Start from the beginning - Dub.

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Lil MiSbreaks

Start from the beginning - Dub.

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

So im a little behind the eight ball as usual, but im LOVING :smt007 Dub/Reggae.

Im so used to knowing artists and labels etc with breaks that I seem to have lost the ability to source things from the unknown. :?

Beatport doesnt have a Dub section, so im asking for some directions of websites or forums, or artist links, anything that can begin my education.

Im ready. 8)
Affiks

Re: Start from the beginning - Dub.

Post by Affiks »

check ozreggae.com for all tings reggae in aus. ;)
HEAVY INNIT!!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

My place saturday afternoon Lil'miss. Bring ya man.
spiral

Post by spiral »

http://www.trojanrecords.com/

grab their dub/ reggae colections
fucking awesome
spiral

Post by spiral »

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

spiral wrote:http://www.trojanrecords.com/

grab their dub/ reggae colections
fucking awesome
YES!

the album madlib mixed for them is phenominal
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Beatport used to have a dub section, but it moved to: http://www.beatsource.com

Apparently dub falls under hip-hop in the world of Beatport!?

There's been a few tidy mixes from Dboy and co. (even one from myself) in the mixes section spanning over the last couple of years - check em out!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

My favourite dub compilation of all time is: 'Dub Chill Out'

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dub-Chil ... ase/151638
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

if you like that you'll love this

Good range of tastey dub treats from that era with all the golden samples.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nice ones D
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Better late then never, LMB!

Most of the names mentioned above and the one's appearing on compilations (Trojan, Studio One and others) will provide heaps to go on with.

Also, if it's still around, grab DBoy's dub mix (circa 2007) - absolute belter of a compilation (or should I say mix?).
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Brain

Post by Brain »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:So im a little behind the eight ball as usual, but im LOVING :smt007 Dub/Reggae.

Im so used to knowing artists and labels etc with breaks that I seem to have lost the ability to source things from the unknown. :?

Beatport doesnt have a Dub section, so im asking for some directions of websites or forums, or artist links, anything that can begin my education.

Im ready. 8)
Will bring you some sixties/seventies reggae/dub around tomorrow lil miss.
Dub Club Melbourne

Post by Dub Club Melbourne »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:So im a little behind the eight ball as usual, but im LOVING :smt007 Dub/Reggae.

Im ready. 8)

Hi.

Dub is a label now applied to many different musical styles which can be quite confusing to answer the question What is dub? In its purist form dub is a studio technique that relates to what we know today as a remix. Dub style began in JA sometime early 70's and was pioneered by the late and great King Tubbys. In those days man would take the original tapes of rocksteady or early reggae tracks, strip them back to the drums and bass and then dub in and out the other instruments or vocals, a lot of effects where used such as echo, reverb, phasers etc. and each engineer would develop his unique technique.

Nowadays a lot of music is made to sound like dub. Dub is a style of reggae music that no longer exists in JA but today is now huge across Europe to Asia It is not a live band thing though many would disagree, IMO dub comes from the studio then played on soundsystem. Dub has had a its influence on just about every style of dance music we know today. We love dub.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Direkt wrote:Beatport used to have a dub section, but it moved to: http://www.beatsource.com

Makes sense.. hip hop was born out of early dub and disco.

Beat Source is still down though :(
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Excellent, thanks guys!! :blob6:

Ive got some of Dboy's mixes already, love em :wink:

Dub Club Melbourne - thats what was confusing me, thankyou for that little piece.

Brain - Noooice, swap ya - animal noises for reggae, :lol:

Dboy, I have a bday, dunno what time tho, will call. :smt003

Beatsource hasnt worked for me since i read about it, blah. Come on! :clock:
Dub Club Melbourne

Stray wrote:
Direkt wrote:Beatport used to have a dub section, but it moved to: http://www.beatsource.com

Makes sense.. hip hop was born out of early dub and disco.

Beat Source is still down though :(

have to disagree, Hip Hop has a more direct link to Deejay style rather than dub.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

acutally ur both wrong..

hip hop was invented by old people trying to dance to the cha cha without a hip..

hence the were dancing in an odd manner.. thus creating hip hop as we know today..
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah was just about to say that I don't think hip-hop was born from dub.

The technique of DJ'ing might have partially come from soundsystem selektas, but the music was more influenced by disco, funk and soul.
grooki

Post by grooki »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote:
Nowadays a lot of music is made to sound like dub. Dub is a style of reggae music that no longer exists in JA but today is now huge across Europe to Asia It is not a live band thing though many would disagree, IMO dub comes from the studio then played on soundsystem. Dub has had a its influence on just about every style of dance music we know today. We love dub.
Yeah I have to disagree with that eg the Red Eyes are amazing, with a huge, live produced sound.
actually theiy're playing this saturday at the east brunsiwick club :)
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

so really the question that has come out of this is what is dub where can it be purchased and who stole my mc nuggets???????????????????????

deep/incitefull??

sandwiches say it is false, but does the profit really believe this >>??

who knows..

tune in next time for a full explanation
Last edited by same o on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dub Club Melbourne

Direkt wrote:Yeah was just about to say that I don't think hip-hop was born from dub.

The technique of DJ'ing might have partially come from soundsystem selektas, but the music was more influenced by disco, funk and soul.

Sure the musical influence in Hip Hop is funk, soul and disco.

I believe rapping has its roots in the Jamaican deejay style of toasting over records (not to be confused with dj's and turntable mixing). Some say it was Cool Herc an Jamaican migrant who introduced this concept to new york ghetto folk and thus hip hop was born.

Often reggae and dub soundsystems use only one turn table and traditionally turntable mixing is not applied in forwarding this music.
Dub Club Melbourne

grooki wrote:
Yeah I have to disagree with that eg the Red Eyes are amazing, with a huge, live produced sound.
actually theiy're playing this saturday at the east brunsiwick club :)

Yes I hear you, but its not the band doing the dub, no disrespect to the musicians as the play well but when it comes to the dub, credit goes to the engineer. And King Charlie brings the technique from the studio to the venue and dubs it live. Without this, where's the dub?

IMO dub is soundsystem music and not for live concert, but then I'm a purist :?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Direkt wrote:Yeah was just about to say that I don't think hip-hop was born from dub.

Sure the musical influence in Hip Hop is funk, soul and disco.

I believe rapping has its roots in the Jamaican deejay style of toasting over records (not to be confused with dj's and turntable mixing). Some say it was Cool Herc an Jamaican migrant who introduced this concept to new york ghetto folk and thus hip hop was born.

Often reggae and dub soundsystems use only one turn table and traditionally turntable mixing is not applied in forwarding this music.
Yep. Bang on. Agreed.
grooki

Post by grooki »

Yes I hear you, but its not the band doing the dub, no disrespect to the musicians as the play well but when it comes to the dub, credit goes to the engineer. And King Charlie brings the technique from the studio to the venue and dubs it live. Without this, where's the dub?

and in this situation, surely he (charlie) is a part of the band? involved in the creation of the music. And the musicians surely aren't just incidental - who invented the enourmous bass line, played the drums and instruments etc? That is one problem I have with the dub culture, often you can't find out who played the music in the first place, too much credit goes to the dubber.

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote: And King Charlie

same person??? or unicorn???
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote: Ive got some of Dboy's mixes already, love em :wink:

:
Shucks LMB 
I think Quiet Roar is actually referring to my all dub mix which is actually done in the fashion that Melbourne Dub Club is referring, true to the dub style, selected mostly, not mixed and is all pre 1980 dub. I’ll dig it up for you all.
Dub Club Melbourne

grooki wrote:

and in this situation, surely he (charlie) is a part of the band? involved in the creation of the music. And the musicians surely aren't just incidental - who invented the enourmous bass line, played the drums and instruments etc? That is one problem I have with the dub culture, often you can't find out who played the music in the first place, too much credit goes to the dubber.
From what I can gather about the red eyes is that King Charlie is the coordinator and the main composer of their music and I guess he's a hidden member of the band that doesn't perform on stage with the singers and players who make up the band itself. His role is the engineering and mixing which gives the red eyes that dub sound so thats why I give him credit for that aspect of their live show. The bass player plays a big bassline and the engineer makes it sound enormous, then the PA is the final medium before it reaches your ears which is a part of the whole experience, this leads me to explain the difference between a PA and soundsystem or 'sound' for short (not sound system).

Ok I'm about to rant on a little. Its just something I'm mad about :blob5:

Dub music is generally made in the studio for soundsystem play. Often a studio will make an exclusive cut to be played on a particular soundsystem and this is known as a dubplate or an exclusive special that no other sound can play. some times a dubplate is a pre release.

PA is a term that generally describes the equipment that reproduces the music whether it be a recording played by a DJ or live band, they are usually designed for all types of music mainly commercial.

The term soundsystem is different as it not only applies to the equipment but to the crew who run the sound. The classic dub or reggae soundsystem is usually custom built for the music to be played on it and to deal with the those production values the studio and engineer have imprinted on it such as extra heavy bass.

Soundsystem culture has been a little late reaching Australia and Heartical HiFi is the only example I know of in Melbourne. The concept has a history dating back to the 50's in JA. There are now thousands of sounds worldwide and just like a football club each sound has their loyal followers who support them. Often sounds will compete against each other in a 'sound clash' competition.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

big up derek, man knows and has a big system to boot.

iration steppas vs. world sound & power at subdub in leeds was one of the highlights of my life. standing right next to wsp i couldn't even read any of the banners because of the vibration, was smacking my head around. absolutely immense.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Re: producer getting all the credit in dub.

Sounds fair enough to me. It's his session. His musos, his creation and his end product.

Quite often a dub producer will use the same session musos over a period of time. It's not too hard to find out who played what, and those in the know - know.

The cool thing about dub IMO is that it's the first genre when the kudos actually went to the producer, ala dance music these days.

There's countless major classic rock album that feature session players you wouldn't know about either - it's just how studios and producers run things, especially in those days.
Dub Club Melbourne

fooishbar wrote:big up derek, man knows and has a big system to boot.

iration steppas vs. world sound & power at subdub in leeds was one of the highlights of my life. standing right next to wsp i couldn't even read any of the banners because of the vibration, was smacking my head around. absolutely immense.
Lol I love it when it make your eyeballs rattle.

Not had the opportunity to experience Word Sound and Power but Iration are one of my favorite sounds from UK for sure.
grooki

Post by grooki »

From what I can gather about the red eyes is that King Charlie is the coordinator and the main composer of their music and I guess he's a hidden member of the band that doesn't perform on stage with the singers and players who make up the band itself. His role is the engineering and mixing which gives the red eyes that dub sound so thats why I give him credit for that aspect of their live show.
apparently at the School of Dub, which is the Red Eyes without the singer, Charlie is on stage with the others. And on their album Rude World it seems as though a whole lot of the band members have had input into the album. I agree that he is responsible for that aspect of their sound, but the fact remains that that music has been played by the musicians, their skill is basis for what comes next.

Dub Club Melbourne

Direkt wrote:Re: producer getting all the credit in dub.

Sounds fair enough to me. It's his session. His musos, his creation and his end product.

Quite often a dub producer will use the same session musos over a period of time. It's not too hard to find out who played what, and those in the know - know.

The cool thing about dub IMO is that it's the first genre when the kudos actually went to the producer, ala dance music these days.

There's countless major classic rock album that feature session players you wouldn't know about either - it's just how studios and producers run things, especially in those days.
That true, but Grookie believes its the musos that are the basis of dub music. untrue IMO

Those bands that play their music around bass and drums with a delay pedal and some skank and chop just don't wash with me as dub music, there's enough of them about, missing the whole concept

A lot of good dub is 100% digital but I have to say I like a little organics in the music.

I do agree musos are entitled to take credit for the music just like a writer take credit for the song and the producer take credit for the production, but hey we're talking dub here.

I rest my case.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

in your eyeeeees. i can see a million starlights... calling me calling me calling me sayin please come home with meeeeeee.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Big ups Sam for finally answering the call. It was reggae/dancehall that got me into DJ'ing in the first place. Dub came later for me...actually, as I got older TBH. Not that you have to be old to dig dub, but I think I needed to mellow out a bit to give it true respect. LOL!

So, yeah...I love what all ya'll are saying. Could dub be the new donk in Melb? :wink:
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

obliveus wrote:Big ups Sam for finally answering the call. It was reggae/dancehall that got me into DJ'ing in the first place. Dub came later for me...actually, as I got older TBH. Not that you have to be old to dig dub, but I think I needed to mellow out a bit to give it true respect. LOL!

So, yeah...I love what all ya'll are saying. Could dub be the new donk in Melb? :wink:
TOTALLY on the older thing dude.. my music taste is so different to previous. Miles apart. I think it becomes more about actual music than the cheap thrills of other genres (here's looking at you house)

This is gold, im loving reading all this. :smt003

ps. fuck donk in the arse :lol:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

jazz tbh.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

liking dub a lot atm, and certainly not due to age. maybe time. my bro got me into it a bit years ago but appreciate it more now

have filled the work jukebox pc with lee perry / mad professor discographies, and some newer stuff like The Nomad's dub stuff.

red eyes are rad, never seen school of dub live tho. would be v keen for this reggae fest at ceres but setting up an outdoor party in abbotsford :/
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

There is an old dub 60min selection floating around, if anyone wants a listen hit me up.

I am loving the new dub so much in the last 2 years.

Umberto Echo, OTT, Liquid Stranger, Guadi, Grey Area, Alex Theory, Alcyone and so many more that I am still discovering. I'll see if I can pull a mix out this weekend.

So much of the new dub stuff has that dub vibe but brings everything from big beat to dubstep to phsy and hiphop into the mix.
Dub Club Melbourne

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:
obliveus wrote:Big ups Sam for finally answering the call. It was reggae/dancehall that got me into DJ'ing in the first place. Dub came later for me...actually, as I got older TBH. Not that you have to be old to dig dub, but I think I needed to mellow out a bit to give it true respect. LOL!

TOTALLY on the older thing dude.. my music taste is so different to previous. Miles apart. I think it becomes more about actual music than the cheap thrills of other genres (here's looking at you house)

You guys makin me feel ancient now. must of spent my whole life on dub Lol.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

was just listening to an old skream show and caught the dr who dub ... fiyah!
Dub Club Melbourne

Is that Dr Blue and the time travellers on dubbateers?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i think that's the one, yeah. riddim.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

I reckon you'll be loving it here dub girl... http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtop ... 13&t=15405

love the heartical hifi, see you there missy :)
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
shabana

Post by shabana »

same o wrote:

:shock: YOU'RE THE BANANA KING CHARLIE :lol:
Peace and Fucking - Believe
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:

You guys makin me feel ancient now. must of spent my whole life on dub Lol.
Nah, I more meant personally, its taken me a lot longer to get into some quality artists that people have been into for ages. Sorry to make you feel old!! Im a little weird with music sometimes.... ive only recently gotten into Krush for example, now THERE is a WTF! :?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

shabana wrote:
same o wrote:

:shock: YOU'RE THE BANANA KING CHARLIE :lol:
we're going on a journey to candy mountain!