Remix Comp - Stop! Smile on Impact

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Smile on Impact

Remix Comp - Stop! Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

Hey Yo,
We're holding this remix comp, So I thought I'd let you guys know. It's a great chance to get some solid promo in Australia and Internationally. Would be awesome to have some melbournebeats.com contenders.

Pro Juice TV, Smile on Impact and Dont Doo Dat are stoked to announce that we are holding a remix comp for Smile on Impact’s next single ‘Stop!’ It’s a catchy vocal track with a mega riff. The last Smile on Impact single ‘Wisdom Teeth’ received massive support from DJs. It spent 10 weeks in the ARIA Club Charts and peaked at number 26.

Arlo’s looking to beat that effort this time and as result, the release will be promoted to some of the biggest DJs in Australia and overseas. So we thought we’d give you the opportunity to be involved by contributing a remix to this release!

To preview the single 'Stop!' visit: http://www.myspace.com/dontdoodat
THE WINNING ENTRY WILL BE:

1. Included on the release and distributed on Beatport, itunes, Junodownload, trackitdown, DJdownload and many other digital download stores.
2. Promoted to over 300 of Australia’s Biggest DJs plus some Internationals and radio stations.
3. Professionally mastered by Danny Bonnici at Liquid Mixes and a free credit to master a track in the future.
4. Given personalised feedback about their remix, from the DJs and the Pro Juice team.
5. Given a Showcase profile on Pro Juice including influences, previous work and links to the winner’s homepage.

Full Details and remix pack:
http://www.projuice.org/Remix_comp.html

http://www.liquidmixes.com/
Blaxter

Re: Remix Comp - Stop! Smile on Impact

Post by Blaxter »

Smile on Impact wrote:
THE WINNING ENTRY WILL BE:

1. Included on the release and distributed on Beatport, itunes, Junodownload, trackitdown, DJdownload and many other digital download stores.
Does the remixer retain mechanical copyright control of the work they produce?

How do royalties work in situations like this? My understanding is that arranging, producing and reworking a composition or piece of music is not deemed entitled to payments from revenue collected by APRA from broadcast and performance licensing fees.

Mechanical copyright ownership is the revenue generated by selling copies of the track based on ownership of the original recordings?

If the remixed track is bought online either as a single track or with other songs how will the profits be split or shared?
Smile on Impact wrote: It's a great chance to get some solid promo in Australia and Internationally.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

From my experiences, APRA are an utter fucking joke when it comes to royalty collection (as in, they won't even bother trying to collect royalties for you) unless you're Top 20 commercial material. You'd be way better off using PRS in the UK and putting in a mate's UK address IMHO.
nic

Post by nic »

you can buy your way into the beatport top 10 for as little as 100 AUD, depending what genre you are.
Smile on Impact

a1studmuffin wrote:From my experiences, APRA are an utter fucking joke when it comes to royalty collection (as in, they won't even bother trying to collect royalties for you) unless you're Top 20 commercial material. You'd be way better off using PRS in the UK and putting in a mate's UK address IMHO.

out of interest, what kind of royalties do you think you are due?
Apra deal with song writing royalties for Radio/TV/ Club play.
as long as you and other DJs are putting in there play list, shouldn't be a problem.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

LEGAL STUFF:
Smile on Impact Reserves all rights obtaining to the recording included on/in the 'Remix Pack' and any remixes commenced as part of this competition.
Smile on Impact reverses the rights not to release any of the remixes if a suitable winner cannot be established.
The Track ‘Stop’ and any parts contained in the ‘Remix Pack’ are under licence wholly for the purpose of this remix competition, all other rights reserved.
Mastering session at liquidmixes must be claimed before 30 June 2010 or it will expire.
Smile on Impact

woh.... scandal !!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

That's a bit rich isn't it?

Not paying someone for the remix, getting it put on Beatport and iTunes etc so that YOU can collect all royalties?

Fair enough for part of the royalties... but all of them?

I'd reckon that Pendulum would have got a few dollars out of remixing Prodigy's 'Voodoo People'.
Smile on Impact

Direkt wrote:That's a bit rich isn't it?

Not paying someone for the remix, getting it put on Beatport and iTunes etc so that YOU can collect all royalties?

Fair enough for part of the royalties... but all of them?

I'd reckon that Pendulum would have got a few dollars out of remixing Prodigy's 'Voodoo People'.

was that a remix comp?

Dude I'm being straight up.
it is what it is.
prize is good solid promo and a chance to get your name out to some major DJs
I have enough remixes already to release this track. I just thought I'd give someone else a chance to be involved.

show me one remix comp where the winner gets a cut of the sales?
It's just complicated and messy.
their really isn't alot of money to be made off beatport sales.
If you want a slice of the tiny 'beatport pie' release you own music.
don't enter this, because it's subject to the same rules as every other remix comp.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

ming makes sense i think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

No, it wasn't a remix comp as far as I know :lol:

Not meaning to rain on your parade mate, just calling it as I see it.. and if the slice of the Beatport (etc) pie is so small (which I don't doubt), then I don't see why the copyright to the remix isn't shared. It's more about legally owning your own work to me.

Mate, you are being straight up. And yes, it's a good chance for a budding producer for sure. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering this.

Maybe all other remix comps are run in the same fashion - fucked if I know dude, I don't ready about all remix comps. Just my 2c.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i see no problem

a. it probably won't make much money
b. if it does the promo will be of more benefit than a couple of hundred bucks in the long run for most producers
c. you get to cut sick on a remix pack and work with different sounds to what you would create yourself
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

also, props to soi for having reasonable success in the electronic music game. not really my sort of thing but you seem to be getting a decent bit or air time and interest. well done
Smile on Impact

Cheers heaps, boys.
aiming for a good spead of sounds on this release.
So we might even end up with somthing mb.c DJs would play.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I have won two remix competitions in my life - both with reputable labels and they both offered me a 50/50 split of any profit.

Arlo if you don't offer the remixer a percentage of sales, you will look like you're taking advantage of unsigned and vulnerable talent to promote your own ends (which I dont necessarily think you are doing).
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Smile on Impact

I just don't have to infrastructure to work it out Alex.
Some of sites don't even itemise the sales.
my distributor has agreement for around 200 sites.
most of which will sell 1 or no copies.

If someone wants their 50% of the 1 sixth of the $2 for that one sale from a the release, minus the 50% the site takes and the 10% my distributor takes.
they can work it out.

but the chances are there will not be any profit.
I'm gonna spend more on the promo than i hope to make from sales.
and i dare say the winner would not want a cut of any losses I make.

So I'm being transparent and simple and not worring about that mess.
If you've got issue with it, don't enter.
the prize is good promo. not a small cut of a small pie.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Smile on Impact wrote:I just don't have to infrastructure to work it out Alex.
Some of sites don't even itemise the sales.
my distributor has agreement for around 200 sites.
most of which will sell 1 or no copies.

If someone wants their 50% of the 1 sixth of the $2 for that one sale from a the release, minus the 50% the site takes and the 10% my distributor takes.
they can work it out.

but the chances are there will not be any profit.
I'm gonna spend more on the promo than i hope to make from sales.
and i dare say the winner would not want a cut of any losses I make.

So I'm being transparent and simple and not worring about that mess.
If you've got issue with it, don't enter.
the prize is good promo. not a small cut of a small pie.
ah then you should talk to me about digital distribution because I can set it up for you in a way that will work a lot better than what it looks like you've got.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Smile on Impact wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:out of interest, what kind of royalties do you think you are due?
Apra deal with song writing royalties for Radio/TV/ Club play
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I know I got some airplay on Radio-1 in the UK which pays a pretty hefty royalty rate, and I've got plenty of airplay on radio shows around the world, but APRA just don't bother chasing it up despite me putting in all the correct details well in advance. I've heard from other people who've dealt with them that say they just don't bother chasing up royalties for anything that isn't "top chart" material. I was skeptical at first but all signs seem to point to that. PRS in the UK on the other hand will do the job nicely and you can end up with a few hundred pounds in royalties no matter how "underground" your music is as long as it's getting played, however you have to pay them for the privilege... you get what you pay for I guess.
flippo

Post by flippo »

:(
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Had problems with downloading the pack. Funny file compression?
Dunno what happened but I decided to remix a Pantera tune instead.
Smile on Impact

Blaxter wrote:Had problems with downloading the pack. Funny file compression?
it's called a .zip
complicated shit.

anyways.
winner is: http://www.projuice.org/Remix_comp.html

peace.

arlo.
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

Smile on Impact wrote: it's called a .zip
complicated shit.
LOL
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.