower frequencies. If you make a bass trap in a corner with rigid fibreglass, stuffing the cavity behind it with fluffy fibreglass will improve the bass absorption. Similarly, you can make really cheap bass traps by simply buying the big rolls of fluffy fibreglass and putting them in the corners of your room, still wrapped up in their original plastic. Stack them to the ceiling for best results. And cover them with fabric for aesthetic reasons. ;)

Cubist: I haven't done my homework yet, but I was under the impression most home insulation companies in Melbourne/Australia sold both fluffy fibreglass, and rigid fibreglass in batts. Although I've seen it named a variety of things, from mineralwool to glasswool, rockwool, fibreglass insulation, etc. I'm not 100% sure if they're all identical though. And I haven't actually verified anywhere sells it in rolls.

I'm definitely keen for making some traps though when I get back - If you are too (and anyone else is), we can buy the materials in bulk and save a bit?

I've been looking at the Auralex D108L roominator kit though - you can buy that from the US (AudioMIDI) for US$599 + shipping (say US$100 for fed ex?). That still weighs in at about AU$850, so you should be able to import it without taking the hit for customs tax! That's a *hell* of a lot cheaper than the retail price it sells for in Oz, which is around AU$1500! Definitely gunna do this when I get home, combined with a couple of rolls of fluffy fibreglass in the corners.
RK

Post by RK »

ac23 wrote:
Cubist wrote:Seen. But I don't have tools...Anyone?
dikhead

weve spoke about this

ill do em forya, just buy the shit

x
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Give that grumpy man a spliff ffs
On the mish.....
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I've seen quite a lot of computer shops selling monitors. watch the plasma ones, they use more electricity to power up.
almax

Post by almax »

black star wrote:I've seen quite a lot of computer shops selling monitors. watch the plasma ones, they use more electricity to power up.
yeah and more electricity means more dead penguins
Stray

Post by Stray »

almax wrote:
black star wrote:I've seen quite a lot of computer shops selling monitors. watch the plasma ones, they use more electricity to power up.
My monitor is rated to 3 penguins.

Doesn't anyone rate Arc in nth melbourne? Best customer service the dude is super nice and really helpful.
downtime

Post by downtime »

a1studmuffin wrote:still wrapped up in their original plastic.
yeah don't take it out and put it in ya room cause it is a skin/lung irritant and possible carcinogen... nasty...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Stray wrote:
almax wrote:
My monitor is rated to 3 penguins.

Doesn't anyone rate Arc in nth melbourne? Best customer service the dude is super nice and really helpful.
Definately, Mark @ Arck is a top bloke.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Yeah Marcs the guy to see if you got any questions I reacon. He's moved to Nicholson St Brunswick now...Up the top end.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

downtime wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:still wrapped up in their original plastic.
yeah don't take it out and put it in ya room cause it is a skin/lung irritant and possible carcinogen... nasty...
Yeah, all the DIY guides I've read suggest wearing a mask + gloves while you handle the stuff. Apparently though if you cover it with fabric and it doesn't get disturbed a lot (and why would it really when it's finally mounted on the wall/ceiling etc), it's all good. I guess the fluffy stuff is going to be more likely to escape into the air/on your skin etc.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Direktor wrote:
Special Hegg wrote: The ribbons in the Adam monitors are way better than the Rubicons.
They probably are mate, I haven't heard the Adam's. But out of curiosity, what's the price difference?
All I know is Soundcorp do the Adam A7's for about $1600 odd.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Special Hegg wrote:
Direktor wrote:
All I know is Soundcorp do the Adam A7's for about $1600 odd.
Yeah, as I figured - more than double the price.

I'm sure they're very nice all the same - but you can't really compare monitors in two completely different price brackets.
It'd be like comparing a massive Nexo rig to a clock radio.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Don't get the clock radio. Terrible bass response.

;)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

... although if your tracks get played early morning, you might find people are waking up to your music, thinking "DAMN!!! This track is TIGHT!"
flippo

Post by flippo »

so finaly got some monitors :D. Feel like a real producer now hah.

Went into town expecting to probably get KRK P8's, but after listening to more expensive monitors they sounded a bit skunty in the midrange.

Narrowed it down to events, mackies and dynaudios. Ended up getting the DYNAUDIO BM12A's, which is their newer 8".

Just some notes relavent to the thread: the guys at AWAVE gave me a great deal. Also found that mannys and factory sound guys were super helpful too, just didnt happen to have the speakers I descided on in stock. They would have matched the price though. Kinda difficult to properly audition monitors at Allans, with all the monitors being in the same room as the drums/customers/checkout etc. Can wait for a quiet moment but still, not the best.

..... oh and I forgot the XLR-1/4 cables so haven't been able to use them yet :doh:
Fents

Post by Fents »

+1 for awave. brought a usb sound card for a mate for his b'day. super helpfull and great price.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

flippo wrote: Narrowed it down to events, mackies and dynaudios. Ended up getting the DYNAUDIO BM12A's, which is their newer 8".
Nice! How much?
flippo

Post by flippo »

$2900.

still pretty fucken serious money dispite the good deal, lol.

I liked the sound of them more than the more expeinsive genelcs. The genlecs had a wicked stereo image but I dunno they seemed realy excited and overly dynamic? Snares were jumping out at me, while pads and FX seemed to hide behind everything. I'm not even sure if monitors can do that lol but, that's how it sounded to me. Felt like I'd end up drowning everything in reverb and having real quiet snares if I was going mix on them. Also the bass was nice but once you stared getting down to the low low subs that I like to write with it was a bit iffy.

Alot of peeps were really pushing the genelecs on me, seem to be a bit of a holy grail of 'pro-sumer' moniters. Everyone likes different tastes though I guess, based on what they have gotten used to, what they like music to sound like, shape of ears or whatever heh.

Interestingly no one was really that interested in selling me events (which spherix swears by), salesmen seemed to think they aren't really a 'name' brand. I recon they sounded pretty awesome though, even if a little bit hi-fi in the extreme ends of the spectrum. They shat on the mackies imo.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Word... sounds like some very wise purchasing there my friend, well done.
deviant

Post by deviant »

flippo wrote:I'm not even sure if monitors can do that lol but, that's how it sounded to me.
it was probably ableton live

where's your logic? you left it behind didn't you?
flippo

Post by flippo »

deviant wrote:
flippo wrote:I'm not even sure if monitors can do that lol but, that's how it sounded to me.
it was probably ableton live

where's your logic? you left it behind didn't you?
that was it!

It's either that they just have alot of dynamics. Louds are quite loud etc. or they present the freqencies in the middle alot more.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

id prolly buy the dyns if i had the $$

ive loved dyns for ages thuogh, have a soft spot from hearing them as hifi speakers

they get bass just so right, but suitably restrained too