Pets

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Friday wrote:what about those services that come to you gnatty?

this kinda deal: http://www.petpaws.com.au/Onsite.htm
ooh just saw this lady thank you

i checky

:D
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Friday

Post by Friday »

no worries :)

there are lots of those kinda places. would probably wanna check their references or something if you're gonna be giving them a key to your house - feels slightly dodgy! sure it'd be cool though...
Friday

Post by Friday »

grrrr. ordered an automatic pet feeder about 10 days ago online. the guy said 2-3 days shipping and was aware we're going away this weekend and it hasn't arrived.

we're leaving for meredith at 4pm and don't have anyone to look after our boys. :?

very very annoyed at this guy! :evil:
gnat

Post by gnat »

grrr to that

did ya call and put it up em lady?

i'm still waiting for booktopia delivery too

one month later

grrrr too
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Friday

Post by Friday »

just went up to the po box and it's arrived!! wooo!! now i just have to read the manual and work out how to use the bloody thing.

looks very confusing :P
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Friday wrote:just went up to the po box and it's arrived!! wooo!! now i just have to read the manual and work out how to use the bloody thing.

looks very confusing :P
let me know how it goes, we wanted to get one, but i worry the boy will eat till it is gone
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I think they dispense a certain amount at a set interval, so they can't just woof down the lot in one do ;)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Friday

Post by Friday »

exactly ;)

this is what we got:

http://www.petportions.com.au/default.asp?ID=196423

[img]http://www.petportions.com.au/_framewor ... 32.gif[img]

has four section that open on timer. so it can be breakfast and dinner for two days...

we have a friend dropping in tomorrow night as well now though just to make sure it's opened and the boys aren't starving![/img]
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

it even has voice recording & playback!

"Oi, Junior, wake up, ya food's ready"
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol:

i reckon i'm just going to record the sound if a spoon banging on some ceramic and they'll freak!!

it's so funny to watch them fast asleep and as soon as they hear that sound they're up and racing down the passageway :P
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

ah cool, friends had one where you put the bag of dry etc in there and then they help themselves....

cept one of his kitty's loved dry so much it ate it all in one sitting........

Oscar the pig would do this
nic

Post by nic »

Lauer

Post by Lauer »

rather late update on my cat... Ended up getting her leg amputated, it was very close to the spine so was pretty full on. Havn't seen her this happy in a long time, something tells me this cancer had been there for a long time and was giving her grief. She has quickly got the hang of it all and is better than ever, still dont know how gone the cancer is will know soon. I dont think my mum can really afford more radiation therapy...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Lauer wrote:rather late update on my cat... Ended up getting her leg amputated, it was very close to the spine so was pretty full on. Havn't seen her this happy in a long time, something tells me this cancer had been there for a long time and was giving her grief. She has quickly got the hang of it all and is better than ever, still dont know how gone the cancer is will know soon. I dont think my mum can really afford more radiation therapy...
I hope it's all good from here Lauer, very glad to hear a happy update :D
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
mecka

Post by mecka »

my pups forgotten who I am since I moved.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

mecka wrote:Image

my pups forgotten who I am since I moved.

tooo cute! :smt049
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

mixtress wrote:
Lauer wrote:rather late update on my cat... Ended up getting her leg amputated, it was very close to the spine so was pretty full on. Havn't seen her this happy in a long time, something tells me this cancer had been there for a long time and was giving her grief. She has quickly got the hang of it all and is better than ever, still dont know how gone the cancer is will know soon. I dont think my mum can really afford more radiation therapy...
I hope it's all good from here Lauer, very glad to hear a happy update :D
Sadly not, got her checked again yesterday and its come back very very aggressivly :( . At least she got some extra time at life..dont really know how much longer she would have, a few months would be nice.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Shit Lauer :( Enjoy the time and take heaps of pics. Sorry to hear.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

:smt056 sorry to hear that Lauer... best thing I did is little videos of Uly... I look back at them of a night time - even when he looked really bad he was so beautiful :smt049 ... And now when I find his little whiskers that have embedded themselves in the carpet, it makes me happy to know he still has a presence.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah fuck man....
thoughts are with you...

ive got tatooes of her pawprints and photos in my house, for mowie.
will never forget.
gnat

Post by gnat »

:( laeur

my moj is getting old too- he's 7 in bunny years

but still enthusiastically requesting man in the mirror every morning while i do my hair
mecka

Post by mecka »

My folks were given a new pup. His names Hugo and he's a spanoodle. 8 weeks old.

(edit: I take heaps better photos of animals than I do of people)

deviant

Post by deviant »

sweet pics oli... beautiful dog
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Word, top one's my fave. I want those paws padding my face, too cute!
mecka

Post by mecka »

hes got giant puppy paws as well! they're soft and fluffy.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

mecka wrote:hes got giant puppy paws as well! they're soft and fluffy.
Please dont eat him
...and basically that's the situation
mecka

Post by mecka »

im not gonna eat him mel. hes too cute.

edit, really cant help myself:

gnat

Post by gnat »

ohhhhhh!!!

want that doggie!

he's gorgeous mecka
Friday

Post by Friday »

very cute pup! lovely photos mecka.

sorry to hear about your kitty lauer. very sad :(
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Gorgeous dog Mecka! :)
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
spiral

Post by spiral »

http://saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com/

Resist the temptation to buy that gorgeous kitten or puppy in the window. Because this lucrative pet shop market exists in Australia, backyard breeders and "puppy farms" who supply to pet shops continue to churn out more and more poor puppies and kittens, much to the detriment of the animals.

Approximately 130,000 dogs and 60,000 cats are killed at pounds every year. Unbelievable, eh?

The practice of selling animals from pet shops promotes impulse buying and irresponsible breeding for profit. Please help us to stop it. We already have far too many dogs and cats without homes.
Our Mission At Say No Is To:

* Educate all potential pet owners why they shouldn't buy their companion animals from pet shops
* Lobby Federal and State Government to ban the sale of animals in pet shops

Cute, small breeds are always put in pet shop windows to attract children and impulsive buyers. Pet shop owners are interested in making money, after all, they are running a business. They are not primarily concerned with educating their buyers in properly caring for their new pets or in taking responsibility for their well-being.

And so, new owners go home and soon realise that owning a pet is not all fun or as easy as they thought. Many abandon their pets when the novelty wears off, and these gorgeous little puppies and kittens are now homeless in a pound awaiting a death sentence. Of course not all pound dogs and cats were originally bought from pet shops and discarded, but based on discussions with pounds and rescue centres, observing the breeds that predominate in shelters and statistical logic, it is obvious that many were.

Because this pet shop market exists in Australia, backyard breeders and "puppy farms" continue to churn out more and more poor puppies and kittens, whilst thousands are being killed at the pounds every year.

Please tell your friends/workmates/relatives about our campaign. Please sign
the petition, please buy our stickers, please donate to SAY NO, subscribe to
our e-newsletters, and please ask us to send you a stack of our leaflets to
hand out.
We desperately need to educate the public. Most people say "But that's where
you buy animals from - a pet shop!". They just don't know what's going on.
They'd be horrified if they knew that over 200,000 lovable and homeless
animals have to be euthanised every single year in Australia.
Please also tell everyone you know not to think they are 'rescuing' an
animal from a pet shop when they purchase it? - this only makes way for
others to suffer.? Backyard breeders and puppy farms are making millions
from the constant breeding of animals - with your help we are already making
a big difference.
When looking for an animal companion we say: Please scout all pounds and
shelters first, and if you still (unbelievably) can't find a suitable
companion in these places then go to a registered breeder that has great
word-of-mouth referrals".

"Comments posted here are the views of the various contributors and not necessarily those of SAY NO TO ANIMALS IN PET SHOPS"
gnat

Post by gnat »

my local petshop only sells 12 wk old pups and kittens now and they are all desexed, chipped and vaccinated

makes a spur of the moment decision difficult bcoz a moggy goes for 200-250 bucks

she is also litter training her baby bunnies with our advice

BU maria on sydney rd

we are on the lookout for kittens at the mo- there's 3 people i know who want so we need 4 and pref want to get from same family. gonna hit rspca and lort smith first
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

spiral wrote:"SAY NO TO ANIMALS IN PET SHOPS"
Absolut :scr1pt:

Pound Pooches FTW!!!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

breaksRbest wrote:
my poochy not from pound, but would always tell people to go look @ pound first.
there jsut wastn any puppies when i went a copule times and my clucky insides said "PUPPY NOW!!!"

has anyone got a famous cure all for chewing everythnig in sight puppies?
hes god ropes, bones, toys, but LOVEs our socks, pens, packets of cigs (expensive chewing habit) and tissues.

help?
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Hasn't a big world wide chain of pet stores decided not to sell pets that are bread specifically for the pet stores but rather get them from shelters and sell them for possibly cheaper??

Heard it just before christmas on 3aw... can't seem to find anything about it though.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

ghetto kitty wrote:has anyone got a famous cure all for chewing everythnig in sight puppies?
hes god ropes, bones, toys, but LOVEs our socks, pens, packets of cigs (expensive chewing habit) and tissues.

help?
Are you being a tough love mother Miss Kitty? Don't let Yoshi's "puppy dog eyes" rule the day, he knows just how hard it is for you to resist. Give him chew toys and if he eats anything else, punish him. Subby responds well to me shaking the item in his face, saying 'no' in a very dominant voice and then placing the item back where it belongs.
I'm sure you've probably been doing this but maybe change tack if it's not working properly. Do the item shaking thing, say no and then put him outside for 10 minutes. Needs to learn these things now or he'll still be chewing your favourite kicks at 5yo.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

we have tried that. the back door has lost its ten coats of ranbow paint circa 1946 from his scratching and whining.
we joke that we should have called him 'needy"

someone in our house is alwasy a sucker, even if the others are being tuff.

also, some days he chews something every five minutes.

but yes, okay, just need to harden the fuck up.

:?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ghetto kitty wrote:we have tried that. the back door has lost its ten coats of ranbow paint circa 1946 from his scratching and whining.
we joke that we should have called him 'needy"

someone in our house is alwasy a sucker, even if the others are being tuff.

also, some days he chews something every five minutes.

but yes, okay, just need to harden the fuck up.

:?

yeah ya do. I sent you a PM ages ago with tips from my boy who has had dogs all his life. And you just went yeah yeah pretty much.

you need to do stern voice, hit em on the nose and kick em outside. Also treats are good when he is being good.

he'll still love you, but you need to prove masterdom!!!! den den dahhhh
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
spiral

Post by spiral »

totally disagree about hitting your dog, thats a never in my book
reward when good
loud and stern voice when doing something wrong
and ignore them until they do what you want then reward
spiral

Post by spiral »

breaksRbest wrote:

Pound Pooches FTW!!!
pound pooches yeah but also from breeders
the main thing is to stop impulse buying of pets
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

gnat wrote:my local petshop only sells 12 wk old pups and kittens now and they are all desexed, chipped and vaccinated

makes a spur of the moment decision difficult bcoz a moggy goes for 200-250 bucks

she is also litter training her baby bunnies with our advice

BU maria on sydney rd

we are on the lookout for kittens at the mo- there's 3 people i know who want so we need 4 and pref want to get from same family. gonna hit rspca and lort smith first
Lady also look at the Lost Dogs Home in North Melbourne... they we got both our poppets there and just could not be happier!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Lizkins wrote:
yeah ya do. I sent you a PM ages ago with tips from my boy who has had dogs all his life. And you just went yeah yeah pretty much.

you need to do stern voice, hit em on the nose and kick em outside. Also treats are good when he is being good.

i know babe, i didnt mean yeah yeah thx but no thx, i meant yeah yeah caseu everyone has different ideas about animule discipline, even within our house!
we argue about smacks vs no smacks,
wait vs no wait. beds vs no beds. its annoying, as he is MY dog, but daddy (housie) has his own beleifs about tings!

he waits to eat, waits for us to open the door, lies down with only a hand command, drops stuff when you catch him.....

but the chewing is a game. he walks into the loungeroom as if 'look what ive got' , you tell him to drop, he runs out the back...its keepaway till you corner him and then he drops it.
i guess maybe one should ignore such a grab for attention, but sometimes hes got your smokes, your french lace undies, or something unidentifiable but full jowls...

smacking him on the bum is usless, hes a barrel. im not strong enough to actually 'spank' him. and i feel bad hitting his liddel nose.

needs more isolation. but i swear weve done it.
stern words, gruff voice, fifteen minutes outsdie, let him in, right back to the chewing, do it again, he does it again!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ghetto kitty wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

i know babe, i didnt mean yeah yeah thx but no thx, i meant yeah yeah caseu everyone has different ideas about animule discipline, even within our house!
we argue about smacks vs no smacks,
wait vs no wait. beds vs no beds. its annoying, as he is MY dog, but daddy (housie) has his own beleifs about tings!

he waits to eat, waits for us to open the door, lies down with only a hand command, drops stuff when you catch him.....

but the chewing is a game. he walks into the loungeroom as if 'look what ive got' , you tell him to drop, he runs out the back...its keepaway till you corner him and then he drops it.
i guess maybe one should ignore such a grab for attention, but sometimes hes got your smokes, your french lace undies, or something unidentifiable but full jowls...

smacking him on the bum is usless, hes a barrel. im not strong enough to actually 'spank' him. and i feel bad hitting his liddel nose.

needs more isolation. but i swear weve done it.
stern words, gruff voice, fifteen minutes outsdie, let him in, right back to the chewing, do it again, he does it again!

ahhh they are cheeky ain't they. Sounds like terrible twos or something

i think a smack on the nose ain't so bad, you ain't belting him or anything. And yeah maybe chat to your dad housie dude and say conflicting rules for the dog are confusing it. Plus it def needs to know you are master.

maybe call up that pet show on the ABC. Dr Hughworth or whatever his name is. He is great with all sorts of info and help with pets
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Sorry, you lost me at French lace knickers :shock:

I don't believe in smacking unless absolutely necessary. Stern voices should do the trick, so long as it's consistent. Consistency is the key for sure. We've had chat's around Mal's house about it cause there are 14 thousand people coming in and out and Sub's losing his consistency. We've all discussed what's to be done in certain situations and Sub's getting back into his doggy routine again.

It's really tough when there's more than one person guiding the pup. If you're at work there's a whole 8 hours of doggy activity that still needs to be addressed. Common rules is the best way to maintain control.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes your both right.

dad is home with him all day, and has that balance of completely spolit but very stern.
but then i come home and it's ON. and if im tuff, he knows stu wont be, and vice versa.

stu used to feed him off his plate. i said no, make him wait till your done, THEN take whatever outside and give to him. we play fight about this shit all the time. guess thats what happens when you live with the same person on and off for nearly a decade, then get a bubby.

weve got to work out this co-parenting shit.

:shock:

oh and mixxy > we have lots of visitors too, why is it that guys let puppies chew on their arms? is it a sign of toughness, some male/dog bonding shit? i tell all the boys, dont let him eat you!
they say
hes cool.

HE aint cool! if you were a kid, he be mauling you! sheesh.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

THANK YOU!!! I was talking to Mal's housemate only yesterday about not letting Subby eat his forearm. He said "he's being gentle, look!" and he was, but the point is that Sub's now learning that it's ok to play fight with teeth. Not good. What if a kid wants to pat him and Sub's already in a playful mood? Lawsuit, council ranger and dead dog is what springs to mind. Oh, and a lovely news story about how vicious staffy's can be.

I can't stand the thought :?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

it must be the tuff guy way of playing instead of

''ohhh poopy, your ears are so soft i want to make teeny tiny slippers out of them and slide aruond in the buttercup field...''

it shits me tho.
i dont let him bite me at all.

i give him my flat fingers and say 'licks' and he does.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ghetto kitty wrote: and i feel bad hitting his liddel nose.

IMO it has to be done (if a stern NO doesn't do the trick and he's obviously being a cheeky bugger and playing games with you).

It's not as if you'll be smacking him on the nose for the rest of his life

I've only smacked Junior on teh nose maybe 3 or 4 times in his life and he's the most well behaved dog you'll ever find

my 1.5 cents
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

breaksRbest wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote: and i feel bad hitting his liddel nose.

IMO it has to be done (if a stern NO doesn't do the trick and he's obviously being a cheeky bugger and playing games with you).

It's not as if you'll be smacking him on the nose for the rest of his life

I've only smacked Junior on teh nose maybe 3 or 4 times in his life and he's the most well behaved dog you'll ever find

my 1.5 cents
Junior is the biz.....

End of Story
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:smt023

I've been cooking for him lately. I get the kangaroo mince from the pet shop on Sidders and mix it up with rice, peas & corn & some gravy. He's farking LOVING it.

He wouldn't touch the My Dog I was giving him, which used to be his favourite before he got sick