The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

C.I.A. wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
fooishbar wrote:tomorrow, up into the french alps (near geneva) for my mate's wedding.
will be back post-haste. had the reception nestled in between two peaks. fed some random swiss cows (white with brown spots) wandering around, all with bells on; honestly, i could listen to that all day. took a long time to move. then drove down the mountain, with a view over geneva (and the enormous but still somehow clear and awesome lake geneva) to the swiss alps, including mont blanc.

plus cool, crisp mountain air.

damnit, why am i back here? (oh yeah, 23h of light.)
Dude!!

When I was little & growing up in the netherlands we went on a holiday to a spot that sounded identical. Cows with bells, massive lake, near geneva.

I strobed out... I had read Heidi and was all 'Ja... Miiiilkaaaa".

One of my favorite memories.

Needs more cowbell.
<3

we were in collonges and divonne-les-bains (tee hee), up monts jura. so in love.
AJ

Post by AJ »

Travelling to Europe in August and like the fool that I am, haven't organised any accomodation. Anyone got suggestions for these places?
Barca
Paris
Berlin
Rome
Venice?

I'm thinking cheap(ish) pensiones or similar.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

AJ wrote:Travelling to Europe in August and like the fool that I am, haven't organised any accomodation. Anyone got suggestions for these places?
Barca
Paris
Berlin
Rome
Venice?

Paris : http://www.hostelworld.com/availability ... Paris-1399

Barca: http://www.hostalrembrandt.com/

:D
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Barca: splurge on an apartment at www.friendlyrentals.com

Berlin: www.circus-berlin.de
If going to be there for a while I would recommend staying a few nights Central and a few nights further into the East. Really cool to see more than one part of this amazing city.
spiral

Post by spiral »

if you are in europe and fancy a party check the teknival listings

http://www.partyvibe.com/vbulletin/show ... hp?t=23275
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Few pics of thew recent Thailand trip:

Ao Leuk, Ko Tao

Sairee beach for sunset soccer and gin.

Mango Shake. Coconut shake. Shake your booty. Shake your booty.

Erawan Falls, Kanchanaburi province.

Tigers. Not highly recommended but make up your own mind...
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

AJ wrote:Travelling to Europe in August and like the fool that I am, haven't organised any accomodation. Anyone got suggestions for these places?
Barca
Paris
Berlin
Rome
Venice?

Just went to every one of those places last September/October.. Will have a think... Here's a few ideas..

Barca I'll find out about this WICKED minimal tech beach party that runs each sunday night, then continues on at an illegal warehouse party.. Fucking sick fun..

Rome/Venice As I discovered the italians LOVE thier dnb. (And other stuff) I got a mate in Rome, massive dnb head, he also rents an appartment so let me know if I can hook you up with him. (4 person room, 2 single beds and a double) If u can, check out Florence as well.. well worth it.

Paris - went to some wicked parties in Paris. a really good breaks one and a dnb one too..

Berlin - Didn't party enough in Berlin (I had to rest after 3 weeks non stop and unfortunately it was in Berlin..) Went to a techno gig there thoug which was small and intimate but the music was fantastic. the people there were interesting... :shock:

When u leaving? PM me if I forget or get slack ... :)

O the memoreis..

dengelman AWESOME photos dude!!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
menace

Post by menace »

ADD BOY
Barca I'll find out about this WICKED minimal tech beach party that runs each sunday night, then continues on at an illegal warehouse party.. Fucking sick fun..

Where the fuck is this place near the port ? on the beach ? or past the new part ?
was in barca at the start of the month .
Was looking for something like this but couldt find fuck all i knew there was some beach partys heard some rummors but could find a thing too many Vol-Damm

im going back in August for another cheeky vist
:wink:
menace

Post by menace »

gnat wrote:do they bottle people in barca?
:lol:

not this time
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

woot just picked up my tickets.. 3 months in barcelona, 3 weeks in morocco, a week in portugal, a month in Thailand.
bring it on!!
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
gnat

Post by gnat »

dan your pics are wicked- thanx for posting em up

those fallls in kanchanaburi look pretty sweet and tiger's head is MASSIVE

is he drugged? :(
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

My friend went to see the tigers and he reckoned they were drugged. :S he had mixed feelings on the place too.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

menace wrote:ADD BOY

Where the fuck is this place near the port ? on the beach ? or past the new part ?
was in barca at the start of the month .
Was looking for something like this but couldt find fuck all i knew there was some beach partys heard some rummors but could find a thing too many Vol-Damm

im going back in August for another cheeky vist
:wink:
It's in Mar Bella dude!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
gnat

Post by gnat »

OK- Thailand in early Nov- is it gonna suck ass and be raining flat out?

Secondly, Kho Samui or Phangan? Both? Thinking maybe straight to KP for few days, in time for half moon party then back to KS for a few then to Krabi. Any recs for places to stay in Krabi?

Prob fly back Krabi to Bangkok too easy w thai airways. should be pretty easy to get from KS back to krabi yeh?

think we'll stay somewhere mackin in KS- gonna need it after big party and sieve brain, otherwise bungalow styles in sweet- post up anywhere you have stayed- much appreciated

It's getting 'citing partic the Laos planning part- can't WAIT
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

gnat wrote:OK- Thailand in early Nov- is it gonna suck ass and be raining flat out?

Secondly, Kho Samui or Phangan? Both? Thinking maybe straight to KP for few days, in time for half moon party then back to KS for a few then to Krabi. Any recs for places to stay in Krabi?

Prob fly back Krabi to Bangkok too easy w thai airways. should be pretty easy to get from KS back to krabi yeh?

think we'll stay somewhere mackin in KS- gonna need it after big party and sieve brain, otherwise bungalow styles in sweet- post up anywhere you have stayed- much appreciated

It's getting 'citing partic the Laos planning part- can't WAIT
Whether is hit and miss in Nov. There are seperate wet seasons for each cost of Thailand. I was there mid Nov until end Dec mainly on the west cost side and only have one day of rain.

Krabi is beautiful but pretty sleepy. I reckon you'd probbaly have more fun in the Koh's.. more action there for shonkyness.

I think i still have my lonely P Thailand if youwant to borrow it?

Ahh Thailand

gnat

Post by gnat »

thnx lady

yeh i imagined krabi to be pretty quiet- prob just go for a night you reckon? gotta see it!

the kho's are exactly what we're gonna be up for- shonky randomness, beers on beach, sunshine and tunes for reunion stylez with the kids

got plenty of downtime in laos before we get to thailand so it'll be batter up :smt066

i gots the SE asia lonely planet thanx lady and have been checking travelfish but just asking you kids in case they're lying

well really becoz you are shonks too and shonks know what shonks want
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

spiral wrote:if you are in europe and fancy a party check the teknival listings

http://www.partyvibe.com/vbulletin/show ... hp?t=23275
mmm, cheers.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

i'd say ditch ko samui.

better shonk-abilities and like-mindedness on phangan i'd say. and plenty of gorgeous beaches to get away from loud groups of poms/ozzies if needed. samui big enough to be diverse, but still mainly resort and family oriented, and more expensive.

side trip to ko tao recommended. haven't been to krabi, luckily chose against that coast in 2005 or may have been no more dengelman (tsunami...). it's actually a fair hike to get from the gulf over to the west. not as close as you may think. transport is so easy in thailand though...

and re the kanchanaburi tigers: tried to get some info but haven't been able to find much. not sure if they were drugged, but were certainly sleepy and not sure how you could untrain or lose such strong predatorial instincts just because born in captivity...
overall it smells dodgy.

happy travels all!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

agree, koh phangan is where its at lady.

oh oh those photos made me pine for thailand.

and i only got back a couple months ago.

:cry:
elysium

Post by elysium »

Just got back from Timor-Leste!

Once this place gets a little more politically stable I highly recommend.

I have heard Tiger Air are going to be doing $80 flights to Darwin and then its just a hop over the Timor Sea on Air North.

The people are so friendly, especially considering what they have been through - and so much of the country is still wild and unspoilt. We got right up into the mountainous country near the border with West Timor and it was simply amazing. And there are great beaches and diving, stunning cycling and trekking opportunities, plus really yummy food. It is a really special place.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Mad.

Was thinking of heading there but waiting for shit to settle a little...

Flight prices will need to come down in order for people to go there over established places in SE asia or Pacific.
gnat

Post by gnat »

mad tips on here thnx kids

re krabi from ko samui hrm.. not really up for 8 hour train journeys- that's sitting on beach drinking beers in sun time wasted

got some tips also from mate who spent a month in laos- apparently mad quartz waterfall and tiered rockpools out of luang prabang- kuang sai falls. sounds awesome. you been dengels?

no 17 day old chick eggs for me though. that is filth- chook embryo in hard boiled goog- wrongtown

pass the opium pipe tho :smt025

timor-leste sounds interesting.. nais one elly
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i'm travel insurance hunting.
need three months cover for europe, preferably including russia.
am traveling with about four grands worth of music gear, so i should be in the cheap bracket with most companies but am pretty keen to find one that will actually pay up if my shit gets stolen or i get sick, hit by a bus etc.

had bad experiences with covermore in the past

suggestions?
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

gnat wrote:re krabi from ko samui hrm.. not really up for 8 hour train journeys- that's sitting on beach drinking beers in sun time wasted

got some tips also from mate who spent a month in laos- apparently mad quartz waterfall and tiered rockpools out of luang prabang- kuang sai falls. sounds awesome. you been dengels?
...think it was probably this one.

Sorry about the goon spoiling the photos, couldn't find any others. :oops:

It was a really nice spot, probably nicer than shown in those pics. Heaps of different falls with some easy walking tracks connecting.

Easy day trip from Luang Prabang, just grab a couple others and hire a taxi-truck.

I think I lost that jacket the same day. Chased out of random guesthouse by lady with a broom, very trashed and without shoes or said jacket for breaking the 11pm curfew...
gnat

Post by gnat »

ah nice one and lol at 'goon'

awesome

bridge to kuang si:

:?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

unsoundbwoy wrote:i'm travel insurance hunting.
am traveling with about four grands worth of music gear, so i should be in the cheap bracket with most companies but am pretty keen to find one that will actually pay up if my shit gets stolen or i get sick, hit by a bus etc.

suggestions?
i went with travelinsurancedirect.com on my last trip. looks comprehensive from what i could tell, but i'm about to make a couple of claims, so we'll see how we go.

was well cheap which was my motivation for going with them...certainly nothing much if value to take into consideration...but check them out perhaps.
gnat

Post by gnat »

hrm, looking to book accom in southern thailand

on my radar are panviman in kho phangan- away from all the full moon ruckus

http://www.r24.org/travelfish.org/kohph ... /pictures/

and in kho samui

al's resort:

http://www.samui-hotels.com/alsresort/facilities.htm

where have people stayed in ko samui? we'll only be there a few nights and want busy, music, bustle after being in secludo on ko phangan
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

stovequeen wrote:Ahh Thailand

I think about this photo daily. I've never particularly wanted to travel to any Asian countries, but this pic is driving me to distraction.

want want want to be there. Where was this one taken?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

taken off Koh Phi Phi :D
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Thanks sweetie *writesitdown*
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

^ My front lawn for 10 days :love:

^ My dining room :D
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

simply stunning! I've looked up heaps of islands and shiz but I've never seen water that colour before. What time of year was it?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fucking hell Fi - I wanna go there now!

So due for a holiday... been a long year, got 5 weeks racked up.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

I got loads more pics too!

I went mid November to late December!

I can't wait to get back there.
lynt

Post by lynt »

:love: Koh Phi Phi!

Sad thing is, 2 weeks after these photos were taken - this entire scene was a disaster area. Shocking.

Mad love for the Phi Phi peeps.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Awesome.

What's the best time of the year to go for the best combination of:

*Least amount of tourists
*Good weather
*Reasonable prices?

So want to go.

EDIT: not awesome about the damage that occurred - but in reference to the lovely photos.
lynt

Post by lynt »

I was there in December, was mad.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hmmm... that's definately do-able... although school holidays will be in full-effect 'round then.
gnat

Post by gnat »

we're going in november direktor- might see ya at the full moon party lol

bring it!
lynt

Post by lynt »

Ya'll should speak to Mr Lob, he goes every year - has the knowledge.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Sweet pics SQ and Lynt!

Bring the warmth!

Direktor: Anything in our Summer is pretty damn packed, but you can usually find somewhere if you are not fussy...
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

october is aight too ...
not quite as bust as december ...
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

hey,

in pokhara having a ball, thanks for all the nepal tips Gnat they have been great. Didn't get an ice cream container full but have been very happy anyway!

The weather has been surprisingly great, have been rafting, swimming, motorbiking and mountain biking and eating stacks of great food, really love Kathmandu too. Got a bit off a :shock: moment when i got offered a happy finish to my nepali massage though (I rapidly decllined and retreated, to save the innueno and quoting)!

Off to Chitwan national park next, then to India on the 25th of July. Hope everyone is doing well, some photos of the trip so far (excuse the cheesy couple for the relo's!).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68674739@N00/
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

cj the taniwha wrote:hey,

in pokhara having a ball, thanks for all the nepal tips Gnat they have been great. Didn't get an ice cream container full but have been very happy anyway!

The weather has been surprisingly great, have been rafting, swimming, motorbiking and mountain biking and eating stacks of great food, really love Kathmandu too. Got a bit off a :shock: moment when i got offered a happy finish to my nepali massage though (I rapidly decllined and retreated, to save the innueno and quoting)!

Off to Chitwan national park next, then to India on the 25th of July. Hope everyone is doing well, some photos of the trip so far (excuse the cheesy couple for the relo's!).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68674739@N00/
hey CJ

Was wondering when you were going to check in. Sounds like you are having an amazing time. Say hi to Tara from me :D

EDIT: your photos are amazing dude. thanks so much for sharing these with us
gnat

Post by gnat »

dude- some awesome shots on there! keep putting em up hey- i love looking at travel pics

pokhara rocks yah- did you go to teatime cafe? raft with drift? lol at icecream bucket and happy finish

ahh, makes me travelsick bad

walk out on the river flats in chitwan and wash the elephants with the kids if you get a chance

enjoy the bugs! mossie net ftw!

xx be safe, have fun kids
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Amazing pics CJ, looks like you kids are having a ball 8)

Big love to youse, looking forward to some more travel diaries :D
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

can anyone recommend anywhere specific to stay on phi phi in late january/february? reasonably priced, not looking for crazy nightlife, just close to the beach and activities.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

sneaky hands wrote:can anyone recommend anywhere specific to stay on phi phi in late january/february? reasonably priced, not looking for crazy nightlife, just close to the beach and activities.
I stayed here http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/160 ... tid=107913. Another link here http://www.phi-phi.com/hotel/thailand/k ... hi-island/

Really beautiful, plush, quiet and reasonably priced. It's on the door step of the best reefs and perfect if you only have a few days there IMO.

The only thing you need to consider is that the resort is about a 15 min long tail ride away from the main part of Phi Phi (which i liked as i was only interested in diving when i was there). So if you want to head out for dinner, drinks etc in main street then you'll need to leave to come back to the resort before the sun sets.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

unsoundbwoy wrote:i'm travel insurance hunting.

suggestions?
PM Sammy (Lil MiSbreaks)

she works in Insurance and gets half price travel insurance
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
resist

Post by resist »

dengelman wrote:i'd say ditch ko samui.
Agreed... It was my least fave place in Thailand.