Cubase Question. -SOLUTION INSIDE-

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
tactik

Cubase Question. -SOLUTION INSIDE-

Post by tactik »

Hello chin-strokers.
Hmm. .So I want to do something in SX3.... something which should be simple....

I have a wad of recordings on one stereo track.. (congas if you must know) one mic on either drum. quinto left-ch, conga right-ch.

Now.. I don't know what possessed me to record them this way... ease of keeping it all aligned maybe?

Anyway.. my folly aside... I now want them in two mono channels instead.

"Easy!", you say...
I said that too.. until I realised that i didn't really want to dump the tracks as an audio mixdown... That I would really like my recorded segments/slices still as separate chunklets on the new mono-channels.
(edit* Now I have found file-convert functions.. and other goodies.. but they always want to convert the stereo track into a single summed mono channel. So.. no good!)

Hmm.. you'd think it would be a fairly straightforward request.. and I have probably just missed it... so if anyone knows the correct way to take an edited stereo channel and dump it to two mono channels keeping the cut/edit points intact (ie; without having to dump it as stereo split and import and re-mark the whole damn thing)....I would be much indebted.
Last edited by tactik on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
same o
peteybear™

Re: Cubase Question.

Post by same o »

have u tried turning it off and on again??
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Quickest way is probably to duplicate the track, then select all the stereo clips on one and go process - Stereo Flip - Left to Stereo, then on the other track process - Stereo Flip - Right to Stereo. Then you have 2 independant channels with mono stereo clips, which you could even put on mono audio channels if you want
tactik

Post by tactik »

Thanks heaps for your tips everyone. It's much appreciated.

& we have a winner!!
Kudos to livewire for the easiest solution.
...duplicate the track, then select all the stereo clips on one and go process - Stereo Flip - Left to Stereo, then on the other track process - Stereo Flip - Right to Stereo. Then you have 2 independent channels with mono stereo clips, which you could even put on mono audio channels...
^^^This method preserves your takes and sections perfectly... so no re-editing hassles!^^^

*note to self- always remember to check all the options within the functions.

Cheers.
Lauer

Re: Cubase Question. -SOLUTION INSIDE-

Post by Lauer »

If you want to for whatever reason keep it as stereo channel but want to have mono output you can set up a group channel set to mono and output the stereo file...duplicating the track and cutting/muting sections or for another way of making it mono, use a free vst called stereo tools http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html which can toggle stereo/mono, mid/side and swap left/right.
Acoustic Warfare

Re: Cubase Question. -SOLUTION INSIDE-

Post by Acoustic Warfare »

What a hassle, if you had Pro Tools you could just separate the stereo track to individual mono tracks with two clicks of the mouse.