Has anyone here set up their own music label?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Jemgirl

Has anyone here set up their own music label?

Post by Jemgirl »

Some basic info on setting up a label, what's involved and how it compares to being on an existing bigger name label who know their stuff, advertising and marketing power etc. would be really helpful. Such as how do start up labels go about advertising and getting their music out to the peoples? And any other helpful tips and info.

Jemgirl

http://myspace.com/gimmixmusik
Stray

Post by Stray »

a1studmuffin has set up his own label.. but he won't be on here for a few weeks as he's currently jetting around the world

:jealous:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Yah PM me if you need any info... but to be honest if it´s just a net label you´re setting up with a handful of artists, you can pretty much just bumble your way through it without too much trouble. If you want to set up something for CD/vinyl releases with a wider selection of artists its a bit more time consuming and expensive. Our label is trickery collective - www.trickerycollective.com
RK

Post by RK »

Maybe hit up my boys at Hells Basment. might not get a reply for a couple of weeks due to touring and work commitments, but they're up to their 4th vinyl release, distro through load media etc. Proper. www.myspace.com/hellsbassment
On the mish.....
mrj

Post by mrj »

Maybe contact Simon at Evergreen as well. Am sure he could provide some tips
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

I've started up a local indie label The Grey Sea Recordings, first release was just promo but for CD the cheapest route is Dual Plover in Sydney, 500 discs with 4 page booklet and front back covers and disc printing full colour for around $350 including postage..

CDs are hard to move though. Good for the odd compilation release but you really want to digitally market music and also do vinyl preferably.. but remember vinyl is going to start losing out to full quality downloads for a dollar or two soon.. a lot of people moving to Serato.

Look at ways to sell your own .wavs...

It would be nice if people could just use this thread to put ideas and suggestions and ask questions..

I know I sure need a lot of help.

Was considering doing the NEIS scheme but you need to make 8K per quarter.. a little optimistic for a music label with no capitol!!

A small business course would obviously help you know what you need to do as far as a business plan and everything.

You can either just start the crap up and get stuff out there best you can or you can spend the year or two organising everything to take over the world to the best of your abilities. I think the best approach is a combination.
triob0t

Post by triob0t »

www.trio-music.de --> vinyl + digital [Tilt + T-Files], free mp3 [T-FREE], radio [DMF], events [iDrums]...

tactik

Post by tactik »

As for the NEIS scheme... the financial plans they ask you to create are really just stabs in the dark... They aren't binding in any way as the teachers and associates realise that it's nearly impossible to make anywhere near exacting financial assumptions based on possible future business etc..etc..

My mate even had one of the teachers say " Look it's not for us - we understand the situation, it's only to satisfy the governmental criteria. "

Don't completely overblow it though (gonna make a $million, etc), as if you miss your stated income by a massive margin, then they'll ask whats going on - but then you simply reiterate that your financial plans were purely speculative.
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

sweet - i will consider this as soon as capitol is forth coming.. there's not much point trying to release wax with welfare!!
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

currently setting up something with another mate, we come from different areas in the scene, both have good paying jobs (to fund the farker) and have been heavily involved in the scene in our own way via throwing parties etc..

and i would say we are 'just' gonna be able to pull off a half descent digital only release when we are finnally ready

all in all its like opening a can of worms so make sure your enthusiasm levels are peaking before you start ;)
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

:joy: