Brisbane and surrounds...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
marke

Brisbane and surrounds...

Post by marke »

Hey all so i want to escape the cold for a little
any information about what to do, where to stay, places to eat/drink (fortitude valley?), beautiful places to visit on that coast etc etc.
theres only so much that i can read, but 1st hand experience is far better.

heading there with the girl for a few days later this month.
fly in to gold coast out of sunshine coast, car hire for the drive north..

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

the valley is the lamest thing i have ever experienced. it is literally a mall, with some lame pubs up one end and a police station at the other. lame lame lame. unless you like sitting in a pub drinking pints watching top 40 on plasmas playing pool on a blue neon table.

pig and whistles everywhere.

brisbane is lol. it should be way better than it is.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
nhd

Post by nhd »

haha Huge you nailed it

pints plasmas and pool.

they are VERY far behind.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Go to the Whitsundays or something.
Don't hate me for house
marke

Post by marke »

hmm surely theres something good... i cant think of anything worse than plasma's and pool in a mall!! i bet there is a huge amount of punch ons as well.
have a car so may fuck brissy off, got some friends there though i think we have to visit...

thanks for the heads up
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Mmm.... Whitsundays
gnat

Post by gnat »

pfft brissie is not melbourne but it's not that bad!

valley has some great fun places- gerties, isis, the press bar, empire hotel and for old skool smash up rock there's the zoo- a brissie institution

great food in valley too- tibetan kitchen is a stand out- i always make time for it

ric's on the mall is fun- always some one on there, from 2 dogs to acoustic rock plus you can mash it up between there and fat boys afterwards and into the valley markets sun a.m- they're both open 24hours

west end is good for friday night fun also- have had many a good night at lychee lounge but they do close everything a lot earlier than melbs

west end is also a good sat/sun brekky area- three monkeys, espressohead, the gun shop etc

avoid southbank like the plague- full of families and screaming kids

i'd do a couple of days in brissie over the weekend and then head for the south coast, north is gold sandals and white cheesecloth. hate noosa with a passion but hinterland areas of montville and maleny are magic minus surf. south coast- anything from currumbin on is good, including old skool greenmount/ rainbow bay. can drive to byron from here too and perhaps fly back from there
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
deviant

Post by deviant »

it's just a city.... go somewhere interesting, like an island :)
marke

Post by marke »

thanks gnat.. was probably only going to spend one night in brisbane anyway.. pass through..
will remember all said.. tibetan kitchen will check it!

the girl (not australian) will be happy with anything i think just wants some sun now and the beach!! i personally have not been there for years but i know what you mean, but have to head north as flying out of sunshine coast, got a 65$ flight...
the reason being that i reckon that it will be better weather the further north we go, spoke to my auntie in ballina and it hasnt been that pleasant recently..

anyone got anything good for northern beaches??
CoB

Post by CoB »

dont go there!
eeeeek!!

um..

when are you planning on going/coming?

if there is something on the valley isnt that bad...

or not for a going out thing? just a foodbagging?
i dont know what you are doing

tibetan kitchen is good, when they get ur order right, and dont charge you for teh other order they brought out and took back after u told them it wasnt what u ordered..
just watch out..
if they bring the wrong thing, leave.. or eat it.. *shrugs*
but.. dont give it back, they will still charge u for it!!!
(well.. they did to us! bastards..)
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:it's just a city.... go somewhere interesting, like an island :)
Or Shepparton.
marke

Post by marke »

Cob, leaving on the 22nd May for four days, only time i could get off work..
i want nice views, nice food/wine etc and the beach to relax with the girl.. surely "sunny queensland" is the place.
--do you live up there??

clearly i should not spend too much time in brissy (re: above) just one night was the plan anyway so all the negativity about bris doesnt phase me.. been there once a long time ago as a child but see things differently know!

i think noosa is the go might cost me a bit but just chill on the beach and take a drives north.??
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Hi marke. I'm a Brisbane girl who now lives in Melb. I'd recommend if you're going to go driving around to head down to the Gold Coast Hinterland. That way you can do Brisbane, Gold Coast beach and the rainforest and views of the hinterland.

Good places up there are Springbrook (love the Best Of All Lookout & PurlingBrook Falls), Binna Burra, Mt Tamborine and more. Nice beaches are Coolangatta, Burleigh Heads, Greenmount as Gnat said. I'm not into Main Beach, Broadbeach and Surfers (too much GC glitz).

I always think the best thing about Brisbane is getting out to the National Parks. Even near the city you have Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious with fabulous views to Moreton Bay and rainforest.

best of all lookout, Springbrook, looks onto a Caldera rim (ancient volcano) of which Mt Warning was the centre.

Rainforest at Mt Glorious, only 40 mins from centre of Brisbane.

Burleigh Heads beach
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
thfc

Post by thfc »

Dub sessions at the Zoo on a saturday afternoon is a good day out
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

thfc wrote:Dub sessions at the Zoo on a saturday afternoon is a good day out
Tis, especially if you have not done it before. Love the vibe in there. Went once and ended up very messy by late Sat night.
CoB

Post by CoB »

dub sessions is over :(
finished last year :(
if not the year before that... sadly
thfc

Post by thfc »

CoB wrote:dub sessions is over :(
finished last year :(
if not the year before that... sadly
really? that sux! I am going to Brisbane next week and was hoping to go there, oh well, thanks for letting me know and saving me an inevitably dissapointing journey into the valley
CoB

Post by CoB »

yeah..
the last one was HUGE
absolute madness!!
never seen the zoo so packed (i never went there other than for dub sessions :P)
marke

Post by marke »

Polecat wrote:Hi marke. I'm a Brisbane girl who now lives in Melb.
hi polecat?!
thanks for the info most helpful.. our friend is going to be there when we get there so she can take us around brissy for the day. which helps..
mt glorious looks the goods, will visit for sure.. love rainforest's..
but may have wrangled a friends apartment in noosa for the weekend so prob end up there relaxing, drinking and eating ourselves into stupor!!

hope the weather is noice..

ac23 too early for goth!! have to wait till melbs..

would have loved to have checked the dub at the zoo too, oh well..
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

MT glorious is pretty good, but if you've got the time go to Binna Binna or Orielys, in the gold coast hinterland. Bloody amazing really. Google em.

if you're staying in noosa or on the sunny coast there's rainforest there too, can't remember exactly where though now.
there's a pretty amazing national park at noosa as well
sunshine beach just south of noosa is fookin a1, quiet and peaceful
one of the best beaches on the coast

Brisbane is pretty dull by Melbourne standards, but fuck me their weather would be good right now.

Good to see the dub session get a mention on MB, was an institution of dope smoking, free pool, toss the boss, great music and people for about seven years.
Big ups No MC for being one of the most real people ever.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

marke wrote:but may have wrangled a friends apartment in noosa for the weekend so prob end up there relaxing, drinking and eating ourselves into stupor!!
Noosa is good except that it is full of people from Melbourne. Too much white resortwear, spray tan, and gold bling. It'll be fine for a weekend of relaxing though. I like the bit near the river and lakes best (away from the cafe strip)

I always went to Byron for my beach holidays, but that was before it was over run by hippiecrits.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
marke

Post by marke »

^^ this is true but those people i would not know...i hope..
relaxing is the main aim so will be perfect...
definitely busting out the boat shoes!! aha

not just staying in noosa though driver north and have look see..

personally i have never been on beach holidays, as grew up down the coast.
agree with byron went there years ago and it was good, then last year and didnt enjoy it as much!!