presonus firebox experiences?

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
FoundationStepper

presonus firebox experiences?

Post by FoundationStepper »

anyone got one?

how do you find it?

especially interested if you are a mac user... i hear about the cpu spikes being an issue in some cases...

cheers
FoundationStepper

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 6&#3318886

This looks like some big issues with sing the device portably without using a mains connection... i have a G5 powermac now, but would be stupid to buy a product which cant go mobile if i got a mac lappy

what comparable products are there?
flippo

Post by flippo »

I've just bought one, I use PC though. PC wise it seems to get the best reviews of it's class. There are some bad reviews, but with any of these things, they all have some bad reviews, but the ratio of good to bad seemed better with this unit compared to the other competitiors in this price bracket (M-audio, Edurol, Lexicon). The pro reviews in particular seemed to be quite good. I was either getting this, or saving up some more bikies for a MOTU Ultralite, but a second hand firebox came up so I thought I'd jump on it and save some cash for some better condensor mics.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

mr flippo
you using a desktop or laptop
im in ze market as well and have heard that there can be some hassles with firewire soundcards and laptops.
am using a powered pcmcia to firewire/usb 2.0 adapter
FoundationStepper

also flippo would be interested to hear your impression on the edirol from the review you were looking at

the fa-66 seems more expensive, but is it better?

for stability reasons i may need to go to that point, especially for max/msp functionality
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

it has a mono button
::swoon
flippo

Post by flippo »

using laptop Garth. Heard of plenty of people useing firewire on lappys no probs. I think if you run other firewire shit simultaneously you run into problems. I don't have anything else on firewire, but I have about a billion USB devies. I've also read that the protocol that firewire uses is better for audio than USB, more stable. But yeh if you have a firewire hard drive running at the same time they can shit themselves, especially if you have just the one port and you chain devices.

The edurol looks pretty good Foundation, little more expensive. The main pull for me with the firebox is that they have pretty good reputation with the mic preamps, I've read better than the edurol, m-audio. The Lexicons have reasonable preamps it would seem but didn't want to go USB.

Basically I wanted at least 6 x 1/4 balanced outs plus headphone with gain, a couple of nice sounding mic pre's, instrument and line-in, won't record higher than 96, firewire with mains power, no bells and whistles. Firebox was well suited, and I was entraced by the shinny blue knobs and had to have it!

I will let you know how it goes when it arives and ive had a play.

oh, and just to note because you've got to read the fine print to find out; if you have an ATI IGP 9000 or 9001 graphics card the firebox will not work.
flippo

Post by flippo »

arived today. Can't use it yet, need 6-4 pin firewire cable and got to sort out power suply for aussie power. Seems pretty well build though, solid, heavy and shinny :).
FoundationStepper

keep us posted!
flippo

Post by flippo »

finally got this unit working after all that long! wooooo
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

took me four or five months ...
seems to be less a problem with the unit and more firewire audio interfaces, laptops and pcmcia-firewire adapters.
flippo

Post by flippo »

in the end the cheapest, dodgiest PCMCIA I could find in the bottom of the bargan bins at a swap meet did the trick.
flippo

Post by flippo »

spoke too soon.

No idea what happend, thing was working a dream at my folks house on sunday. Load up up last night at home to record some guitars.... goes back to it's old tricks! WTF!?

ive no idea what has changed between now and then, and to top it all of windows wont let me do system restore for some reason. ARGH
flippo

Post by flippo »

ok so I'm getting Code 10 errors on the new firewire card (device cannot start), and sometimes code 31 (drivers will not load). Yet for some reason the actual firebox still works, it just cuts in and out like it did on my onboard firewire port....

windwos update wont find a driver, struggleing to find one online.... grrrrrr...

if anyone knows where I can get an up to date 3-port 1934a PCMCIA cardbus texas instruments chipset driver I'd love to hear from you
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

1934a?
isn't it 1394

mine VIA OHCI compliant, is that a different set of drivers to texas instruments?

and it worked plugnplay, but i'll have a driver disk in a box ...
flippo

Post by flippo »

sorry 1394a. I'm pretty sure VIA and TI are different drivers
flippo

Post by flippo »

ohhh..... ok it works.... it was something really simple, I could have had it working 6 months ago..

so... embarased... you are such a munt-tard David
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

intruiged
flippo

Post by flippo »

cpu speed managment system, ive got it set to have my lappy running cooler, so i get less noisy fan action in the office
resist

Post by resist »

I have a Firebox... love it.
Lephrenic

Re: presonus firebox experiences?

Post by Lephrenic »

Now a member of the Firebox club. 8)

So far so good. The headphone volume control isn't as smooth as I'd prefer but it's no big deal. Really glad to doing away with USB audio.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

You'll also find USB is pretty CPU intensive (read: shit) so firewire should always win-out during sustained transfers (like constant streams of audio).

The thing with firewire is, it costs more to implement. The gist is firewire devices are quite clever, they can talk between one and other and everything! It's alot like the old days of SCSI vs. IDE (excluding the breakthrough of DMA on IDE).

In short, Firewire for the win for all things that matter. Cheap shit like little pocket disks and cup warmers are best left to USB because its 'dumb'.

Also worth noting is the new USB 3.0 standard will provide a heap more bandwidth and more importantly, POWER. So we may see an improvement in outboard audio devices once USB 3.0 peripherals are mainstream.
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

What do you do if your girlfriend starts smoking?

Slow down and apply a lubricant.

P.S Dan, what are you doing NYE?
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

*catalyst wrote:You'll also find USB is pretty CPU intensive (read: shit) so firewire should always win-out during sustained transfers (like constant streams of audio).

The thing with firewire is, it costs more to implement. The gist is firewire devices are quite clever, they can talk between one and other and everything! It's alot like the old days of SCSI vs. IDE (excluding the breakthrough of DMA on IDE).

In short, Firewire for the win for all things that matter. Cheap shit like little pocket disks and cup warmers are best left to USB because its 'dumb'.

Also worth noting is the new USB 3.0 standard will provide a heap more bandwidth and more importantly, POWER. So we may see an improvement in outboard audio devices once USB 3.0 peripherals are mainstream.
Tried changing from usb to firewire with my Dell laptop....no luck, guess i should of done my research before buying the laptop.