JOBS

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

we need bar staff @ lounge.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

experience necessary?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well, yes....and RSA needed...
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Got RSA but no experience, which seems to be the case for everywhere. Will keep looking. Thanks kitty! :D
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

try Royal Melb Hotel on burke st.
they always seem to be looking for peeps.
dunno how hung up they'd be on experience.
give it a shot i reckon. :)
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Show how long i have been out of the bar gig, what is RSA?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Responsible Serving of Alchohol (certificate)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
deviant

Post by deviant »

Responsible Serving of Alcohol certificate..... legal requirement these days.

I'm REALLY fucking bored with my job at the moment, anyone got any openings/insights?

:? :(
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

oh shit i was never asked for one of those....
retzie

Post by retzie »

deviant wrote:I'm REALLY fucking bored with my job at the moment, anyone got any openings/insights?
ghetto kitty wrote:discount ladies clothing spruiker?
:idea:

Serially, though, any ideas? There's always cushy professional jobs at unis, but dunno if that's your cup o' tea. Wanna stay in customer service or not?
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

BammBamm wrote:Got RSA but no experience, which seems to be the case for everywhere. Will keep looking. Thanks kitty! :D
bummer! your probably better off getting bar experience in a restaraunt type place, and then moving to a bar/nightclub...??
deviant

Post by deviant »

retzie wrote:
deviant wrote:I'm REALLY fucking bored with my job at the moment, anyone got any openings/insights?
ghetto kitty wrote:discount ladies clothing spruiker?
:idea:

Serially, though, any ideas? There's always cushy professional jobs at unis, but dunno if that's your cup o' tea. Wanna stay in customer service or not?
I moved into Melb City Research 2 months ago... good pay, farkin boring though. Cant see myself going back to customer contact (even though I enjoy it better) due to pay decrease.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

im about to go throguh a three phase interview process for an internet marketing company. a friend put me onto them as they are asking for referrals.

its a new company thats had great success in the US.

base wage is 100k per year plus residual commisions, but the first year is three days a week in the offcie cold calling and two days presenting in person on the road.

i dont really understand the whole bidding on google ad words thing, but thats what this is about.

heres the info >

Position Summary:
We are looking for sales stars with a sustained track record of top production, a nose for identifying and closing business - a hunter's mentality! We need talented over achievers who are career and relationship oriented, able to take direction yet able to work well independently. Qualified candidates will have strong telephone, time management and organisational sales skills.

Do you make things happen instead of waiting for something to happen to you? Are you not afraid to ask for the business? You will be meeting with business owners and other key decision makers at all types of local business and closing lots of deals.

Our Sales Leaders are top producers who don’t believe in micro-management and know how to successfully guide their team to big pay cheques! You won't be working for David Brent from ‘The Office'.

Skills & Experience:
• B2B / SME sales experience with a quantifiable track-record of Top 10% sales performance. Past Print, Internet Advertising or Yellow Pages experience is beneficial.
• Evangelism - When you get started, if you can't pick up the phone 100 times a day to spread the excitement about our services you won't make the grade. Over time you will work heavily off referrals, but initially you have to build a book of business.
• Ability to shine in all facets of a three-part close: setting the appointment, making a compelling and concise presentation of the product, closing the deal.
• Internet Savvy - We need people that spend a lot of time online. The more time you spend on the Internet the more this business will make sense.
• Computers - We work on them all day. We research, write proposals - you need to know the basics including Outlook, Excel, and Word as well as a solid general knowledge base on search engines.
• Integrity - There's nothing better than people you can trust. This is a tightly knit company and a sales culture that needs active participants to help shape and enhance our team. One of the most compelling assets of our business is the opportunity to grow and be promoted within our organization and make a difference; we need builders.
• Phone Skills - Not to be redundant, but we need people who use the phone with the tact and precision of a neurosurgeon and the passion, energy and tenacity of a Rugby League Half Back.

Remuneration:
We offer a competitive base salary based upon skills and experience, plus superannuation. Furthermore, we pay you a significant commission on all of the sales you make, and residual income on your entire client base. Top performers can expect first year on target earnings to be in the vicinity of $100,000+ and then grow substantially thereafter as you build your book of business. Your earning potential is unlimited.

We are building a portfolio based, consultative sales environment, so client retention is very important. Overall, we think we have the best salary plan in our industry, particularly for high achievers. This position includes two weeks paid training where you will be showered with knowledge from the forefront of our industry while working with the brightest sales and marketing people in the business.

Apply Now:
We feel that we have something really special here. We need Rainmakers; driven people who are going to help us continue making our mark in the rapidly-growing Internet advertising world. We will win this battle based on the strength of the sales talent we get on our bus; in fact, you will find we are a sales-minded organization, top to bottom. We have a service to provide that radically increases our customers' ability to grow their business and everyone here is fired up about our future!

Google, Yahoo!7, ninemsn...these are not passing fads. Search engines are the future of advertising and we are leading the way for local businesses across Australia to grow their bottom line in a dynamic new market.

im not sure if i can handle such a corporate job.
im going to go through the interview process.
but if i get accepted ill have to go on a week long boot camp next month, and prolly leave current job to do so.

anyone with any more knowledge of this area of marketing who could tell me anything more about this kind of work?

:smt102
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

are you any good at selling stuff that people didn't even know they needed?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

that would be fucking hard that job. those kind need a certain type of person.

quick would be able to tell you about selling advertising.

long hours, constant stress to meet goals etc.

mucho money tho
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

breaksRbest wrote:are you any good at selling stuff that people didn't even know they needed?
sometimes, yes.

but i worry that the type of buisneees that would spend $1500 a month and up on internet advertising arent ones that im used to dealing with.

not sure if i can cut the corporate mustard.

ill ask quick if he has any more insights for me...
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i would have thought you would stick to a similar industry GK. There was a job going for Allans recently, places like that that would LOVE you! I would trawl through every music/entertainment big company and try that way.

Or may be marketing in PR or something like that? dunno.

you wanna try legal marketing? :P no killing of lawyers allowed though haha
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

logic would be to stick to a similar industry, yes.

beginnnig to feel like i might have to leave work and then scout for the right job as ive been trawling artshub for months now and been coming up with nothing.

legal marketing would be pretty much right out of my range id say...
as could be internet search engine marketing.

um.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

huge wrote: constant stress to meet goals etc.

That's why I packed it in (I've sold magazine & cinema advertising)

no matter how well I did the week/month before the only thing that mattered was how I did THIS week.

then again, if I was any good at sales type jobs then my business wouldn't be struggling as bad as it is

:dontknow:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

ghetto kitty wrote:You won't be working for David Brent from ‘The Office'.
NEXT.
Don't hate me for house
nic

Post by nic »

We need talented over achievers who are career and relationship oriented, able to take direction yet able to work well independently. Qualified candidates will have strong telephone, time management and organisational sales skills.
This sounds like me tbh.
1. Work independently
2. Able to take direction
3. Strong telephone skills
4. Time management

Job sounds terrible GK, cold calling and road selling for a year? Urrrgghhhh, dead.

I got offered a 'awsum' job as an associate in Dubai yesterday. "its a great oppurtunity for your career and offers long term stability in one of the worlds most exciting markets"

FAIL - CANT GET STONED (unless I become a woman ha ha)
Last edited by nic on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

nic wrote:
FAIL - CANT GET STONED
:lol: Tru tho
nic

Post by nic »

damn i left the punchline out
arrgghhh

\FAIL/
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

lol is funnier now, good work :smt023
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ghetto kitty wrote:logic would be to stick to a similar industry, yes.

beginnnig to feel like i might have to leave work and then scout for the right job as ive been trawling artshub for months now and been coming up with nothing.

legal marketing would be pretty much right out of my range id say...
as could be internet search engine marketing.

um.
well yes i know you know that, but that is quite a jump is all.

anyways, its sounds kinda crap. i reckon you could do better
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

kitty - that role is at a place called reachlocal. it's been brought to Oz by a guy called Daniel Petre - he is ex msn/microsoft and is also a director at netus (who are responsible for defamer.com.aul gawker.com.au)

I would question the salary - there is no way a cold calling SEM sales ex working for an on-seller (which is what reachlocal is) could get that pay as a base. It would be an OTE and I would say a pretty ambitious one. I would say it'd have a min. wage base (circa 30-40k) with the rest being quarterly or monthly comms.

The role is essentially selling SEM to small businesses - the business model is that reachlocal effectively is a hybrid of a sales house and a media agency which both sells the media and guides the execution.

If you want a comparison - it's like selling Yellow Pages listings. It's straight sales - not account management. Hence, no relationships. Also, to sell SEM you have to understand it and actually be passionate about it (well as much as you can for SEM)

If you want straight by numbers sales - this is what this would entail. I wouldn't think it's marketing as it's not ... it would be selling Google AdWords to local hardware stores and SME b2bs.

Stovequeen can also probably put in 2c about the wider digital industry as she works for one of the big publishers.
deviant

Post by deviant »

job sounds crap GK....

sales is FAIL imo, I did it for years, was good at it.... your soul will shrivel and die like a 17 year old ravers penis on 6 pingers.

In order to make your targets you will have have to push this onto people who... a) don't need it... b) don't want it... c) can't afford it... d) are weaker than you (IE: can't say no)

if you only sold to those who were interested, needed it or wanted it etc etc... you would never make any money.

besides, that looks like any other sales job ad I've ever seen... there are HUNDREDS of jobs like that you could walk into at any time.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

deviant wrote:
if you only sold to those who were interested, needed it or wanted it etc etc... you would never make any money.

not sure i agree there - you are making the assumption all sales job are pedalling shit, like selling knives around Doncaster (did that when I was 16 thanks to Cutco) or selling bband internet to 80 year old blind veterans.

I am sure sales people at Google, Fairfax, TV networks. radio stations etc are selling something they believe in, something people want and something that pays them well
quick

Post by quick »

shepherd wrote:
deviant wrote:

not sure i agree there - you are making the assumption all sales job are pedalling shit, like selling knives around Doncaster (did that when I was 16 thanks to Cutco) or selling bband internet to 80 year old blind veterans.

I am sure sales people at Google, Fairfax, TV networks. radio stations etc are selling something they believe in, something people want and something that pays them well
no shit... lamest quote ever Dan :roll:

as if there aren't enough businesses to profit from search engines, to make your target, especially considering the traffic...

you have this opinion cos of the shitty company you worked for, which you told me all about... sooooo not worth using as a judgment on all sales jobs...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
quick

Post by quick »

I think job sounds good GK... but sheps has wise words... question the $100K.... definitely an OTE... so what is base?

never know... these relatively newish sales roles for relatively newish business can go either way... gold mine or worst job ever.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
deviant

Post by deviant »

quick wrote:no shit... lamest quote ever Dan :roll:
get fucked, that's my opinion numb nuts, and speaking from experience.... years of experience actually.
quick wrote:as if there aren't enough businesses to profit from search engines, to make your target, especially considering the traffic...

you have this opinion cos of the shitty company you worked for, which you told me all about... sooooo not worth using as a judgment on all sales jobs...
I have worked more than one sales job.....

I don't believe anyone has to "believe" in their product to sell it either. Corporate hype and go-get-em sales attitudes can go and suck Tony Robins' cock as far as I'm concerned.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

City Software is looking for sales staff in the call centre where I work. It's not massive, only 4 people taking calls at the mo, with about 300 calls a day. The commission is good and the people are nice.

PM if you wanna more details.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

deviant wrote:
quick wrote:no shit... lamest quote ever Dan :roll:
get fucked, that's my opinion numb nuts, and speaking from experience.... years of experience actually.
quick wrote:as if there aren't enough businesses to profit from search engines, to make your target, especially considering the traffic...

I have worked more than one sales job.....

I don't believe anyone has to "believe" in their product to sell it either. Corporate hype and go-get-em sales attitudes can go and suck Tony Robins' cock as far as I'm concerned.
what where you selling Dan? and why did it suck so much?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Would anyone like to buy a timeshare?
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ I sold timeshare when I was at uni lol

I sold mortgage re-financing previous to that

In the end I was selling corporate telecommunications packages with bundled hardware, like VOIP phones, PABX systems, copiers, Plasma displays etc etc.... basically carrot dangling :lol: was fun for a while and certainly financially rewarding, but I was one of few people making any cash, the majority of the staff were only on base and were used to generate leads for the people who could actually close deals (like myself), which was also sucky coz you'd feel bad for the people working harder for no return, but the company didn't give a shit, as long as the deal was closed.... I s'pose everyone had the same opportunity :? dog eat dog basically

Sales is hard and stressful, it took me years to get good at it. I don't think you need to beleive in the product or even like it to sell it well. You've just got to convince others you believe in it ;) Which is draining after a while.

Kitty, if you are going to get into sales here's my advice.....

Be persistant. Never take rejection personally, Work smarter not harder. Keep extensive details and notes from EVERY person you contact, even the ones who tell you feck off, this will make your life easier as the time goes on.

The best reason (for me) for doing sales is just personal growth. I've learnt heaps about myself over the years, and also learnt about people and the whole psychology of sales and business, small and large. Certainly can be eye opening.

I'm not sure I would do it again unless it was a product or service that I was actually really interested in myself. :?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'm in sales, and perhaps I'm not the best salesman - but I believe in repeat business.

Best way to get repeat business is to sell people something they want, something they're after - get the customer to trust you.

I'm sure it depends on what you're selling, how you're selling it and whom to, but pushy salesman can get fucked - I won't/don't buy one thing from those type of people.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

shepherd wrote:kitty - that role is at a place called reachlocal. it's been brought to Oz by a guy called Daniel Petre - he is ex msn/microsoft and is also a director at netus (who are responsible for defamer.com.aul gawker.com.au)

I would question the salary - there is no way a cold calling SEM sales ex working for an on-seller (which is what reachlocal is) could get that pay as a base. It would be an OTE and I would say a pretty ambitious one. I would say it'd have a min. wage base (circa 30-40k) with the rest being quarterly or monthly comms.

The role is essentially selling SEM to small businesses - the business model is that reachlocal effectively is a hybrid of a sales house and a media agency which both sells the media and guides the execution.

If you want a comparison - it's like selling Yellow Pages listings. It's straight sales - not account management. Hence, no relationships. Also, to sell SEM you have to understand it and actually be passionate about it (well as much as you can for SEM)

If you want straight by numbers sales - this is what this would entail. I wouldn't think it's marketing as it's not ... it would be selling Google AdWords to local hardware stores and SME b2bs.

Stovequeen can also probably put in 2c about the wider digital industry as she works for one of the big publishers.
hi shep..
yep, its reach local, i have been spreading the word that I might want a new job soon and someone ive been working with in street press has jsut left his position for this job and is really excited about it.
He knows my attention to detail and communication skils are pretty good and that I like talking/selling ideas i love.

do you still do basically this for google?

they did say it was 100k base, with residual commisions on your accounts.
she explained that that means you keep earning commision for as long as the client is with the company, but she also said that while building your portfolio was the first year and hence the cold calling,
that after that the maintaing of relationships was imperative. not sure of thats correct really, apart from a call to say 'everythin cool?"

i have more ability to maintain buisness relationships of any kind than to go out and sell adwords to buisnesses, because your right, i can see through the hype, and thats what it is.
It sounds like they dont even guide you much, jsut leave it up to you to target clients and tailor the package and pitch to them, then seal the deal.
I thought at first that I could definately approach all the music and arts contacts I have, but she also said campaigns begin at aruond $1500 a month,
and i dont know anyone in those industries who would spend that on advertising online.

I said I didnt really understand the nuts and bolts of SEM, even when you cam to talk to us @ Lounge about it, I didnt completely get the concept, and im online a LOT. I had to convince Carlo that even having a website had value, and i fear many of the old skool buisness owners are of that mindset too.

she said 'oh we dont actually need people that are cluey about internet marketing, just people who are savvy online"
but i got off the phone and still didnt really understand why everyone is gonig to want SEM, or if I am able to translate to the people who do.

i think im going to go through the interview process,
but I jsut dont know if I can be an 'evangelist' about SEM.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:
Sales is hard and stressful, it took me years to get good at it. I don't think you need to beleive in the product or even like it to sell it well. You've just got to convince others you believe in it ;) Which is draining after a while.

Kitty, if you are going to get into sales here's my advice.....

Be persistant. Never take rejection personally, Work smarter not harder. Keep extensive details and notes from EVERY person you contact, even the ones who tell you feck off, this will make your life easier as the time goes on.

I'm not sure I would do it again unless it was a product or service that I was actually really interested in myself. :?
and to dan...

i hear you, i can sell anything to most people as long as I love it.
and pretending is hard and soul destroying, i have already been in roles where i feel ive had to do this.

i DO take rejection personally though, because i love to love my job, i wear it all, and this has been hard at Lounge too.

but I am very anal when it comes to deadlines, details, call backs, follow ups and personal relationships within worknig ones...
which is why my friend passed me onto them.

Im driven as fuck when i want to be, but there is an anarchist and a conspiracist who whispers in my ear saying things like

'one electromagnetic pulse weapon and the internet is history"

so its hard for me to get excited about 'the internet is the way of the future' which is how these dudes HAVE to think, or act.

:lol:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

SEM is part of what we do as an overall scope with clients - difference is we work on larger clients (ie ad spend between 10-30m annually) across all channels (ie TV, internet, mobile, outdoor etc) and reach local is about sme type operations and focussed solely on search. I think reachlocal is not a marketing role, it's a sales role ... that said, once you have a good client relationship it can evolve to anywhere.

I would check the salary to be honest - I know what sales exec/GSMs/account managers etc in digital get and most ppl with a base salary around $100k have 5+ years experience and are managing/directing revenues around 20-30m per annum

Personally I think $1500 per month for most SMEs is not going to happen and reachlocal will last not very long ... I would approach with caution. The model isn't great.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

right, i hear you. sounds like the angles are way more limited with reachlocal that what you are selling....

and yes, the wage does seem too good to be true.
hopefully ill find out more in the next phone interview, but im feeling like ill be interviewing them more!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:i DO take rejection personally
fail

sorry bo... if they are asking you to make 100 phone calls for three days a week (in my experience) you will only get about 3 takers per day. That's 97 rejections per day.... out of the 10 or so appointments you generate for the remaining 2 days you will probably only close 1 deal, 2 at the most.....

when you start it will be MUCH less, depending on how quickly you become confortable with the product and the different angles and pitches you can use. Also the quicker you get over each rejection the quicker you can get on with the next potential customer.

obviously if you stick at this you will be sitting quite pretty, but only after a year or so of very hard and frustrating work.

if you'd done this type of work before it would be much much much easier.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol:

no need to apologise, i come here for honest advice, even if often its not the 'wooties' one would always like.

your stats are about right i think, because they said 100calls will prolly = 10 appointments which prolly = 1 sale.

and you have to make one sale a week for the base salary.

so yes, possibly major fail.

:lol: again.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

'one electromagnetic pulse weapon and the internet is history"
???
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

deviant wrote:Corporate hype and go-get-em sales attitudes can go and suck Tony Robins' cock as far as I'm concerned.
deviant wrote: Be persistant. Never take rejection personally, Work smarter not harder.
I lolled.

Hate to say it, but once you're in sales, cocksucking comments like "it's a numbers game" and "work the 80/20 rule" will tend to fall out of your mouth once in a while. I want to throw up everytime I hear myself sounding like the people I hate, a'la Anthony Robbins.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
deviant

Post by deviant »

mixtress wrote:
deviant wrote:Corporate hype and go-get-em sales attitudes can go and suck Tony Robins' cock as far as I'm concerned.
deviant wrote: Be persistant. Never take rejection personally, Work smarter not harder.
I lolled.

Hate to say it, but once you're in sales, cocksucking comments like "it's a numbers game" and "work the 80/20 rule" will tend to fall out of your mouth once in a while. I want to throw up everytime I hear myself sounding like the people I hate, a'la Anthony Robbins.
tony robins would never say "it's a numbers game"... that approach is for work-horse style salesman plebs.

Actually tbh, I don't think those comments were very "tony robins" at all, except maybe "be persistent"... which really translates to "be annoying".. which, incidentally, is why Quick is so good at sales :teef:
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

There is a tester job @ Krome Melbourne available. right now.

One of the guys left, and we'll need someone immediately.

It's generally start at $32K PA and goes up ~ 4% PA.

Full time contract, 3 months probationary period. All testing is done at the workplace (it becomes a security risk if builds are taken home). We sometimes work late nights / weekends, but we get time in lieu at the end of the project.

Communication, ability to work in a team, patience and eye for detail are the most important. Knowledge of games and the games industry is a bonus, as is previous software testing (including MMO beta testing)

Interested let me know with PM.

I'll be your immediate supervisor and I've done everything you guys have done, so I won't be too harsh on you if you come in still raving on Mondays and have to take the odd Tuesday off... ;)
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

hey kids, looking for something in hospo or retail while i try to decide what i want to do with my life.... neeeeed woooork.

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Oops, wrong Jobs...
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

cha_chaos wrote:hey kids, looking for something in hospo or retail while i try to decide what i want to do with my life.... neeeeed woooork.
What areas are you looking in Cha?
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

I'm on toorak road near chapel, so anywhere near there or in the city. But can motorbike to other locations, not that hard if it's a good place :)

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.