The Design Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

The Design Thread

Post by DBoy »

Design rules my life.

From fashion, the architecture around me, art on my walls, in the mags I read, on the cover of the music I buy, the products I choose, the fonts I decide to use, the games I play. Design is central to my life.
It is everywhere, from the urban landscape to the virtual world, from the keybaord to the playground, from the bike you ride to the pen you write with, everything is designed.

"desgin adds value to all of our lives, it is about good ideas, logical outcomes, sustainability, effiency, beauty and quality"

What gets you off in design?

system
let the hustlers play

Re: The Design Thread

Post by system »

DBoy wrote:What gets you off in design?
definitely good typography (kerning, letter form, weighting, et al). imagery, individual flair and colour too.
DBoy wrote:"desgin adds value to all of our lives, it is about good ideas, logical outcomes, sustainability, effiency, beauty and quality"
typos tend to give me the shits though. ;)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

I'm all for good design!!

The better the design, the better the end product, the less it costs to produce and the likelihood of problems occuring are reduced, if the design is right.. [In my job anyway]
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
DBoy

Re: The Design Thread

Post by DBoy »

system wrote:
DBoy wrote:"desgin adds value to all of our lives, it is about good ideas, logical outcomes, sustainability, effiency, beauty and quality"
typos tend to give me the shits though. ;)
I designed that to draw attention. :?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I like design, it's the designers that shit me
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

same here, my life is full of analysing design and concept and how it all applies/translates to the real material world

it makes me laff when some really simple thing, like a bottle opener, doesnt work!
whats the point?

heres one of my fav things >>

this guy is one of my idols > physics in motion >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMqftVhOuTw&eurl=

:shock:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ghetto kitty wrote:this guy is one of my idols > physics in motion >

:shock: is right, that's awesome!
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
taylem

Post by taylem »

Last edited by taylem on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i think you can tell a lot about a person by what design they identify with...

all that stuff you posted taylem, clean lines, movement and motion,
simplicity and elegance.
the negative space being jsut as important as the actual colours and shapes.

i think i can tell what walking into your house feels like ;)
Friday

Post by Friday »

design is a massive part of my life.

i've always enjoyed looking at beautiful things in an abstract sense, but i think one of the great things about getting older and having a little more disposable income is being able to replace some of your 'everyday' practical things and instead surround yourself with things that are cleverly and beautiful designed and give you pleasure to look at.

eg getting rid of the crappy old couches and getting something that everytime you walk into your home you can admire, as well as find comfort in.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Friday - Nail, head. In a well presented way, maybe in black and white and with a ergonomically designed hammer.

I appreciate the things in my life that represent aspects of design I love. From the native American ceramic bowl I bought in San Fran to the Obey design on my wall. They all fit in there.

I am sure if Lucas was here he would post something like this

DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

Who here works in the design industry?
gnat

Post by gnat »

Friday wrote:design is a massive part of my life.

i've always enjoyed looking at beautiful things in an abstract sense, but i think one of the great things about getting older and having a little more disposable income is being able to replace some of your 'everyday' practical things and instead surround yourself with things that are cleverly and beautiful designed and give you pleasure to look at.

eg getting rid of the crappy old couches and getting something that everytime you walk into your home you can admire, as well as find comfort in.
:doublescript:

less clutter of crap and more clean lines

love red

love angular spaces, tonnes of natural light, texture, old wood, vaulted ceilings and original facades (tonnes in brunny with the faded tetley ads on old brick etc)

hate frou frou, that fake french provincial look and hate country style, baltic wood, blue and yellow checks etc.

would gag for warehouse conversion with polished concrete floors, original timber beams, urban style art and japanese water garden with huge koi

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
taylem

Post by taylem »

DEAN G wrote:Who here works in the design industry?
I work at a small animation / post prod / film prod company. We do a lot of different stuff, from film production to editing to motion graphics to 3d animation to traditional 2d animation to stop motion to photography - whatever we need to get the job done. However all of us have a pretty substantial graphic design background, and we all still think of ourselves as designers (not exclusively, but its a huge part of everything we do).
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

taylem wrote:
DEAN G wrote:Who here works in the design industry?
I work at a small animation / post prod / film prod company. We do a lot of different stuff, from film production to editing to motion graphics to 3d animation to traditional 2d animation to stop motion to photography - whatever we need to get the job done. However all of us have a pretty substantial graphic design background, and we all still think of ourselves as designers (not exclusively, but its a huge part of everything we do).
Cool, this thread could be handy for networking. I'm always finding people who work in other design disciplines can often be helpful to our own.
taylem

Post by taylem »

Stray

Post by Stray »

Transmission Games (Formerly IR Gurus)

A lot of what I do would be considered design, but not in the normal sense.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

thats the thing, there is no normal sense.

Design covers so many areas...

Game design, brand designers, architecture, industrial design, urban design, graphic design, thearte, tv and set design, product design, fashon design, it design, craft practice, exhibition design, textile design and crosses disiplines form science, engineering, it, business and on and on.

I am becoming deeply involved with industry at large over the next few months, reading some really interesting stuff.
Friday

Post by Friday »

gnat wrote:
Friday wrote:design is a massive part of my life.

:doublescript:

less clutter of crap and more clean lines

love red

love angular spaces, tonnes of natural light, texture, old wood, vaulted ceilings and original facades (tonnes in brunny with the faded tetley ads on old brick etc)

hate frou frou, that fake french provincial look and hate country style, baltic wood, blue and yellow checks etc.

would gag for warehouse conversion with polished concrete floors, original timber beams, urban style art and japanese water garden with huge koi

nice style gnatty!! i LOVE red too. my loungeroom wall is red at our current place. with a huge red on white obey pic hanging on it - looks the bomb.

you'd love our new place. two levels - downstairs polished concrete with old beams for the ceiling. has posts all through it at used to be the stall dividers for the horses (it's an old stables), still has the hitching rings on the walls and the posts have gnaw and rope marks from the horses too.

upstairs is one massive room with beautiful old floor boards and huge pitched roof cathederal ceiling with gorgeous aged beams.

:smt049
gnat

Post by gnat »

sounds the bizness lady. mad jealous

love the idea of horse gnawed character

love old banged up wood that's been waxed up

have friend with massive refec style dinner table made of old railroad planks with the iron tacks in em. fucking mad. shits on my freedom imposter
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Friday

Post by Friday »

yeah - we gotta start collecting more furniture like that. i reckon all our furniture put together would fit in 1/4 of this place :lol:

old beaten up wood is so nice. so much character.
gnat

Post by gnat »

what's that style of decorating called where they paint shit white and 'crackle' it?

two rhyming words...
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol not rhyming- shabby chic

couldnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't
Friday

Post by Friday »

HATE! shabby chic. gross gross gross.

with you on the hating country / cottage style stuff. worst. this kinda stuff is so yuk:
Flash

Post by Flash »

taylem wrote:XYZ Studios
word, we had a tour of your studio in st kilda with my uni and I was very impressed.
Stray

Post by Stray »

lol I had a tour of flagrants bedroom.. I was umm.. impressed?
gnat

Post by gnat »

hideous cabbage rose theme

like a bad acid trip

mad love for bose design too
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

my favourite part of the week is getting to read all my design newsletters.

Artkrush / Coolhunter / Flavourpill / 3000 / lifelounge etc
Got about a dozen I actually enjoy now.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

getting som of my furnitures here..

http://www.hubfurniture.com.au
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

DBoy wrote:my favourite part of the week is getting to read all my design newsletters.

Artkrush / Coolhunter / Flavourpill / 3000 / lifelounge etc
Got about a dozen I actually enjoy now.
we just got asked by cool hunter for permission to host some images of our work!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

thats a big prop in my book.
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

KTM RC8.. bam... orange... mmm
Ducatti 848, i was stickly Japanese but now this is my new love... 23k on road, only needs to be serviced every 12,000 km. mmmmm and it's WHITE. sold.

Did i mention brembo brakes and single swing arm? rad

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

looks like a pokemon eating a tire. huhuh
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

huge wrote:looks like a pokemon eating a tire. huhuh
well lucky i love pokemon :P

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
resist

Post by resist »

ghetto kitty wrote: this guy is one of my idols > physics in motion >
At the moment I'm living in the Netherlands, nearby Jansen's workshop. a few months ago, he had an open day. The workshop was pretty small, not much to see (surprisingly!), just 2 garden sheds on top of a hill. Inside it looked pretty much like a regular handy-man's shed... no magic dust...

There was lots of old/broken 'animals' and parts lying around outside. He also had 2 large ones which were operational. One BIG animal was powered by an air compressor. The smaller one (well, the size of a Mini), needed to be pushed by hand... you gave it a gentle push and the legs would start working and carry it along for a few meters. Amazing stuff! The motion was like a crab.. the legs are always moving, but only a couple of them are touching the ground at any time.

Jansen was walking around, talking to people and giving occasional demonstrations of the air compressor animal.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

wow resist...

i would love to see his studio

and to meet him, hes one guy id love to have over for dinner!
nhd

Post by nhd »

taylem you work for XYZ?? mad!
i went to a design night there as part of AGIdeas maybe 2-3 years ago. loved XYZs work!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

the holding page for http://stateofdesign.com.au/ has just gone up

If you are in design, get involved.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Here's another theo jansen clip with a bit more detail about how his animals work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b694exl_oZo
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

mrj

Post by mrj »

cha_chaos wrote:[img]

single swing arm? rad
:cough: copied cannondale :cough:
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i love good design, awesome fonts kerning lettering..

i wanna go do 3d at aie nxt year..
saving like a mofo atm..
Last edited by same o on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

nice one mate, i think that suit you.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

yeah i cant wait, i hate my job..

the only thing that gets me through the day is knowing the next year i will be able to quit this god forsaken place and never have to look at another superanuation policy apart from my own.
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

mrj wrote:

single swing arm? rad
?

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

cha_chaos wrote:
mrj wrote:

single swing arm? rad
?

i think he is saying canondale pushies did it first and ducati stole the design feature...........
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

I think this is possibly one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen [Haven't heard the best things about it's performance/quality tho] but it looks SEX!!

PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Stray

Post by Stray »

That's the brerra (sp?) yeah? I saw that at the motorshow last year or the year before. Looked hot.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Mmm, Alfa Brera. They are lovely on the inside too - wish I'd gotten to drive it. They have inherited a lot of the functionality from the 156 upgrade to the 159, so they aren't as bad as they could have been on that front. Mind you, would willingly put up an awful lot for the sheer awesome of owning one. Makes the competition look like they're from Ikea.

With the exception of the 80s, Alfa's are generally on the money on the aesthetics front (Giulietta Spider anyone?). And I hope we've all see the 8C...

:homerdrool: