Why do Aussies pronounce H as "haitch" instead "aitch"?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
nic

Re: Why do Aussies pronounce H as "haitch" instead "aitch"?

Post by nic »

bassfreak wrote:
nic wrote:
bassfreak wrote:Finally someone has said it. This is a pet hate of mine too. 95-98% of Aussies use the dreaded "haitch". Have heard many well educated, upper class types saying it too. I'm forever correcting people and told that my pronounciation is wrong. When I hear an Aussie pronouncing it correctly I feel the need to congratuate them, because they are a very rare breed!
And why......? Aussies just love to butcher the English language. "Hatich" takes a lot less effort to say then "Aitch". Just like "Barbie" is alot easier to say than Bar-B-Que
THIS IS A BIT RICH COMING FROM A NZ'er.

dont like this country?
:arrow:
I'm actually Swiss

DDDAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNN

:P
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

hate "youse" too. I actually prefer Americans saying "y'all" over it, which is really saying something.

yoose guys gonna come wiv us to tha paab or waaaattt??
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Don't think this is related to aussie pronunciation but it's terrible grammar when people say then instead of than and it shits me!

"I'm better then you"
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Seriously... bigger fish to fry...

What's with this "hollier than thou" attitude?

English is pronounced differently the world over for a multitude of reasons. IF one culture/country started to pronounce the letter 'h' as haitch - then that could just be the makings of a new pronunciation specific to that region or people.

Just like the English (in certain areas and socio-economic circles) are renowned for dropping the H from the beginning of many words. 'ave an 'eart etc.

Personally, I say "aitch", I used to say "haitch" - but meh... mad whatevs to the 8G.
mrj

Post by mrj »

oh for fucks sake who do these people think they are? Henry Fucking Higgins?

heres a news flashs. this is MELBOURNE beats not fucking Paris Beats, not fucking London Beats, and I"m doubly sure that its isn't and never will be Auckland Beats.

If you don't like the way we speak, eat, fart, root, wipe our arses or pretty much anything else, then I have a really really simple solution to the whole problem. GO HOME. Seriously. Go back to whatever loser country it is you came from. Spend your days dictating to impoverished orphans from a 1932 copy of "Elocution for Gentlemen".

On your boat son.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mrj wrote:oh for fucks sake who do these people think they are? Henry Fucking Higgins?

heres a news flashs. this is MELBOURNE beats not fucking Paris Beats, not fucking London Beats, and I"m doubly sure that its isn't and never will be Auckland Beats.

If you don't like the way we speak, eat, fart, root, wipe our arses or pretty much anything else, then I have a really really simple solution to the whole problem. GO HOME. Seriously. Go back to whatever loser country it is you came from. Spend your days dictating to impoverished orphans from a 1932 copy of "Elocution for Gentlemen".

On your boat son.
Quoted for posterity.

Bigups my son.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

mrj wrote: I"m doubly sure that its isn't and never will be Auckland Beats.
:lol:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

nic wrote::scr1pt:

this
:smt005
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

mrj wrote:oh for fucks sake who do these people think they are? Henry Fucking Higgins?

On your boat son.
I reckon Aussies are really racist too. Seem to love telling everyone to get out of their country....Been a few of those comments in this thread :teef: :teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

bassfreak wrote:I reckon Aussies are really racist too. Seem to love telling everyone to get out of their country....
Not everyone. Only ignorant guests with no tolerance or respect :wink:
nic

Post by nic »

bassfreak wrote:

On your boat son.
I reckon Aussies are really racist too. Seem to love telling everyone to get out of their country....Been a few of those comments in this thread :teef: :teef:
AUSTRALIAN FORUM, AUSTRALIAN COMMENTS
:teef:
:arrow:
mrj

Post by mrj »

bassfreak wrote:

On your boat son.
The irony in this post is a little to much to handle to be honest.

Start an entire thread dedicated to critiscing the way Australians speak, and you have the audacity to call US racist.

far out man. far out.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Go Josh !!

nic that pic u posted above made me wet myself !!!! LOL!!!!!!
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

mrj wrote:
bassfreak wrote:

On your boat son.
The irony in this post is a little to much to handle to be honest.

Start an entire thread dedicated to critiscing the way Australians speak, and you have the audacity to call US racist.

far out man. far out.
Ever been to an international show at the Melbourne Comedy Festival? The visiting comedians love to take the piss out of Australia. Seems to get plenty of laughs! I guess you might be that one person in the crowd who gets really offended. Make sure you dont go see Danny Boy. You might not like his style! :lol:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
nic

Post by nic »

looks blacked up
:?

racial
youthful_implants

he's a chimney sweep.
Strontium Music

nic

Post by nic »

WTF
quick

Post by quick »

bassfreak wrote:Ever been to an international show at the Melbourne Comedy Festival? The visiting comedians love to take the piss out of Australia. Seems to get plenty of laughs! I guess you might be that one person in the crowd who gets really offended. Make sure you dont go see Danny Boy. You might not like his style! :lol:
lol Leith... Danny Boy is the shittest comedian ever, if you could call him a comedian...

I'm all for taking the piss, and this thread is a classic, but some people get way too serious about the way people speak... that is just ghey... just laugh and think what you want, to get shitty cos of the way people speak, is pretty lame... (this is to all, not just you Leith)

JUST HAVE A LAFF... GO ON, HAVE A LAFF... YOU'RE HAVIN A LAFF!!!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

his aussie accent is fairly amusing imo. and you can't say he's far off the mark with queenslanders there
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Lolz at people getting uppity.

O NOES you are dissin the way we speeks my y-frunts are tangled.

Pop a xan alreddy.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
nic

Post by nic »

:angry8: angry9:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

bassfreak wrote:Ever been to an international show at the Melbourne Comedy Festival? The visiting comedians love to take the piss out of Australia. Seems to get plenty of laughs! I guess you might be that one person in the crowd who gets really offended. Make sure you dont go see Danny Boy. You might not like his style! :lol:
I'm all for poking fun at myself - but the initial posts in this thread failed to come across as comedic.
nic

Post by nic »

its like bassfreak is trying to impart otherwordly knowledge upon the peasants of melbourne

HEAR YE, HEAR YE - I BASSFREAK, TEH INTELLECTUAL GIANT OF N.Z AM HERE TO SPEAK TO YE ON A SUBJECT CLOSE TO MY HEART, THAT OF TEH ENGLISH LANGUAGE. IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT FOOLS AND PEASANTS OF THIS POOR LAND ARE ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol: Sorry bassfreak, but that just sounded funny..

PS: nic, I think he's Swiss - not Kiwi... ?
youthful_implants

nic wrote:its like bassfreak is trying to impart otherwordly knowledge upon the peasants of melbourne

HEAR YE, HEAR YE - I BASSFREAK, TEH INTELLECTUAL GIANT OF N.Z AM HERE TO SPEAK TO YE ON A SUBJECT CLOSE TO MY HEART, THAT OF TEH ENGLISH LANGUAGE. IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT FOOLS AND PEASANTS OF THIS POOR LAND ARE ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE.
ye hath betroth ma fam yas get me?
Last edited by youthful_implants on Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

burn, bum and ban bassfreak for making srs comments IMO
Strontium Music

nic

Post by nic »

sorry bassfreak i always assumed you were from NZ. (are u sure you dont have any connection to NZ????)

AND I like NZ :love:

My woooza is swiss / nz actually, so there you have it. actually im swiss as well.

Also prove that 'comedian guy' is remotely funny using science and graphs.
Mysty

Post by Mysty »

i like diversity. i think its great we don't all speak, dress, eat the same and assimilate. otherwise it might be a bit boring :D
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

bassfreak wrote:I'm forever correcting people ...

When I hear an Aussie pronouncing it correctly I feel the need to congratuate them, because they are a very rare breed!

Aussies just love to butcher the English language.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one. I always loved that joke when people pretend that actually believe there is such(aitch) a thing as correct pronunciation in English and that there is a real "mother tongue" to which all must conform (even in this day).

Not as funny when it is just someone who does not like a particular accent and publicly tries to shame people, because then they tend to just look like they think they are superior to everyone else.
mrj

Post by mrj »

nic wrote:its like bassfreak is trying to impart otherwordly knowledge upon the peasants of melbourne

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

and yeh listen i probably was getting my knickers in a twist over something that didn't neccesarily require that level of interest, but tbh i was having a bad day and needed to vent about something, and this filled the gap nicely.

i stand by my comments, i think they are valid and reasonable, but yanno normally i just wouldn't give a rats.
deviant

Post by deviant »

It's funny, I personally do not like bad pronunciation or bad grammar.... but I also understand that it is totally superfluous.

Think about other languages,,, there's vocabulary.. but then there's grammar (including word order etc etc). In most languages the word order is completely the other way around to english (with some exceptions).

The point I'm trying to make is that in order to get your point accross you do not need word order, spelling or other grammatical devices. It's purely rhthym and assimilation and nothing more.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

If you get the point across you have succussed in communicating. I do not care how it sounds or what form it takes.
I believe trying to hold onto any “pure” or ”correct” form of a language is outdated.
In fact I find people who become so holier than though when it comes to particular words to be hypercritical if they use abbreviations or slang elsewhere in their conversations. Some things they accept but others they do not?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I can not work out if I say H or H.

I am too used to asking for Jason. :teef:

Guess that means I probably say the off sounding one.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

to be honest english is one of the most limiting languages there is anyhow, so its kinda cool that there is diff angles of the dialect,
from NZ to the states to the UK to here, to even SA (they say things different in the city of churches)

did you guys know that in Inuit language, there is like 20 words for 'like'
there is one, that means

'I like you but I would not go seal hunting with you" I LOVE THIS!

i this is why i often fuck with the english i speak, i make up my own words, acronyms, and actually enjoy my dislexic fuckups and repeat them while laughing, like 'im having a dap cray' and such....
deviant

Post by deviant »

DBoy wrote:succussed
suc⋅cuss  /səˈkʌs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [suh-kuhs]
–verb (used with object)
1. to shake up; shake.
2. Medicine/Medical. to shake (a patient) in order to determine if a fluid is present in the thorax or elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1860–65; < L succussus (ptp. of succutere to toss up), equiv. to suc- suc- + -cut(ere), comb. form of quatere to shake + -tus ptp. suffix, with tt > ss

:teef:
nic

Post by nic »

im unsure as well.
i *think* i use the 'correct' one (imho)

hhhate t chhhhhhhh

or

hay chu

churs bro
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:It's funny, I personally do not like bad pronunciation or bad grammar.... but I also understand that it is totally superfluous.

Think about other languages,,, there's vocabulary.. but then there's grammar (including word order etc etc). In most languages the word order is completely the other way around to english (with some exceptions).

The point I'm trying to make is that in order to get your point accross you do not need word order, spelling or other grammatical devices. It's purely rhthym and assimilation and nothing more.
I think thats pretty debatable.

People's skills at communicating vary massively irrespective of the language or dialect they're using, I reckon if they can use it properly they've got more of a fighting chance of getting their point across dont you?

In the future will we all talk txt spk lk ths? I hope not.
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

oh and the whole silent H thing is purely aesthetic IMO.

really couldn't give a fuck either way.
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DBoy wrote:If you get the point across you have succussed in communicating. I do not care how it sounds or what form it takes.
I believe trying to hold onto any “pure” or ”correct” form of a language is outdated.
That is kind of the point of having a "pure" and "correct" form of language mate.

Puts everyone on the same page so we can all succeed in communicating.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Yeah, guess you need a benchmark.
deviant

Post by deviant »

andy_hoffman wrote:Don't think this is related to aussie pronunciation but it's terrible grammar when people say then instead of than and it shits me!

"I'm better then you"
the one that gets me is "of" instead of "have"

"should of gone the other way"

:shudder:
youthful_implants

I hate people who say 'hence why'

Especially because they usually back it up with a nonsensical argument.
Strontium Music

apophenian

Post by apophenian »

youthful_implants wrote:People's skills at communicating vary massively irrespective of the language or dialect they're using, I reckon if they can use it properly they've got more of a fighting chance of getting their point across dont you?
Of course - there is also the aspect of communicating in a manner relevant to your audience. Speaking the queens english may have more currency in one setting than another.
DBoy wrote:If you get the point across you have succussed in communicating. I do not care how it sounds or what form it takes.
I think one of the wonderful things about language is that it has the capacity to evolve. It always has and always will. The world would be perhaps a less interesting one if everyone spoke exactly the same way.
youthful_implants wrote:In the future will we all talk txt spk lk ths? I hope not.
No, cos it's a textual form of language which initially came from a need to convey more information within a limit of 160 characters :P
mrj

Post by mrj »

ghetto kitty wrote:i this is why i often fuck with the english i speak, i make up my own words, acronyms, and actually enjoy my dislexic fuckups and repeat them while laughing, like 'im having a dap cray' and such....
yeh i wouldn't worry too much about that, pobodys nerfect!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah i do it a LOT, instant comedic value tbh.

bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Bloody peasants. I hate you all! I'm off to sulk in the corner of my office, never to return to melbournebeats again........... your all too intelligent for me anyway :mrgreen: