Justice faking their live sets?

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
andy_hoffman

Justice faking their live sets?

Post by andy_hoffman »

"Poor old Justice are having a hard week. Last Thursday the duo admitted in an interview that their album [†] contained at least 400 uncleared samples, and now comes this photo which shows the pair faking it during a live set.

The MIDI controller on the left ain’t plugged in, but the tall fuzzy-haired one is pretending that it is - he’s got an intense concentrated look on his face whilst moving the faders and knobs. Busted!

A close up reveals the MIDI controller to be unplugged
The thing is - this may not be the best place to discuss this topic - live electronic music is a hard thing to do.

Anyone with a shred of understanding of how the music is made knows that it’s near impossible to play electronic music 100% live, unless you have the talent of somebody like The Bays, who can play improvised dance music using only instruments.

Daft Punk might just be the best live dance act of the last few years, but their set is pre-programmed down to every last beat.

When you’ve got a superbly powerful light show and a giant pyramid light thingy in sync with the music, there’s no way the show could be pulled off without pre-programming it.

So what are dance bands like Justice supposed to do? At least make an effort, and control some of the filters and FX to give the impression of a live performance.

Or remember to plug the damn MIDI controllers in and smile."

Hahaha, douches!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Flash

Re: Justice faking their live sets?

Post by Flash »

lol pwnt.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

:lol: Funny way to get busted, can you imagine standing there for 1.5 + hours pretending to work the knobs?

I remember the acid days when melbourne cats at TBH, TBA parties would bring a table of toys and set up to play live. Not using one midi controller to pull it off but use multiple boxes. Hard bloody work, but can be done. Bit easier with acid when you are using heaps of 303 effects and the drum lines only need to progress, bump in or out, as the set progresses every 5 or more minutes, but can be done.
nic

Post by nic »

apparently it was taken right at the moment it came unplugged according to them.
but then again they are french so you can never really trust what they say

they also look really weird
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Saw Gotye at the Prince earlier in the year with Spiesdogg and Co. He did the whole set by himself, including singing, playin drums, effects, loops n everything in between. Tons of sequencing n stuff like that I know not of, but I know the album and he pulled off a lot of it, while also making up a lot of new shit on the spot. It was rad.

I know it's not the same kind of music, but he triggered a lot of stuff...or so it seemed. He could've just been playin a CD back there for all I know, cuz I couldn't see. But if so, then he should win an Oscar for the best fricken performance of all time.

Er, yeah...

:D
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

nic wrote:apparently it was taken right at the moment it came unplugged according to them.
but then again they are french so you can never really trust what they say

they also look really weird
I also read this, but they are ugly Frenchmen so i'm not really inclined to believe them.
tactik

Post by tactik »

For all you munters, the USB cable IS sitting right there behind the unit, as if it has come out... and considering the MPD24 can be both powered and send MIDI through the USB connection, then the "intense concentrated look" is then plausibly explained by him realising that he is no longer getting any control from his controller.

Nice work on the assumptions though. :wink:
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote::lol: Funny way to get busted, can you imagine standing there for 1.5 + hours pretending to work the knobs?

I remember the acid days when melbourne cats at TBH, TBA parties would bring a table of toys and set up to play live. Not using one midi controller to pull it off but use multiple boxes. Hard bloody work, but can be done. Bit easier with acid when you are using heaps of 303 effects and the drum lines only need to progress, bump in or out, as the set progresses every 5 or more minutes, but can be done.
shit yeah, just the sight of this massive table of gear was fuckin cool, i remember Honeysmack used to go nuts, get all sweaty, then kill the music and announce he was thirsty, proceed to drink then crank it all up again. You could see him build the track, he would touch one piece of equipment and a new noise would come in.
Flying Lotus was a badman on the MPD too i thought, he was definately live, a little sloppy in places but overall pretty damn tight i thought, used humour well in his set too.
nic

Post by nic »

tactik wrote:For all you munters, the USB cable IS sitting right there behind the unit, as if it has come out... and considering the MPD24 can be both powered and send MIDI through the USB connection, then the "intense concentrated look" is then plausibly explained by him realising that he is no longer getting any control from his controller.

not very australian siding with the french imo
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

nic wrote:
tactik wrote:For all you munters, the USB cable IS sitting right there behind the unit, as if it has come out... and considering the MPD24 can be both powered and send MIDI through the USB connection, then the "intense concentrated look" is then plausibly explained by him realising that he is no longer getting any control from his controller.

CROISSANT!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

nic wrote:

tactik = french imo
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I dunno, they look pretty fuckin busted to me! :smt005
i never liked justice's tunes anyways...never understood the hype really
obliveus wrote:Saw Gotye at the Prince earlier in the year with Spiesdogg and Co. He did the whole set by himself, including singing, playin drums, effects, loops n everything in between. Tons of sequencing n stuff like that I know not of, but I know the album and he pulled off a lot of it, while also making up a lot of new shit on the spot. It was rad.

I know it's not the same kind of music, but he triggered a lot of stuff...or so it seemed. He could've just been playin a CD back there for all I know, cuz I couldn't see. But if so, then he should win an Oscar for the best fricken performance of all time.
im pretty much in love with gotye after that gig.
and i know his management, and he was playing it all live. and it was incredible.

and i remember honeysmack doing that too al....fucking legend....

i dunno, britney can fake it and nobody really cares, i bet most people who buy justice's albums dont care either.....times have changed hehehe
nic

Post by nic »

justice make good tunes for french people

tacktic

BUM BAN BURN
the french sympathy man
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

I have it on very good word they don't play live. They press play and then jump around and play with their knobs.
Pretty much the main reason I didn't go and see them.
My mate runs a festival they played at in Brisbane last year and filled me in over breakfast one sunny morning. Oh how we laughed.

I spent about a week chasing up fake marshall stacks which ac/dc have stored somewhere in Melbourne for Justice to use on stage too. In the end I couldn't find them.

At least you can see Angus Young playing his guitar.

Justice were a hot act at the time but probably couldn't play rhythm sticks.
Last edited by deejaypcp on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I loved their sound when they first hit, but it wore off quickly. Plus, you know, French.
Last edited by Hardy on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
nic

Post by nic »

run and hide in wars tbh
Stray

Post by Stray »

No one has mentioned the samples issue, but that is all bullshit too.. all the samples that were recognizable they paid for.
They used many other samples and fucked with them so much you couldn't tell what they were originally.. which if you know copyright laws means they
aren't required to compensate the original artist.
If you don't believe Justice do their shit live, then watch their latest DVD.. shit is off the hook.
nic

Post by nic »

once again ill say, as far as french music goes its pretty good.
who cares if its not really 'live' tbh.

id rather be ravig than staring at midi contrlolers
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

As for their 400 uncleared samples?

Well I wonder if they buy their mp3s for dj sets.

And here we all sit behind desks trying to mull of the ethics of playing a few illegally downloaded tracks, because we understand what it takes to create music and respect that.

These guys have admitted to being blatant thieves of peoples music and busted with their pants down. Fuck em. They should probably choke on the escargot.

Stray. They don't play live. Well maybe on their video they do.
I couldn't care less though. Kids fuckin love it. Everyone wins
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Stray wrote:No one has mentioned the samples issue, but that is all bullshit too.. all the samples that were recognizable they paid for.
They used many other samples and fucked with them so much you couldn't tell what they were originally.. which if you know copyright laws means they
aren't required to compensate the original artist.
If you don't believe Justice do their shit live, then watch their latest DVD.. shit is off the hook.
Yeah the sample issue is nothing imo (and in the law's opinion). As long as they clear the blatent and obvious ones (which i'm sure they did), then they're okay.
nic

Post by nic »

dj pcp in jealous racist shocker
:shock:
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

oh god.
not again.
:P
razyier

Post by razyier »

many lols if it's true. the sample thing is nothing - much more blatant sampling biznizz goes on, hell we all know if people got technical dnb/hiphop would owe the winston brothers hundreds of millions of dollars :P.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

fair call.

it's funny how people damn djs who play the odd stolen song yet think it's ok to sample something for profit.

name and shame?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

nic wrote:run and hide in wars tbh
:smt005
mrj

Post by mrj »

couldn't care less. as long as whoever is playing twists nobs in a dramatic fashion and pumps the air with their fist, then then can plug their midi controller into their ass and drum machine into their cock for all I give a shit.

actually i'm pretty sure thats how you make dubstep.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

mrj wrote:couldn't care less. as long as whoever is playing twists nobs in a dramatic fashion and pumps the air with their fist, then then can plug their midi controller into their ass and drum machine into their cock for all I give a shit.

I would pay double to see that
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

mrj wrote:couldn't care less. as long as whoever is playing twists nobs in a dramatic fashion and pumps the air with their fist, then then can plug their midi controller into their ass and drum machine into their cock for all I give a shit.

That would make THE BEST YouTube production tutorial.
aroes

Post by aroes »

The guy on our left has a futuristic penis tattooed on his arm
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

That is pretty lame.
Personally I think they've been caught out bigtime.
yenks

Post by yenks »

lol I reckon they are faking it.

I use a similar setup myself with the Akai 32. and trust me when the cord comes unplugged (happend once to me, cos i was moving shit around) you notice it. The blue LED screen goes off and you lose all the other small LED lights. Seriously you cant not notice it turning off.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

-aroes- wrote:The guy on our left has a futuristic penis tattooed on his arm
what a shit tatt imho.

'yeah like, we just put out an album, and weve used this like, totally origional design, its a CROSS, but all fat, cause we make techno and shit, but I dont mind of you make it look kinda like, a like, futuristic penis casue thats so like, where our music is heading next, and also it will offset the fact that we like, dont plug our shit in and we jsut make our hair really messy and look freaked out and everyone loves it cause were french and shit"
mrj

Post by mrj »

a1studmuffin wrote:

That would make THE BEST YouTube production tutorial.
ROFL. Definitley. Dubstep tutorial featuring such techniques as farting into a microphone.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

mrj wrote: as long as whoever is playing twists nobs in a dramatic fashion and pumps the air with their fist, then then can plug their midi controller into their ass and drum machine into their cock for all I give a shit.

:blob6: best. dubstep does actually sound like methane being extracted
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
aroes

Post by aroes »

ghetto kitty wrote:
-aroes- wrote:The guy on our left has a futuristic penis tattooed on his arm
what a shit tatt imho.

'yeah like, we just put out an album, and weve used this like, totally origional design, its a CROSS, but all fat, cause we make techno and shit, but I dont mind of you make it look kinda like, a like, futuristic penis casue thats so like, where our music is heading next, and also it will offset the fact that we like, dont plug our shit in and we jsut make our hair really messy and look freaked out and everyone loves it cause were french and shit"
:angel4:
patch

Post by patch »

the dude on the right looks possesed

fakers or not, they make sick music
http://www.facebook.com/patchsauce
BBA PODCAST 008 - THE OUTLOOK PROMO MIX

View this on Soundcloud

aroes

Post by aroes »

yeah i quite like a few of their tunes
penis or no penis
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i was only being friday hyperactive scathing kitty when i wrote that..

some of their tracks are ok, but they are still way over hyped imo..
mxmai

Post by mxmai »

i read a response by them somewhere, something along the lines of "oh yeah, i remember that gig, yeah, the cable accidentally came out, what can you do?"

er, plug it back in, maybe?
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I think they said someone snapped the photo right as it happened though... unavoidable really, it's like being a celebrity and having your tit pop out for a second at the beach... sure you can tuck it back in quickly, but the Paparazzi damage is done. :)
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

a1studmuffin wrote:..... unavoidable really, it's like being a celebrity and having your tit pop out for a second at the beach... sure you can tuck it back in quickly, but the Paparazzi damage is done. :)
Personal experience?
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

I was pretty impressed by their whole concept originally.
When I heard they just press play live I kind of went off them.

Sure anyone can say "i could do that" and maybe they could.
I'm sure they (or someone else) worked pretty hard on the "live" show and their music is
good enough to get them to that stage.
I just couldn't care less.
Give me a band any day.

As much as people say it's hard to play electronic music live, I say it's just easier to fake it.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Smile on Impact wrote:Personal experience?
Google "Butter+Party+tit+pop"
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

patch wrote:the dude on the right looks possesed
posessed alice cooper.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
nic

Post by nic »

with some noel fielding on his face
good thread
deviant

Post by deviant »

wont somebody think of Peter Hook!
nic

Post by nic »

eurgh eurgh eurgh
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

nic wrote:once again ill say, as far as french music goes its pretty good.
who cares if its not really 'live' tbh.

id rather be ravig than staring at midi contrlolers
:lol:

the french have always been world leaders in dance music, but everyone knows that. :wink:
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
spiral

Post by spiral »

deviant wrote:wont somebody think of Peter Hook!
at least Peter Hook has played bass on some of the greatest songs ever
nic

Post by nic »

nearyl 2 pages
anyone seen the justice 'doco'?

not bad