Beat.Aid - Jan 14 @ PoW - B.L.I.M, Nubreed, MC Tali + more

On Jan 14, 2005 the Melbourne Beats crew along with some 700+ people raised around $17,000 for the Asia Quake & Tsunami appeal. This forum is an archive of the organisational discussion for the event.
lynt

Beat.Aid - Jan 14 @ PoW - B.L.I.M, Nubreed, MC Tali + more

Post by lynt »

Please See Beat.Aid Forum For More Info

News Just In ... send your friends the link to this thread.
Ani wrote:HUGE NEWS!

The Prince of Wales are on board and allowing us to use the Bandroom. We have a choice of 2 dates, Friday the 14th, or Thursday 20th. At this point, Eskay and I want to take the 14th. So this is it people, we need to get into gear and make this happen!!

We are having a meeting at E55 tomorrow night (Wednesday) from 8pm. We need anyone willing to DJ, hand out flyers, put up posters and so on. Any help you can give would be great. EVERYONE is welcome to pitch in!

The Prince are looking for us to pull in 500-600 people, so we need to stand up as one and get this happening. It's huge that we have this venue, lets not let it go to waste. Lets make it worth while.

My contact number is 0417 943 778 if you need to contact me. I'll be at E55 at 8pm tomorrow, hope to see you there!!

I know I'm flexing my moderation privledges a bit, but the Tsunami disaster has really hit me and my friends close to home. We were there just recently and seeing the places we stayed at and enjoyed completely wiped out is devistating.

So think about all the beers and drugs you bought over the NYE/NYD period and then about the millions of people who have lost their lives, their loved ones and their homes and spare a spot of change to help the relief organisations across the world work to save lives and prevent disease.... its about time we all pull together.

http://www.savethechildren.org.au/

Plenty of information there to help you get started.

Peace!
Last edited by lynt on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
eskay

Post by eskay »

swell idea

time to put our wallets where our mouths are and donate whatever we can - every little bit counts folks.

Doctors Without Borders - my charity of choice

spread love..

edit:

I just read this on the above website:
MSF PAUSES FUNDRAISING FOR TSUNAMI EMERGENCY APPEAL

Medecins Sans Frontieres thanks its donors for their extraordinary support of our Tsunami Emergency Appeal.

The overwhelming response has enabled us to meet the immediate funding needs of our emergency work in an unprecedented time. For this reason, we are now pausing our appeal for those funds specifically earmarked to the victims of the Tsunami disaster.

Stage One of our operations for the tsunami disaster (exploration and assessment), began within hours of the event, and was fully funded by our donors within 48 hours. Assessments of remote regions are still ongoing.

Stage Two involves the setting up of tent hospitals and mobile clinics, assisting local hospitals and delivering medical supplies, equipment, clean water and sanitation. It began on Wednesday 29 th December, and has also already been fully funded.

Medecins Sans Frontieres is essentially an emergency medical aid organisation, which provides immediate short term response to crises. We review our funding needs on an ongoing basis.

We value our honest relationship with our donors and would never jeopardise it by accepting earmarked donations for projects where the immediate need has been met. If the need arises again to specifically redirect funds to Tsunami victims, you can be certain we will do so. As long as relief is needed in the affected area, MSF will be there.

We continue to welcome donations to our general fund for emergency medical aid , which is meeting the needs of populations in crisis in over 70 countries worldwide. This includes Darfur in Sudan where millions of people are at extreme risk.

Thank you so very much for your support.
well impressed with the effort 8)
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.

lynt

Post by lynt »

Wicked...

Also, Red Cross is worthy.

http://www.redcross.org.au
eskay

Post by eskay »

Ani

Post by Ani »

I may get shot down for this- just a thought really. But wouldn't it great if we could have a gig where we all put in the money we would have spent on drinks and etc, and that goes to an elected organisation? I think if people were honest about how much they spend in a night, the amount raised would be incredible. Granted we'd all be straight for a gig, which may be a bigger problem then we realise! But I feel like getting together and doing something like that really highlights what is going on and you can see more that what you are giving, whatever amount you have, makes a difference. Some people were talking about giving up a days pay, I think this would be just as effective. But--- whether it's a realisitc possibility is something else.
Although, without a gig, maybe it's a good way to gauge what kind of donation to give if you are thinking about it. Survivors and victims of this disaster have nothing, which makes the money I spent on NYD seem so frivolous.
eskay

Post by eskay »

Ani wrote:I may get shot down for this..
not by me :)

If our community can pull out all stops to make something like this happen, it'd be truly heartening to see...

let's do it folks..

killeye

Post by killeye »

Oxfam also does heaps good work...i figure any donations to any of the mentioned organisations would be utilised fully.

re: the fundraising idea ani...we could have our own BandAid thing going...we could call it BeatAid..hehe...worth looking into :)
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
Ani

Post by Ani »

Well, if others think we can pull together to do something, I have time on my hands at present and prepared to donate it to make it happen.

I think it would be great to show our city that we can stand up and do more then just party. We do have a pretty strong community here, it'd be great to put it to good use.

BeatAid sounds like a pretty good name!
eskay

Post by eskay »

Where do I sign Ani?

:idea:

I can talk to some mates from school about donating our time & skills in a mobile massage tent at said event with all proceeds going to the selected charity. We can even have a number of charities and the punters can choose which charity their massage fee goes towards.

Ani

Post by Ani »

Sounds sweet eskay.

Now we just need some of our absolutely FANTASTIC local dj's to volunteer some time..... hint hint nudge nudge :wink: Even those who haven't dj'd around before but want to show us their skills....

I have a venue in mind. It'd be good for an afternoon gig. Only catch is that it's behind a church, which means there is a definate no alcohol policy inside, but the outdoor section of it is a different story- and would be a good area for the massage tent (depending on the size of the tent of course!)

Volunteer intake begins now----------

Post by Guest »

wikid. big ups karl for starting this thread... i'm gonna do a bit more research before i donate tho as i wanna make sure my contribution is felt as much as possible
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

I can't DJ for shit otherwise I'd do it for free, all I can do is donate ideas. I'm all up for getting pissed for charity!

I'm sure some peeps know venue owners here, I'm sure that venue owners would be good enough to donate some of the earnigs to a charity and have the entry fee go to charity.
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
Ani

Post by Ani »

Ideally we'd love to have this gig outdoors, so we aren't shut away but making people aware of what's going on. Otherwise--- all for a venue donating! That'd be awesome. In fact- once we have that, I think the rest will fall into place with a little effort.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Me thinks DMZ will be able to make themselves available (obviously at no cost) if we are needed.

Email me (Myles) at [email protected]
Ani

Post by Ani »

Thanks heaps- sent email. :D
lynt

Post by lynt »

I dont think there'll be a problem finding DJs + Artists to contribute their time for a good cause. Definately up for it.

Venue donating their space would be well wicked too.. outdoors even better though a lot more has to be put into planning before you'll even get looked at now-a-days.

Door policy should be a gold coin donation at least. Venue makes their money on the bar, and we all get the donations from friendly Melbournites to send to the victims.

We'd have to move pretty swift though... venue ideas anyone? First Floor would be up for it I'm sure....
Ani

Post by Ani »

a venue would definately be easier planning wise- bar and etc already set up, sound system etc etc. First Floor would be great, but anywhere willing to donate the space would be just tops. I'm getting excited- lets get it happening!

As for door fee/donation, I don't think $5 is too much to ask, and the more people the better.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I reckon it's a wicked idea, and i'd def volunteer my time and effort towards it. And put me down if you need a DJ :D
Ani

Post by Ani »

Sweet, thanks Hardy! You're on :D
This is going to be so good.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Nice. Lemme know if there's anything I can do.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Yep, I'd be more than happy to DJ as well.

Plus, if there's anything MB can do... I'm all ears.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Well I'm under the impression its going to be presented by melbournebeats.com.... :wink:
eskay

Post by eskay »

we could call it MelbourneBeats.Aid

... but then we prolly couldn't advertise it on that other website :/

Ani

Post by Ani »

I don't even know what the go is with advertising on 'that other website'. I thought you couldn't in the forums, but then everyone is. I dunno.

This is definately a good opportunity to put MelbourneBeats out there :)

Thanks Lucas... added to list! This is looking good. Seems I'll be on the phone a bit tomorrow :wink:
eskay

Post by eskay »

they "amended" the new rules when MB took off ;)

Ani

Post by Ani »

ohhh right, i see now. Meh.
flippo

Post by flippo »

I can offer services of dancing around and rounding up a handful of punters. Great Idea!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

When all the details are worked out. We can put them here:

http://aid.melbournebeats.com/

If you guys can think of a better address to use let me know.
eskay

Post by eskay »

sweet lucas!

this is gonna be great!

and flippo - don't underestimate those services! it's all about us banding together and such ;)

(I'm getting the warm and fuzzies :lol: )

Ani

Post by Ani »

Lucas that's unreal- address should do just fine... may be able to use it again sometime if it isn't specific!
Fents

Post by Fents »

Im in.... 8)
Ani

Post by Ani »

HUGE NEWS!

The Prince of Wales are on board and allowing us to use the Bandroom. We have a choice of 2 dates, Friday the 14th, or Thursday 20th. At this point, Eskay and I want to take the 14th. So this is it people, we need to get into gear and make this happen!!

We are having a meeting at E55 tomorrow night (Wednesday) from 8pm. We need anyone willing to DJ, hand out flyers, put up posters and so on. Any help you can give would be great. EVERYONE is welcome to pitch in!

The Prince are looking for us to pull in 500-600 people, so we need to stand up as one and get this happening. It's huge that we have this venue, lets not let it go to waste. Lets make it worth while.

My contact number is 0417 943 778 if you need to contact me. I'll be at E55 at 8pm tomorrow, hope to see you there!!
lynt

Post by lynt »

FUCKING EXCELLENT NEWS !

Come on people, lets see you put your actions where your mouth is. It's on!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

lynt wrote:FUCKING EXCELLENT NEWS !
Thats an under statment! the POW! NIIICEEE I love that place only had good times there! I'm sooo there!

The 14th would probably be better since you could get more people being a friday.

SSWWEEETTT!!! :D
XVi32 - It's a blog
Ani

Post by Ani »

just spoken to them again. The 14th is it people.

They have also said that they'll do a press release for us, so what we need first and foremost is a definate lineup. This is something I am working on now, but if you know people, please get in contact with them and get in contact with me. This will be one of the major things we need to have settled tomorrow night.

Cheers!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Outstanding work Ani.

I'll see if Lucy (mb.c logo designer) has time to do some artwork for us, so we can email it around to everyone.

See you at the meeting tomorrow.
Ani

Post by Ani »

thanks heaps lucas, that's the other thing they have asked for (logo) I think killeye is working on one too.
eskay

Post by eskay »

I'm so excited I (almost) need one of these

:lol:

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Absolutely MASSIVE respect to Eskay and Ani (and anyone else involved) for sorting this one. I'll see you at E55.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Ani/Sk - Ides is in.. i'll msn you her # :D
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

you guys should ask dan motive for flyer design etc.

i'm up for playing if anyone will have me :D ditto for flagrant.

i also have a mailing list we can super spam if need be.
Ani

Post by Ani »

sweet shepherd, thanks. Be great if you can make it to E55 tomorrow night!
lynt

Post by lynt »

good work ben!

Post by Guest »

i'd be up for playing for sure. :lol:

add me to the fray
Friday

Post by Friday »

i can ask the guy who does the 33&1/3 flyer design if ya want...

also can recommend printers who may donate for flyer / poster print.

can also talk to streetpress about adverts.

have a publicist in mind too who may be able to help out with promoting the event...

got your msg eskay but you didn't give me your number! :P

:)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

oh man - get doggs motive and misa to do the flyer - how dope would they look!!!!!

friday's got the mad hook up's and combine that with all the other ppl on the site and you've pretty got melb breaks and drum&bass sorted out on all levels.
Ani

Post by Ani »

Thanks fickuss!!

Friday.. that's awesome. Thanks! My only concern is time :?
My number is in an above post if ya need it.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Hey all. I'd love to play. I now play live with computer, piano keyboard and decks. Also, love to help out with flyers and anything else. Gotta work Wednesday night so can't make it to E55...
eskay

Post by eskay »

Friday wrote:i can ask the guy who does the 33&1/3 flyer design if ya want...

also can recommend printers who may donate for flyer / poster print.

can also talk to streetpress about adverts.

have a publicist in mind too who may be able to help out with promoting the event...

got your msg eskay but you didn't give me your number! :P

:)
oops dopey me :oops: :D :P

That's awesome Friday! I was gonna ask the printers that do the BVI movie posters and flyers if they wanna chip in. We'll see what they say - like Ani said our biggest concern is the turnaround, as ideally we'd like to have things ready to go before the weekend :shock:

You coming to the meeting tomorrow?? pretty please :D

my number's 0402 940 252 if anyone wants to get in touch, lend a hand etc.

B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

I'll be there tomorrow night. I can put up posters, drop flyers off or something after work. I'm thinking stickers would be cool since they go up real quick and easy and you can stick up heaps of em real quick were lotsa ppl will see em.

I'd love to help any way I can.
XVi32 - It's a blog